• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 reviews

coastel

Fuck another game I want to buy really enjoyed the first game. Going to get gta5 today though so ill get this soony. So much for has no gamez.

EGM1966

It's almost as if they were reviewed by different people who have different opinions.
And editorial control is used to balance and guide that and align obvious discrepancies: something IGN clearly lacks.

Not that it matters, IGN clearly lean to review bias towards their readership. They score mostly in line with their view of what their readers are interested in. MCC big hit, readers love it, 9 and ignore docking points for the bugs. LBP3? Kiddie game with low interest so knock the bugs and score it down.

It's the lack of editorial consistency that's the issues; opinions aside if they're going to dock points for bugs as site policy as they have erg LBP3 then whatever the individual reviewer does editorial steps in as needed and knocks MCC down a point or two for consistency.

Or alternatively if they're going to ignore bugs as they clearly did with MCC then editorial review should have adjusted review and bumped LBP3 score up a point or two.

IGN isn't some individual blog, opinions or not each review should be conducted according to site policy on standards for evaluation and scoring. Guess they don't have any though.

SSReborn

I agree. It has less to do with the game quality itself, but more to do with how excited the reviewer was when playing the game.

When the IP is no longer interesting to them, it's really hard to grab their attention. Reviewers are human, they are affected by hype (or no hype). Microsoft did a ton to market Halo and Sunset. Sony did nothing about LPB. Many people don't even know a new LPB is coming out.
This is exactly the problem with reviews.

Myggen

And editorial control is used to balance and guide that and align obvious discrepancies: something IGN clearly lacks.

Not that it matters, IGN clearly lean to review bias towards their readership. They score mostly in line with their view of what their readers are interested in. MCC big hit, readers love it, 9 and ignore docking points for the bugs. LBP3? Kiddie game with low interest so knock the bugs and score it down.

It's the lack of editorial consistency that's the issues; opinions aside if they're going to dock points for bugs as site policy as they have erg LBP3 then whatever the individual reviewer does editorial steps in as needed and knocks MCC down a point or two for consistency.

Or alternatively if they're going to ignore bugs as they clearly did with MCC then editorial review should have adjusted review and bumped LBP3 score up a point or two.

IGN isn't some individual blog, opinions or not each review should be conducted according to site policy on standards for evaluation and scoring. Guess they don't have any though.

Citation needed.

RedStep

I'm just not sure what good day one reviews are any more. It's like they are building up reviews to the point of insanity. Film and music.... Not even film and music addicts dote on and damn a medium's worth over reviews. No other industry I know of seems to react the same way. Make of that what you will. I know Rotten Tomatoes, MetaCritic, etc. do influence other mediums but I don't think to the same degree as games being crucified in the press like this. When a bad movie is made people generally don't seem so uproarious, except when something totally blows like a certain Ridley Scott film. At least this gen it seems like everything is being blown out of proportion one way or the other. Every review seems to want to attract the most clicks and forum discussion.

That being said was a 6.8 really necessary for a game like this? Really? Difference of that and 7 being? Clicks?

But at this point Xbox is doing something behind the scenes.

You're complaining about a problem that you're furthering. Movies/music/whatever aren't this way because their audience doesn't freak out about reviews. Horror sites don't flip out over a horror movie getting bad reviews - if they like it they'll score it high, the fans will go see it if they're interested.

You're confusing a review being written to incite forum wars with the audience not being able to control themselves and take the good with the bad. You've already made accusations of a MS conspiracy in this very thread, because one site gave a game you expect to like a 6.8/10 rating. Movie fans don't tend do that kind of stuff, but we can count on it with games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I agree. It has less to do with the game quality itself, but more to do with how excited the reviewer was when playing the game.

When the IP is no longer interesting to them, it's really hard to grab their attention. Reviewers are human, they are affected by hype (or no hype). Microsoft did a ton to market Halo and Sunset. Sony did nothing about LPB. Many people don't even know a new LPB is coming out.

This is really bad for reviews. Review score having more to do with marketing than the quality of the product... it sounds really bad :/.

KiraXD

i like how polygons review knocked it down because it felt like its "campaign" levels were lacking... LOL!

And this entry was introduced at E3 with a lengthy level demonstration with all four heroes working together.

That kind of teamwork with all four characters is nonexistent at worst and annoyingly buried at best.

All of the mainline story missions stick to one character. You can bring in other players, but they'll simply take on a copy of the specific character that level is based around (albeit with their own chosen costume pieces to help differentiate them).

and heres the kicker:

Perhaps Sumo Digital hopes that content shortage will be fixed by the community itself.

Fucking seriously? who here bought any LBP to play the vanilla "main story" levels?

anyone?

The whole POINT is that the community are the ones who provide the epic levels. We dont care about the pre-loaded "tutorial levels." its absolutely absurd.

"...CONTENT SHORTAGE?" is this dude for real?!

i like how polygons review knocked it down because it felt like its "campaign" levels were lacking... LOL!

and heres the kicker:

Fucking seriously? who here bought any LBP to play the vanilla "main story" levels?

anyone?

The whole POINT is that the community are the ones who provide the epic levels. We dont care about the pre-loaded "tutorial levels." its absolutely absurd.

A game launching with 8 million levels is short on content lol. Polygon can take their review and shove it up their word processing software and rewrite it :).

Hanmik

that IGN review...

I review games for a small European site...

We just recieved a mail from the PR department.. Telling us about the importance of playing the game with the Patches installed..

;o)

oti

Banned
How I'd review LBP games:

The jump sucks: Don't play
The jump is OK: Play

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of the series but happy to see the developers delivered another great game. I just can't deal with that jump though.

Must be a new thing they're doing, huh?

qqPIjgr.jpg

Dizzy

Banned
Another rushed game this year. I'd like to buy it but I'm gonna hold off and see if they patch most of the bugs out first.

NEO0MJ

it was a little unclear. i guess recent or even 2014 makes sense.

shovel knight for the 3ds would also fit the bill.

There's also Velocity 2X on the Vita. Though it is kinda funny how almost no new console game got over a 9 this year. When was the last time this happened?

Osahi

How I'd review LBP games:

The jump sucks: Don't play
The jump is OK: Play

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of the series but happy to see the developers delivered another great game. I just can't deal with that jump though.

They adatped the leveldesign to the floaty jump since 2. No need for precise controls anymore (allthough there are some tough moments at the very end). The other characters are less floaty btw. Allthough it is still a physics based platformer, where some floatiness exists.

I just can't wait for the great stuff the community will create. Allready played some excelent levels that sprung from the beta

When will media molecule turn this into a true platformer (mario, donkey kong, etc.)? Puppeteer was almost that except it included the floaty controls from LBP. They have an incredible mascot on their hands and are really dropping the ball in terms of what it is they can do with the franchise. Imagine if Nintendo had this mascot. It would be insane.

When will media molecule turn this into a true platformer (mario, donkey kong, etc.)? Puppeteer was almost that except it included the floaty controls from LBP. They have an incredible mascot on their hands and are really dropping the ball in terms of what it is they can do with the franchise. Imagine if Nintendo had this mascot. It would be insane.
Lbp is perfectly fine the way it is.

They're a UGC developer.

Their focus is enabling user generated content.

AniHawk

media molecule hasn't touched the series in three years.

EGM1966

Must be a new thing they're doing, huh?

qqPIjgr.jpg

Yup could easily be a new thing and of course I said "mostly" - as in this gen so far and in particular recent reviews show weak editorial control and scores seem to skew to current market hype - i.e. what they think their readers are interested in.

Throwing up a review from ages ago doesn't really change anything - I suspect I could easily find examples of IGN rating popular games highly no matter the number of the sequel and IGN progressively marking down other games for being "more of the same". Which would also prove my point to an extent as its another example of editorial consistency (as in their lack of it).

TBH I don't just blame IGN for this - I find most videogame sites are pretty weak at apply any kind of editorial control of their own stated review policies. It's a common problem and constantly pops up all the outlier reviews that then skew the dreaded Metacritic score.

Do you think that would work? Do you think Sony/MM could compete with literal masters of platforming? They've been honing their development skills for years and years.

SpokkX

and heres the kicker:

anyone?

I only really enjoyef the campaign stuff in lbp1&2... The user made stuff was fun to fool around with but hardly compares to a complete campaign with professionaly made levels.

I really dont care for community made stuff overall though.. I also judge lbo by campaign and therefore they are really average to me

I know I will love this game but man this is the reason why you don't review games before they are officially released. You get patches and the reviews don't play the patched version because they want it out right away :(
They should release a bug free version on the disc in the first place.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I see the clueless reviewer syndrome has hit once again. IGN and Polygon don't know what they're talking about. What did AC:U get? 5/10 for being an absolutely unplayable bug-fest of a game? I don't think these people have missed the point of LBP3, I think they've deliberately avoided taking it into consideration and have reviewed it as if this is were the game starts and finishes when we all know this is just opening the box on Christmas day.

They got it will LBP1/LBP2 but suddenly (with the best game so far by a long way) they mislaid it.

and heres the kicker:

anyone?

Oh man, this here exactly. I mean - I am buying LBP3 because I want to create, share and download user-made content. Not due to the pre-existing campaign, which is more of a tutorial / introduction to the possibilities of the game's creative tools anyway.

If you are not into that, then LBP isn't for you. If you aren't excited about what the community will come up with, this game isn't for you. It's this simple, folks.

I mean - look at Trials Fusion. The dev-made content is good, but some of the user-made tracks are absolutely spectacular. It will be the same with LBP3.

Mailbox

I only really enjoyef the campaign stuff in lbp1&2... The user made stuff was fun to fool around with but hardly compares to a complete campaign with professionaly made levels.

I really dont care for community made stuff overall though.. I also judge lbo by campaign and therefore they are really average to me

Uhhh... most of these levels in the campaign are made from ex-lbp UGC community members who are now hired as game devs. Those guys made levels so amazing they got hired for them.

You have been playing the wrong levels.

I have been trying to be as non-biased as possible. But at this point Xbox is doing something behind the scenes. Both Sunset and Halo getting full passes in many reviews was something I have been curious about, as I think neither game is 9 worthy in its current state. Now LBP getting not even a 7 lol... while 9s are being handed out to a broken Halo game? IDK but after that Eurogamer Driveclub review I just stopped taking these people seriously. It's getting really Hollywood in these reviews.

One is a relatively unambitious sequel to a super iterative Series (it is the fifth LBP game since 2008), and the others not.

And they were reviewed by different people.

Edit: I'm not even an IGN-fan, but the tinfoil hat conspiracies are pretty lame.

Odrion

Banned

Really? Because I see a ton of Little Big Planet 3 commercials.

Percy

Banned
So IGN are now marking games down for having game breaking bugs are they? Funny... can't recall them doing similar with other games this year, and it isn't like they've been short on opportunities, lets face it.

DryvBy

IGN is a troll website. 6.8 for this, but then we look at Unity and Battlefield 4 (which are/were beyond broken) and they score fine.

Who even listens to those guys anymore?

One is a relatively unambitious sequel to a super iterative Series (it is the fifth LBP game since 2008), and the others not.

And they were reviewed by different people.

Edit: I'm not even an IGN-fan, but the tinfoil hat conspiracies are pretty lame.

Relative to what? Probably the most ambitious Next gen title released to date.

Its simply not on. Especially, in the UK at least, they are charging significantly more for this game than most releases this week.

anyone have an answer for this? i'm in the uk also and the prices i've seen for this game have been crazy.
ranging from £48 to around £60, whilst all the other major releases are around £38 to £42.

and heres the kicker:
anyone?

you might not care but i do, i loved lbp1 story levels, the second game not so much but in my opinion they should make plenty of levels themselves for people to play.
the user content is amazing but that's no excuse to make a short or lacking campaign.

meppi

If there's one guy's opinion I trust, it's Jaz Rignall, so this game just went from a "buy when it's a little cheaper" to a day one. :)

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm getting really good vibes about this entry. I loved the Vita version to death and the 3D implementation here caught my attention big time.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
IGN is a troll website. 6.8 for this, but then we look at Unity and Battlefield 4 (which are/were beyond broken) and they score fine.

Who even listens to those guys anymore?

Maybe because they learned that releasing a broken game is a bad thing.

That's a positive change right?

NHale

Considering Sony's lack of interest in marketing this game, I expected the game to be a complete disaster. From seeing the snippets it appears not to be the case.

But without playing the game I can definitely relate to some of the lowest reviews because of franchise fatigue. I played LBP, LBP2 and LBP Vita (my favorite) and liked them but right now I don't feel like playing another LBP game. If I was forced to review it, then that would definitely have an impact on my review. It's human nature after all.

Top Bottom