• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

KevinG

My B6 came in today from the Adorama Camera eBay deal.

Bright vertical band shoots up the middle of the screen when powered on, and it immediately powers off.

Has anyone else experienced this? Just curious is there might be some workaround to get the TV working.

I've already filed a claim through Adorama to get a refund or replacement. Super bummed about the whole ordeal.

ShapeGSX

I'm seriously thinking about getting an E6 to replace my Sony XBR-65X900A. I have a decent collection of 3D movies, and we enjoy watching them with the polarized glasses on the Sony. It has the best 3D of any TV I've ever seen, and I understand the OLEDs are even better. And 3D is GONE after the 2016 TVs go away. :(

Buuuut...how is the E6 in a bright room? That is my main concern. I know that OLEDs are not as bright as LEDs. And with the slightly glossy screen, I'm concerned about the E6 when we watch TV or game during the day.

Also, how is the motion on the TV? From what I understand the OLED should be king here, but I've heard some people complain about judder with 24fps films.

hemtaro

Neo Member
I just bought a C6 and was happy to see that tv came with the last firmware update :D (04.30.95 EU).
I've been lookinh for sales on the c6. Ive missed a few ones already. Think anymore will go on sale or will the price skyrocket since 3d is non existent in 2017 tvs?

Btw idk if it was posted but Rtings tested the "tear-free" HDR game mode that came with the new B6 firmware and it doesn't increase input lag again. That was something I had feared might happen but it seems like they just fixed the issue outright.
Update 03/06/2017: Retested the B6 with the latest firmware update (04.31.10) and the screen tearing issue in 'HDR Game' picture mode is now fixed. Input lag remained the same as with the previous update

KevinG

Btw idk if it was posted but Rtings tested the "tear-free" HDR game mode that came with the new B6 firmware and it doesn't increase input lag again. That was something I had feared might happen but it seems like they just fixed the issue outright.

This is good news.

I have a USB stick loaded up and ready with this firmware and demo material, whenever my B6 is working.

Wollan

I bought the TV literary for Horizon Zero Dawn which I just platinum'ed five minutes ago. And NOW they release it. They can keep their firmware update. ;)

Game felt perfectly responsive without to be honest. More responsive than most other 30fps games I experienced on my 17ms Bravia though likely due to particular excellent performance on the games part with perfect frame-pacing.

KevinG

I'm ready for Horizon when my B6 finally works.

I'm hoping to finish the main questline in Zelda this week, which would make Horizon my next stop in glorious 4K, unless of coure Mass Effect reviews really well (I have my doubts, but I doubted Horizon as well).

mitchman

Gold Member
I'll be happy with 50ms or lower which isn't an unreasonable ask, really.

Some B6 owners only get a black screen with HDCP 2.2 active. The workaround is to set the console to output at 1080p and then disable HDCP before it'll display an image.

LG say they're working with Sony on the issue.

Didn't they release a patch only for the B6 to fix this in December?

Whoa, that's weird.

I have a B6D, a German specific model...I don't see why that would impact anything but it does have unique firmware updates for some reason. :\

Norwegian B6V here and no issues with the PS4 Pro with UHD Color enabled and all the games I've tried with.

daveo42

Banned

Time to download the new firmware. Sad that it seems that these updates take forever to get pushed to the sets and I have to opt to manually update via USB. Thank god for this thread and its posts on firmware updates.

Guys,

I know this question isn't exactly about HDR Mode, but does anyone know why my old E6 used to correctly change picture modes based on the input it received from my 5010 AVR, but my new one is just stuck on a single picture mode and i have to change it manually?

It is driving me crazy! Before if i switched my 5010 AVR to PC then the LG E6 would change to Game (User), switch the AVR to the Cable Box input, then sure enough the E6 would change picture mode to ISF Dark.

New set just sticks to whatever the last picture mode selected was :(

Some people over at avforums are already installing the B6 HDR Game Mode Firmware. It seems to be up on some Korean LG sites but seems to work fine with the euro models.
I'm waiting for the update to be up on the European support sites but impatient folks might want to give it a try.

holygeesus

Banned
Some people over at avforums are already installing the B6 HDR Game Mode Firmware. It seems to be up on some Korean LG sites but seems to work fine with the euro models.
I'm waiting for the update to be up on the European support sites but impatient folks might want to give it a try.

Yeah I think I'll wait it out too. Not risking installing firmware that might be a dev build or anything.

holygeesus

Banned
Australia have now had their update rolled out and it is the 17th there now which points to the EU getting it tomorrow too. Fingers crossed.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Norwegian B6V here and no issues with the PS4 Pro with UHD Color enabled and all the games I've tried with.

I had some weird issues with the automatic detection of the RGB range. Apparently, the TV (B6 65") and die PS4 Pro did not handshake properly. The screen had flickering white dots in the black parts of the image. It also went black multiple times.

Setting the RGB range manually solved that issue.

KevinG

LG Technician will be at my house in the morning to official fix my B6. He called me as he was heading to pick up the display and chassis, power supply and such.

He's even coming like first thing in the morning, before 7:30 AM. I'm game for that.

I still haven't heard back from Adorama about compensation that they were going to offer me. Really wondering if me choosing this route means they've completely flaked on their customer service.

Edit: Adorama offered $250 refund as compensation for the trouble I've gone through with this B6. I'm waiting until the morning to see if the LG Tech fixes everything before I accept the terms.

NYR

Anyone know where the IR sensor is on the LG E6? I put my Switch in front of my TV for a moment to clean, forgot I put it there and noticed my Harmony Elite wouldn't send signals to the TV anymore, thought that was weird, figured I was blocking it with the Switch.

LG Technician will be at my house in the morning to official fix my B6. He called me as he was heading to pick up the display and chassis, power supply and such.

He's even coming like first thing in the morning, before 7:30 AM. I'm game for that.

I still haven't heard back from Adorama about compensation that they were going to offer me. Really wondering if me choosing this route means they've completely flaked on their customer service.

Edit: Adorama offered $250 refund as compensation for the trouble I've gone through with this B6. I'm waiting until the morning to see if the LG Tech fixes everything before I accept the terms.

That is awesome to hear. $1150 for a 55" B6 is a great deal.

Rourkey

Just setting up a C6, plumped for it over the B6 and my normal Samsung choice due to not being easy to give up my 3D blu rays!

What's the latest firmware I should have? I've upgraded to 04.30.65 is there a newer one?

Has anyone got the universal remote to work with sky q? I'm having no joy!

Cheers

KevinG

Shared this in the general TV thread, but I'm excited and thought there might be some in here who wanted the final update on my B6.

When all was said and done, I've got a B6 for $1150. Can't beat that.

N2xXo5e.jpg
0jWvIIg.jpg
r4bTof5.jpg

Yukstin

Just setting up a C6, plumped for it over the B6 and my normal Samsung choice due to not being easy to give up my 3D blu rays!

What's the latest firmware I should have? I've upgraded to 04.30.65 is there a newer one?

Has anyone got the universal remote to work with sky q? I'm having no joy!

Cheers

I have 4.30.95 but that may only be available in NA right now.

KevinG

What are the best settings for watching, say, Moana, on bluray on my B6?

OG Xbox One or PS4 Pro?

Picture settings and such?

Noticed it looked a bit soft.

dbztrk

Shared this in the genera TV thread, but I'm excited and thought there might be some in here who wanted the final update on my B6.

When all was said and done, I've got a B6 for $1150. Can't beat that.

DEAR GOD... That is beautiful! I can't wait to get a 2018 OLED. The wait is killing me.

holygeesus

Banned
Anyone tried that on a German B6?

It should be fine. If it lets you install it then you will have no issues as it is straight off the LG servers.

I have to say, I was sceptical as to the difference it would make during HDR gaming. How wrong I was.

Edit - definitely works in Germany.

KevinG

Glad my European OLED peeps finally have access to everything.

I still have yet to play a game that utilizes it. I have Breath of the Wild still keeping me busy, but will be buying Horizon for my Pro when I finish with it.

Top Bottom