• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah $50 is a joke. This looks like the same scope and budget as Setsuna, and that game was a huge rip off at $40. It was a $15 game at best.

It'll drop in price very quickly, don't buy on launch unless you really loved Setsuna.

I can actually finish most RPGs on a portable system like the Switch so that'll probably be my system of choice. I'll probably wait on the price to drop to $40 or so though.

MoonFrog

We'll see. I want to be there for this initiative from Square but meh word of mouth plus other games I've been more interested in have kept me from going for Setsuna.

Hope this is one that grabs me quicker.

Waxy

That makes 2 of us.

Let's find the 8 that remain.

I really loved I Am Setsuna on Switch.

A little RPG that delivered a beautiful story and a fun combat system.
Add me to that list! Thought I am Setsuna was great all things considered.

I'm excited for this tho! The music so far sounds good and I'm glad that they are moving beyond a piano only OST. Now just have to decide to get it for Switch or PS4

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What? There's nothing in that video that Switch can't handle.

At some point you just have to ignore these posts...everything that doesnt look like classic Pac-Man cant possibly run on the Switch lol.

Nanashrew

Banned
"Development footage subject to change"
Damn straight. No way that was running on Switch, lol.

Looks like more of Setsuna, so it'll be interesting to see if it irons out that game's kinks. The story seems incredibly uninteresting from that small segment.

What?...

duckroll

It looks cheap and bland. It carries all the visual flaws of Setsuna. The UI still looks like it came right out of some stock RPG Maker tutorial package. Really disappointing.

I bought I am Setsuna and never finished it. It wasn't worth my time. Many indie RPGs have way more passion and polish than Tokyo RPG Factory games it seems.

Oregano

At some point you just have to ignore these posts...everything that doesnt look like classic Pac-Man cant possibly run on the Switch lol.

This one is particularly silly because the game looks pretty much exactly like I Am Setsuna... Which already runs on Switch.

LotusHD

Banned
It looks cheap and bland. It carries all the visual flaws of Setsuna. The UI still looks like it came right out of some stock RPG Maker tutorial package. Really disappointing.

Yep, I knew it reminded me of something, and then I read that they did Setsuna, and it all made sense...

Even disregarding that, that trailer did nothing to make me interested in the game's story.

AniHawk

I bought I am Setsuna and never finished it. It wasn't worth my time. Many indie RPGs have way more passion and polish than Tokyo RPG Factory games it seems.

i think having factory in your company name is probably being too honest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, I mean, they are called Tokyo RPG Factory...

Truth in advertising!

Edit:

Damn it AniHawk.

DMONKUMA

Looks like more of Setsuna, so it'll be interesting to see if it irons out that game's kinks. The story seems incredibly uninteresting from that small segment.

The hell you mean? Setsuna is not a looker and this is the exact same as it so of course it could run on the Switch.

Tohsaka

Looks interesting, $50 for a physical copy exclusive to the SE store really sucks though. Will probably end up getting it anyway, knowing me.

prudislav

love how description of the trailer mentions only Switch and PS4 , but in the end has small little steam logo (i guess its the Japan vs West kind of deal)

chrono01

Hmm, just watched the trailer. I love my classic JRPG's, especially in the vein of Chrono Trigger, but $50 for this one seems a little much. I Am Setsuna was reasonably-priced, this is not. Unless they're holding a lot of stuff back...

I want to support these developers, since they create a style of JRPG's I enjoy, but for $50 and something that appears to be very I Am Setsuna-ish. Will have to give this some thought. Regardless, physical for me is out, since SE can't be bothered to make it readily acceptable for people outside of the US (I'm not going to pay SE's ridiculous shipping fees, not to mention brokerage charges, to have it shipped here).

Hmmmm.

The music styling is 'better' than I Am Setsuna, but i'm hoping there is more variety to the music this time around (please no 1 piano soundtrack. Please no). I'll be there day 1 because I want to support SE's endeavor in heaving a dedicated RPG studio to old-school JRPGs I grew up on.

I'm a little disappointed that the quality of the assets is still seemingly on the same level as their last endeavor. I'd hoped their wide release would've facilitated some higher production budget for their 2nd project. In a lot of ways, this seems like a retread of a lot of the JRPG trappings that I Am Setsuna was also pulling from.

Count me in for a digital Switch copy - I see no reason I should have this game on a higher spec machine.

This one is particularly silly because the game looks pretty much exactly like I Am Setsuna... Which already runs on Switch.

The hell you mean? Setsuna is not a looker and this is the exact same as it so of course it could run on the Switch.

Please let me hear your reasoning for saying that.

Good job falling for it people.
Maybe check out his profile and posting history. The troll being so stupidly obvious should have given away its a pathetic attempt at reverse trolling and riling shit up

What the hell are you talking about, game doesn't look impressive at all. This is worse shitposting than people saying games "look like ps2 games"

Tbh I don't think Square Enix's current strategy of "saving rpgs" is a good idea when they are basically releasing bootleg FF/Chrono with a studio that's literally called "Tokyo RPG Factory". Square was considered untouchable in say, PS1 era not only because FF games were quite novel back then, but also because they made a very wide variety of games in terms of settings and sub-genres. Basically they make retro cashgrabs for their hardcore fans in between games that take way too much time to come out. That's the kind of model that made Nintendo irrelevant between their major releases. I think more original and distinct projects between the release of flagship titles would be better. Make games like TWEWY instead of not-FF

wrowa

This actually looks less interesting to me than Setsuna. People were complaining about Setsuna's lack of environment variety, but sticking to one theme (and instrument) at least made Setsuna appear somewhat unique. Lost Sphear on the other hand just looks like any other JRPG ever.

Setsuna had potential, but felt very rough and unpolished, so let's see if they can improve on that the second time around. I'm not holding my breath that this will be worth $50, but I'd glad to be wrong.

Setsuna wasn't good and this looks more varied but not much better. Some reused assets in there as well. I guess they take the 'Factory' in the name literally and just want to churn out budget games on a quick turn around.

Which i'm fine with if they're good enough, I suppose

Still waiting for a Setsuna sale on Switch tho and I hope they price this one more accordingly

Why doesn't SE study give them the Chrono license to play with at this point? We don't need a AAA ct sequel, just a well written and executed one.

BluWacky

Many indie RPGs have way more passion and polish than Tokyo RPG Factory games it seems.

Examples? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm always on the lookout.

I certainly enjoyed Setsuna more than you, although I think it's more a case that I didn't dislike it rather than actively thinking it was great. My main concern here is that Lostsphear feels too similar; I agree that the UI in particular needs revamping to look less like a mock-up.

Playing Cosmic Star Heroine recently actually reminds me of Setsuna. While all the ingredients are there of classic 16-bit titles in particular, there's still something missing that I can't put my finger on (I realise I'm in the minority on Cosmic Star Heroine, whereby again I just think it's fine rather than blowing me away).

ASaiyan

Banned
The hell you mean? Setsuna is not a looker and this is the exact same as it so of course it could run on the Switch. Please let me hear your reasoning
Maybe it's because it's 3AM, but the textures and especially background effects looked too good to run on Switch smoothly. Of course, I'm a bad judge of framerate, so if this is running 30fps like Setsuna Switch maybe it could handle it fine, but from my view I was imagining this was running on PC/PS4. Obviously the Tokyo RPG art style in general is not that intensive, lol.

Good job falling for it people.
Maybe check out his profile and posting history. The troll being so stupidly obvious should have given away its a pathetic attempt at reverse trolling and riling shit up
Umm...okay. You seem like quite a nice fellow.

I really hope that UI is not final, it's the only thing that's truly bothering me (ok, dat price too).

It looks like it came from a test build or anything early in dev.

This looks very bland and it lacks charm for the retro angle its going for. I felt the same about I Am Setsuna though, but this is somehow worse. Not really a fan but I do like ATB.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe it's because it's 3AM, but the textures and especially background effects looked too good to run on Switch smoothly. Of course, I'm a bad judge of framerate, so if this is running 30fps like Setsuna Switch maybe it could handle it fine, but from my view I was imagining this was running on PC/PS4. Obviously the Tokyo RPG art style in general is not that intensive, lol.

If you expand the screenshots in the OP, it looks marginally better than Bravely Default.

That looks more varied than Setsuna. I'm in!

Yeah, I'm in.

I like the music in the trailer too, as was said hopefully this one mixes up the music given the more varied setting.

The menus do look like big phone game touch screen buttons though. So the UI could use an overhaul.

wrowa

Why doesn't SE study give them the Chrono license to play with at this point? We don't need a AAA ct sequel, just a well written and executed one.

Setsuna was neither well written or all that well executed, so please no. At least not yet. Give the studio the chance to grow before handling it one of the most beloved cult IPs. (And give them a bit more money, hard to make a great RPG when your budget is 500 yen)

ZeroX03

Banned
Which i'm fine with if they're good enough, I suppose

Still waiting for a Setsuna sale on Switch tho and I hope they price this one more accordingly

Yeah... maybe play Setsuna first...

Teeny Titans is a $4 iOS RPG that's muuuuuuuuuch better. I agree that you can make budget games on a reasonably quick turn around that are decent, but the last one wasn't of that quality or price tag.

If you expand the screenshots in the OP, it looks marginally better than Bravely Default.

Bravely Default has art direction tho

Top Bottom