• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

I was thinking in terms of developers relationships. Managing a Studio is like managing your human resources, you don't just trash them when you are done with it. Also gamers were promised a game and Microsoft never deliver.
So I am talking about human relationships here.
Also Microsoft paid 2.5 billion for Minecraft! They could have bought the whole of Capcom's Stock with Minecraft money.

You weren't "promised" anything. Games are announced and get cancelled. It's not ideal, and I'm sure MS recognizes they made mistakes, but releasing a game you know is bad, you don't want to support and you don't think will do well is not a good way to sustain good "human relationships" with your customers. A majority of the gaming audience will never even know Fable Legends was ever a thing.

And I don't even understand your second point. That Microsoft should have used that money to buy a japanese publisher that may or may not even be for sale, and who has been having it's own share of financial problems, instead of buying the most valuable/successful new gaming IP among kids and teens? Is this some kind of gamer logic?

On the whole, "but there's new IPs, not just the repeated Halo, etc" perspective...

Games like Scalebound, QB, ReCore are natural attempts to increase the number of bankable franchises, which even the most laser-focused big-hit publishers do.

Did Activision not invest in Destiny? Did EA not invest in Titanfall, Bioware's new IP or Jade Raymond's new studio?

Big hits doesn't mean it's all recycling of franchises. Of course there'll be new IPs into the mix. It does however, mean that the new IPs will be more focused on achieving mainstream success and will be less diverse in the same breathe as a Press Play game, or Sony's various mid-tier games like Wattam/Rapture.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great summary but is this really true? I was under the assumption the reason why it's not as big as they push it is because only first party studios get "free" access to it whilst third parties have to pay once development is over or in the case of respawn where they got a "heavy discount". And Crackdown 3 is still alive for now.

It is now only in a custom made map, separate from the single player or co-op map for an online multiplayer mode that is probably adversarial.

It seems a little lackluster from the initial scope they were playing off as, with all this cloud computing narrative in which the 'game would not be the game' without it.

This is probably new thread worthy. I didn't believe it at first and thought people were always joking when they said it, but I honestly believe MS is getting out the console business and being PC only. Hope the NX will be a hit, if not it's only going to be Sony.

They're off to a really bad start.

Microsoft Studios is now publishing only the biggest hits
Let's just recap Microsoft's generation in review:
- Start Lift London
- Downsize the XBLA/Microsoft Studios team because MS doesn't want to be in the business of publishing so many indie games
- Close Microsoft Victoria
- Cancel Black Tusk's original game and make them the Gears studio
- Close Xbox Entertainment Studios
- Buy Mojang

Wondering how buying Mojang fits into this list of mostly if not all other negative points? I know it's not organic growth internally, but it can only be a boon to MSFT overall buying the maker of arguably the most popular franchise worldwide today in Minecraft right..?

Microsoft did a pretty crap job of making use of Lionhead
Finally, separate from the musing about Microsoft Studios, I think Lionhead Studios has been treated extremely poorly by Microsoft. Microsoft did not secure Black & White from EA or The Movies from Activision when they bought Lionhead. The lack of care about the studio's non-Fable history was palpable. Also let it be noted that every non-Fable game they worked on under Microsoft got cancelled. Which would be OK if they cared about Fable, but here's what they did with Fable:
- Fable 1 gets a late PC port
- Fable 2 never gets a PC port
- Fable 3 gets a GFWL PC port that gets discontinued years ago when they run out of keys, MS never bothers to remove GFWL
- Fable Heroes never gets a PC port
- Fable The Journey never gets a PC port
- Fable Anniversary gets a late PC port with a rocky launch
- Fable Legends cancelled during beta

I cant help but feel like you have focused on their PC ports (or lack of) and missed the actually more important and relevant points of Lionhead's apparent demise. I think the way they handled PC stuff is largely irrelevant when you consider the sales of these projects and how the studio has changed. I dont doubt they had a PC userbase that would have bought their games but its not like their games sold consistently poorly over that entire period.

By and large, Fable Heroes, 2, The Journey not getting PC ports was probably completely irrelevant what happened today when you consider that Fable 1/2/3 all sold really well on Xbox consoles, im not sure how Anniversary did (I think it sold ok at least) and have no idea about Fable Heroes but that was also a game with a much smaller budget and its success or failure and lack of PC port probably played absolutely no part in their short or long-term future as a AAA studio. There is an unhelpful inconsistency there but The Journey was never going to get ported to PC, as an example.

Im not disputing the lack of care towards Black & White or The Movies either, but as game development requires more people and bodies its not a surprise to see them focus on their Fable RPGs/franchise, a lot of studios have gone down that narrow path due to how game development has changed.

Peter Molyneux has said that Fable 3 needed more time and he wish he had pushed for a delay and that affected its quality, making an RPG in 2 years is tough but the game still sold well.

Then they transitioned to Kinect like Rare but unlike Rare their game sold very poorly in 2012, they had some layoffs.

After that they did Anniversary with a small team and went all in this F2P multiplayer trend with focus on cross-play/buy with Windows 10 in a 4vs1 game that I dont think ever suited their talents (RPG/adventure games, they were long past their PC simulation stuff) and they missed their original launch period of late 2015 and at this point sounds like they might have been anticipating another delay.

The MS blog post makes it sound like they felt people werent interested in it which is why they have made this decision and Phil Spencer said to GamesRadar (same link as above) that the studio had changed themselves to work around Fable Legends which also seems to be a factor.

Perhaps Fable Legends wasnt the final straw but that their new IP ideas didnt take off and none of their other ideas were appealing which left Microsoft with a problem if they didnt believe Fable Legends was worth launching and they had 200 people with nothing they felt was good for their future either. Fable 3 released in 2010 and 6 years later they have made a variety of projects that werent nearly as successful, it would have been quite a few years before they were able to launch something else, potentially nearly a decade without a big new game/hit is a long time

They have been horribly managed dont get me wrong and since (or even including in some ways) Fable 3 put down an unfortunately dark path which has led to today. It is very typical Microsoft to push everyone to their new latest thing (Kinect, Cloud) without any consideration for whether that suits the studios and I think that is a big problem they have and need to get out of although at this point it is probably too late for that.

The new IPs they have done never coming to fruition doesnt help but the direction Fable has gone - regardless of who sent them down it, isnt something I think MS wanted to continue supporting really. Im not entirely sure I blame them for that but its a shame where we have ended up. I loved Fable 2 and Anniversary, liked what I played of 3.

Sydle

I gotta agree with this. Freaking crazy that people are not assigning blame to Phil.

I wish everyone that lost their jobs good luck as they try to find something else.

Who is saying this isn't at all Phil's fault?

I guess he could have made Lionhead cancel it earlier when it was obviously in trouble.

King_Moc

Banned

They've been doing this for a long time now, and it amazes me that they haven't realized that the mass market actually sees it as a bad thing. Probably Sony's biggest advantage is the sheer breadth of their catalogue - not the AAA titles. They have something for everyone.

They've been doing this for a long time now, and it amazes me that they haven't realized that the mass market actually sees it as a bad thing. Probably Sony's biggest advantage is the sheer breadth of their catalogue - not the AAA titles. They have something for everyone.

I remember saying this last gen and people would respond with "Yeah but halo sells more then all of them combined"....now that sony is in a much better position don't see this being a valid excuse.

- Start Lift London
- Downsize the XBLA/Microsoft Studios team because MS doesn't want to be in the business of publishing so many indie games
- Buy Mojang
- Merge Lift London with other UK-based small teams
- Promote Kudo to oversee Lift London and other UK based teams
- Kudo transfered out of Microsoft Games
- Spin off Twisted Pixel Games
- Close Press Play
- Close Lionhead

In light of the W10/Xbox One news recently, I would interpret this as the following: Microsoft does not see themselves as a hardware platform owner anymore. As a result, their interest in developing games is no longer about establishing a diverse portfolio (even at a loss), but instead about just publishing games only if they make reliable money with no risk. Hence why they're willing to sign with outside partners, and hence why they're still making Halo, Forza, Minecraft, and Gears. If you were going to transition away from the hardware model but still wanted to publish the odd game and didn't want to shut down the division at all, this is exactly what you'd do. Besides these franchises, almost all of Microsoft's first-party partners are now working on Hololens, and it's not clear that Hololens is going to be a consumer focused gaming product during the Xbox One's lifespan. The exceptions: the Project Spark team (W10/XO--whose game got shut down) and Decisive Games (presumably working on AoE, for W10/XO), and Rare.

As it relates to Press Play, Microsoft's purchase never really made any sense to begin with, just as it didn't with Twisted Pixel, but my thoughts at the time were that it was driven by wanting to have a robust portfolio of indie exclusives as other indie titles went increasingly multiplatform. Neither company had mega hits, although both had some success. In addition, neither company was all that large, so shutting them down isn't just a vote of non-confidence, it's a vote that they aren't even interested in owning those types of companies.

Finally, separate from the musing about Microsoft Studios, I think Lionhead Studios has been treated extremely poorly by Microsoft. Microsoft did not secure Black & White from EA or The Movies from Activision when they bought Lionhead. The lack of care about the studio's non-Fable history was palpable. Also let it be noted that every non-Fable game they worked on under Microsoft got cancelled. Which would be OK if they cared about Fable, but here's what they did with Fable:
- Fable 3 gets a GFWL PC port that gets discontinued years ago when they run out of keys, MS never bothers to remove GFWL

Microsoft sucks at F2P
Let's talk about free to play, though. Free to play is a pretty exciting business model for publishers and fans alike, if executed properly. MS has really sent some big signals about F2P and their interest in it. How have they done?

- In Summer 2011, Microsoft publishes Age of Empires Online for PC (GFWL). The game was developed by Robot Entertainment, also known as the company that formed when Microsoft closed Ensemble Studios (the previous developers of Age of Empires). Microsoft had Ensemble develop a console exclusive RTS which ended up being a huge hit but then closed them because I guess they didn't want a PC studio? Who knows? The game started as basically a free demo that required you to pay to buy into most of the content. It also started as a busywork grind. A year later, Microsoft, having basically bungled the game's first year, released the game on Steam (still required GFWL) and lowered the prices. This also did not work. Then a few months later they made the game actually F2P--you could unlock all the content by grinding, or pay to accelerate. A little under 2 years after release, they discontinued development on the game. 8 months later they shut down the servers. As the game is online only, it can no longer be played.
- In 2011, Microsoft publishes Crimson Alliance for XBLA as free to play. Except it turns out they don't understand free to play and the game costs money to play. When they are asked about this, they explain that the demo is free to play (as it was for every other XBLA game released on Xbox 360). ??? Great game, no followup, developer is now a support studio for Halo, no chance of game being ported to a modern platform.
- In 2012, Microsoft launches Windows 8. A variety of the launch games for the platform are "Free to Play", including a great little point and click / hidden object hybrid called Adera. The free to play model for Adera is that you can play the first quarter for free and then pay for the rest. So, again, a demo. Other games are actually free to play, but they're versions of games that used to be entirely free. One game is an endless runner called Gunstringer Dead Man Running. Gunstringer is F2P with currency in a similar model to, say, Jetpack Joyride. This game is shut down in 2014.
- In 2012, Microsoft launches Microsoft Flight, a free to play revival of Flight Simulator. Again, the free content is basically a demo, so it's clear they don't understand Free to Play. The game is locked behind GFWL and is PC exclusive. Five months later, they ceased development on the game, leaving it with nowhere near enough content. In 2013, they removed the ability to purchase any of the content or download the game. In 2014, they shut the servers. Note that Microsoft previously killed the team that made Flight Simulator and then created a new team for this project.
- In October 2012, Microsoft launches the first traditionally F2P game on XBLA: Happy Wars, a Japanese-developed tug of war team based hack and slash multiplayer game. This game went pretty well, although they realized that the business model with F2P is attracting as many people as possible so that you can monetize whales, which was at odds with the whole "you need to pay $50 a year to be able to download this game". It's fine, because the developer went ahead and ported the game to Steam without Microsoft. On Steam it has a few million players.
- In May 2013, Microsoft releases Crash Course 2, a sequel to the free Doritos advertorial game Crash Course. It is pretty well received and very popular, millions on the leaderboards near release. Around the same time they release Crash Course Go, a version of the game for Windows 8. Both games are cancelled less than a year after release and the servers shut down effective immediately.
- In July 2013, Microsoft announces Lift London is working on 4 F2P games. None ever release or are announced.
- In September 2013, Microsoft publishes Ascend: New Gods, by Signal Studios, the popular developers of the Toy Soldiers franchise. This is an F2P dungeon crawl 3rd person ARPG, kinda like Kingdoms of Amalur or Elder Scrolls or a more mechanically intense Fable. The game is actually super popular, lots of people play it. Less than a year after release, Microsoft cancels the game, removes it from sale, and gives everyone 3 day's notice about a server shutdown. Also they do not tell the developer, Signal Studios, who is completely blindsided. Signal ports the game to Steam, where it did OK for a while. It's still available. Signal hasn't worked with Microsoft since.
- A little bit before shutting down Ascend: New Gods, Microsoft shows the first footage of Fable Legends. At the time, the game is not specified as F2P, but it's later clarified to be F2P and Xbox One/Windows 10 cross-play. Microsoft teases 5-10 years of support--that this is the Fable series as we know it going forward. Fable Legends is cancelled during open beta.
- In summer 2014, Microsoft betas Project Spark, a game creation game that's F2P with Microtransactions. The game discontinues development and goes free a year after release, the F2P model having not worked at all.
- In June 2015, Microsoft confirms that they are publishing Gigantic, an Xbox One/Windows 10 cross-play F2P MOBA by indie developer Motiga. The game is in closed beta and moving to open beta this summer. Well, maybe, because a month ago the developer announced significant layoffs.

These are not all of Microsoft's F2P failures--I could also talk about the semi-F2P business model of Game Room, which failed, Microsoft's bad attempts to make their old free Windows parlour games (Minesweeper, Mahjong, Solitaire) into money-making opportunities but instead alienating their audience, Age of Empires: Castle Siege (a bad Clash of Clans clone).

I could also talk about the failure of their cloud gaming initiative by exploring how just about every Microsoft server-based game has been shut down. I could also talk about how Galactic Reign, released by Microsoft as a bold experiment in cloud-based rendering of cutscenes -- pay attention if you like Quantum Break -- shut down 6 months after release, leaving players unable to play the game. I could also talk about how all of Microsoft's major initiatives with the Xbox One: Smartglass, Cloud-based Rendering or Computing Features, and Dedicated Servers are all defunct.

Microsoft is the absolute master of failing at things even when it'd be easier to succeed. The good news is, pretty soon they'll have no more internal studios to shut down besides the ones reliably pumping out their biggest franchises every two years. As someone who bought a lot of Microsoft Game Studios titles and really loved so much of what they accomplished on 360, it sucks that shifting corporate priorities and an unwillingness to fully commit to gaming sabotaged so much of what they could have accomplished.

helluva post ya got there, stump.

yes, the XOne will be Microsoft's last console, 32X expansions notwithstanding.

inky

I'm trying to decide whether that's a good or a bad thing w.r.t. UWP.

Also, Age of Empires online was actually fun :/

Once you got past the: $10-$15 per civilization it was a great game. I waited so long for the Celts, then played very little when they finally came out =(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is probably new thread worthy. I didn't believe it at first and thought people were always joking when they said it, but I honestly believe MS is getting out the console business and being PC only. Hope the NX will be a hit, if not it's only going to be Sony.
I think they're doing what Phil basically said they're doing, which is turning it into a regular device line product like Surface or Windows Phone.

Frequent iterative updates, not much R&D cost, focus on selling at a profit, and it's just one of the ways you can buy their content (be it games or otherwise) along with PC and eventually your other Windows devices.

Doesn't matter if it sells a ton because whatever it's doing is built to be profitable at low volume and is just one if a myriad of channels you can buy their games or movies or use Office on.

Toward this end I'm expecting a lot more "living room Windows" talk going forward as they try to stop marketing it as just a games console.

Papacheeks

Banned
Lol youre acting as MS is the only one in this business for money

They are all in it for money. But some of them though have the foresight to invest for legacy. Like Nintendo always tried to with how they approached hardware, and you know what looking back there's still no one that makes hand helds like they do or has the legacy that they do.
Sony has a legacy with their console, they actually were out to prove when they started the console project as just a hobby. The rest of Sony didn't think it would do anything or have significance to the industry.

Microsoft got into video games because they wanted to replace all your electronics in the living room with one box. Even in OG xbox days they wanted a windows device in your living room.
But the great people like J allard had different aspirations. They wanted people to be able to enjoy PC type games in their living room. ANd that's why they signed so many PC developers for games on OG xbox.

It could have had the legacy to me which brought online multiplayer to masses in their living room. I feel that's Microsoft's stamp on the industry which is pretty awesome. But once they saw money in a Microsoft owned service, that's ultimately to me where it fell apart. They didn't care about the software.

Nintendo's foundation is on designed for fun, and artistic taste. Playstations is play for everyone no matter your age, or what ever your into. Microsoft is play together, play with your friends no matter where they are.
They all want to make money, but all got into the business for other reasons on top of financials.

GHG

Gold Member
This is fucking crazy.

Why would they outright cancel the game instead of getting it out and then closing the studio? I mean, at least try to recoup some of your investment if you're going to shut something down.

Will be interesting to see what we find out in the future once people start talking.

im still fucking stunned at this news.
Fable Legends had just received SOME PRETTY major updates in the last few weeks.

Its pretty damn stunning yeah. Its still sinking in that Fable as a franchise is fucking dead. I adored the 1st two games and not sure I'll ever be able to forgive them 100% for how they ruined Lionhead. That said MS has done this shit multiple times to some of my favorite teams. Look what happened with Ensemble. Idk in a lot of ways MS has been very bad for this industry

GnawtyDog

Banned
So what dirt does Phil Spencer have on everyone to have survived this long at Microsoft Game Studios and Xbox. That's quite the train wreck being head of

He's the one pulling the axe and knives? While keeping the diehards in the hope™, believe™ wagon. Mattrick was dismissed for wrecking the brand - simple as that. Phil is doing another job...overseeing a change of priorities and a slow exit?

I don't understand the last minute cancellation of a F2P game in an otherwise moribund franchise at all.

This game was playable on the show floor at Pax East a year ago.

nib95

Banned
This is fucking crazy.

Why would they outright cancel the game instead of getting it out and then closing the studio? I mean, at least try to recoup some of your investment if you're going to shut something down.

Will be interesting to see what we find out in the future once people start talking.

Maybe they don't think the return would be sufficient to cover the remaining development cost, or up-keep in terms of servers, patches, updates, maintenance etc?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah I didn't want to get too much into individual game publishing in the post since it was already long enough, so I only kept stuff that was central to my three points. I mentioned Black Tusk because what was clearly supposed to be an investment in broadening their portfolio became a way to continue one of their Big-3 series' when Epic pulled out.

Great post though, honestly would make a terrific article if fleshed out a bit.

The truth is that if you look unsentimentally at the situation, it makes sense for MS to jettison the hardware portion of the Xbox segment. Its a costly and unpredictable enterprise that offers them relatively little value over maintaining a pure software platform.

Establishing Live created a strong profit centre for them, which is the real bottom line as far as MS is concerned now that the battle for the living room has been won, not by Sony, but by smart devices from a multitude of providers.

Plasma

Banned
What the fuck can't believe this is real B&W and Fable were awesome games. Hope the developers find their feet quickly somewhere else.

4Tran

The writing has been on the wall ever since Microsoft announced their big shift in direction for Xbox. Anything that doesn't fit into their new vision was going to get the boot, and nothing is really safe unless it's a sure hit. And in the event that this new vision doesn't pan out, the cuts will get deeper and deeper. Microsoft isn't really interested in Xbox as a hardware platform the way they were in the past, so this might be a sign that they're not planning to stay in that market.

Who is saying this isn't at all Phil's fault?

I guess he could have made Lionhead cancel it earlier when it was obviously in trouble.

Sure this was one of Mattrick's remaining games to still be in development but I was surprised Phil let this thing sit in development hell for so long. Fable Legends is a game nobody asked for and the hype just wasn't there.

This is fucking crazy.

I'm guessing they thought the financial investment needed to maintain the servers and continue development was too high. It could also be a case of choosing to not further tarnish the Fable IP in case a Fable 4 is in the cards.

I still think it's dumb too, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wondering how buying Mojang fits into this list of mostly if not all other negative points? I know it's not organic growth internally, but it can only be a boon to MSFT overall buying the maker of arguably the most popular franchise worldwide today in Minecraft right..?

I think Microsoft's purchase of Mojang was very smart and the price was right in light of the value and the forex / repatriation of capital / tax holiday issue. I think what it implies for MS gaming is that they'd rather own a few gazillion-selling franchises than be a platform owner. So it's not that buying Mojang is a negative the way some of that stuff is, but it fits in with a pivot away from being a platform owner (who loss-leads and publishes a breadth of stuff and drives hardware install base) to being a software publisher that focuses on a few mega hits.

Sure this was one of Mattrick's remaining games to still be in development but I was surprised Phil let this thing sit in development hell for so long. Fable Legends is a game nobody asked for and the hype just wasn't there.

Mattrick's remaining games? Last I check Phil Spencer was the head of Microsoft Studios not Don Mattrick.

Phil was head of their studios...can't believe people are posting this.

Banned
- Start Lift London
- Buy Mojang
- Merge Lift London with other UK-based small teams
- Promote Kudo to oversee Lift London and other UK based teams
- Kudo transfered out of Microsoft Games
- Spin off Twisted Pixel Games
- Close Press Play
- Close Lionhead

In light of the W10/Xbox One news recently, I would interpret this as the following: Microsoft does not see themselves as a hardware platform owner anymore. As a result, their interest in developing games is no longer about establishing a diverse portfolio (even at a loss), but instead about just publishing games only if they make reliable money with no risk. Hence why they're willing to sign with outside partners, and hence why they're still making Halo, Forza, Minecraft, and Gears. If you were going to transition away from the hardware model but still wanted to publish the odd game and didn't want to shut down the division at all, this is exactly what you'd do. Besides these franchises, almost all of Microsoft's first-party partners are now working on Hololens, and it's not clear that Hololens is going to be a consumer focused gaming product during the Xbox One's lifespan. The exceptions: the Project Spark team (W10/XO--whose game got shut down) and Decisive Games (presumably working on AoE, for W10/XO), and Rare.

As it relates to Press Play, Microsoft's purchase never really made any sense to begin with, just as it didn't with Twisted Pixel, but my thoughts at the time were that it was driven by wanting to have a robust portfolio of indie exclusives as other indie titles went increasingly multiplatform. Neither company had mega hits, although both had some success. In addition, neither company was all that large, so shutting them down isn't just a vote of non-confidence, it's a vote that they aren't even interested in owning those types of companies.

Microsoft sucks at F2P
Let's talk about free to play, though. Free to play is a pretty exciting business model for publishers and fans alike, if executed properly. MS has really sent some big signals about F2P and their interest in it. How have they done?

- In Summer 2011, Microsoft publishes Age of Empires Online for PC (GFWL). The game was developed by Robot Entertainment, also known as the company that formed when Microsoft closed Ensemble Studios (the previous developers of Age of Empires). Microsoft had Ensemble develop a console exclusive RTS which ended up being a huge hit but then closed them because I guess they didn't want a PC studio? Who knows? The game started as basically a free demo that required you to pay to buy into most of the content. It also started as a busywork grind. A year later, Microsoft, having basically bungled the game's first year, released the game on Steam (still required GFWL) and lowered the prices. This also did not work. Then a few months later they made the game actually F2P--you could unlock all the content by grinding, or pay to accelerate. A little under 2 years after release, they discontinued development on the game. 8 months later they shut down the servers. As the game is online only, it can no longer be played.
- In 2011, Microsoft publishes Crimson Alliance for XBLA as free to play. Except it turns out they don't understand free to play and the game costs money to play. When they are asked about this, they explain that the demo is free to play (as it was for every other XBLA game released on Xbox 360). ??? Great game, no followup, developer is now a support studio for Halo, no chance of game being ported to a modern platform.
- In 2012, Microsoft launches Windows 8. A variety of the launch games for the platform are "Free to Play", including a great little point and click / hidden object hybrid called Adera. The free to play model for Adera is that you can play the first quarter for free and then pay for the rest. So, again, a demo. Other games are actually free to play, but they're versions of games that used to be entirely free. One game is an endless runner called Gunstringer Dead Man Running. Gunstringer is F2P with currency in a similar model to, say, Jetpack Joyride. This game is shut down in 2014.
- In 2012, Microsoft launches Microsoft Flight, a free to play revival of Flight Simulator. Again, the free content is basically a demo, so it's clear they don't understand Free to Play. The game is locked behind GFWL and is PC exclusive. Five months later, they ceased development on the game, leaving it with nowhere near enough content. In 2013, they removed the ability to purchase any of the content or download the game. In 2014, they shut the servers. Note that Microsoft previously killed the team that made Flight Simulator and then created a new team for this project.
- In October 2012, Microsoft launches the first traditionally F2P game on XBLA: Happy Wars, a Japanese-developed tug of war team based hack and slash multiplayer game. This game went pretty well, although they realized that the business model with F2P is attracting as many people as possible so that you can monetize whales, which was at odds with the whole "you need to pay $50 a year to be able to download this game". It's fine, because the developer went ahead and ported the game to Steam without Microsoft. On Steam it has a few million players.
- In May 2013, Microsoft releases Crash Course 2, a sequel to the free Doritos advertorial game Crash Course. It is pretty well received and very popular, millions on the leaderboards near release. Around the same time they release Crash Course Go, a version of the game for Windows 8. Both games are cancelled less than a year after release and the servers shut down effective immediately.
- In July 2013, Microsoft announces Lift London is working on 4 F2P games. None ever release or are announced.
- In September 2013, Microsoft publishes Ascend: New Gods, by Signal Studios, the popular developers of the Toy Soldiers franchise. This is an F2P dungeon crawl 3rd person ARPG, kinda like Kingdoms of Amalur or Elder Scrolls or a more mechanically intense Fable. The game is actually super popular, lots of people play it. Less than a year after release, Microsoft cancels the game, removes it from sale, and gives everyone 3 day's notice about a server shutdown. Also they do not tell the developer, Signal Studios, who is completely blindsided. Signal ports the game to Steam, where it did OK for a while. It's still available. Signal hasn't worked with Microsoft since.
- A little bit before shutting down Ascend: New Gods, Microsoft shows the first footage of Fable Legends. At the time, the game is not specified as F2P, but it's later clarified to be F2P and Xbox One/Windows 10 cross-play. Microsoft teases 5-10 years of support--that this is the Fable series as we know it going forward. Fable Legends is cancelled during open beta.
- In summer 2014, Microsoft betas Project Spark, a game creation game that's F2P with Microtransactions. The game discontinues development and goes free a year after release, the F2P model having not worked at all.
- In June 2015, Microsoft confirms that they are publishing Gigantic, an Xbox One/Windows 10 cross-play F2P MOBA by indie developer Motiga. The game is in closed beta and moving to open beta this summer. Well, maybe, because a month ago the developer announced significant layoffs.

These are not all of Microsoft's F2P failures--I could also talk about the semi-F2P business model of Game Room, which failed, Microsoft's bad attempts to make their old free Windows parlour games (Minesweeper, Mahjong, Solitaire) into money-making opportunities but instead alienating their audience, Age of Empires: Castle Siege (a bad Clash of Clans clone).

I could also talk about the failure of their cloud gaming initiative by exploring how just about every Microsoft server-based game has been shut down. I could also talk about how Galactic Reign, released by Microsoft as a bold experiment in cloud-based rendering of cutscenes -- pay attention if you like Quantum Break -- shut down 6 months after release, leaving players unable to play the game. I could also talk about how all of Microsoft's major initiatives with the Xbox One: Smartglass, Cloud-based Rendering or Computing Features, and Dedicated Servers are all defunct.

Microsoft is the absolute master of failing at things even when it'd be easier to succeed. The good news is, pretty soon they'll have no more internal studios to shut down besides the ones reliably pumping out their biggest franchises every two years. As someone who bought a lot of Microsoft Game Studios titles and really loved so much of what they accomplished on 360, it sucks that shifting corporate priorities and an unwillingness to fully commit to gaming sabotaged so much of what they could have accomplished.
Fantastic.

I guess we can wave goodbye to one off risks like ReCore, Scalebound and Quantum Break in the future and just get lots of Forza, Gears, Halo and Minecraft.

RIP Lionhead.
RIP Rare.

Volcane

Sad news, especially for UK games industry. Used to play Populous(Bullfrog), Powermonger(Bullfrog) and Black&White loads back in the day. But I never played any of the Fable games.

It seems that Microsoft didn't use them very well, much like they haven't used Rare that well. I think they may have wasted loads of time and resources on Project Milo for Kinect.

Nairume

Banned
If your working on Halo, Forza, and Gears your safe. But then again I would have included Fable so really no one is safe at this point. These are some uncertain times for Microsoft.
Honestly, I don't think Fable was ever really on the level of being as safe as Halo, Forza, and Gears.

Even with it selling fairly well, it always seemed pretty obvious that there was a general disappointment in the series from all angles and that MS and Lionhead were always scrambling to find ways to rework it into something that stood out better (and beyond the absurd hype built up for the first game).

charsace

I really don't understand this cancellation. The game was good and had to have been making money once they announced no more server wipes. The game has also been getting steady updates. I think this would have been a hit for them. I wonder if I can get a refund for what I spent on this game.

Raxus

It sucks how people forget about the bolded part. You also forgot to mention the cancellation of Phantom Dust.

Based Phil Spencer.

You also forgot to mention the announcement trailer that had no studio input while they were still developing the foundation for the game.

The fuckery that goes on in MS studios is mind boggling.
I really don't understand this cancellation. The game was good and had to have been making money once they announced no more server wipes. The game has also been getting steady updates. I think this would have been a hit for them. I wonder if I can get a refund for what I spent on this game.
Posted earlier but they are fully refunding in game purchases in the beta.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
You weren't "promised" anything. Games are announced and get cancelled. It's not ideal, and I'm sure MS recognizes they made mistakes, but releasing a game you know is bad, you don't want to support and you don't think will do well is not a good way to sustain good "human relationships" with your customers. A majority of the gaming audience will never even know Fable Legends was ever a thing.

And I don't even understand your second point. That Microsoft should have used that money to buy a japanese publisher that may or may not even be for sale, and who has been having it's own share of financial problems, instead of buying the most valuable/successful new gaming IP among kids and teens? Is this some kind of gamer logic?

Sometimes people have trouble realize money once the price gets to a certain astronomical amount. 2.5 billion is a lot of money.
My point is about investment, Microsoft has money to spend but
Clearly Microsoft is no longer interested in nurturing /building it's own 1st Party Line-up.
Clearly Microsoft has shifted its interest from console to pc.

Top Bottom