• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

holygeesus

Banned
Nothing changes for me either on the PS4 Pro When selecting color range.

I too thought maybe the blacks were being crushed because there was an instance when I was looking for a collectible at night climbing a tower and it got to the point to where I literally could not see where I was supposed to go. I thought maybe it's the HDR just being really aggressive but I'm not quite too sure.

Adjusting the black level on the TV obviously makes a difference but the high setting doesn't necessarily look bad but it definitely looks more gray than I feel like it's supposed to.

Were you playing in daylight? These sets aren't best suited to bringing out shadow detail unless in a very dark room. If your blacks are looking grey, your black level is definitely not set right.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Were you playing in daylight? These sets aren't best suited to bringing out shadow detail unless in a very dark room. If your blacks are looking grey, your black level is definitely not set right.

It was at night. (In game and outside lol)

Again, it wasn't that they were grey on low for black detail level, it was that they were TOO black. I literally couldn't see in front me.

But I could see the light coming though the windows in Game. I think it was just the HDR being really aggressive. Even adjusting the in game brightness didn't do a thing.

Ratchet and clank looks amazing though in HDR. No issues with blacks.

holygeesus

Banned
Fuck me. I'm convinced now that LG are trolling us in the EU with this shit.

US get's another update:

1KV09VI.png

Meanwhile we have gone more than 3 months since our last firmware revision. Never buying an LG product again.

Pagusas

Elden Member

US get's another update:

Meanwhile we have gone more than 3 months since our last firmware revision. Never buying an LG product again.

Maybe buy a US version of the set next time? Is that possible?

Ein Bear

US get's another update:

Oh for fuck's sake. This is getting ridiculous now.

Now that they fixed the issues with HDR Game Mode, isn't it likely that it's also getting rolled out to other regions relatively soon?

Colbert

Banned
I am on the fence on buying an LG OLED but reading how the EU is treaded in regards to firmware updates to reduce the input lag it's maybe a better idea to go with Samsung Quantum Dot TVs.

I am on the fence on buying an LG OLED but reading how the EU is treaded in regards to firmware updates to reduce the input lag it's maybe a better idea to go with Samsung Quantum Dot TVs.

I got a B6 recently and can tell you on the latest patch for UK is fine, I can still play Call of Duty with zero issues, you can't notice.

KevinG

My B6 will be here Wednesday.

So excited that more improvements have hit right before mine arrives. Was worried about the screen tearing.

My guess is that the firmware was delayed for other regions to improve the screen tearing issue on the US firmware.

Lucifon

US get's another update:

Whilst it sucks wasn't there reports of issues with that last update? Maybe LG have been waiting for this latest update to fix things then match it for EU markets? I have a feeling it'll show up in a few weeks and be this latest version.

Sanctuary

It was at night. (In game and outside lol)

Again, it wasn't that they were grey on low for black detail level, it was that they were TOO black. I literally couldn't see in front me.

But I could see the light coming though the windows in Game. I think it was just the HDR being really aggressive. Even adjusting the in game brightness didn't do a thing.

Ratchet and clank looks amazing though in HDR. No issues with blacks.

I'm having the exact same problem with my B6 and the Pro with black levels. RGB Limited, YUV420 and YUV422 (what is used for HDR games on the PS4) should all be using black level Low. Yet it absolutely crushes blacks with this TV playing Horizon, and shadow details are not enhanced with HDR like they should be. They aren't even preserved. Raising the brightness of the TV (the in game brightness adjustment is terrible too) does not clarify this either, it simply raises the black levels overall, and the screen becomes washed out after a point. Having black level on High, despite it not being "proper" does add a very minor lightening effect to the overall screen, but black shadows are still black, and you can actually see detail in them. This is especially apparent inside the Cauldron. Having it set to Low just completely removes details that you should be seeing and makes way too many parts of the game crushed.

There's even one short section of the game where you're inside of a dimly lit resting place (that's near another entrance to another Cauldron I think) where it's very dark even with the black level set to High. Yet there are candles everywhere, so while it should be dim, it shouldn't be pitch black a few meters ahead of you. Well, it is when it's set to Low and that's just entirely unrealistic.

While playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my B6 in HDR I kept wondering why the picture was so dark. So I thought the TV black level might be wrong and I changed it from Low to High. This however elevated the blacks (which made sense to me since the PS4 was set to RGB Limited).
I then set the PS4 to Full and the TV to High and suddenly black levels were perfect with no black crush. So while the combination Limited/Low should technically be correct there seems to be some strange incompatibility when playing in HDR.

To summarize, when playing on PS4 in HDR make sure your PS4 ist set to RGB Full and the LG is set to Black Level High. All other combinations produce wrong black levels.

This is my experience too. But that doesn't actually make any sense, due to it changing to YUV422 automatically anyway when switching to HDR. YUV422 is already Limited, and you cannot output 10-bit HDR with RGB Full, so even if you have it set to RGB Full, it shouldn't have any effect at all once the system switches to YUV422. I have mine set to RGB Full by default anyway, and even though it shouldn't be working this way, having black level set to High gives the most accurate picture with the B6.

Yeah, 'High' black level on the B6 is just the wrong setting for HDR. It completely washes the image out so blacks look grey. Setting the PS4 to Limited and keeping Black Level on Low is the way to go.

It doesn't on my TV. Your console settings shouldn't have any effect anyway outside of SDR gaming. YUV422 is YUV422.

This is my experience too. But that doesn't actually make any sense, due to it changing to YUV422 automatically anyway when switching to HDR. YUV422 is already Limited, and you cannot output 10-bit HDR with RGB Full, so even if you have it set to RGB Full, it shouldn't have any effect at all once the system switches to YUV422. I have mine set to RGB Full by default anyway, and even though it shouldn't be working this way, having black level set to High gives the most accurate picture with the B6.

I'm playing on standard PS4, so in my case it is not outputting a YUV signal but standard RGB. In this case changing the PS4 RGB setting between Limited and Full does have an effect even in HDR.

LilJoka

US get's another update:

Maybe this will be the update that hits the EU. I really hope so.

Sanctuary

Anyone able to unzip the new firmware? Keeps showing up as corrupt for me every single time I download it.

Just finished installing. Had a hell of a time getting it to actually recognize that there was an update on the flash drive too. I've had issues with the single USB slot on this TV too since I've had it.

I can't find any impressions on the new firmware.

Supposed to just fix the tearing that would happen with some games. It also says "Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag", but it already had it from the last update.

Just finished installing. Had a hell of a time getting it to actually recognize that there was an update on the flash drive too. I've had issues with the single USB slot on this TV too since I've had it.

How are you even extracting the file in the first place? The file on LG's website is corrupt. I've downloaded using multiple browsers.

holygeesus

Banned
It doesn't on my TV. Your console settings shouldn't have any effect anyway outside of SDR gaming. YUV422 is YUV422.

HDR can be 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 depending on whether you set your resolution to 2160p RGB or YUV420 on the B6 at least. It definitely does exactly what I say on my PS4 Pro and using Resident Evil 7 as an example.

Wollan

@Burdy75 48 minutes ago
@Wollan I've just spoken to LG customer support about the HDR game mode he read out a statement saying it's rolling out mid march.

KevinG

Is there any way to disable the ABL? I see it is listed as a negative in the Rtings.com review. I'm not even sure it would be something I would notice or be bothered by.

Also, any recommended settings for a game like Breath of the Wild on this set? I know it'll upscale from 900p, and with the framerate drops (I haven't honestly been noticing them very frequently) it might show the motion issues that Rtings.com talked about. Just want to make sure when I set it all up that I can jump back into docked Breath of the Wild as soon as possible.

Yukstin

Is there any way to disable the ABL? I see it is listed as a negative in the Rtings.com review. I'm not even sure it would be something I would notice or be bothered by.

Also, any recommended settings for a game like Breath of the Wild on this set? I know it'll upscale from 900p, and with the framerate drops (I haven't honestly been noticing them very frequently) it might show the motion issues that Rtings.com talked about. Just want to make sure when I set it all up that I can jump back into docked Breath of the Wild as soon as possible.

I turn it on game mode for all SDR game content. I don't encounter any motion issues with game mode which includes disabling trumotion. I have setup my game mode settings to mimic my ISF room setting in regards to contrast, OLED light etc.

Owners of a C6 or B6, is this a very bright TV? I have the EC9300 and I love it but after having seen my brother's Samsung Ks7000 in terms of how bright it gets I would love to have a TV that bright.

Are the C6/B6 a lot brighter than my EC9300?

x3sphere

Owners of a C6 or B6, is this a very bright TV? I have the EC9300 and I love it but after having seen my brother's Samsung Ks7000 in terms of how bright it gets I would love to have a TV that bright.

Are the C6/B6 a lot brighter than my EC9300?

I had the EC9300 and I'd say the C6 can get around twice as bright. Not as bright as modern LCDs, but it's bright enough for me - although I have to I say didn't really have a problem with the brightness on the EC9300 either. I find myself turning the oled light down to around 40 on the C6.

I had the EC9300 and I'd say the C6 can get around twice as bright. Not as bright as modern LCDs, but it's bright enough for me - although I have to I say didn't really have a problem with the brightness on the EC9300 either. I find myself turning the oled light down to around 40 on the C6.

Thanks man. Good to know. I'll be going for the C6 or B6 this year, depending on which is cheaper at the time.

The C6 already has the HDR input lag in Europe, right?

But if not, and this concerns the B6 as well, can't you just put the TVs country to USA and download that latest patch or doesn't it work like that?

Taggen86

Do anyone know if wide or normal colour gamut is correct for games? What is the consensus among professional calibrators? According to this video from the professional calibrators at HDtv test, normal is correct for movies:
LG 2016 OLED TV Color Gamut Setting: Normal or...
. When someone asks in the comments whether this also apply to games, they say no, suggesting that wide is correct for games. Furthermore, the colours look washed out in normal in many games such as uncharted 4 (just try some jungle scenes). Still many people here think that normal is correct.

Edit: In the 2017 oleds, standard has been renamed auto, so I guess it is the correct setting for hdr content, regardless the content played.

Do anyone know if wide or normal colour gamut is correct for games? What is the consensus among professional calibrators? According to this video from the professional calibrators at HDtv test, normal is correct for movies:
LG 2016 OLED TV Color Gamut Setting: Normal or...
. When someone asks in the comments whether this also apply to games, they say no, suggesting that wide is correct for games. Furthermore, the colours look washed out in normal in many games such as uncharted 4 (just try some jungle scenes). Still many people here think that normal is correct.

Normal with Color at 55 looks fine to me. Just look at a game like The Witness and Wide with Color at 65 (default settings for HDR Game mode) looks insanely saturated.

Top Bottom