• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 1/2/3/Portable/Vita/Karting online services shutting down in Japan

Aizo

Banned
So co-op will be completely dead for vita in Japan?? My best friend and I are in the last level but live on opposite sides of Japan right now. Fuckkkkkk

I've seen enough Media Create threads to know that MediaMolecule are chart poison in Japan. Still, it really sucks that the Japanese won't be able to access one of the biggest LBP features (playing community levels) anymore.

LittleBigPlanet was my first PlayStation 3 game. Sad to hear this and with two of the entries following in NA I feel like it's only a short period of time before the others close just the same.

I forgot all about LittleBigPlanet Karting. How is that game?

spectator

There's nothing to figure out, servers a real, physical objects that cost money to maintain. If the money just isn't their to keep it running them you shut it down and move it too another game. This is 100% a publisher thing and devs have no control over it.

"The money", however, should be there (at least for LBP3), because we pay for PS+.

fernoca

I liked it. Really good. That and ModNation were games I would've liked sold more so that a PS4 sequel was a guarantee. Stunnng and fun racers, with tons of customizations and options to even create your own tracks.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I bad for everyone that heavily invested in dlc.

I have so much LBP DLC.

Jack-Black-Forces-A-Smile-In-Nacho-Libre-Gif.gif

cO614R.gif

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
LittleBigPlanet was my first PlayStation 3 game. Sad to hear this and with two of the entries following in NA I feel like it's only a short period of time before the others close just the same.
It really does feel like the beginning of the end. Slowly but surely.

yooo dat avatar tho

Tapejara

I found Karting to be a lot fun, but I never dabbled with the online portion much. Be aware that if you do plan on starting Karting the online has had its share of issues for a while now. Sony removed the online pass from the PS Store, which is preventing some people from connecting.

Dremark

Banned
Are they killing this off? Honestly this is a terrible idea, people love these games and by killing the servers the games are effectively dead too.

Fishlake

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Level sharing is what keeps this game franchise fun.

Dreams save me.

It's pretty bizarre that they couldn't at least leave the latest one online. I'd get Kart, portable, and maybe 1 and 2, but 3 came out like 2 years ago, no?

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come in NA, but unfortunately, selling LBP3 for $3 (PS3) and $6 (PS4) on PSN pretty much cements Sony's feeling on the franchise's worth at present.

Don't worry, Sony will reboot the series in 5 years with a Father-Son Sack adventure and turn it into a 3rd person brawler.

End of an era, Japan levels were amazing back in LBP2.
LBP was one of the major reasons I even bought a PS3 in the first place all those years ago. I really hate to see this franchise go.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BTW, Sony has LBP Portable scheduled to be shut down on July 31st and Karting to be shut down on August 31st in NA/EU regions.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/gameservers/

https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/games/littlebigplanet-karting-ps3/

Wow.

Guess I need to check the achievements for Portable and Karting for the online stuff. AFAIK I need to only get the 20 Dive Ins on Karting and maybe the community building stuff. I think I have all the Portable stuff besides the 4 player win trophy. If anyone wants to help with that, PM me?

Edit: Oh, Portable, not Portable 2. Well... still applies.

Welp, guess I'll never 100%/Plat the series then.

I only 100%'d the first one.

If you do the community/online stuff you can completely 100% the game still.

idolminds

Neo Member
I wish developers were a little more forward thinking. It's great that they have servers to easily share user made content, but we know that never lasts forever. So let people save content locally and be able to transfer it with USB. Not as convenient but fan sites could spring up and continue to share stuff even after the official servers go offline. Instead here we are with a lot of creative levels simply disappearing forever and the games are essentially dead.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I have a white, fat PS3 that I originally bought in Japan. It was bundled with LBP, so that was the first PS3 game I played. This news bums me out. So many good Japanese levels.

spectator

I wish developers were a little more forward thinking. It's great that they have servers to easily share user made content, but we know that never lasts forever. So let people save content locally and be able to transfer it with USB. Not as convenient but fan sites could spring up and continue to share stuff even after the official servers go offline. Instead here we are with a lot of creative levels simply disappearing forever and the games are essentially dead.

That reminds me of the PS1 days. I used to be on a mailing list for Carnage Heart players and we'd send each other memory cards in the mail to exchange builds.

"The money", however, should be there (at least for LBP3), because we pay for PS+.

Well there are a lot of games. Just because you pay doesn't mean the money for the extra servers are their. They have a finite amount that they can afford and if a game is barely used then they can be better served on games that really need the space.

Guess I'm sorta glad I never got that into LBP. Shame on Sony for shutting down online for a two year old game though. What are people paying PS+ for?

zulux21

They should allow you to download the levels that you want.

this is kind of my thoughts.

you already download data from a server to build a level, it shouldn't be horribly complicated to implement a way to keep those on your system as well as a way to navigate them.

or alternatively a way to download levels from the internet and then load them into LBP.

but since the servers are shutting down so soon it seems unlikely they will do the cool move and put time and resources into the effort to do this.

Kolx

It's really shitty of Sony to shut down a 2 years old game. Since westren shutdown is probably near as well, can't they at least keep the best 10000 levels (rated/popular)?

spectator

Well there are a lot of games. Just because you pay doesn't mean the money for the extra servers are their. They have a finite amount that they can afford and if a game is barely used then they can be better served on games that really need the space.

A game of such recent vintage that is so focused on and reliant upon online services ought to be given a pretty high priority, regardless of player population. This is the heart of the game and its biggest selling point- server support should be considered a part of the development cost for this kind of title. I don't know how much time should be a minimum standard, but it's more than this.

Sez

A real shame.

There should be a movement to force publishers let individuals to run their own servers once the official ones are closed, I don't understand why they dont allow this.

Vashetti

Banned
Think I will try and get Karting's trophies before the servers go down.

I think we'll start seeing this a lot more with Sony's PS3 exclusives. I'm surprised the servers for the Uncharted games and inFamous 2 & Festival of Blood are still up.

spectator

I don't understand why servers for individual games still need to be "shut down" in 2016, anyway. Shouldn't all of these individual games' servers be running as virtual-machine instances together on the same hardware? That way, if there's no demand for an individual title, it doesn't run and, effectively, shuts itself down, using no resources until the next time it's requested. I'm not a networking expert, but it seems to me like this kind of system shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Tapejara

Think I will try and get Karting's trophies before the servers go down.

I think we'll start seeing this a lot more with Sony's PS3 exclusives. I'm surprised the servers for the Uncharted games and inFamous 2 & Festival of Blood are still up.

My thought/hope has always been that those game's servers are still up because of PlayStation Now.

Wasn't one of the big deals with LBP 3 was that all of the courses would continue to work?! It's disgusting that a game with such a a huge community focus for years with tons of DLC servers would be shut down like this.

Sony's doing great and this is what they do? Considering PS Plus you would think they could keep this up.

Also how does this instill confidence in creating stuff for Dreams?

Maybe they should do what Mario Maker does and just delete unpopular and low-rated stuff?

It's crazy considering Sackboy was really like a Mascot for Sony. There were a ton of figures produced of him and I still see them in Toys R Us.

First Infinity and now this. It's a bad time for creating stuff with games.

I don't understand why servers for individual games still need to be "shut down" in 2016, anyway. Shouldn't all of these individual games' servers be running as virtual-machine instances together on the same hardware? That way, if there's no demand for an individual title, it doesn't run and, effectively, shuts itself down, using no resources until the next time it's requested.

Servers =/= servers.

In case of dedicated servers virtualization happens sometimes. But often it's ignored due to performance losses.

In case of matchmaking servers it's typical to have a per-platform matchmaking servers since generation 7 with obvious exception of Sony platforms. This did not save Wii or DS though, at some point GameSpy disabled the platform servers which is a whole different tale.

LBP's biggest draw are content storage servers, in case of which virtualization hardly matters, it's all about storage, so the cost saving comes from "erasing" all the content.

spectator

LBP's biggest draw are content storage servers, in case of which virtualization hardly matters, it's all about storage, so the cost saving comes from "erasing" all the content.

Good point. In this case, something similar to Nintendo's approach with Super Mario Maker really would be preferable to an outright discontinuation.

Top Bottom