• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Weevilone

Do you have to manually switch settings each time or are there settings profiles you can save? I can imagine it getting a bit tedious if you do it manually.

I can't believe it, I order an LG B6 this evening! Now going to wonder if I should've paid a little extra for the E6...

It remembers settings for an input, but switches in and our of HDR/DV automagically.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Digital Foundry did a video of (what they consider) best picture settings for the B6. Opinions will vary, but this is a solid start if you have no idea what you're doing and what some guidance from people who live and breath image quality.

Didn't really like their settings. The color temperature was way too warm for me. (B6 65")

killroy87

Didn't really like their settings. The color temperature was way too warm for me. (B6 65")

yeah, i definitely agree with that. that's a personal taste thing i suppose, but i definitely prefer my colors to be more neutral, or even a bit on the cooler side. the orange/red tint as you get Warm really bothers me.

Okada

yeah, i definitely agree with that. that's a personal taste thing i suppose, but i definitely prefer my colors to be more neutral, or even a bit on the cooler side. the orange/red tint as you get Warm really bothers me.

As you say it's all down to personal taste but having a warm colour temperature is usually much closer to what the creators intended (and industry standards).

ok i have another stoopid question...

Is there a way / what do i need to do to enable HDR on pc? or is this even a thing? Ive a Titan X (bought before the 1080ti, doh) and i cant find or see any settings that would enable HDR and allow me to use the TV HDR settings (OLED55b6v).

Ive tried googleing but cant find an answer - it seems weird that a ps4 pro would have the options but not my pc? am i a victim of pc master racism?

killroy87

ok i have another stoopid question...

Is there a way / what do i need to do to enable HDR on pc? or is this even a thing? Ive a Titan X (bought before the 1080ti, doh) and i cant find or see any settings that would enable HDR and allow me to use the TV HDR settings (OLED55b6v).

Ive tried googleing but cant find an answer - it seems weird that a ps4 pro would have the options but not my pc? am i a victim of pc master racism?

If a game supports it, it should change automatically, just like consoles. At least it did for me with Mass Effect.

Not a whole lot of PC games support HDR at the moment.

Cross posting from the main TV thread:

I just noticed a very thin vertical band of pixels on the right side of my B6 which appear to be slightly lighter in color vs the surrounding pixels. It's only noticeable in certain scenarios (PS4 menu, somtimes at night in Horizon) and I never noticed it before today so I'm wondering if it's always been there or not. It covers the entire height of the TV in a perfectly straight line.

Snagged a quick phone pic which honestly makes it look worse than it actually is:

CRg1rg1.jpg

Anybody noticed anything like this? It's the 55" B6. Running a compensation cycle right now to see if it'll do anything.

Most of the advise was sound, but yeah I would not go warm color in HDR on LG sets.
In SDR I found it to be ok to leave it warmer, but it seems in HDR mode neutral settings are, actually, neutral.

When I watched the first Planet Earth II UHD episode I was immediately put off by the yellow image you get with the warmer settings. Like, the blue skies on that tropical island were way too green as a result. Does not look natural at all.

I didn't know HDR game mode does not allow RealCinema (24fps playback), that's a bummer but hey I guess it's a good thing that the PS4pro can't do UHD then or you would want to switch constantly.

holygeesus

Banned
Cross posting from the main TV thread:

I just noticed a very thin vertical band of pixels on the right side of my B6 which appear to be slightly lighter in color vs the surrounding pixels. It's only noticeable in certain scenarios (PS4 menu, somtimes at night in Horizon) and I never noticed it before today so I'm wondering if it's always been there or not. It covers the entire height of the TV in a perfectly straight line.

Snagged a quick phone pic which honestly makes it look worse than it actually is:

Anybody noticed anything like this? It's the 55" B6. Running a compensation cycle right now to see if it'll do anything.

If the compensation cycle doesn't work, try pulling the plug from the wall for ten minutes. If that doesn't fix it, it's faulty and needs repairing.

If the compensation cycle doesn't work, try pulling the plug from the wall for ten minutes. If that doesn't fix it, it's faulty and needs repairing.

Ran the comp cycle and now there's an almost solid white line of pixels over that area :/ panicked and started another comp cycle before I saw your post. Will do what you suggested after this comp cycle finished. Really hope it doesn't need repair. Thanks.

Has the update rolled out for all lg tvs yet? Getting an intermittent issue where, when the ps4 pro switches from hdr back to shd (exiting a game to the home screen), screen goes black and i have to turn the tv off and back on again.

Also happens sometimes when i turn the ps4 pro on from sleep mode with the tv off, and turn the tv on, black screen until i turn the tv off and back on again.

55UH6550 model. Anyone got a fix or tip for me?

Kyoufu

Ran the comp cycle and now there's an almost solid white line of pixels over that area :/ panicked and started another comp cycle before I saw your post. Will do what you suggested after this comp cycle finished. Really hope it doesn't need repair. Thanks.

Your panel is borked and needs replacing.

Your panel is borked and needs replacing.

Fuck. I got it from the Adorama eBay deal, last I heard they weren't in stock there anymore.

Fuckkkkk. Gonna call LG, see if they have a guy in my area that can come take a look. I wonder what happened, this showed up out of nowhere after a month of flawless performance.

Edit: Comp cycle cleared a good chunk of it but there's still a very obvious line of what looks like completely dead pixels in the top quarter of my screen :( Guess I'm calling LG.

KevinG

Fuck. I got it from the Adorama eBay deal, last I heard they weren't in stock there anymore.

Fuckkkkk. Gonna call LG, see if they have a guy in my area that can come take a look. I wonder what happened, this showed up out of nowhere after a month of flawless performance.

Edit: Comp cycle cleared a good chunk of it but there's still a very obvious line of what looks like completely dead pixels in the top quarter of my screen :( Guess I'm calling LG.

Make sure you call the VIP number. I had a new panel within a week. They completely replaced the screen after mine was DOA from Adorama.

So, by some miracle, Comp cycle #3 completely fixed my screen. Not a single miscolored pixel or spot anywhere.

I have no idea what was happening or why, and I was absolutely sure it was dead pixels, but I am elated right now. Will have to keep an eye on that portion of my screen for the next few days.

Make sure you call the VIP number. I had a new panel within a week. They completely replaced the screen after mine was DOA from Adorama.

Thank you for this advice, I'll keep it in mind if the issue does return for some reason.

04.31.10 just updated on my B6, is this the HDR gaming update and lag input update finally!?

England here! If you don't have this update, it's out it seems!!! :D Settings for HDR gaming then!? Was laggy so I didn't even set up.

Midas

04.31.10 just updated on my B6, is this the HDR gaming update and lag input update finally!?

England here! If you don't have this update, it's out it seems!!! :D Settings for HDR gaming then!? Was laggy so I didn't even set up.

Yeah, I got an update today as well.

04.31.10 firmware release notes

1. Improve the sound Hum noise
2. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag

Jijidasu

Not sure if there are any other OLED B6 owners in Japan but LG finally dropped the update here. 1:1 with the US version now.

Still struggling to find a solution to the black-levels issue with Horizon Zero Dawn HDR..

Not sure if there are any other OLED B6 owners in Japan but LG finally dropped the update here. 1:1 with the US version now.

Still struggling to find a solution to the black-levels issue with Horizon Zero Dawn HDR..

Are you using a standard PS4 or a Pro? If you have a standard PS4 then try setting the PS4 to RGB FULL and the B6 black level to High while playing Horizon in HDR.

Jijidasu

Are you using a standard PS4 or a Pro? If you have a standard PS4 then try setting the PS4 to RGB FULL and the B6 black level to High while playing Horizon in HDR.

Using a PS4 Pro - are those settings (2160p RGB, RGB Full and B6 black level "High") also applicable for Pro users?

holygeesus

Banned

It's deliberate with this game to have some slight crushing, so I wouldn't bother calibrating it for this specific game. Whacking dynamic contrast to High worked well for me though, not that I'd normally recommend it. Changing the RGB range won't make a difference on the Pro so I'd leave them on Low/Limited. It's the vanilla PS4 where that setting is bugged.

Jijidasu

It's deliberate with this game to have some slight crushing, so I wouldn't bother calibrating it for this specific game. Whacking dynamic contrast to High worked well for me though, not that I'd normally recommend it. Changing the RGB range won't make a difference on the Pro so I'd leave them on Low/Limited. It's the vanilla PS4 where that setting is bugged.

I see, thanks for the information! I currently have everything on auto on my Pro. I'll just leave it as is for now then, if that works.

Poona

Using a PS4 Pro - are those settings (2160p RGB, RGB Full and B6 black level "High") also applicable for Pro users?

I've got a C6 and a PS4 Pro and with everything on auto on the PS4 Pro I had to set my C6 black level to high otherwise the picture is really strange.

I thought I had a faulty system/tv until I had a look at the black level differences.

I've read through the past few pages but couldn't see a clear response. My fault if it's here.

So did update [04.31.10] fix the HDR game lag settings? What are the lag input response times now?

I'm thinking of picking up the 65 inch in the near future.

Also, the B6 65 inch is at around $4000 in the US. What is the cheapest it usually runs at?

Thanks!

Yukstin

I've read through the past few pages but couldn't see a clear response. My fault if it's here.

So did update [04.31.10] fix the HDR game lag settings? What are the lag input response times now?

I'm thinking of picking up the 65 inch in the near future.

Also, the B6 65 inch is at around $4000 in the US. What is the cheapest it usually runs at?

Thanks!

28ms on the B6 with the latest firmware.

So I've noticed that a screen tearing issue consistently occurs when the picture settings are set to HDR Game (all other HDR modes work fine). I've attached a video for evidence. Anyone else notice this, or is it a problem with my TV? Both Horizon and Uncharted 4 exhibit the same issue.

Video: https://youtu.be/NhqkfwzMVQM

Do you have the latest update? They supposedly fixed that.

Ahhhhh, I only did the "check for updates". I'll try updating it manually tonight.

Edit: You're a saint. Issue resolved, I can now conclude Uncharted 4 with no issues. :D
I manually downloaded updated 4.31.15. This TV never seems to detect the latest OS version automatically. Ah well, first world problems and all that jazz.

Thinking about get an LG HDR tv. I live in Japan and they have the best cost performance from what I understand. Is the lag issue completely fixed? How does lag compare to other tvs?

ghibli99

Thinking about get an LG HDR tv. I live in Japan and they have the best cost performance from what I understand. Is the lag issue completely fixed? How does lag compare to other tvs?
Can't tell if you're talking non-OLEDs (sounds like you are), but pay attention to the pixel structure... on their more affordable lines, they use RGBW, which looks terrible up close IMO. If you're sitting at a distance where you can't resolve this, it's not a problem, but if you plan on sitting up close (especially if you will be using it for PC as well), be sure you're getting one with RGB and not RGBW.

AdrianF

Valve
Anyone having issues with a B6 and ARC audio? I just cannot get this to work at all. CEC works fine since I can control my sound bar with the B6 remote but there's no audio coming through.

Does this setup make sense?

- PS4 plugged into B6
- B6's HDMI2 ARC Out-> Sound Bar HDMI ARC
- Audio set to ARC in the B6 settings.

The Argus

Has there been any real reviews of the B7? I'm ready to bite, but want to make sure it's a true successor to the B6 and not just an extra $1000 for a minor cosmetic update.

NYR

Has there been any real reviews of the B7? I'm ready to bite, but want to make sure it's a true successor to the B6 and not just an extra $1000 for a minor cosmetic update.
The B7 isnt the successor to the B6, per say, both the B7 and C7 are. The B7 model and cabinet design is supposed to be a wholesale club and big box store exclusive, to Costco and whatnot. The C7 is basically the B7 with a different cabinet design/back and reviews are out for it.

You really don't need to wait for reviews on this TV. 2016/2017 LG OLEDs are the best. Just buy it. CNET just put out a story today about what OLED to buy and are recommending sticking with the 2016 models for the cheaper price.

https://www.cnet.com/news/which-oled-tv-should-you-buy-2016-lg-b6-vs-2017-lg-c7/

Been using my B6 for a bit over a month now and it's the best piece of technology I've ever owned.

Yup.

Bought a couple of Blu Rays to watch on it. They aren't even 4K Blu Rays, just standard 1080p. Look incredible.

Replaying through Uncharted 4 on my PS4 Pro and my jaw is regularly hitting the floor.

Horizon ZD was godlike.

Such a great TV.

Top Bottom