• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Import Thread

Popped into the stream for a few minutes yesterday. Some npcs looked rough, one woman apparently suffering from severe texturitis. Empty hallways Lighting was traversing also looked of simple geometry and sparsely occupied. But one area can't speak for the entirety.

Lightning herself and the interface looking good, and apparently lots of equips and parameters to consider. Once a battle started it had me enthused about playing it later on.

Toth

It will sell less even in Japan. Heck it will have hard time reaching 1 million sales WW IMO and I mean sold to customers not shipped.

I suppose we will have to wait and see. SE seems to have a good grasp on the JP market so I imagine their first shipment amount will be around the market expectations. I think we can agree that as the third entry sales will probably be lower but I hope to be surprised. I just don't know with this market though since only ios and portable titles are really doing great sales...

LuuKyK

I stopped watching. Don't want to have the story completely spoiled. Left with very good impressions. While I think (from what I saw) that the game is far from being flawless, it still seems like a step in the right direction, so I am excited for February!

so the battle ending music changes depending on what costume youre wearing when the fights over???

dat FF7 music haha.

edit: and you can wear hats? im guessing theyre separate from the costumes? lightning is wearing a little mini crown thing right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Disappointed in how many are actually watching spoilerific streams of this game :(

Went in clean with FFXIII and XIII-2, it'll be the same with this one.

Yeah, thats an exclusive feature of the Cloud costume though. I don't think there are other costumes that do that.

aw that sucks.

well i think im gonna stop watching these streams. caught another stream and they were in a CS with noel, boss fight starts, and that Requiem of the Goddess DLC music started playing.

hype level exceeded, cant wait for february now!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Last i checked this morning, over 700k people were watching the stream. It must have gone up, no?
700k, WAT? Where was this? Are these really accurate numbers?

Riposte

difficulty returns... customization actually seems to matter.

I'm... so... happy. ;-;

Sounds exciting.

You apparently unlock Hard when you beat the game.

Yeah, he died during the dragon fight until he customized his schema and then iced it with the new one.

Hold on...

I don't want to play this game twice! I hate when devs do this.

Anyway this thread seems to be getting spoiler-y, but difficulty (or at least, mechanics actually mattering) is a really important factor in me wanting to play this game or not.

Koozek

Woah, I'm at CD1 and the soundtrack is amazing so far. Very experimental with some really well-arranged jazzy, moody and ethereal songs. Of course, more on the ambient/film score side but I'm totally fine with that in modern games. More organic sounds than in XIII-2 (I liked its electronica music more as a standalone listening than in-game).
The vocal songs I already heard were less kitsch-y, except the folky, (Deadly Premonition-like) one.
The other desert songs are awesome, too, with those percussion rythms and exotic instruments.
Might post my overall impression after a complete listening :)

Edit: Daaamn, song #10 (Terra Ultima) on CD2 is sooo, so beautiful! Reminds me of the orchestrated DQVIII OST, mhhhmm.

Yoshichan

difficulty returns... customization actually seems to matter.

I'm... so... happy. ;-;
You are making me so fucking excited, oh my God.

Can LR > XIII-2 > XIII really happen? A complete reversal of what I thought would be happening...

Goli

700k, WAT? Where was this? Are these really accurate numbers?

Maybe total channel views but there's no way 700k people were watching his stream.

Also the game is still not up on the HK PS Store... wonder if it's been delayed or something stupid like that.

Riposte

Can LR > XIII-2 > XIII really happen? A complete reversal of what I thought would be happening...

If you care about any sort of difficulty, then I would think you wouldn't say "XIII-2 > XIII". I think that's the point of mentioning "difficulty returning". XIII-2 was abyssal in this aspect, at the very least. The rules of the battle system hardly mattered.

RangerBAD

It's 700,000 views since leta_jp opened his channel however many years ago. That's not how many are watching this stream. There are 621 people watching the stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/teakdoc

This guy is further behind than leta, but leta just finished streaming.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, 700K is his lifetime views (incl. video views). Last I checked 500 people were watching.

It's just like how if you go to Bazza's channel for VGCW, 1,506,435 are his channel views. The amount of people watching the stream are the red person icon on the stream.

Y'all need to watch more speedrunning streams. :V

Maybe total channel views but there's no way 700k people were watching his stream.

Also the game is still not up on the HK PS Store... wonder if it's been delayed or something stupid like that.

It's 700,000 views since leta_jp opened his channel however many years ago. That's not how many are watching this stream. There are 621 people watching the stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/teakdoc

This guy is further behind than leta, but leta just finished streaming.

Correct. Both of you.

When I was on 15 minutes ago on my iPhone Twitch app it said 652 people were watching the stream.

The 700k number is his channel views since opening his channel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Uhm. I'm not entirely sure yet. Kinda want to see Teak and a few other people in here who are getting it play around with the system a bit, because based on what I saw last night, the difficulty seems to lie in customization and ability customization as opposed to the battle system itself. Timed guarding seems to be incredibly relevant, so that seems neato. Outside of that, based on how Leta was playing, it seems as though positioning doesn't matter at all, and attack/garb selection is probably at the core of how well you'd do in battle.

Given that he was playing on Easy Mode, though, it's probably not the best indicator of how the game would be played at higher-level play.

Edit: checked into the other stream, and it seems obvious right off the bat that Teak is playing on Normal mode because the damage he's dealing with some of the same attacks are diminished.

Hold on...

I don't want to play this game twice! I hate when devs do this.

Anyway this thread seems to be getting spoiler-y, but difficulty (or at least, mechanics actually mattering) is a really important factor in me wanting to play this game or not.
It does seem more difficult than FF13-2, so that's a major plus right there. The game seems to be structured with respect to playing it more than once to see more of what the game has to offer narratively and in terms of world-structure, but it's really disappointing that hard mode is locked away from you right off the bat.

Though I wonder if that speaks to the balancing on normal than anything else.

Haha, this is why I'd rather talk more about a game when I actually play it as opposed to analyzing something I see on a player's twitch channel. They don't do stuff that I'd like to experiment with, or I see things that aren't really there, or I don't see things that are really there. It's just like how my friends see me streaming a game that is pretty bad, decide to try it themselves, and still think it's bad (Tokitowa). Or they see a game I stream that seems pretty good, but then they play it and they don't like it (FFMQ). If there's anything I've learned from streaming this last year it's that everyone plays games way differently than you probably do. Some people can make games look great or the best ever, and some people can make games look like the worst thing in the world based on their playstyle.

Yeah, 700K is his lifetime views (incl. video views). Last I checked 500 people were watching.

It's just like how if you go to Bazza's channel for VGCW, 1,506,435 are his channel views. The amount of people watching the stream are the red person icon on the stream.

Y'all need to watch more speedrunning streams. :V

Can't wait until January. Always love the AGDQ marathons, I usually ask for vacation days just to catch some of my more favorite runners live lol.

Chun-Li

Is there a link to the music from VII in LR? Is it remixed or just the original?

Oh, it's just the battle ending theme? Boooo

Difficulty is back, customization actually matters, no Serah in sight (at least for the majority), timer doesn't seem to be an issue, OST is good... this is already, by default, 20x better than XIII-2.

The AGDQ 2014 schedule looks like it's the bomb. God, I can't wait for that. Those Mega Man, Zelda, and Ninja Gaiden blocks are going to be cool beans.

PEACHES_? check
Breakdown? check
AdamAK? check
Cosmo? check
Miles (playing Prime!)? check
Yoshifan? check
Duke Bilgewater? check

Yep, looking like it's going to be an awesome marathon. Lots of runners on there I've never watched, might find some new favorites. Discovered peaches, duke, and adam from the 2013 SGDQ.

studyguy

Been curious about XIII-3, was super skeptical about Lighting being in XIV and the first 1/2 of her content was pretty terrible, but the last few bits are pretty great surprisingly enough.

What would you say to someone coming into XIII fresh?
Start from 1 and move on from there?

hVnBSl7.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PEACHES_? check
Breakdown? check
AdamAK? check
Cosmo? check
Miles (playing Prime!)? check
Yoshifan? check
Duke Bilgewater? check

Yep, looking like it's going to be an awesome marathon. Lots of runners on there I've never watched, might find some new favorites. Discovered peaches, duke, and adam from the 2013 SGDQ.
We have a really cool Speedrunning OT on GAF if you're interested in keeping up with some people and being introduced to new speedrunners.

There's some huuuuge drama going on right now, though. Shit happened and some people got their stuff banned. But that discussion should probably be relegated to the Speedrunning OT.

Goli

Regen Guard seems like a game-breaking ability.
I thought the whole point of having only Curaga as a healing spell and it being a GP ability as well as a limited inventory was for things like that not to happen.

Looking again at it now, but stopping after this. I like this current
desert
area and battle, not a pushover enemy even though this individual is playing Easy. I like the hefty sound effects, guarding with shield sounds right and looks necessary.

So five minutes total checking streams without any real spoilers and moving on. Looking forward to when it gets here with Hillis and company voicing things.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think they wanted to keep it consistent with a bunch of skills they had in the other FF13 games, and Regen Guard was super-advantageous in the previous games (esp. 13-2 because that game was really easy).

Either way, from what I saw, the game is packed with stuff for people who liked the FF13 games a lot. Lots of callbacks to different aspects of the games if you were paying attention to them. I think FF13 fans might be pretty happy with at least that aspect of it at the very least.

Shinta

Banned
1 -17 is awesome on the OST. Sounds like Silent Hill at times, especially the 2nd half of the song. Definitely new for FF.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ya right LOL.

People kept saying how XIII-2 was such an improvement over XIII. I found it worst! I'm not falling for that crap again.
I thought FFXIII-2 was going to be great even after I played the demo for hours levelling shit up and playing around with the Crystarium a lot. And then I played the full game and felt the product overall was average like its sister game. And I ended up liking the first game more because of various factors.

Either way, I consider FFXIII and FFXIII-2 to perfectly complement each other since both of them has something the other doesn't.

Falk

that puzzling face
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRmAbvrkmB8
^Youtube LP

Wow, the Twitch streams -are- really washed out compared to this. The first dungeon as in that YT seems like a completely different game altogether.

Gonna be honest, we knew going in that the budget and dev cycle for this weren't a mainline Final Fantasy and it shows to hilarious effect at some points in the textures*, but the game is pushing all the right buttons for me where it actually counts.

Can't wait to get my hands on my copy, too.

*best water of this console gen
mRYyliU.jpg

Stark

Banned
I think the game looks fine even in twitch streams.

The sky boxes and day/night transition is really nice save for some awful texture work on various objects.

It looks really fun though. Even the time mechanic. leta was hilarious with that. I just wish he wouldn't spam in battle.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hahaha the best part of leta's stream so far is when he was dicking around in Dead Dunes then realized when he was in the menu that it was 5.59 and managed to squeeze off three (I believe) Chronostasis in the remaining sliver before 6:00

Shadow780

Going in with no expectation, I think I'm gonna enjoy this finale (please be) more this time around. XIII had too much expectations and XIII-2 had too much bad aftertastes.

Goli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRmAbvrkmB8
^Youtube LP

Wow, the Twitch streams -are- really washed out compared to this. The first dungeon as in that YT seems like a completely different game altogether.

Gonna be honest, we knew going in that the budget and dev cycle for this weren't a mainline Final Fantasy and it shows to hilarious effect at some points in the textures*, but the game is pushing all the right buttons for me where it actually counts.

Can't wait to get my hands on my copy, too.

*best water of this console gen
mRYyliU.jpg
What.
It has probably some of the worst water this gen, if not the worst. When Lightning walks in it it's like she's not even there from what I've seen.

*insert obligatory complaint about how LR is still not up on PSN*

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd have figured linking the comment to its context via the asterisk made it pretty clear that was an ironic statement. :(

RangerBAD

Really like that they don't let you just hold down block for however long you want. It forces you to learn the timing for guarding, and then the knockdown reward of a perfect guard. Hopefully, it feels as rewarding as it looks.

Top Bottom