• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting outside the stores for MH4 in Japan today

Same reason people get upset in the west when a company moneyhats a game into being exclusive.

People have only one console, or they prefer one over they other and think it stinks when the market is distorted through bribery.

In fact, taken to extremes and forgetting about games for a moment, that kind of behaviour is illegal. Paying companies to blackball competitors is anti-consumer. For example, Intel paid OEM pc makers in the mid 2000s to not use AMD chips in their machines despite AMD having the much better products, thereby pushing AMD into near bankruptcy a few years later.

Difference here being it was clear 3ds was the monhun system before bitsever launched

What was this?

The character DLC for SF X T (which was complete on disc and in a playable state at launch) Was held back to coincide with the Vita version 6 months later.

Not only that, the PS3/Vita versions had 5 extra characters. It didnt go down well as these characters were also present on the 360 disc.

But isn't Japan where "3D will blind my children!" paranoia was at its greatest?

Its not as imperative in Japan because 3ds' demographic spans the gamut, in the West it is concentrated around children.

Funnily enough the only medical opinions since the 3ds launched have been that it won't do kids eyes any harm at all and would be very useful for identifying existing eye problems earlier, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't dropped the warnings

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It just never makes sense that these games are produced and not just translated at the exact same time. Like whats the difference between Dragon's Dogma/Resident Evil production, and this? Probably would have broken down and got a 3DS this year if it had come.

8-4 not sounding sure on when on earth the translation is due didn't fill me with confidence since they did the last one (did they do 3 Ultimate G?).

It just never makes sense that these games are produced and not just translated at the exact same time. Like whats the difference between Dragon's Dogma/Resident Evil production, and this? Probably would have broken down and got a 3DS this year if it had come.

8-4 not sounding sure on when on earth the translation is due didn't fill me with confidence since they did the last one (did they do 3 Ultimate G?).

There's little point rushing this out in the west seeing as the last one only came out 6 months ago

KaYotiX

Banned
Don't get the appeal of Monster Hunter. I've tried to like it..... Just can't get into it.

More power to em though. Crapcom can just live off of MH sales in between shit games they put out.

Hindle

Banned
Nintendo must be laughing thier asses off at the moment. To generate this kind of hype in Japan alone is crazy.

$h@d0w

Vita: what could have been

And lol those inflamated vita fans saying ugh

Jesus. Sony Japan must be shitting.

Sony dropped the ball letting Nintendo swipe MH from them.

meanwhile...at Sony HQ

work-meetings.gif

Maybe I'll get heavily for berated for this post but for better or worse Monster Hunter going 3DS exclusive resulted in a ton of games in this genre debuting exclusively on PSP/PS Vita. The 3DS has no other games in this genre because Capcom cannot be touched on that system. Third parties and even Sony themselves saw that the market on Vita was open without Capcom:

I don't know if this was a good thing or bad thing for Sony. Obviously they lost a major game changing exclusive and I am in no way demeaning the massive achievement of Nintendo and Capcom, but Sony got a diverse set of new franchises which may or may not be as good as the original thing. Going forward, Sony, Gungho, Tecmo Koei and Namco Bandi have built the beginnings of something on Vita.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe I'll get heavily for berated for this post but for better or worse Monster Hunter going 3DS exclusive resulted in a ton of games in this genre debuting exclusively on PSP/PS Vita. The 3DS has no other games in this genre because Capcom cannot be touched on that system. Third parties and even Sony themselves saw that the market on Vita was open without Capcom:

I don't know if this was a good thing or bad thing for Sony. Obviously they lost a major game changing exclusive and I am in no way demeaning the massive achievement of Nintendo and Capcom, but Sony got a diverse set of new franchises which may or may not be as good as the original thing. Going forward, Sony, Gungho, Tecmo Koei and Namco Bandi have built the beginnings of something on Vita.

I think its more of Sony approaching 3rd parties to have these games made to replace and compensate the loss of MH. Its more than a coincidence that these games are mostly advertised together in Japan.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
for all the shitty decisions Iwata made with the WiiU, it's amazing to see how he basically did the polar opposite with the 3DS. Securing MH's exclusivity was definitely the biggest blitz against the competition, at least for Japan

Ratrat

for all the shitty decisions Iwata made with the WiiU, it's amazing to see how he basically did the polar opposite with the 3DS. Securing MH's exclusivity was definitely the biggest blitz against the competition, at least for Japan
Eh, 3ds would have 'blitzed' the competition with or without monster hunter. If this costed them a lot I'd call it waste.

Eh, 3ds would have 'blitzed' the competition with or without monster hunter. If this costed them a lot I'd call it waste.

If the Vita had MH though its situation would be much better and would no doubt be getting more third party games. For instance SE has a heavy supporter of the PSP but look at their offerings at the Vita. Sony was really stupid to let their biggest exclusive on PSP go exclusive to the competition.

Celine

Really?
All the "clones" for vita you listed sold combined just a fraction of 3G port for 3DS.
It's obvious to know if it was a good or a bad thing for Sony.

Ratrat

If the Vita had MH though its situation would be much better and would no doubt be getting more third party games. For instance SE has a heavy supporter of the PSP but look at their offerings at the Vita. Sony was really stupid to let their biggest exclusive on PSP go exclusive to the competition.
Yeah, it would be better, ie not abysmal but I still don't think it would have been a serious threat(basically not what Nintendo should have worried about.)
Either way I thought the popular opinion is that it was Capcom.

$h@d0w

Toukiden - 207.745
Soul Sacrifice - 184'391
Ragnarok Odyssey - 65'138
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace - 40'507

Monster Hunter 3G - 1.589.804
Monster Hunter 3G BEST - 311.052

source: famitsu/enterbrain courtesy of GAF member Road

Interesting, thanks.

I liken this to a situation like Dreamworks and Pixar.

You get a Shrek or Kung Fu Panda every so often, they're okay to tide you over but when Pixar hits with Toy Story 3 blows everything out of the water.

mclem

Really?
All the "clones" for vita you listed sold combined just a fraction of 3G port for 3DS.
It's obvious to know if it was a good or a bad thing for Sony.

I'm trying to think of other examples of a genre king moving platforms and its rivals staying put. I'm struggling.

Jawmuncher

Jesus. Sony Japan must be shitting.

Crazy how that series is basically Japan's call of duty. And thus crazy how much more awesome Japan is than the rest of the world.

I'll never understand why they didn't do everything in their power to secure the IP.
Vita would be in a different position had they kept it.

Lumyst

Interesting, thanks.

I liken this to a situation like Dreamworks and Pixar.

You get a Shrek or Kung Fu Panda every so often, they're okay to tide you over but when Pixar hits with Toy Story 3 blows everything out of the water.

Hey! I'll have you know that Antz was WAAYYYYY better than A Bug's Life! Darker, edgier, more mature, screw that colorful Pixar stuff, it's all about the darker, grungier Dreamworks stuff.

Ridley327

There's little point rushing this out in the west seeing as the last one only came out 6 months ago

Yeah, it's easy to forget that MH3U came out in Japan in 2011, so they've been due. Not that I'm arguing against quicker localizations, but I understand why it's not a 2013 release in the west.

I'll agree with this 100%, Gods Eater Burst made me a huge fan of this genre (more so than Monster Hunter did at the time) so hopefully they decide to bring GE2 out to NA. I also plan on purchasing Soul Sacrifice, as well as Toukiden and RO:A if they come this way. Clones or not, I'm" happy to see the genre flourishing with so many diverse titles.

Maybe they did. Maybe Capcom wasn't interested.

Exactly. Capcom must have thought that the 3DS was a better option following the sales of the DS. I'm sure they would have loved to have had the series on the DS, but obviously the hardware wasn't powerful enough.

The cost of development would more than likely be cheaper too.

Road

I'll never understand why they didn't do everything in their power to secure the IP.
Vita would be in a different position had they kept it.

Because, as much as we say this in a joking manner, the evidences are overwhelming to the idea that Sony simply does not care as much about their handhelds.

Nintendo did not only secured MH, they were willing to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, to post their first loss ever as a company, to make sure 3DS wouldn't fall in a downward spiral. Similarly, Sony lost billions to keep the PS3 afloat (money that would be enough to secure MH exclusivity for the next 10 years). Even Microsoft moneyhatted and compromised on their policies to get what they wanted from Japan in the Xbox 360. Heck, even now we're seeing Sony helping the very same Capcom develop a game for... ...the PS4.

Top Bottom