• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Kyoufu

I hooked the TV up yesterday and really enjoyed my first hours with it. This morning though I checked the panel and found a single dead sub pixel (always black while the image on screen is green).

Just called amazon and they don't have the tv in stock anymore. Seems like I am stuck with the tv unless I want to return it and not be able to get the same deal on the 55b6d anymore. Will call LG support on Monday but my hopes aren't too high considering that they often don't count a single pixel as a fault. What are your experiences? Should I just live with that one dead sub pixel? How likely is it that a replacement does have the same or different/more faults?!

If it's noticeable then I'd get a refund tbh. In the meantime try things like the stuck pixel YouTube videos and the Clear Panel noise features to see if it works, but personally I wouldn't be able to deal with it if it's really noticeable tbh.

PeterGAF

Banned
Oh hey, this thread got bumped again. Perfect time to ask this question:

There's B6 (55inch) that has been sitting on a store shelf for a while now and the store is trying to get rid of it. It's a display unit that has probably been running all day for the past several months and it's going for $1799. I'm still waiting for it to drop further since it dropped down from $1999 not long ago but should I even bother with display units? I've never bought a used TV before so I wouldn't know. And what price should I pull the trigger for used? I don't want to spend too much but I also don't know how much I should realistically expect it to drop.

Dead/Stuck (sub)pixels is one test that I never do on new TVs, though if you really see it from your normal seating position, then I'd try to get a panel replacement.
You could check how the near black uniformity of your B6 fares and add that as another reason for a new panel if the vertical bands and/or dark edges are excessive enough.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, like Kyoufu said, if still possible, then get a refund.

PixelNoise

Neo Member
Hi guys,
Probably this was already posted somewhere. What settings are you using in game mode ?
Like Oled light, Contrast, Brightness and so on.

Can someone post numbers ?

mitchman

Gold Member
Thanks. It was a big help.

Concerning about HDR mode. I booted up Horizon Hero Dawn. I can choose usual HDR Preset on TV, but I cant get HDR Game Mode ?? I have 04.31.10 update. Anyone can help ?? How to activate HDR Game Mode ??

Did you enable UHD Deep Color or whatever it's called on the input?

E6 owner myself, found someone willing to buy it and upgrading to the C7.

I hope the input lag is better. I play via pc, and find it unusable for shooters such as Battlegrounds. Far far too floaty.

And I HATE how the E6 has a built in soundbar. I have an excellent 5.1 setup, so never used it.

E6 owner myself, found someone willing to buy it and upgrading to the C7.

I hope the input lag is better. I play via pc, and find it unusable for shooters such as Battlegrounds. Far far too floaty.

And I HATE how the E6 has a built in soundbar. I have an excellent 5.1 setup, so never used it.

To each their own. I play pubg on mine all the time and it plays great. Maybe I'm just used to it though

Miker

Okay, so I'm having a really strange problem w/ my B6:

When it's hooked up to my PC via HDMI (3840x2160/60/RGB full), the sides of the screen get cut off pixel by pixel over time. It's bizarre. After about half an hour of use, half of the scrollbar (on the right side on a maximized window) is cut off. This is with the TV set to "original" aspect ratio, nVidia control panel set to aspect ratio as well. If I change the aspect ratio on the TV back and forth between something else and put it back to original, it goes back to normal and starts over again. Anybody have suggestions?

Okay, so I'm having a really strange problem w/ my B6:

When it's hooked up to my PC via HDMI (3840x2160/60/RGB full), the sides of the screen get cut off pixel by pixel over time. It's bizarre. After about half an hour of use, half of the scrollbar (on the right side on a maximized window) is cut off. This is with the TV set to "original" aspect ratio, nVidia control panel set to aspect ratio as well. If I change the aspect ratio on the TV back and forth between something else and put it back to original, it goes back to normal and starts over again. Anybody have suggestions?

Sounds like the screen shift feature that's supposed to protect from screen burn. You can turn it off in the settings menu. I have it turned off and it didn't cause me any problems with image retention.

Has anyone owned both the Samsung KS8000 and the B6?

I got a KS8000 55" for $760 earlier this year but these OLEDs are really tempting. The 55" B6 is under $2k these days.

The Samsung is great, but the blacks are not very deep (or uniform) and the HDR is hardly noticeable. Plus being a VA panel, the viewing angles are absolutely horrendous.

Colbert

Banned
Did not want to make a new thread and this one is the one with the newest updates so I share here.

For anyone in Germany is interested into a LG OLED 4K TV for less money than usual there is a special offer by mediamarkt.de for LG OLED B6D 55" and 65" for a limited time:

LG OLED B6D 65" 2996,- Euro Direct Link

LG OLED B6D 55" 1796,- Euro Direct Link

I for myself own a 65" B6D. That TV is amazing!

Sanctuary

Concerning about HDR mode. I booted up Horizon Hero Dawn. I can choose usual HDR Preset on TV, but I cant get HDR Game Mode ?? I have 04.31.10 update. Anyone can help ?? How to activate HDR Game Mode ??

Late reply, but you aren't by chance talking about the "HDR" picture mode that can be selected at any time are you? Because that's not actually HDR at all. Also, can't speak for anyone else, but on the B6 at least, I don't see any point in actually using the game mode with HDR since it looks awful in comparison, and the input lag is essentially identical somehow anyway.

If you have NVIDIA you should probably use Adaptive Vsync.

So, how many folks use the 55B6 as a PC monitor?

Does playing PC games on it count?

Colbert

Banned

Have you enabled "Deep Color" on your HDMI ports on your LG OLED ? Before you don't do that I had similar issues when connecting my Xbox One S. But after I enabled it all worked fine. You also may have to restart the TV in order to reset the connection between your PS4 and your TV.

csamuelsvt

Neo Member
Just bought yesterday the OLED 55C7P from Best Buy and I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment lol. I bought a Samsung KS8000 when they were on sale recently and then read more about the OLED TV's and how amazing they are so, purchased one. Typically have been a Samsung TV owner.

This set has a LOT of settings and I am overwhelmed haha.

Is there somewhere with this particular set that I can get the best settings for PS4 Pro(HDR too) and Xbox One S? Also, if anyone has anything for regular TV that would be great too.

REALLY appreciate it guys!

SOLDIER

Not a day passes where I don't have to turn the E6 on and off or even unplug the PS4's HDMI cable because of the handshake problem. Is this ever going to get patched?

Also I was wondering what Nvidia settings people had for PC content displayed on the TV.

ukas

Not a day passes where I don't have to turn the E6 on and off or even unplug the PS4's HDMI cable because of the handshake problem. Is this ever going to get patched?

Also I was wondering what Nvidia settings people had for PC content displayed on the TV.

Weeks pass for me and my E6.

I don't have a handshake problem on my C6 and PS4 Pro.

I did have a problem with connecting my PC (1080 Ti) to my TV though, but then I figured out that disabling Deep Colour (HDR, basically) for that HDMI input, would allow my PC to display without going in and out.

Nospaceinmyname

Neo Member

Yeah, for me, it has gotten better over time on my E6, but it does still happen periodically and is pretty annoying. I had reached out to LG support and was pretty much told it's an issue on the PS4 end at this point which sucks. It's annoying sure, but the pro's of the TV definitely outweigh the cons. Also, this handshake issue only ever happens on the PS4 Pro and nothing else.

Weevilone

I played through all of Horizon (81 hours) and all of Until Dawn (who knows) without it happening once. I've had it happen zero times in all my many hours watching PS Vue.

But I've had it happen like 5 times lately when using the PSN Store. Weird.

SOLDIER

I played through all of Horizon (81 hours) and all of Until Dawn (who knows) without it happening once. I've had it happen zero times in all my many hours watching PS Vue.

But I've had it happen like 5 times lately when using the PSN Store. Weird.

It seems to trigger randomly when you're bouncing around resolutions or something, like suspending a game to open YouTube.

That would explain why it also happens a lot when I resume from rest mode, after watching TV or playing something on a different platform.

NYR

Yeah, I get it still too. Are you using HDMI 1? It is apparently the best.

All else, turn off HDCP 2.2.

Chao

Still waiting for that supposed ATMOS update for 2016 models. My shitty Asus oplay mini manufactured in 2012 can bitstream ATMOS, so don't tell me this TV is not capable of doing it.

wbacon

Capcom USA
If you have NVIDIA you should probably use Adaptive Vsync.

So, how many folks use the 55B6 as a PC monitor?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is there a way to get rid of the massive input lag when connected to a PC?

I can’t seem to enable Game Mode when using a PC. Is there a particular Input # that I should be using?

Firmware version is 04.31.20 installed on a U.S. B6 55” model.

Setup: Windows 10 with a Titan X running in 2160x3840/60Hz mode.

Assanova

I just bought the B6 model. Hopefully, I don't have any major issues with it. Saved me $800, so I don't mind occasionally turning the tv off and on.

samred

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is there a way to get rid of the massive input lag when connected to a PC?

I can’t seem to enable Game Mode when using a PC. Is there a particular Input # that I should be using?

Firmware version is 04.31.20 installed on a U.S. B6 55” model.

Setup: Windows 10 with a Titan X running in 2160x3840/60Hz mode.

no input lag for me with a similar rig (1080 Ti). unsure what to tell you. try different HDMI cables, make sure it's running in "game mode" (I know, I know, just making sure), try not running it through a receiver, disable HDR if you're in Windows 10 Creators Update. or run the PC through an HDMI port that already works fine with any other 4K/60 device you may own and see what happen.

Assanova

I just bought the B6 model. Hopefully, I don't have any major issues with it. Saved me $800, so I don't mind occasionally turning the tv off and on.

Aaaaand I just returned this tv. The salesman neglected to tell me that the open box tv had burn-in on the screen, in spite of me asking if there was anything wrong with the screen before I purchased it. It was faint, but noticeable once I popped in GTA5. Couldn't see it in the store, since he demoed it to me using dark images. Returned it immediately. Got a brand new Sony X900E instead.

Weevilone

Aaaaand I just returned this tv. The salesman neglected to tell me that the open box tv had burn-in on the screen, in spite of me asking if there was anything wrong with the screen before I purchased it. It was faint, but noticeable once I popped in GTA5. Couldn't see it in the store, since he demoed it to me using dark images. Returned it immediately. Got a brand new Sony X900E instead.

Did you try running a manual compensation cycle? That might have simply erased it.

Tough to say though, since demo TV's often aren't allowed to ever run the periodic compensation.

Assanova

Did you try running a manual compensation cycle? That might have simply erased it.

Tough to say though, since demo TV's often aren't allowed to ever run the periodic compensation.

No idea what that even is. Either way, I wasn't going to take that risk. My guess is that the tv was brought back several times because of the burn-in. That was probably why it was discounted so heavily.

Necron

I just managed to set up HDR on a PS4 Pro together with the LG OLED55B6V (both on the most recent firmware). If someone is having trouble activating and setting up their systems just ask away. I'll try and answer as best I can.

Edit: For info: HDCP 2.2 is on and HDR game mode is fully functional. I set up everything yesterday so I remember pretty much all steps and configurations.

Weevilone

No idea what that even is. Either way, I wasn't going to take that risk. My guess is that the tv was brought back several times because of the burn-in. That was probably why it was discounted so heavily.

It is the LG way of preventing image retention and removing panel inconsistency. It runs at night periodically to prevent or cure any such issue, and it can be run manually from the menu. Often the demo units are unplugged at night so this doesn't get to work.

My E6 had some significant issues out of the box and 1 cycle made it all go away permanently.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LG E6 / G6 / C6 owners, beware of the firmware on Korea's LG site right now, it adds HLG HDR support, but apparently messes up HDR Game Mode pretty bad

wbacon

Capcom USA
no input lag for me with a similar rig (1080 Ti). unsure what to tell you. try different HDMI cables, make sure it's running in "game mode" (I know, I know, just making sure), try not running it through a receiver, disable HDR if you're in Windows 10 Creators Update. or run the PC through an HDMI port that already works fine with any other 4K/60 device you may own and see what happen.

Hmmm, interesting. My PC is connected to the TV directly thru a 4K/60hz capable HDMI cable.

I’ll try connecting thru different HDMI ports to see if that makes any difference, but curiously I was unable to select Game Mode since the TV explicitly detects the source as a PC and apparently disables Game Mode.

I’ll tinker around a bit over the weekend and report back with my findings. Thanks!

NYR

LG E6 / G6 / C6 owners, beware of the firmware on Korea's LG site right now, it adds HLG HDR support, but apparently messes up HDR Game Mode pretty bad

Wow, wish I read this before. TV auto updated, HDR Game Mode is fucked. LG better fix this.

pswii60

I downgraded my C6 back to the previous firmware (using LGDTVUpdater), because the new version (forced update in the UK) fucked up HDR game mode and made it super dark, along with creating stutter on 50hz content.

So yeah, a colossal shower of shit. I hope LG fixes that stuff in the next firmware, after all I'd still like the HLG support.

NYR

I downgraded my C6 back to the previous firmware, because the new version (forced update in the UK) fucked up HDR game mode and made it super dark, along with creating stutter on 50hz content.

So yeah, a colossal shower of shit. I hope LG fixes that stuff in the next firmware, after all I'd still like the HLG support.

How do you downgrade?

I downgraded my C6 back to the previous firmware (using LGDTVUpdater), because the new version (forced update in the UK) fucked up HDR game mode and made it super dark, along with creating stutter on 50hz content.

Wait, is this for sure happening?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
apparently LG is aware and is fast-tracking a fix.

but just be warned.

It's unclear if the HLG firmware is coming to the B6 at all

Top Bottom