• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Devil Inside Trailer (PC, PS4, PS5, RPG with awesome cartoon art)

Nice to see they updated the site and posted some announcements. Thinking it's not a scam either anymore (hopefully), but still it's best to be wary of the campaign. Super ambitious + vague descriptions is never a good sign.

The language barrier seems to be a part of it, but a project like this, that seems so far along going by that trailer, I need to see more. I've seen, followed, and played enough pre-alphas and alphas to be kind of suspicious that the trailer is more mock-up than actual gameplay

Still looks REALLY sketchy to me.

• Different camera behaviors in the video.
  • No gameplay besides the combat scene.
  • The mouse cursor (that doesn't match gameplay actions) looks like they recorded over pre-renderer footage (or at least gameplay with After Effects post fx on top).
  • No info on creators.
  • Almost no communication from the team.
  • No info on technologies used.
  • No info on budget/distribution of spending.
  • Campaign description with basic info and buzzwords.
  • No screenshots, gifs, concept art or any sort of material.
  • Very basic website.

I hope there's something real behind all this buzz, but for now I'd advise caution; even if the project's real, their current execution of marketing/communication raises a lot of red flags and will propagate to the rest of development.

Still looks REALLY sketchy to me.

• Different camera behaviors in the video.
  • No gameplay besides the combat scene.
  • The mouse cursor (that doesn't match gameplay actions) looks like they recorded over pre-renderer footage (or at least gameplay with After Effects post fx on top).
  • No info on creators.
  • Almost no communication from the team.
  • No info on technologies used.
  • No info on budget/distribution of spending.
  • Campaign description with basic info and buzzwords.
  • No screenshots, gifs, concept art or any sort of material.
  • Very basic website.

I hope there's something real behind all this buzz, but for now I'd advise caution; even if the project's real, their current execution of marketing/communication raises a lot of red flags and will propagate to the rest of development.
Totally agree, I mentioned a lot of those concerns on the previous page too. It's actually interesting to see that all it takes to get 43k is a really pretty video. That's a problem when everything else about the campaign feels off. You'd think that by now people would be more cautious and aware of how to gauge Kickstarters.

Totally agree, I mentioned a lot of those concerns on the previous page too. It's actually interesting to see that all it takes to get 43k is a really pretty video. That's a problem when everything else about the campaign feels off. You'd think that by now people would be more cautious and aware of how to gauge Kickstarters.

Yeah.. so they just updated the Kickstarter description with.. (pay attention):

System Requirements:

Minimum Requirements - TBD

Recommended Requirements (Please note that these specs may change towards final build. )

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.8 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 650 Ti or Radeon HD 7790
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

What's the point? It won't release until late 2016.. you still need to implement lots of stuff and optimize the game before knowing the specs. That's bullshit.

Platform Availability:

Little Devil Inside will be available for PC, Linux and Mac. However we are eager to try and get the game onto consoles as well. As developers, and this being our first title, it is our hope to make the game available to reach as many gamers as possible.

PC, Mac & Linux. Nothing new here.

Release Dates:

We have been very careful about giving out any release dates basically for two reasons.

Firstly, this is very much influenced by the amount of funding and collaboration we can gather and secondly, we do not wish to be one of those that end up posting news that the game release has been postponed for whatever reason.

To give you a rough idea, we are aiming for a Fall 2016 release.

Fall 2016 makes sense for a big team, but not for 2 people.

FYI:

Game Screen Option - Available in full screen with/without letterbox.
Depth of Field - Toggle on/off option.
Camera Option - Default 3rd person (like Zelda) with adjustable options. Free camera option will also be provided for screenshots.
Control Option - Game control pad supported.

WTF. My guess is they are answering here user questions..

MultIplayer:

Friend invite (like Borderland)
Random encounter with other players within the game.

Multiplayer is REALLY hard to implement properly, and here we have not only 1 multiplayer mode, but 2 different multiplayer modes?? Friend invites is a direct connection server/client style.. but random encounters requires a server hosting the game instance, or at least one player should act as a server to serve the game instance to the other players.. idk, anyway it looks like they are making the stuff up.

As a positive note, the 'combat scene' from the video looks legit. The rest of the scenes use specific animations (not gameplay), and they have still not uploaded new screenshots or material to the campaign, the only screenshots are stills from the video (which usually denotes everything is pre-recorded and can't be modified / not interactive).

Let's wait for more info I guess.. I want to be proven wrong, as the game looks beautiful.

Hadn't seen that latest update. Yeah, I totally hope it's legit, because the art style and scope looks absolutely gorgeous. But after the whole Confederate Express debacle, I tend to be more cautious of campaigns, even if they have a gameplay video.

Please note that they are Koreans.
Perhaps they're some kind of genius or something. :D
Well, let's just wait if you don't want to back. If the game delivers, buy it. No harm done, right?

Please note that they are Koreans.
Perhaps they're some kind of genius or something. :D
Well, let's just wait if you don't want to back. If the game delivers, buy it. No harm done, right?
True. I've done the annual Kickstarter threads last year and this year on GAF so I guess I'm more critical of campaigns than most.

pcostabel

Gold Member
They have updated the Kickstarter page:

viiIIRw.jpg

Little Devil Inside is fundamentally an exploration focused survival action RPG game. Although it sounds elaborate, it all makes perfect sense to us.
Compared to some other games of this genre in the past, the game focuses more on ordinary everyday life. As in real life, where a hard week's work is rewarded by a relaxing or refreshing weekend, we wanted to create a world and provide elements within it where you can return back to town (or your home) after an adventurous mission to regather and reequip - a definite environmental contrast. Unlike some other survival games, there will be a home town or city to return to and rest and prepare for your next mission. The town itself will have its own set of events and elements to interact with.

Work to achieve your missions

The game will not be about entering dungeons, killing at a monster as quickly as you can and returning to town to obtain rewards.

The pace of the game will be like a long journey.

You will need to prepare for any unexpected encounters with the weather, have the necessary intel about the region, equip your gear as you see fit, get on a vehicle and react to unexpected events that arise during your journey. Depending on how you prepare for the mission and how you react and respond to events will determine how easily or hard you can achieve the missions.

Know your enemy

One of the most important things to do when preparing for your mission is of course, knowing as much as you can about the enemy that lie ahead. Each monster or creature or enemy will have different characteristics and stats hence different habits and behaviors so it will be advantageous to you to equip yourselves with the right weapons and protective gear before embarking.

Faculty Management

The basic setting is this. You are hired by a Professor who is investigating and studying unusual, concerning activities in the outside world to develop new technologies. As a member of his faculty, you are hired to go on risky missions (he may tag along on some) to investigate and bring back bits of information and/or artifacts for further study and analysis.

More than that, you can manage your own team as part of the Faculty. You can interview and hire new team members and send them on missions that match their specialties.

Encounter events while travelling through the world map

There will be public transportation as well as vehicles you can control, maintain and upgrade yourself.

Using transportation doesn't necessarily mean taking a short cut to your missions. However, it'll be faster than legging it! Even on public transportation (such as a train) you will be within a scene (such as sitting and looking out the window) during the time to your destination and unexpected events may arise.

Events may be good or bad - you may run into another character that side spins off to a mini mission or offer help with your current mission, the train may come under attack and you may have to get out and fight etc.

We are planning to include as many unique events as possible to give you a more engaging and unique experience in your missions.

Dynamic movement

All non-combat animations whether controlled or not will also be smooth and dynamic with all the usual movements - walk, run, sneak, climb, slide, jump, dive, sit etc. There will be natural motion blending between character animation sets.

This all blends in and becomes pretty much a part of the art and design concept.

Hybrid targeting system

Players will able to toggle between auto target and single target. The auto target will be useful when confronting a group or a hoard of enemies.

When confronted with an elite enemy or monster for a 1 vs 1 duel. the single target will enable a more focused combat position.

Gears

Graft science & technolgy with supernatural powers and artifacts gained from killing demons, monsters and creatures to upgrade your steampunky weapons and armor. You can also upgrade your vehicles for better performance and durability.

Immersive UI Design

Consistent with the game's design concept (being minimalism), the game's UI will also be kept minimal. This means minimizing the number of keys the player has to remember and rather, blending much of the UI into the game environment itself. In doing so, we hope that the user stays more immersed in the game. We wish to build a UI that is very much a part of the game play and not be a separate "tool".

The focus of what we are trying to achieve is not the mission itself but all the minor details during the journey that accumulate to give that immersive experience that remain as reminiscences in the player's minds.

To try and achieve the challenge we have, the UI can design we wish to achieve has two purposes:

1. Emotional Purpose

If you've played action adventure games before then all the basic direct actions such as movements, attack, duck, roll, climb block etc. will mapped on standard key settings.

The HUD (heads-up display) that normally displays character status however, we hope to keep minimal and remove from the screen as much as possible. We wish to create an environment that draws the user in emotionally closer to the protagonist he is controlling. For example, if the character is hungry, sick, cold or scared, the user will notice this through actual animation visuals and/or simple icons that appear above the character as if the character is actually wanting to communicate. Of course, the user will always have the freedom to check the character's status at any time.

2. Simple

A universal Interaction Key will be assigned that triggers a common menu to appear that shows the available interactive actions specific to the object.

For example, clicking on a character will trigger a menu to appear that shows the status, items etc and clicking on objects such as a chair will show a menu listing actions the character can perform (sit, lie, kick etc.). On occasions, the menu may include unexpected things that you can do. This element of uncertainly we hope, will add to the immersive experience and create the need for awareness and to explore the character's immediate surroundings - "Hmm... I wonder if there is anything I can do with that rock".

With such a design, much of the objects that are found within the game are not just for looks and although they may not directly affect game play, each have a purpose. Collectively, we are certain they will assist in achieving to create the world we set out to create - providing players with the necessary environment and letting players themselves fill and make their own recollections of their journey and adventure.

All keys with the exception of a few preset keys, will be made customizable for you to map to your preferences (PC & Mac only).

Multiplayer

Friend invite (like Borderland)
Co-op mission with friends
Random encounter with other players within the game.

mYpEvNZ.jpg

More at the link.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Another update:

Dynamic movement

All non-combat animations whether controlled or not will also be smooth and dynamic with all the usual movements - walk, run, sneak, climb, slide, jump, dive, sit etc. There will be natural motion blending between character animation sets.

8INj7dg.gif

This all blends in and becomes pretty much a part of the overall art and design concept.

LVF0aP1.gif

Combat Mechanics

Slash and blast through enemies with swords, guns and steampunky gears in a responsive combat system that will be easy to learn and difficult to master.

M7HXJD0.gif

y4vylaD.gif

4eo3EzC.gif

EZat5bw.gif

DSBYgcL.gif

SeoYelJ.gif

The fact that they show a lot of gameplay in the videos and then the GIFs to show off combat and other aspects looks like clips from animation video or something and not remotely close to gameplay, is just concerning to me

Damerman

Reminds me of Windwaker.

yeah it reminded me of this. Except this trailer has a sense of wonderment i haven't felt since seeing a trailer for a Pixar movie or jak and daxter.

I love this creativity so much, the guns, the victorian era looking old man, the dragon, the goblins...

I would back this, but i'm broke right now.

CrisKre

Quite possibly some of the most beautiful gaming footage I´ve ever seen. Please be good.

Any word on console release for this? Is it at all possible given the graphics?

pcostabel

Gold Member
Quite possibly some of the most beautiful gaming footage I´ve ever seen. Please be good.

Any word on console release for this? Is it at all possible given the graphics?

From the FAQ:

Platform Availability:

Little Devil Inside will be available for PC, Linux and Mac. However we are eager to try and get the game onto consoles as well. As developers, and this being our first title, it is our hope to make the game available to reach as many gamers as possible.
What platforms will Little Devil Inside be available for?

Windows PC, Mac and Linux definitely. Other target platforms are Xbox One and PS4.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Indies starting to move toward creating some amazing looking 3D games makes me so happy. Not to discredit 2D, but still.

This looks super cool :)

Edit: Oh, another case of a KS potentially overselling an idea? Bah :(

Dascu

The fact that they show a lot of gameplay in the videos and then the GIFs to show off combat and other aspects looks like clips from animation video or something and not remotely close to gameplay, is just concerning to me

It looks "too good to be true", in the sense that it looks more like a competent CG/animation studio footage reel.

MaLDo

Footage looks incredible BUT ... Unity engine. I said "No to Unity" weeks ago because lots of problems with every Unity game.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Interview with the developer:

https://techraptor.net/content/indie-interview-john-choi-little-devil-inside

TechRaptor: Tell us a little about yourself and your game Little Devil Inside.
John: Neostream originated back in 1998 as a multimedia company producing various multimedia content for a vast array of clients worldwide but our passion has always been in games.
Although we have experimented with several game concepts in the past, it was always difficult to really focus and drive all our energy into game development whilst catering to daily business which in itself was no small task – at one stage running two studios in two different countries.
So in the end, our hearts got the better of us and so we decided to go all in resulting in what is becoming Little Devil Inside. Little Devil Inside is a survival action RPG set in an unrealistic world with realistic environments, interactions and emotions.

TR: What makes Little Devil Inside different from all the other indie games on the market at the moment?
John: Although we are a new face to the indie scene, we didn’t want to limit ourselves with what we wanted to create – being, something unique. We believe that there are many great indie games out there that are also original and unique and each has its own strength and appeal that is hard to pinpoint.
To try and describe what we think makes the game different is perhaps give you an insight on what influenced the creation of the game.
As gamers ourselves, we have grown through with pretty much the entire video game era beginning from the early 8-bit days when there was little or nothing to go on except for a little cover art before making a purchase decision. The cover art often just had characters and the world at a glance, but somehow encouraged the gamer to picture the game in their imagination.
This nostalgic essence is what we wanted to create with Little Devil Inside by using what was just required of the technology available today hence our main design concept – minimalism.

More at the link.

Sheeesh... this looks really good but maybe... TOO good to be true :/
I kinda hope this get funded, but 30 dollars is too much for me to participate :/

post-43417-star-trek-red-shirt-mind-blown-reDv.gif

WOW. The cloth physics is incredible. And the look, it's just stunning. Combat while driving has always been bad-to-serviceable but here it looks like fun probably thanks to the lock-on. That second clip, love the hit reactions, dismemberment, and switching from gun to sword. I love that the enemies run away after a particularly gruesome kill! Thanks for sharing.

Stampy

It's sad to see that this kickstarter had such bad feeling at the begining, probably hurt it more than needed. If only they were active with updates and Q&A from the start.

Acrylic7

This right here. Red flags in every direction and that's just from the youtube video.
I'm surprised no one of the first page took notice to how iffy everything looked.

Paradicia

Why are people so iffed about this games legitimacy? DayZ looks more unfinished than this. They only have a 100 grand budget so far. Games with far higher budgets have yet to be finished.

Nzyme32

Why are people so iffed about this games legitimacy? DayZ looks more unfinished than this. They only have a 100 grand budget so far. Games with far higher budgets have yet to be finished yet.

It's original Greenlight and Kickstarter made it seem very sketchy, with next to no information outside of brief blurb for the game

Now their Kickstarter has been updated with more info, and they are providing other videos that give it more legitimacy - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ldi/little-devil-inside?ref=nav_search

I would fund this game If I wasn't a broke college student. I'd genuinely feel sorry if this never sees the light of day.
Apparently, it will still get made but just take much longer and with possibly less features. They will work with publishers and platforms.

igB6B7gZkhOzq.png

Big Nikus

How come I had never seen anything about this game until a friend sent me a link to a video 20 minutes ago ? Did a search on GAF and sad to see that there's only a three pages thread, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested but just haven't heard of it. Backing now, but it won't do much of a difference :(

MRORANGE

Decided to back it, with the latest updates it gives me a bit of confidence that there is going to be a final product, although I expect it to be hugely delayed.

Top Bottom