• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

Sydle

They did have another project. ;/

Is that confirmed? They spoke years ago about another IP, but I don't remember any other information ever coming of it.

When John Needham took over the studio in early 2014 he said he was going to make Lionhead a games-as-a-service studio. Phil said that LH structured themselves around FL, so I just assumed the other project got killed.

After all the news this week and the additional rumors I've been hearing I'm seriously thinking about trading my Xbox one and games for steam credit and be done with it. At least before they are worthless. I play my WiiU more and I hardly ever play my WiiU. Also I'm seriously concerned that the Xbox One days are numbered. I don't have any interest in getting a ps4 either.

sure I don't have to study tonight, lay it out for us curious folks

Well, confirmed as of June 2014 that there were 8 people prototyping new IP ideas.

Maybe things changed since then, but there are definitely stuff behind the scenes that's at least a year in the concept oven.

Some of the incubation team guys left last summer iirc including the guy heading it so...

Some of the incubation team guys left last summer iirc including the guy heading it so...

Gary, right?

That's why I said a year in the oven. Even if it's currently not being worked on/put on ice, there were "ideas" and projects that happened for a sizable amount of time. (1+ years)

That didn't seem to pan out as well.

What additional rumors? You are going to be missing out on a lot of games. Quantum Break, Recore, Gears 4, Scalebound,Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3. Some users are only speculating but poorly I will admit.

Aren't all of those titles except Crackdown confirmed (or relialy leaked) for PC?

I don't know anything for fact so it is all rumor and bullshit at this point but it seems as though a lot of things are being pushed for PC.

I am full of shit and it is just a feeling.

Xiao Hu

I wonder how high the cost would have been for Microsoft to try to spin off Lionhead completely out of their developing studios, basically releasing them as an independent entity. Valve did it once with Turtlerock but I'm very unfamiliar with the procedure and the costs involved in that process. Besides they even might have been able to sell it(with or without an IP) to get a little bit cash out of this whole affair, nothing they need though apparently.

Matt

I wonder how high the cost would have been for Microsoft to try to spin off Lionhead completely out of their developing studios, basically releasing them as an independent entity. Valve did it once with Turtlerock but I'm very unfamiliar with the procedure and the costs involved in that process. Besides they even might have been able to sell it(with or without an IP) to get a little bit cash out of this whole affair, nothing they need though apparently.

To do that, someone has to put up the cash to support it. For Bungie, someone did. I doubt there was anyone to do that for Lionhead.

Xiao Hu

To do that, someone has to put up the cash to support it. For Bungie, someone did. I doubt there was anyone to do that for Lionhead.

Yeah exactly. I mean ethically it would have been the sensible move to do but since when are ethical concerns a thing in any big industry? And like you mentioned I also highly doubt that there was/is any external party willing to contribute financial means to preserve a developer whose performance has been mediocre at most for the last years.

bonkeng

Please don't tell me you are listening to the people on here that are clearly delusional saying Microsoft is exiting the console business.

Windows 10 store yeh. I enjoy having both but each to their own :)

And what makes you so sure that MS aren't exiting console business?

I'm just curious on why you are so confident enough to say people are delusional.

mcrommert

Banned
And what makes you so sure that MS aren't exiting console business?

I'm just curious on why you are so confident enough to say people are delusional.

If only we could have a thread of shame...but people will just keep saying "they're about to shut down"

Well, confirmed as of June 2014 that there were 8 people prototyping new IP ideas.

Maybe things changed since then, but there are definitely stuff behind the scenes that's at least a year in the concept oven.

Having a team prototyping new ideas is not the same as having a new IP in development. It's the same mismanagement that happened with Sony's Studio Liverpool -- having a developer fully reliant on a single franchise of decreasing popularity is a really bad idea in the long run.

Alexious

Aren't all of those titles except Crackdown confirmed (or relialy leaked) for PC?

Quantum Break, ReCore and Halo Wars 2 are confirmed. Gears of War 4 is pretty close with Greenberg naming it a console exclusive and Fergusson saying it will "possibly" come to PC.

Scalebound was in a list of Windows Store Game IDs found in one of the Gears of War: Ultimate files. Only Crackdown 3 still doesn't have any solid hint of a PC version.

What additional rumors are those?

Nothing that hasn't been already speculated on this thread. I have a good pc and I'm likely to build a new one later this year if new tech hits. If there is a new Xbox One, if all the games are coming to the pc and I'm done with the already released exlusives, I don't see a reason to keep my current box.

bonkeng

If only we could have a thread of shame...but people will just keep saying "they're about to shut down"

Well, I personally believe MS isn't ready to give up on XB1.

But if they do give up, I won't be surprised.

Nothing is sure now when it comes to MS. Everything is possible now at this point.

Illucio

Banned
Please don't tell me you are listening to the people on here that are clearly delusional saying Microsoft is exiting the console business.

Windows 10 store yeh. I enjoy having both but each to their own :)
Mhmmm look at the signs though.

Microsoft comment in the past saying Xbox One will probably be the last console.

They've been slowly announcing upcoming XBox exclusively IP's for PC.

Developer comes out claiming that Microsoft is planning on making a monopoly on PC gaming.

Abruptly closing down studios without even their knowledge until the public announcement the day of. Despite being almost complete with a game with positive reaction.

Buying Minecraft, arguably the biggest online game ever and a new cultural phenomenon. Where the majority of players are on PC. ( I don't play the game but you can't deny it's sucess)

Microsoft might be trying to get ahead of the game in the PC gaming world. I doubt Xbox is going anyway in terms of name and branding. But I think it's slowly becoming clear where Microsoft is moving their focus towards.

I have no time nor interest in starting to doubt MS and Xbox. Xbox One is doing fine now and if we are to believe Phil Spencer Xbox is here to stay and the news about an upgradeable Xbox One is something i can only consider good news.

chadskin

Interesting feature by MCV:

It’s almost three years since that ill-fated Xbox One reveal shocked the company. Don Mattrick and his team, including the likes of Phil Harrison, had a very different vision for the future of the console. A disc-less, always-online business with games that offered something very different to your typical box-model approach.

One former Lionhead employee even told me that Harrison once insisted that – with the exception of Remedy’s Quantum Break – Xbox’s European studios will never work on a ‘traditional’ game again.
Phil Spencer is now the man in charge. He’s a more conservative man, happy to adhere to the demands of his fans and focus on the big triple-A titles such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War.

One unsubstantiated story that reached our desks was that Spencer had gone into Lionhead and asked it if it was too late to turn Fable Legends into a more traditional product – a story I could well believe.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/opin...you-re-making-a-mistake-with-lionhead/0163920

kgo1pCq.jpg

Jokes aside, looking at Harrison's babies from Sony (Singstar, Home), he's always been a games-as-a-service guy.

I have no time nor interest in starting to doubt MS and Xbox. Xbox One is doing fine now and if we are to believe Phil Spencer Xbox is here to stay and the news about an upgradeable Xbox One is something i can only consider good news.

Interested to see how MS attempt to break the news lightly to mega fans like yourself at E3. I'm gonna go with "look at all these PC games! Now coming to Xbox One...(when you install Windows 10).

Elandyll

Banned

wapplew

It's frankly hilarious to continue seeing many UK/ US media push the story that Phil Pencer is the promised savior, up to and including mentionning "Mattrick's team" with Phil Harrison to place blame, omitting to say that Phil was a key part of the Xbox management even then as the head of MS Game Studios...

Maybe it's the truth? They have ex lion head employees as source.

It's frankly hilarious to continue seeing many UK/ US media push the story that Phil Spencer is the promised savior, up to and including mentionning "Mattrick's team" with Phil Harrison to place blame, omitting to say that Phil was a key part of the Xbox management team even then as the head of MS Game Studios...

Gotta scape those goats baby.

It's frankly hilarious to continue seeing many UK/ US media push the story that Phil Spencer is the promised savior, up to and including mentionning "Mattrick's team" with Phil Harrison to place blame, omitting to say that Phil was a key part of the Xbox management team even then as the head of MS Game Studios...

It's like Phil Spencer didn't even work there, one time it's because his hands are tied and Mattrick took all the decisions and another time it's because one of his subordinate is making all the decisions.

Rymuth

It's like Phil Spencer didn't even work there, one time it's because his hands are tied and Mattrick took all the decisions and another time it's because one of his subordinate is making all the decisions.
Right now, the narrative is that people above him are pressuring him into these unpopular decisions. So basically nothing has changed. He's still helpless. Why continue blitheringly believe in someone who has no power?

Papacheeks

Banned
I understand they are making a push for games on existing devices., PC tablet etc under Windows 10. But I'm talking about a new product here, as suggested by Phil Spencer the other day.

As for your Lionhead comments. First don't be so rude, if you can't converse like an adult then don't try talking to one. Be civil.

Second, you make some pretty bold claims there around the operation of the studio. Do you have any real evidence?

It's actually common that big studios work on games of their own choosing. Peter Molyneux loved Fable and Kinect etc. We have no idea with regards to the operation and output of Lionhead.

According to the MVC article we do. Which basically backs up my statement. It's not rocket science in seeing what MS values more about XBOX division. Phil Spencer is not the one making these decisions that basically sealed Lion heads fate. If U read the article he was trying to save traditional fable.

And to being rude. Sorry as I thought you being a PC person would know like myself MS's shady past with the Xbox platform and killing of other developers and projects by means of mismanagement.

You were as acting oblivious to MS's treatment and decisions that are big signs in how their philosophy is very different in how they treat and manage projects/studios.

Their microtransactions in big titles like Forza,Halo 5 req system. Buying majong for the purpose of just having it preinstalled on every windows 10 tablet,PC to gave renewable income. They even tore up fucking solitaire in 10 with dlc type transactions. Something that has been free and staple in Windows now wants to make money off of it.

wapplew

Right now, the narrative is that people above him are pressuring him into these unpopular decisions. So basically nothing has changed. He's still helpless. Why continue blitheringly believe in someone who has no power?

Because he bring us BC, game with gold, app not behind pay wall, kill Kinect2.0, fight console warrior and promise Xbox will not go away.

Sydle

The switching Fable's direction part?
That's not really what gives me pause here... more like the double standard and Mattrick's scapegoating.

Mattrick did bring Harrison on board to run the EMEA side of things and had him as a direct report.

Additionally, Harrison was the one who brought John Needham in to run Lionhead after Molyneux left. Needham had a games-as-a-service back ground and explicitly said he would turn Lionhead into a games-as-a-service studio. He reported to Harrison.

I'm sure Spencer was there in some capacity, but he certainly wasn't calling all the shots on the direction of their games.

If good guy Phil wanted to save Lionhead, but it was too late because they had gotten too far into a project, then why did he close down Press Play as well? They weren't all too far into their project. They could have still been repurposed to work on something else.

By their actions, it is very clear that MS is not interested in owning first party studios anymore, other than for guaranteed hits like Halo and Forza, for as long as these IPs can survive the milking. Why this is, we can only speculate. There is a good case to be made that they are moving away from dedicated Xbox hardware, but you can make cases for other scenarios as well.

Interested to see how MS attempt to break the news lightly to mega fans like yourself at E3. I'm gonna go with "look at all these PC games! Now coming to Xbox One...(when you install Windows 10).

Genuine question, whats your problem? You seem obsessed and consumed by Microsoft related threads and news and seem to take the same approach in every thread no matter the actual context.

Its a little disturbing :)

If good guy Phil wanted to save Lionhead, but it was too late because they had gotten too far into a project, then why did he close down Press Play as well? They weren't all too far into their project. They could have still been repurposed to work on something else.

I think studios like Press Play and Twisted Pixel were acquired back when there was a desire to have the mid-tier/smaller scale product portfolio lineup that complements the big AAA games.

But those kind of games doesn't really seem to do well, but rather are just complementary to the portfolio.

Sydle

Agent Phill also give Sea of thieves go head, if the game turn out great, we have to clear his name then.

Yeah, the game started under Harrison (he said it was one of the most fun projects in his career), but Spencer did approve it back in November 2014 when he got to see it for the first time and play it.

I think studios like Press Play and Twisted Pixel were acquired back when there was a desire to have the mid-tier/smaller scale product portfolio lineup that complements the big AAA games.

But those kind of games doesn't really seem to do well, but rather are just complementary to the portfolio.

I don't agree with this at all. This year The Witness and Firewatch have both been a huge success. And we have stuff like Salt and Sanctuary and No Man's Sky coming up, that will probably do really well as well. The small/mid-scale is thriving right now.

Top Bottom