• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Hemsworth to replace Henry Cavill in The Witcher season 4

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Had to Google - so we are not getting Thor, but teen drama slim Thor’s brother?
hemsworth family taking over hollywood

b6b56461-4466-49f5-9bae-6388a57aa0a9_text.gif

RickSanchez

But that's my point.
If the only thing about a series is a single actor, that serie is liquid, flamig shit.
i get what you're saying but Cavill's performance in this was good enough to make me want to watch every episode, just to see him play the role. He was that good, that's how he carried the show for me. With how far off the rails season 2 went, it was already becoming difficult. Now, if Cavill isn't there, there is almost no chance i will tune in for season 4. Fair play to Liam, he might be great, but he can't replicate Cavill's x factor for this role.

I guess those reports about the writers actively hating and mocking the source material were onto something.
Did Henry Cavill himself cite any reason for his departure ? i.e being busy with Superman work or disagreeing with the showrunners too much ? I wont be surprised if it is the latter. Season 2 has proved they do not understand the essence of the source material, which Cavill is passionate about.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Netflix were probably really wanting....

steve-toussaint-d417cfa.jpg
To be fair, House of the Dragon made the houses themselves diverse, which is the least offensive way to introduce diversity since it's not oddly distracting. Unlike Witcher, where you have random races inside each of the insular tribes, which made no sense.

The original Game of Thrones did it much better where people looked like the part of the world they came from. Northerners were pale, while those from Dorne were much darker skinned.

RickSanchez

To be fair, House of the Dragon made the houses themselves diverse, which is the least offensive way to introduce diversity since it's not oddly distracting. Unlike Witcher, where you have random races inside each of the insular tribes, which made no sense.

The original Game of Thrones did it much better where people looked like the part of the world they came from. Northerners were pale, while those from Dorne were much darker skinned.
Right! I would also like to point out that The Expanse also does diversity super well. You have characters of various colours and sexual preferences, but none of it feels forced, because it is never the focus.

I don't get why The Rings of Power or even The Witcher show-runners couldn't follow examples like these.

Mogunetto

Neo Member
On the one hand, I'm incredibly happy for Cavill to have gotten out of there... But on the other hand, it also kinda breaks my heart. The man is a huge fan of The Witcher books & games. He was the most knowledgeable man on that set, and the most passionate about that franchise... Can't even begin to imagine how much it must have broken his heart to see them butcher the source material into an unrecognizable mess.

Hope he gets the kind of Superman movies he wants, and frankly deserves.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Right! I would also like to point out that The Expanse also does diversity super well. You have characters of various colours and sexual preferences, but none of it feels forced, because it is never the focus.

I don't get why The Rings of Power or even The Witcher show-runners couldn't follow examples like these.
Valyria is also very far south on Essos, so it's not out of the realm of logic for the Valyrians to be darker skinned. It's a change from the books, but it never stood out as a viewer of the show. My only concern is that they would turn Rhaenyra into a Mary Sue, which they didn't so far.

iHaunter

Horrible decision. But looking at what they're doing with the series it doesn't surprise me. It's netflix's motto.
This is what happens when arrogant directors hate the source material. Same situation with 343 and Halo. How can you have people that hate the source material create the show? Being ignorant isn't something to brag about. Between the directors/show runner being incompetent. Season 2 was way worse than season 1.

Reactions: Fuz

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Remember when Cavill's screen test leaked and everyone said he was going to be terrible? Fandom is fickle

I mean, as a fellow Aussie it's great to see Liam get the role. He is a pretty decent guy, and was smart enough to break it off with that skank Miley.
However, Cav did a really good job and it's going to be hard to not compare the two.

jakinov

It's weird seeing all these people suddenly caring about Henry Cavil and really see the bandwagon effect in action. i remember when people dind't care much for him except snyder fans and he wasn't realy doing much then people kept sharing a bunch of memes of him like about his newphew, him building a PC, how he was a gamer and now people act like he's a bankable star despite him not doing much after JL failed. I also recall a lot of people against Cavil playing Geralt because fans of IP have this weird obsession of casting people based on how they look and previous similiar roles (for example Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor).

In regards to Cavil leaving the role, it could be multple things. It could be some combination that he didn't like the direction of the show or that his new found popularity has been landing new lead film roles, that he going to be leading his own Superman movies again, that he might to be staring/leading in multiple Black Adam crossovers or that Cavil values money just as much as art.

RickSanchez

Remember when Cavill's screen test leaked and everyone said he was going to be terrible? Fandom is fickle
Your point is right, and Liam Hemsworth may turn out to be a fantastic Geralt, BUT the concern goes beyond good acting; Cavill was a lobbying force who was trying to keep the writers and showrunners true to the source material. With his influence on the story gone, it might go even more off the rails than the fuckery that was season 2.

jakinov

Your point is right, and Liam Hemsworth may turn out to be a fantastic Geralt, BUT the concern goes beyond good acting; Cavill was a lobbying force who was trying to keep the writers and showrunners true to the source material. With his influence on the story gone, it might go even more off the rails than the fuckery that was season 2.
Not really a "force", he only got to see scripts when it was too late to chnage anything big. He talks about this in one of his interviews and how he mostly just gets to play around with dialogue.

Being true to the source material isn't that important, what's important is if the show is still enjoyable. Even if it alienates fans of the books which is likely a minority, as long as it appeals to the masses then the people running the show are doing their job. They don't spend this kind of money to appeal to niche audiences.

RickSanchez

Being true to the source material isn't that important, what's important is if the show is still enjoyable. Even if it alienates fans of the books which is likely a minority, as long as it appeals to the masses then the people running the show are doing their job. They don't spend this kind of money to appeal to niche audiences.

Fair point, but season 2 felt....off..... to me as the episodes progressed. I had not read the books before watching season 2. There was a just ageneral lack of proper character consistency and world building consistency. Yennefer losing her powers; Jaskier having a somewhat pointless sidequest; Geralt not being able to deal with 'the fire fucker'; and who even was the fire fucker's employer ?

So i guess season 2 has problems of poor writing which go beyond staying true to source material.

mitchman

Gold Member
I will reserve judgement until I see footage. As for season 2, it was based on a book that had very little action, they had to pad it with extra stuff to make it interesting.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
i remember when people were saying Cavill was a horrible choice for the Witcher when he was announced too.

In all fairness, I begun to lose interest after Season 2 so I don’t really have a horse in this race.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Valyria is also very far south on Essos, so it's not out of the realm of logic for the Valyrians to be darker skinned. It's a change from the books, but it never stood out as a viewer of the show. My only concern is that they would turn Rhaenyra into a Mary Sue, which they didn't so far.

I agree. GRR Martin obviously rewrote the skin color of the Velaryons to make the casting more diverse, but at least he did so in a way that makes sense.

If we juxtapose Westeros with Europe on our worldmap, Valyria would actually be in th Central African Republic, so their people would be black due to higher exposure to the sun and melanin levels.

r6tuyiL.jpg

The shows and books have been giving hints on how the Targariens are the result genetic and magical experiments of cross-breeding dragons with humans (the wall tapestries in HotD show human-sized dragons having sex with women), so they're the ones who are "out of place".

PeteBull

Coz those fuckers got agenda af, in many parts of the world, slaves were same colour as their master, here in poland we had it like that, ofc, our country fought tons of wars vs neighbouring countries(thats how it is if u got no canada as neighbours, u lucky americans:p) so had no time nor any kind of will to go to africa and bring back ppl from there to be slaves.

Witcher setting is literally polish middleages with supernatural spin on it(all those monsters are actually taken/inspired by polish/slavic folk tales, thats why they feel so unique vs ur standard monsters u usually see in games made by western devs).
Here no1 was weird/stupid enough to think elves looked like black ppl, u even have wiki with elf looks/culture description yet in s1 witcher netflix series they present them as black ppl who look nothing like elves were described https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Elf
here how elves looked in polish adaptation in witcher series, im sure its somewhere on youtube/ on the net, whole 13 episodes with eng subs too (ofc it had tiny budget vs netflix one and cgi effects, especially dragon, were memishly bad, but still cool to watch if u wanna see what actual thing should/could looked like without directors/ppl responsible for it pushin shitty woke agenda.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Decent take: the writing in this show is shit-tier, the main has nothing to do with it’s quality, Liam could be just as good as Henry

Last edited:
Top Bottom