• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Import Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jesus they went and turned the game into a spank bank. Its like all the shit that they didnt let Toriyama do in the previous 2 games, they gave him the full green light to run wild with his sick fantasies.

What's worse is the posts above yours.

The sluttier the outfit, the better its stats will be. You know it's gonna happen. Some of the first DLC for the previous game was a skimpy bikini for Serah, what were you expecting?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That costume stats don't look too good actually.

BDwNrfV.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This reminds me of that disappointed feeling I felt when I saw what they did to Yuna in FF-X2 D:

Dear god...

Esura

Banned
Well... now we know who the pervs are....

Can't help it. Natural Born Perv right here.

This reminds me of that disappointed feeling I felt when I saw what they did to Yuna in FF-X2 D:

Dear god...

I think I was in like junior high when I played FFX-2 and I loved every freaking minute of it. Popped it in thinking, hmmm yay sequel to FFX all about Yuna and Rikku lets see what's up, then Real Emotion starts and I'm like hell yeah! Freaking awesome!

HeelPower

Incredibly disappointing designs...I thought we have seen the worst of the costumes.

Non of them even make any sense in the context of the game's art direction ,and when you look at NPC clothing they are also randomly stapled together.

Idk if I can blame Isamu Kamikokuryo he did fantastic , highly coherent work in FFXII.

Can't help it. Natural Born Perv right here.

I think I was in like junior high when I played FFX-2 and I loved every freaking minute of it. Popped it in thinking, hmmm yay sequel to FFX all about Yuna and Rikku lets see what's up, then Real Emotion starts and I'm like hell yeah! Freaking awesome!

At least you are confident in yourself and honest enough to admit it. Go ahead. Revel in it I guess...

Esura

Banned
Tits are life.
Ass is hometown.
Claire has neither :(

Well she definitely got the tits now. I dunno, FF girls doomed to be ass-less now I suppose since they had no ass for awhile now actually, like since X. Didn't stop Yuna and Rikku from being lovely though.

MilkBeard

So for those who have the game and are playing, how does the game feel generally in terms of polish? It was pretty obvious that this one was put together pretty quickly, so I'm curious how that manifests in the game itself.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
She's going in on adult Hope!

Hahaha really?

So for those who have the game and are playing, how does the game feel generally in terms of polish? It was pretty obvious that this one was put together pretty quickly, so I'm curious how that manifests in the game itself.
From what I've seen and can tell *I dont have the game* Easy is a little button mashy, normal is a bit strategic with the combat. I would assume that would mean Hard would require you to play and pay attention to what you are doing 100%

Basically imagine if FF13 games didn't have the whole auto combat thing to them and your party was a single character, add in the ability to manually block and uh that's a basic idea of it... sorta/not really
Well... now we know who the pervs are....
Nothing wrong with being a bit pervy at all. Only when you cross the line and bring it into real life situations or affect other people with it is it ever a bad thing.

Parakeetman

I still have the feeling this was supposed to be a different game, but they went and shoved FF13 into it instead...

Esura

Banned
insertmorehopejokeshere

A quote from my Hoperai fanfiction, called A Guiding Light - Lightning x Hope

Lightning - "Hope is what makes me strong. It is why I'm here. It is he who I fight for when all else is lost."

I do not write fanfiction whatosever! Thumbs up if you get reference!

Parakeetman

No one in here played it yet I think.

I would be if I wasnt so busy with all this other work shit. At least its installed on the system now so dont have to wait for that when I start. Maybe Id be done if Id stop looking at GAF at the same time. D:

Man I regret not getting the slightly more expensive version from Amazon when I had the chance, since that samurai looking armor amazon special looked pretty damned cool.

B00DQOSB1C_01.jpgborder=0

At least I think its better than this cloud crap anyways.

dramatis

Incredibly disappointing designs...I thought we have seen the worst of the costumes.

Non of them even make any sense in the context of the game's art direction ,and when you look at NPC clothing they are also randomly stapled together.

Idk if I can blame Isamu Kamikokuryo he did fantastic , highly coherent work in FFXII.
Don't know about NPC designs, but Kamikokuryo isn't the costume designer for Lightning, for what it's worth.

Thing about Kamikokuryo is, I think he's a great environment artist, but middling character artist.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I've suspected this for a long time.

Considering the assets in the first area you see in the game, yes this was definitely Versus XIII! (lol). And I also hope Noctis will feature similar outfits.

MechaX

Nothing to feel ashamed about in regards to liking good looking women in revealing outfits.
Nothing to feel ashamed about being "pervs". Everyone is a perv to some degree.

At the very least, it's not something one should vocalize unless they're around the bros.

But when considering that Lightning does not exist and cannot be offended, I guess this is a moot issue.

Vanille

Damn, they weren't kidding. Normal mode is tough as balls. Just got demolished by the first trash mobs you encounter in Luxerion.

Thinking of restarting on Easy.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to play for about 5 to 6 hours. I'm a slow player so most people would have done more by then. I think I'm going to be done with the Luxerion main quest with a boss fight left and an hour away from entering day 3.

I am playing on normal so the enemies don't go down as easily as the ones in Leta's stream. Most of the random enemies have been fairly ok but I'm starting to encounter ones that can kill me. However it could be my equipment. Some of these enemies are avoidable any way. In these harder fights blocking is quite crucial. Blocking with the right style is also crucial since equipment such as one can increases wind resistance, for example, can only be equipped to one style (unless you have more). This means that choosing garb and what equipment and ability to go to which garb can matter in more difficult fights. Some enemy attacks can be cancelled via parrying or blocking so again timing is important. It takes a while to get use to using attacks based on ATB number and not bars like in the two prequels. If you button mash you might find yourself out of ATB for all three styles, leaving none for blocking nor parrying. Haven't really experiment much with debuffs and buffs yet since I've not gotten any buff skills and only 1 deprotect and 1 poison.

Also did a few sides quests and they ranged from finding items that are in chests, finding specific people and one involved racing with a boy. Quests are timed based. I had a quest that demanded I be done by a certain time. These NPCs also don't loiter around all the time and only come out at a certain time. Luxerion also has gates that open or close at different times. Some main quests also only happen at specific timings, leaving you with downtime that can be used for exploration, battles and quest completion. I cannot comment on the whole time restriction mechanic yet since I'm unable to gauge within it would end up being superfluous (meaning we end up with too many free hours) or too tight. One difficult thing with these time restriction based games is that it's not easy to give player the right amount of time. Given that SE has mentioned many times on how they have adjusted this mechanic, I'm not sure whether it is balanced yet.

The frame rate seems alright for me. Just very slight drops but then again I'm not the best judge of frame rates. They don't bother me much. Luxerion is rather ugly in many places. Haven't gone to the other continents yet so looking forward to meet other new possible ugly textures and probably dips in frame rates in the larger areas. Luxerion isn't that big and open. It is big but because of its nature as a town we get mostly corridors and small open areas. Lightning's selective traversal return with her ability to grab selectively. She cannot grab onto all ledges, only selective ones. The jumping and running is mostly alright, nothing too platform-y in a bad way yet.

Overall, it is quite fun.

Also, I think Hope
sounds really suspicious and is probably not him or being controlled by Buni
. Lumina is less annoying than I expected. Many of the NPCs say she's a good girl :p

Also am sad to say that the DLC code from the soundtrack did not work for me. Downloaded the garb set off the Japanese PSN and it did not work with my Chinese/Korean version. I still have the 360's code though so if there are actually any souls here who bought the 360 Japanese version and wants a free garb set, just PM me.

^ Glad to hear the FPS are not that noticeable. Problem I had with XIII-2 was that it would constantly shift around in the field most likely never hitting 30fps and was only stable in battle.

I dunno, very on the fence about this game. Might just wait mostly because there is a ton of other stuff to play.

Also just realized they straight up call the game "Dress up action" in the Japanese commercial that just went on tv >.>

Falk

that puzzling face
When you realize that a culture pretty much has every other Saturday Morning Cartoon involve female characters that can shoot magic out their eyes and change clothes on a whim, and you sit in a stream where the dude is laughing himself silly at all the cutscene photobombing you can do with absurd accessories, you suddenly realize that suddenly the way Square markets this game doesn't seem nearly as outlandish as when viewing it solely from a western perspective.

(Doesn't mean I don't think the marketing outside of Japan could have used a little less focus on things that don't work outside of Japan, though)

Top Bottom