• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard squad unmasked by another hacker group.

BibiMaghoo

This thread must be full of so many people that behaved perfectly as kids. People that never did something they knew was wrong, and people that never broke a law in their lives.

It must be wonderful to be like that, but I know your secret.

Not a single fucking one of you can claim this

Every kid does things they know are wrong. Every person on this planet makes mistake. Every person on this planet should be accountable for them, just as they should be allowed freedom to make choices again once they have paid for them. Those calling for extreme punishment in the form of life sentences, you have no understanding of the real world at all, and should spend some time reflecting on how utterly absurd and unforgiving your position on punishing children is.

Just read about this. Thank Christ. Has it been confirmed they were caught?

No matter what they are charged with, they will likely be banned from going online or possessing a computer without their probation/parole officer's consent, so that will likely be a death sentence for them. I doubt the feds will let them do anything online without threat of going to prison for 20 years. That means everything from using Facebook to having a Steam account.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This thread must be full of so many people that behaved perfectly as kids. People that never did something they knew was wrong, and people that never broke a law in their lives.

dude..... dude. you can see the difference here, right? Stealing hub caps and swatting someone. or extorting nudies? There is "boys will be boys" and then there is crossing the legal bounds of abuse and harassment.

pixlexic

Banned

Every kid does things they know are wrong. Every person on this planet makes mistake. Every person on this planet should be accountable for them, just as they should be allowed freedom to make choices again once they have paid for them. Those calling for extreme punishment in the form of life sentences, you have no understanding of the real world at all, and should spend some time reflecting on how utterly absurd and unforgiving your position on punishing children is.

Ive never committed a felony. Ever. Neither have my friends or family members.

this isn't some little incident. It effected millions of people and businesses.

This isn't something that calls for a little slap on the wrist. They need to be punished and made an example to deter others from being as dumb.

Nvzman

This isn't something that calls for a little slap on the wrist. They need to be punished and made an example to deter others from being as dumb.
This. I'm the same age as the 16-year olds and I would understand easily never do something like this.
This isn't pissing in a bush, this is real human lives that these kids were fucking with.

TheHall

I think they need to at least be grounded and have their Christmas presents handed over to charity.

Seriously though, i am all for Internet police. Human kind doesn't do well with anonymity.

Handy Fake

It just seems that the people that insist in this points are posters that were called out in this thread.

Almost all people here are, outside some really crazy posters.

I know mate, was tongue in cheek.;)

They certainly shouldn't be let off lightly, but they shouldn't be flayed alive over a basket of live cats either.

DeaviL

Banned
You just can't compare the things you did in "the old days" with stuff done behind a computer today.
Doing harm is easier than ever, and from behind your screen you don't even have to face the consequences.

This is still pretty much kids stuff, enhanced by the ease the computer age introduced.

BibiMaghoo

dude..... dude. you can see the difference here, right? Stealing hub caps and swatting someone. or extorting nudies? There is "boys will be boys" and then there is crossing the legal bounds of abuse and harassment.

Yes, I can see there are orders of magnitude, but a child will misbehave, and a child will do things they know are wrong. Life in prison to any child is fucking abhorrent, because they cannot be held responsible for their actions to the same degree as an adult.

I'm glad you used the term felony there. That arbitrary distinction makes it ok. You have broken some law I assure you, however small. It's illegal in the UK to leave a bag unattended. Go 11% over the speed limit etc. People do this stuff every day, and no it's not comparable to what these people did, but that isn't the point. The point is no one is clean, everyone makes mistakes, and locking children up for life because of it is stupid in the extreme.

This is psychotic.

With prison space becoming more limited the problem is... the society that produces so many prisoners.

Not true.

He is speaking of fundamental human physiology. A 12 year old quite literally does not have a fully functional brain. This isn't exactly Uni level scientific knowledge.

a 12 year old can usually tell when they're doing something wrong. Calling in bomb threats specifically targeting the sony president's aircraft took some planning. Blackmailing women into taking nudes takes a special kind of sick individual. To be able to look at a person and put them below yourselves and violate their rights isn't something a "child" is capable of, Or how about calling the police and posing as an adult saying they are armed and killed their families? Yea because kids can't tell the difference between that being a bad idea or not. These "kids" knew what they were doing and did some of these things multiple times. So lets stop pretending like society is failing them when the only people that failed them were their parents and themselves. The only thing kids at those age lack are experience and the lack of foresight at the possible consequences of their actions. Lets not pretend like their undeveloped minds interfered between right and wrong though. A lot of us were kids before. We did stupid crap too. I know when I was 12 I had stolen somethings a few times. Did I know it was wrong? Yes of course I did but I did it anyways. I also knew what would happened to me if I were to be caught and I was a few times. Heres the thing though. I stole a few times items that were less then 20 bucks in merchandise. Now if I had stolen a few cars there would be a big difference. What these kids did aren't some small time petty things. They committed a federal crime. They violated and sexually assaulted women. They endangered peoples lives. Not all crimes are equal and clearly their crimes are on a much larger scale then stealing a few toys.

janoDX

I'm straight-edge.

Don't drink
Don't smoke
Don't do drugs

I've never did anything that was a felony charge or anything and I can claim it. Do you think every person has done anything wrong?. That's so false from you. I never did some of the stupid laws that exist in UK.

What the "kids" did there with the Lizard Squad was wrong, very wrong it was criminal even if they were just script kiddies, and they shouldn't be near a computer for a long time, not in prison, but they should be prohibited from using a PC.

BibiMaghoo

a 12 year old can usually tell when they're doing something wrong. Calling in bomb threats specifically targeting the sony president's aircraft took some planning. Blackmailing women into taking nudes takes a special kind of sick individual. To be able to look at a person and put them below yourselves and violate their rights isn't something a "child" is capable of, Or how about calling the police and posing as an adult saying they are armed and killed their families? Yea because kids can't tell the difference between that being a bad idea or not. These "kids" knew what they were doing and did some of these things multiple times. So lets stop pretending like society is failing them when the only people that failed them were their parents and themselves.

You assume that 12 year old is thinking about how another person will feel when they do these things. You assume they have a full understanding of the concept of violating a persons rights.

They do not.

I'm straight-edge.

Don't drink
Don't smoke
Don't do drugs

I've never did anything that was a felony charge or anything and I can claim it. Do you think every person has done anything wrong?. That's so false from you. I never did some of the stupid laws that exist in UK.

You never did anything wrong as a child? You never once did anything you knew was wrong? I don't believe a single person alive can say that.

You assume that 12 year old is thinking about how another person will feel when they do these things. You assume they have a full understanding of the concept of violating a persons rights.

They do not.

You never did anything wrong as a child? You never once did anything you knew was wrong? I don't believe a single person alive can say that.

Go read my post again. They're 12 not 5 years old. 12 year olds know when you do something wrong to another person that usually makes them feel bad. They might not understand the extensiveness of their actions but they have an understanding between good and bad. Right and wrong.

I don't know about everyone else here but when I did something wrong as a kid, I was punished accordingly. These kids should be too. I'm not asking for cruel and unusual punishment.

I can safely say that I have never made a bomb threat nor have I blackmailed girls for nude photos.Have you?

Is that why you can sympathize with them? And don't give me that crap about minor bullshit as if it's littering or jay walking or leaving bags unattained, this is different.

BibiMaghoo

I don't know about everyone else here but when I did something wrong as a kid, I was punished accordingly. These kids should be too. I'm not asking for cruel and unusual punishment.

Same here, and no one is suggesting they shouldn't be punished accordingly. Life in prison does not remotely resemble 'accordingly'.

I can safely say that I have never made a bomb threat nor have I blackmailed girls for nude photos.Have you?

Is that why you can sympathize with them? And don't give me that crap about minor bullshit as if it's littering or jay walking or leaving bags unattained, this is different.

Of course I haven't. I don't sympathise with them, they need to be punished, but people need to understand for kids that means something different from if you or I (assuming you are an adult) did the same things, and even then we wouldn't get life in prison for them. The suggestion is incredibly absurd and lacking in any kind of understanding.

Go read my post again. They're 12 not 5 years old. 12 year olds know when you do something wrong to another person that usually makes them feel bad. They might not understand the extensiveness of their actions but they have an understanding between good and bad. Right and wrong.

I have done, and my post stands. You are looking at it from the perspective of an adult, a grown mind that understands the repercussions to another human being. 12 year old children do not do this. They know right from wrong, but they don't weight up the consequences fully, because they cannot comprehend them.

Of course I haven't. I don't sympathise with them, they need to be punished, but people need to understand for kids that means something different from if you or I (assuming you are an adult) did the same things, and even then we wouldn't get life in prison for them. The suggestion is incredibly absurd and lacking in any kind of understanding.

In my books if you think you're a big enough dude to make bomb threats, then you're big enough to accept an adult consequence. Ignorance of consequence is never an excuse.

They would probably not get Life or Death nor am I calling for it, that being said I wouldn't bat an eye if that's how this story had ended.

I came into this thread to talk about what a nerd boner I had for someone shutting down lizard squad and...I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't a discussion on giving 12 year olds the death penalty, lol

DeaviL

Banned
People seem to not understand that
"seeing the difference between good and evil" != "decision making"

They don't fail at seeing whether something is good or bad.
They fail at weighing the consequences vs their enjoyment,
which is helped by the fact that this is happening on the other side of a screen helping them avoid facing the consequences until it's too late and they've done some fucked up stuff and get arrested.

It's great that you never did anything like this, these kids are not you though.

Same here, and no one is suggesting they shouldn't be punished accordingly. Life in prison does not remotely resemble 'accordingly'.

I have done, and my post stands. You are looking at it from the perspective of an adult, a grown mind that understands the repercussions to another human being. 12 year old children do not do this. They know right from wrong, but they don't weight up the consequences fully, because they cannot comprehend them.

Yet they still knew what they were doing was wrong. You want to use the "well their kids they don't understand" excuse to not hold them to adult standards yet their crimes are far beyond any normal childish behavior. Your reasoning is valid but the nature of their crimes are very adult. There is a point where "boys will be boys" isn't an acceptable excuse. It doesn't seem like you're taking the scale of their crimes into consideration.

People seem to not understand that
"seeing the difference between good and evil" != "decision making"

They don't fail at seeing whether something is good or bad.
They fail at weighing the consequences vs their enjoyment,
which is helped by the fact that this is happening on the other side of a screen helping them avoid facing the consequences until it's too late and they've done some fucked up stuff and get arrested.

It's great that you never did anything like this, these kids are not you though.

Is the thought that these kids are sadists who would choose to do what are clearly bad things for their own self amusement suppose to reassure us?

DeaviL

Banned
Is the thought that these kids are sadists who would choose to do what are clearly bad things for their own self amusement suppose to reassure us?

Read it again, slowly.

PS. all kids do bad things, they usually immediately face the consequences and learn.

Have we had godwin's law yet, or are we just waiting on it?

BibiMaghoo

Yet they still knew what they were doing was wrong. You want to use the "well their kids they don't understand" excuse to not hold them to adult standards yet their crimes are far beyond any normal childish behavior. Your reasoning is valid but the nature of their crimes are very adult. There is a point where "boys will be boys" isn't an acceptable excuse. It doesn't seem like you're taking the scale of their crimes into consideration.

They simply cannot be held to adult standards, and that is enshrined in law in most places, which is why we define minors and children separately from adults in a court, because they are not the same. That is not an excuse. It is a fact.

The scale of their crimes are great in impact yes, I do not dispute that. But a kid committing an adult crime is still a child committing a crime, and not able to be held by the same methods of judgement. These kids live in a different time than when we were children, and these acts take nothing more than a keyboard and a telephone line to commit. My stepson is slightly older than that now, but at the same age he used our landline to run up a £200 bill to sex lines. He didn't consider the consequences of that - that we would see on the phone bill, that we would have to pay it - only of being caught at the time. Kids just do not think of the outcomes in the same way, because they are too young to comprehend them fully.

DeaviL

Banned
Good, so you have no problem if they learn it the hard way all at once, since it's been piling up like a back log and all.

And you call these kids bad, wow.

We're not saying they should go unpunished but... just read back please?

They would probably not get Life or Death nor am I calling for it, that being said I wouldn't bat an eye if that's how this story had ended.
Oh wait, never mind.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I can.

Even then, someone sneaking cookies is a bit different than being a cyber terrorist for yucks.

^
Honestly, now nobody is sure.

Most of us, myself include as just going to keep assuming that they have for lolz... Just like how they would have wanted of course.

And you call these kids bad, wow.

We're not saying they should go unpunished but... just read back please?

Oh wait, never mind.

*Shrugged*

It is as I've said, I'm not going to bother calling for Life or Death sentence because that's not going to happen, at least not in the US (Or was it Canada?).

BUT, in the off chance that somehow comes true, I don't see any reasons to give a damn.

P.S - And btw, no matter how 'bad' you think I am on the internet, at least I never made bomb threats.

They simply cannot be held to adult standards, and that is enshrined in law in most places, which is why we define minors and children separately from adults in a court, because they are not the same. That is not an excuse. It is a fact.

The scale of their crimes are great in impact yes, I do not dispute that. But a kid committing an adult crime is still a child committing a crime, and not able to be held by the same methods of judgement. These kids live in a different time than when we were children, and these acts take nothing more than a keyboard and a telephone line to commit. My stepson is slightly older than that now, but at the same age he used our landline to run up a £200 bill to sex lines. He didn't consider the consequences of that - that we would see on the phone bill, that we would have to pay it - only of being caught at the time. Kids just do not think of the outcomes in the same way, because they are too young to comprehend them fully.

Depending on where their located they can be tried as adults. The whole "different time" is crap. Phone lines existed when i was younger. That didn't mean i called in bomb threats. Also running up a bill on a phone line is akin to kids doing that via app purchases. While wrong its still not in the league of a criminal act. Please tell me how premeditated bomb threats towards specific individuals is merely a sign of the times.
Or how sexual assault is the equivalent of anything we did as kids 20 years ago. Is swatting people the new crank call now? These acts existed before. They were called ordering 100 pizzas and delivering them to someone you didn't like. A harmless prank. Yet somehow calling in armed men with guns to break into peoples house is the equivalent of that now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Do you know what they did?

That you can somehow reduce all of this to "kids being kids" is the height of absurdity to me. How far would they have had to have gone with their crimes in order for you to not be so lenient?

Nonsense. Your sex line comparison is nonsense.

The very nature of the crimes these people committed requires a knowledge of how many people would be affected. If they didn't fully know the consequences in advance, they wouldn't have done them. The fact that their crimes could affect so many people is exactly why they went through with them.

With the sex line example, he just wanted to have fun calling the sex line. The goal of his actions were not to cost you £200. He probably wasn't even considering that. Very different to what these guys did.

The idea of cyber warfare and hacking seemed pretty cool to me in the early days of the net, kinda like this romantic cyber-punk thing.

995HAC_Angelina_Jolie_076.jpg

Now as an adult I see these literal children on twitter pretending they're from the hood like it's 1994, calling in swat teams to people houses and bringing down video game services and I feel like the teenage wonderment inside me has truly died.

The future sucks man, it wasn't supposed to be like this..

Lol but you also have the grown-up shit like stuxnet that doesn't get nearly as much press.

Yeah man, that time when I was 12 and I called a bomb threat on a Sony executive and forced girls to send me nudes was pretty wild
lol most kids know enough not to do that shit

FX-GMC

A loose "fact" at best. Children can be tried as adults if the actions warrant it (Felony) and depending on other factors. The fact that the law is written this way means that depending on the circumstances, children teens can be held to adult standards.

Note: I have not stated if I agree with this or not.

DirtyLarry

"Swatting" cannot be dismissed as kids just being kids. The fact that technology exists and is more prevalent and common then it was back in the day is no excuse whatsoever.
Just sending the cops to someone's house, nevermind a fucking SWAT team, is way, way, way beyond the realm of a normal childish prank.
Therefore it should be treated as such.

BibiMaghoo

Depending on where their located they can be tried as adults. The whole "different time" is crap. Phone lines existed when i was younger. That didn't mean i called in bomb threats. Also running up a bill on a phone line is akin to kids doing that via app purchases. While wrong its still not in the league of a criminal act. Please tell me how premeditated bomb threats towards specific individuals is merely a sign of the times.
Or how sexual assault is the equivalent of anything we did as kids 20 years ago. Is swatting people the new crank call now? These acts existed before. They were called ordering 100 pizzas and delivering them to someone you didn't like. A harmless prank. Yet somehow calling in armed men with guns to break into peoples house is the equivalent of that now.

Do you know what they did?

That you can somehow reduce all of this to "kids being kids" is the height of absurdity to me. How far would they have had to have gone with their crimes in order for you to not be so lenient?

Nonsense. Your sex line comparison is nonsense.

The very nature of the crimes these people committed requires a knowledge of how many people would be affected. If they didn't fully know the consequences in advance, they wouldn't have done them. The fact that their crimes could affect so many people is exactly why they went through with them.

With the sex line example, he just wanted to have fun calling the sex line. The goal of his actions were not to cost you £200. He probably wasn't even considering that. Very different to what these guys did.

Comparison? No. Of course it doesn't compare. It was a real life example of how a 12 year old does not consider the effects and outcomes of doing something wrong the same way an adult does. I'm not saying it's anywhere near the same, it was posted in relation to the difference in understanding of outcomes, even when they know it was wrong. I thought that was pretty clear. No, we didn't call in bomb threats, and I'm not saying that's the norm. I'm saying it's real easy for kids to do this stuff these days, and so saying it's 'an adult crime' and 'they think like adults' because of the nature of what they did, is crap. I have only brought it down to the level of children make mistakes, because of posts calling for a life sentence, or a death sentence of a child. Not because I think what these people did is ok.

A loose "fact" at best. Children can be tried as adults if the actions warrant it (Felony) and depending on other factors. The fact that the law is written this way means that depending on the circumstances, children teens can be held to adult standards.

Note: I have not stated if I agree with this or not.

See 'most places'. There are many places where it makes no difference at all.

Amir0x

Banned
Justice doesn't need to be about some giant iron door that slams shut on someone's life.

just saying there are alternatives in the world which work incalculably better than simple "throw-the-book-at-'em" justice.

He didn´t try to handwave what those kids have done.

He tried to give some perspective...or wanted to remind everyone that we are dealing with human beeings because some people literally wanted them locked up in prison for the rest of their entire life.

And yes, child brains work fundamentally different (even on a biological level) from how our brains work.

What those kids did was absolutely terrible. Full stop. But thats nothing you go forever in prison for...especially when your 16 years old.

Edit: Oh, you already defended yourself. I agree.

Yes justice needs to be tailored for them, throwing the book at them is not how you handle this, I do agree they are too young to understand things

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I'm glad you used the term felony there. That arbitrary distinction makes it ok.
The difference between making a mistake and intentionally committing felonies (especially in the case of getting a plane grounded due to a false bomb threat AND threatening innocent women into sending nude pictures against their will) is not arbitrary at all.

BibiMaghoo

The difference between a making mistake and intentionally committing felonies (especially in the case of getting a plane grounded due to a false bomb threat AND threatening innocent women into sending nude pictures against their will) is not arbitrary at all.

No, the difference between those acts is not. The difference between a crime and a felony in response to my statement were. Both are crimes. The distinction is arbitrary.

fedexpeon

Banned
They aren't going to jail or be punished.
They are considered as a more valuable resources than most of us tbh.
They will be send over to the FBI/CIA/NSA to integrate them into the 'hidden war' against other nation states.

The more hackers or people that understand cyber-warfare under a state's control, the better.
We will need it since China and RU regularly attack our homeland security system.
I hope all these kids will mature enough during their time with the FBI/CIA/NSA that they will continue to use their skill sets for a good cause in the future.

And beside, the career in the private industry is easily 6 figures for these guys. They just need to behave.

wildfire

Banned
There are a lot of adults who say if it's on the internet it isn't real.

We don't even allow kids their age to be questioned without a parent or guardian when it comes to legal matters. Teenagers are at the age where they START being interested in legal matters.

Top Bottom