• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Shutting Down a Few Game Servers (Sports Champions/Modnation Vita/Kill Strain)

It sucks that a core component of a game can be ripped away and as you said we're paying for online. I was super bummed when Devil's Third went offline, I loved the multiplayer. It's like games can expire.

This current trend in gaming is why I never buy games at full price anymore. Especially from the online store.

You pay for the game, you then pay for PS+ (allowing you to play online).

Then a few years later, they just snatch portions (you paid for) away. There's nothing stopping these corps from just revoking your console access to content you paid for at any time.

People will argue, it's cause servers cost money. But surely that's dependent on the load of the server? Someone correct me, I'm probably wrong here.

This current trend in gaming is why I never buy games at full price anymore. Especially from the online store.

You pay for the game, you then pay for PS+ (allowing you to play online).

Then a few years later, they just snatch portions (you paid for) away. There's nothing stopping these corps from just revoking your console access to content you paid for at any time.

People will argue, it's cause servers cost money. But surely that's dependent on the load of the server? Someone correct me, I'm probably wrong here.

It's why I'm glad Drawn to Death was a PS+ game because I'm always hesitant buying a game that's online-only.

Also, wanna repeat my question from earlier: can someone familiar with Kill Strain help me out on what went wrong? Was it that it didn't review well, or was there more in its development that made it look like a bomb?

Have to keep an active server listening for matchmaking players. And they can now stop supporting the game in other ways too like for refunds and customer service with issues about the game.

It's why I'm glad Drawn to Death was a PS+ game because I'm always hesitant buying a game that's online-only.

Also, wanna repeat my question from earlier: can someone familiar with Kill Strain help me out on what went wrong? Was it that it didn't review well, or was there more in its development that made it look like a bomb?
Reviewed really poorly and I think it shipped with a single map, so even the ones who did play it weren't given much of an incentive to stick around.

Donos

How does LBP Karting factor into this?

Modnation came first and most agreed that art was bad and would have been better with Sackboy.

LBP Karting was to little to late and had also technical problems I think. (haven't played lbp Karting but Modnation)

BigEmil

I did say Sony San Diego might be on the studio closure list at some point and was very unpopular for saying so but are they really making enough money to support the business?
MLB The Show makes money, i imagine the studio will get some layoffs with less people only working on MLB the Show now on

I did say Sony San Diego might be on the studio closure list at some point and was very unpopular for saying so but are they really making enough money to support the business?

A cheap F2P game doesn't do well and they're on the chopping block, despite MLB The Show making the charts year after year.

This mindset of closure speculation is getting tiresome.

EDIT: I know this comes off as snarky, but you just happened to be the last comment I saw mentioning this. Sorry. =P

It's a moba, all moba's have one map. It's just a really bad moba.

Shows how much I pay attention. xD~~

Wow I need to play Kill Strain soon. Do people still play it?

I thought by shutting down few Game Servers that only few servers will not be avaialble but the entire online modes for those games?

Why do they do that?

BigEmil

Wow I need to play Kill Strain soon. Do people still play it?

I thought by shutting down few Game Servers that only few servers will not be avaialble but the entire online modes for those games?

Why do they do that?
No one plays it because it's a really terrible game, how did this get greenlit.

Experien

Kill Strain was also very unforgiving to new players. I played the beta and barely understood what was going on and how powers worked.

Circinus

MLB The Show makes money, i imagine the studio will get some layoffs with less people only working on MLB the Show now on

Pretty sure I read a thread here not too long ago that said they laid off the people that worked on Kill Strain and other games that aren't MLB The Show. Basically they're probably only doing MLB The Show going forward (though they did just publish a PSVR game Starblood Arena a couple of weeks ago).

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278679

So even paying for PS+ being a requirement for online play doesn't guarantee titles won't be deactivated on ps4.

Awesome. I've got no interest in Kill strain at all, but that's a poor precedent to set, even if the playerbase is low. Is there a different reason that they're doing this?

It's hardly a precedent set by Sony. unfortunately this happens.

Jawmuncher

Kill Strain was destined to fail sadly. I still remember the E3 where they had to beg for claps since the audience was unimpressed.

Man, Kill Strain must have been a massive bomb. Not surprised they're shutting it down as really no-one seemed to give a shit. Hope the dev studio is secure though.

Gaminar

Banned
Dear Devs,

No matter where you are and who you are. DO NOT PUT MP TROPHIES TOGETHER WITH SP TO ACHIEVE PLATINUM.

If you're going to do it... Then Mass Effect is your best example.

Burnout Paradise is still working after almost closing in on a decade.

MaDKaT

You would think they would have ported Sports Championship to PS4 with heavy emphasis of VR support and kept it going.

Ridley327

Kill Strain always struck me as one of the more cynical Sony titles, like they HAD to have some kind of stake in the MOBA game because they were "in" and very popular on Twitch. The only hook it ever had was resembling more of a twin stick shooter, but why bother when there's at least a dozen twin stick shooters out there that aren't tied to f2p practices?

opricnik

Banned
Modnation came first and most agreed that art was bad and would have been better with Sackboy.

LBP Karting was to little to late and had also technical problems I think. (haven't played lbp Karting but Modnation)

Both played like garbage on PS3. Technical and gameplay standpoint. Both had terrible art design. terrible track design. terrible music. drifting and racing isnt fun on those games imo.

Sonic game was better in every regards

OldMuffin

Shame that kill strain is shutting down, but I hope this leads Sony to allow the San Diego studio to work on something that is not some sort of free to play game or baseball. Maybe get them to work on a long forgotten ip like midevil or something, I mean I'm sure the studio is making enough money with MLB to justify taking on a risk or two.

Top Bottom