• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 1/2/3/Portable/Vita/Karting online services shutting down in Japan

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if people were playing it still they wouldnt do it. i have no love for the series, but this one seems ultra sensitive to shutting down since a large part of its appeal was content creation/sharing.

this game would probably have done a lot better if it were PC-based just due to the genre.

If Dreams is based on the same idea of content creation and sharing, moves like this would put me off ever going near it.

At least Dreams seems like you might be able to actually export levels so people could just post them to fansites and stuff.

meanspartan

There's nothing to figure out, servers a real, physical objects that cost money to maintain. If the money just isn't their to keep it running them you shut it down and move it too another game. This is 100% a publisher thing and devs have no control over it.

Fine. But then no suing fans who start up their own servers to keep it alive.

Iacobellis

Man... This was one of the franchises that really made PlayStation what it is. LBP3 seemed like it was kind of rushed to market, announced just months before release with little advertising, so it's not all that surprising to me.

Such a shame regardless, online functionality is like 75% of what the franchise has been about.

Sintoid

A little too early for LBP3 imho, I hope this won't happen in Europe too.
This is an end of an era to me, I loved every LBP game (except for Karting wich is horrible) and I will miss this franchise a lot

sackninja

How many times do I have to say lbp3 sold less than like 10000 copies in Japan. They are shutting down the games nobody is playing. This doesn't mean lbp 1,2,3 and vita are going to shut down in the west.

Apdiddy

I guess that means I need to go ahead and do as much as I can for the online trophies on LBP series before they are all shut down. I finished the online portion for LBP Karting this past weekend and working on LBP Vita.

Lesson learned: When buying a game that has online components and trophies/achievements tied to them, get them done asap. They won't stay up forever.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I finished the online portion for LBP Karting this past weekend

How!? I've done like 100 levels according to LBPK.me and no pop. Same with online wins. It's fucking infuriating to have the stats say I should have those but they don't. Double so since there is no "pin" system like LBP2 to where you can check the individual stats for the achievements.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yuck, all that time wasted on oh well, I lived the franchise, but it always felt a step away from greatness.

Gotta get on matting quick soon to wrap up the plat.

Vashetti

Banned
LBP Vita is also safe outside Japan

bwHCkhu.png

So all we are losing is Karting at the end of next month, and Portable this month.

Just to reiterate a couple things previously mentioned our LBP Community manager previously in this thread, here's a couple of his posts on LBPCentral regarding the Japanese service shutdown: http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sh...hutting-Down&p=1227105&viewfull=1#post1227105

Just to clarify a couple of things...

Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (SIEJA) are shutting down their online services for the LittleBigPlanet titles on July 31st.

This shut down will only affect players that are playing LittleBigPlanet using a Japanese version of the game.

The rest of the world will be unaffected by this and the LittleBigPlanet servers will continue to operate normally for the rest of the LittleBigPlanet player base.

The LittleBigPlanet servers are not affected by this.
They are global and service all players across the world.

What is being shut down by Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (SIEJA) are their online services for the LittleBigPlanet series.

This includes but is not limited to...

Update/Patch Distribution, Moderation, Localisation, Testing, Marketing, PS Store Support, Customer Service Support, etc... For players within their region and only their region.

Whilst the LittleBigPlanet servers will continue to be live; without Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia (SIEJA) Online Services providing such things as the necessary update distribution, localisation, testing, etc... that are required for LittleBigPlanet to run effectively.

It would very shortly reach a point where the LittleBigPlanet servers would be unable to continue to support SIEJA players because they would not be kept up-to-date with the rest of the world.

This is why the LittleBigPlanet server and the rest of the world will be unaffected because those services will continue to be supported within those regions.

LBP in other regions is still going strong. LBP Japanese services shutdown are a SIE Japan decision and does not affect other regions. Also, you'll still be able to access levels made by the Japanese players even after the service shutdown.

TheSeks

Just to reiterate a couple things previously mentioned our LBP Community manager previously in this thread, here's a couple of his posts on LBPCentral regarding the Japanese service shutdown: http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sh...hutting-Down&p=1227105&viewfull=1#post1227105

LBP in other regions is still going strong. LBP Japanese services shutdown are a SIE Japan decision and does not affect other regions. Also, you'll still be able to access levels made by the Japanese players even after the service shutdown.

But LittleBigKarting is still going down in the west, right?

Also could you check with United Front on the trophies stats on LBPK.me? Because me and a few other people have been spending literally 6+ hours over the weekend trying to get each other to connect in-game and get wins for the online champ AND 100 plays, and the stats say we have 30+ wins online and/or 100+ wins online and still no achievement unlock. It's really bizarre and apparently a known issue since the game launched.

Syntsui

Surely the amount of players don't justify keeping the servers up. It's still sad though, it's basically a nail in the coffin for the game.

Aki-at

Thing is a lot of the cool levels I've played in LBP are from Japanese content creators. Surely this is going to have an effect on the standard of the community scene :/

Shame but still hoping the series continues to be supported globally... still a bit worrying even after reassurances.

But LittleBigKarting is still going down in the west, right?

Also could you check with United Front on the trophies stats on LBPK.me? Because me and a few other people have been spending literally 6+ hours over the weekend trying to get each other to connect in-game and get wins for the online champ AND 100 plays, and the stats say we have 30+ wins online and/or 100+ wins online and still no achievement unlock. It's really bizarre and apparently a known issue since the game launched.

Yeah, it's still going down. :( I'll check with the team and see what can be done about the stats.

Thing is a lot of the cool levels I've played in LBP are from Japanese content creators. Surely this is going to have an effect on the standard of the community scene :/

Shame but still hoping the series continues to be supported globally... still a bit worrying even after reassurances.

Don't worry. ^^

TheSeks

Yeah, it's still going down. :( I'll check with the team and see what can be done about the stats.

Well, got 25 wins finally. Now that leaves grinding (and having the servers count) 100 levels. Ugh. At least on the bright side, if it's counted 25 that means 75 (or less!) now. >_>

This is what I'm talking about though:

gZycZAt.png

Utterly ridiculous the stats (NEVER) stated the correct amount for the achievements. Ever. Not even on launch.

pikablu

Ive been playing a lot of LBPK lately. I just bought it like 2 weeks ago. Anyone wanna try and get to gether a bunch of people for a last harah?

What are the best levels to check out. Any cool neogaf created levels?

hymanator

Ive been playing a lot of LBPK lately. I just bought it like 2 weeks ago. Anyone wanna try and get to gether a bunch of people for a last harah?

What are the best levels to check out. Any cool neogaf created levels?

I am a bit sad to see the servers for LBP psp and LBP Karting go. Here are a couple of things I made for both:

Pet Sackboy Kitchen Race
data.jpg

video: https://youtu.be/PGWWk6Dpxu0

Pet Sackboy
hqdefault.jpg

video: https://youtu.be/OoO2PrDDrDU

FoxSpirit

This is such terrible bullshit. It costs a farthing keeping a small number of servers alive. Too few users? Okay, so you basically need 0 servers. And aren't most of those games not even server hosted but P2P? Because then it make 0 sense in server terms despite not caring as a company.

TheSeks

And aren't most of those games not even server hosted but P2P?

Er-Do you know how LBP works?

Yes the online is P2P, insofar as actual gameplay is concerned. But the matchmaking and levels ARE hosted on dedicated servers. Those are what are shutting down. Thereby the P2P won't be able to find matches because it can't query the dedicated server base to see the levels that have players in them.

Wow that sucks. The Japanese playerbase made some of the coolest, most creative levels out there.

Sony let the whole LBP franchise die by not making community moderators. There were just too many spam levels. Not to mention learning how to really use create mode took hours of messing around.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Vashetti

Banned
Only 3 days left for the Karting servers folks

Would appreciate if people could play my level just to get it to the required 10 players for the trophy

It literally takes seconds to finish, it's one of those that everyone's copied just for trophy requirements

PSN ID: Vashetti

level is called '1 sec copyable + 10 plays'

Thanks!

Vashetti

Banned
I also need two more people to play my level in LBP Karting. Search for my PSN ID poodude and play the level "One second Online champ"

Alternatively you can add the level to your queue through the LBPK website. https://karting.lbp.me/v/11fz6 <---- Sony hasn't renewed the website's security certificate, presumably because of the server shutdown, so you might get a warning message.

Just played it :)

Nev

Banned
PS+ price increase revenue being put to work already... Oh wait.

Shutting down the service of a PS4 game from 2014, as well as games that completely rely on online and are still alive (LBP2 at least). It's also one of Sony's most iconic series currently and a lot of people actually like and play it. They just don't give a shit about their IPs either.

#4theplayers.

netguy503

Shutting down the service of a PS4 game from 2014, as well as games that completely rely on online and are still alive (LBP2 at least). It's also one of Sony's most iconic series currently and a lot of people actually like and play it. They just don't give a shit about their IPs either.

#4theplayers.

I agree with this sadly.

sackninja

#4theplayers.

It's only bloody japan. How many times do I have to say this, no one plays lbp in japan at least not anymore. Lbp3 sold less than 1000 copies in japan.

OldMan

Banned
How much money do they save by shutting down the servers or is it just a push of a button on some Sony HQ computer?

Layth

I always enjoyed the LBP franchise and I feel Sony kinda let it die.

I love LBP too. I enjoyed Sony's short lived "Play. Create. Share." initiative. Were there any games under this besides LBP and Modnation Racers?

I'd be up for a PS4 sequel to Modnation Racers, maybe this time allow creators to make different types of racing games. How did LBP3 do sales wise compared to the other 2?

#4theplayers.

No. We are talking about Japan here.

LittleBigPlanet 3 entered at rank #33 on PS4 and #49 on PS3, back in December 2014. This is so low that we don't even have a number from Media Create or Famitsu. LittleBigPlanet was never alive in Japan.

BigEmil

Oh and, as a matter of fact, in the West Sony and Sumo Digital just gave LittleBigPlanet 3 a major UI update and new content this month, even thouh the game seems barely active. But curiously no thread was created, as it seems more fun to bump this one.

What does it have to do with the closure of LBP ?
Oh sweet! Never heard of this and they even brought back the 'Dive In' feature and other nice changes and additions that's cool :)

Only 3 days left for the Karting servers folks

Would appreciate if people could play my level just to get it to the required 10 players for the trophy

It literally takes seconds to finish, it's one of those that everyone's copied just for trophy requirements

PSN ID: Vashetti

level is called '1 sec copyable + 10 plays'

Thanks!

Wow, can't imagine being a trophy/achievement collector, and then you have this happen and you lose any hope of getting all trophies due to a server shutdown. :( Especially if you started said game already and put if off for so long or even sold it already.

Top Bottom