• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting outside the stores for MH4 in Japan today

Ratrat

I question whether it would sell better on PSP actually. PSP is nowhere near as strong as it was when Portable 3rd came out andnsales of games have fallen. I imagine iit still would do very well though.

I also doubt that anyone would suggest it should be on PSP had it been released exclusively on Vita. Should FFXV be on PS3? It would probably sell better after all.
Not arguing that it should have been anywhere though. We're guessing at the motive/reasoning behind the final decision.
FFXV should have released on ps3 a long time ago as Versus XIII.

Mondriaan

I question whether it would sell better on PSP actually. PSP is nowhere near as strong as it was when Portable 3rd came out andnsales of games have fallen. I imagine iit still would do very well though.

I also doubt that anyone would suggest it should be on PSP had it been released exclusively on Vita. Should FFXV be on PS3? It would probably sell better after all.
I think the total sales for 3DS + PSP would have been higher than 3DS alone, high enough to justify the additional development costs, assuming Capcom being smart about development costs.

Yeah, it really makes no sense to abandon their fan base for a sake of creating a new fan base. Why can't it be on both PSP and 3DS? I don't know and I don't think we will ever know.

Glass Rebel

Unlike God Eater 2 and Toukiden being multiplat between Vita and PSP, Monster Hunter isn't as risky that it wouldn't sell on 3DS alone. Publishers want their userbase on new and supported platforms, not those that are on the brink of being phased out and replaced.

Mondriaan

Unlike God Eater 2 and Toukiden being multiplat between Vita and PSP, Monster Hunter isn't as risky that it wouldn't sell on 3DS alone. Publishers want their userbase on new and supported platforms, not those that are on the brink of being phased out and replaced.
Going single platform makes sense when you're a small dev/publisher and have to put all your eggs in a single basket. It also makes sense when you're a second party dev.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, it really makes no sense to abandon their fan base for a sake of creating a new fan base. Why can't it be on both PSP and 3DS? I don't know and I don't think we will ever know.
Eventually, it's time to move on and move the fanbase. It's not abandoning for the sake of abandoning and springing up elsewhere as much as it is taking a firm stance on what they feel is the best platform for the game and letting the fans follow, because they always do. Best prospective platform at that, especially considering worldwide growth.

I don't think it's an F you to fans when they decide not to develop for a nearly 10 year old platform, regardless of what history the franchise may have there. It's a non-issue.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oh grow up. You want to know why people say 3DS GAF has a bias against Vita? Stupid ass posts like these trying to paint all Vita owners into one group. Lets not be naive. It's obvious Nintendo and Capcom have some sort of agreement going on. To what extent? We'll probably never know, but some 3DS fans need to stop acting like Capcom came crawling to Nintendo's feet begging for the chance to put MonHun on 3DS. Capcom is about making money, not charity.

Well, both Nintendo and Capcom were pretty open that they have collaborations for this game, but there is not evidence that Nintendo paid Capcom for this game, which is what some people throw around as a factual statement.

I think you need to calm down.

Glass Rebel

Going single platform makes sense when you're a small dev/publisher and have to put all your eggs in a single basket. It also makes sense when you're a second party dev.

It also makes sense for a series that is focused on the social/local multiplayer aspect. The MH fanbase is dedicated enough that they will follow to the 3DS, as evident by the 2m sales of 3G and they're most likely going with 3DS only because it doesn't have any cross-platform play with either PSP or Vita. As I said, Capcom wants the MH fanbase to move on and releasing it on Vita has very little benefits. Long-term 3DS only is the best choice.

Oregano

I think the total sales for 3DS + PSP would have been higher than 3DS alone, high enough to justify the additional development costs, assuming Capcom being smart about development costs.

Why isn't Phantasy Star Nova on 3DS as well? It would probably sell better if it was on both, enough to justify the extra costs.

ohlawd

Wynne you're a decent poster but you really do suck at playing the straight man.

Terrible posts aside, I don't think Portable 3rd's will ever be topped. Can't see it happening but MH4 will make it to at least 4 mill retail + digital

Ratrat

It also makes sense for a series that is focused on the social/local multiplayer aspect. The MH fanbase is dedicated enough that they will follow to the 3DS, as evident by the 2m sales of 3G and they're most likely going with 3DS only because it doesn't have any cross-platform play with either PSP or Vita. As I said, Capcom wants the MH fanbase to move on and releasing it on Vita has very little benefits. Long-term 3DS only is the best choice.
Isn't Monster Hunter already fragmented by being on every gaming platform barring the vita? Are Portable fans not loyal enough to accept the psps successor then?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Two years after the announcement and Vita owners still aren't over it - that's what I call dedication.

MH4 might end up being the best selling MH title worldwide, when it's all said and done so it's not like Dragon Quest going Xbox exclusive. Most popular titkes being exclusive on PS2 instead of Cube or Xbox didn't surprise anyone back then.

Mondriaan

Why isn't Phantasy Star Nova on 3DS as well? It would probably sell better if it was on both, enough to justify the extra costs.
Well, as far as extra costs go I don't know how to estimate the cost of downporting a Vita game onto a 3DS. Would they be able to reuse the same models and animations?

Oregano

Well, as far as extra costs go I don't know how to estimate the cost of downporting a Vita game onto a 3DS. Would they be able to reuse the same models and animations?

Well isn't it the same for MH4? It uses MT Framework which isn't supported on the PSP and it's clearly doing some things the PSP cannot(self shadowing for example).

Isn't Monster Hunter already fragmented by being on every gaming platform barring the vita? Are Portable fans not loyal enough to accept the psps successor then?

Uh, the only console platforms to have gotten a true Monster hunter have been Wii and PS2. Tge other platforms have either ports of a PC mmo or a very late upport of a handheld title.

Ratrat

Uh, the only console platforms to have gotten a true Monster hunter have been Wii and PS2. Tge other platforms have either ports of a PC mmo or a very late upport of a handheld title.
Uh, so? What does 'true' even mean? Are the sales of 3G, 3G HD and 3rd HD meaningless? You don't think the fanbase is fragmented at all? Why is Capcom even bothering with Frontier G if they care so much.

Oregano

Uh, so? What does 'true' even mean? Are the sales of 3G, 3G HD and 3rd HD meaningless? You don't think the fanbase is fragmented at all? Why is Capcom even bothering with Frontier G if they care so much.

3rd HD didn't fragment the base at all because it was compatible with 3rd. 3G HD didn't fragment it because was compatible with 3G. 3G in a way did fragment it but it's the start of the new generation of systems and made way for 4.

Frontier is an MMO and it appeals to a different audience. The main MonHun games are driven primarily by local interation, which is also why the portable entries are more popular and also why multiplatform releases could be problematic.

Top Bottom