• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

I am Setsuna chugged along at a good quality but never amounted to anything better than "good". I hope they've stepped things up with this one.

chrono01

$33.99 USD (+ the base price of $49.99 for the game itself) as the only shipping option to Canada.

Thirty-Three-Dollars-and-Ninety-Nine-Cents. Plus I'd have to pay brokerage on top of that, which means probably an additional $20 or so.

No. Thanks.

Wadiwasi

Banned
I kinda want to play I am Setsuna, but from what I've seen of it, I don't want to spend the amount of money they are asking for the game. Watching this trailer I felt the exact same way.

I think the developers know they lost sales on Setsuna because of the price and are trying to make up a little ground with this one by raising the price (figuring they'll get about the same amount of sales). Restaurants that fail do the same crap like this....business is bad so to make up costs they raise menu prices while cutting costs by decreasing food quality/portions. It's an always lose strategy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch port is nice. Skipped I Am Setsuna due to middling reviews, hope they learned from the feedback.

I mean its multiplattform game - not every game that hits Switch and is on other systems is a port. DOnt know why everything that isnt exclusive is regarded a port on Switch, when most new projects are designed with Switch in mind from the start.

Yeah, Square said the game was supposed to come out on PS4 as a F2P game but since they decided to put it on the Switch, they had to charge $50 for it. Such a bummer.

lol

Zedark

Anyone in the UK getting an "internal error" message when trying to preorder the Switch version?
Seems like an EU store issue, I have the same ptoblem while US folks have no issue at all. I tweeted at SE EU to ask if they know about the error, so I hope they solve it soon.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played I Am Setsuna, but I was always intrigued by it. It'd be great if this solidly improves on Tokyo RPG Factory's first project. It unfortunately has a generic vibe to it.

If you expand the screenshots in the OP, it looks marginally better than Bravely Default.

This is disappointingly accurate.

I get that they're on a small budget, but it's sad that they dropped Vita support and still have a game releasing on PS4 that looks like this for $50. I expect nearly full-priced games where Switch is the least powerful supported platform to look much better.

hongcha

I mean its multiplattform game - not every game that hits Switch and is on other systems is a port. DOnt know why everything that isnt exclusive is regarded a port on Switch, when most new projects are designed with Switch in mind from the start.

PS4 was the lead platform for I am Setsuna, it's reasonable to assume that's the same case here as well. For Setsuna, PS4 ver 60fps, Switch 30fps. Probably same deal with this one.

Wise move for them to skip Vita for this -- Setsuna ran terribly on Vita (and was never even localized).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
PS4 was the lead platform for I am Setsuna, it's reasonable to assume that's the same case here as well. For Setsuna, PS4 ver 60fps, Switch 30fps. Probably same deal with this one.

Wise move for them to skip Vita for this -- Setsuna ran terribly on Vita (and was never even localized).

I actually dont know why setsuna ran anywhere below 60 on switch except that it was a obvious rushed for launch port

According to their post on Facebook physical copies for PS4 and SWT are S-E store exclusive.
And this confirms that I won't buy it.

The only $50+ games I'd buy digitally are online game than I plan to play for hundreds of hours over a few years. A $50 JRPG digital only? lol no. I ain't buying from their silly store. Amazon/Gamestop or bust.

I actually finished I am Sestuna last night, enjoyed it, not amazing, not poor though (Seems a few people have taken against it!). A good 20 hours of old school fun, so looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Price doesn't bother me too much either, i got a good 20 hours out of IAS so felt like i got my money's worth.

Zedark

Setsuna released in February 2016, though, more than a year before the Switch launch. Of course PS4 was the lead platform. For this one Switch could be an equal dev platform just as XB1 and PS4 are for many releases.

I'm getting an error trying to Pre-Order this from the European SE store. I'm trying to give them my money, yet the Store fumbles and I can't. smh

KtSlime

At least you guys know the price, in Japan SE just uploaded the video, announced the release is sometime in fall but no mention of price.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
My time spent with I am Setsuna was far more enjoyable to me than many games I spent more money and less time on. Sure I wouldn't mind it being cheaper, but I'll still get it. No doubt. Loved the first, bring it on.

sublimit

Banned
If there was a proper physical version i'd have bought it at full price but SE store exclusive means no physical AT ALL for me (shitty SE store doesn't ship to my county). Which also means i'll wait for a significant sale of the digital version. Which also means that i will probably never buy it.

Oh well,too many other physical games (sold on regular retail shops) for me to spend my money on.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is the game about a spherical spear?

Anyway i hope this game makes people in general and PS4 owners in particular understand that it's not the aimed consoles to define the graphics of a game but the budget, this looks like a (cheap)Vita game despite not being on Vita.

If a game is multi with Vita don't complain, the PS4 version isn't going to be dragged down by Vita for the simple reason that developer could afford to make a Vita-level game.

Maybe the Switch digital version of I Am Setsuna will have dropped in price by the time this releases.
I doubt it.

I really enjoy simpler JRPGs, and I'm glad Tokyo RPG Factory gets to make another one. Also awesome that there is a western physical release this time around, even if it's a SE store exclusive for now.

Masagiwa

Honestly looks like a reskinned Setsuna >.<

It's because it is. I compared some of the character models, houses etc. they are identical with maybe different clothes, color. Reusing assets is a good thing but this legitimately looks identical to I am Setsuna.

Project Octopath Traveler looks way more interesting than this, who is developing that btw? Bravely Default team?

jb1234

The music's nice but everything else in that trailer screamed stock JRPG. At least the bits that weren't ripped straight out of Setsuna, a game that I found very underwhelming. And $49? Haha, no. I really want to support these guys but first, they need to make a game that capitalizes on more than just 90s nostalgia.

Wagram

I found Setsuna extremely disappointing, but i'm willing to give them a second chance.

One of the enemies is straight out of Setsuna though. lol

Oregano

It's because it is. I compared some of the character models, houses etc. they are identical with maybe different clothes, color. Reusing assets is a good thing but this legitimately looks identical to I am Setsuna.

Project Octopath Traveler looks way more interesting than this, who is developing that btw? Bravely Default team?

Yup, Octopath is from Asano Team as they are now known.

Didn't look like it has action commands from ias, and had 4 man parties. I hope this is the case, not a fan of action commands and I love larger parties.

cw_sasuke

I don't think so.. Look at the reception in this thread with many people saying that it doesn't look PS4 worthy or the price tag being too high. This wouldnt be the sentiment if this was a 3DS or Vista game for example, and I assume that the reception for these type of titles will be higher on Switch because the games will still look good in portable mode and Switch is succeeding Vita/3DS on some level.

I doubt that SE is developing this for PS4 specs so they have to to retrofit it later to Switch. The game being developed for Switch and PS4/PC getting that version with higher resolution and maybe better fps is more likely. This game isn't pushing any of these systems, so developing it with PS4 specs seems unnecessary.

Haunted

People were asking when indies would start making homages of PS1 and PS2 games.

Looks like SE preempted that and is starting to make homages to their own games with fewer manpower, smaller budgets and quicker turnarounds. First I am Setsuna, now this. Not sure they can coast on nostalgia for these, games referencing quality games from yesteryear doesn't make them quality games themselves.

theofficefan99

This looks like it has enough variety in environments for me to get interested, but I'm a little disappointed that this doesn't seem to have a higher budget. I would've assumed they would have received a massive profit from Setsuna especially given its huge price tag.

Wait... now they're charging $50?! This looks like it doesn't even have half the budget of their $40 3DS games.... lol what gives wtf

Fbh

Looks kinda bland. The trailer looked unexciting with some cheesy text and much like Setsuna it looks like it was made in a board meeting with a checklist of what an "oldschool RPG" should have.

Also $50 seems pretty expensive for those production values specially considering there are some reused assets.

duckroll

I don't think so.. Look at the reception in this thread with many people saying that it doesn't look PS4 worthy or the price tag being too high. This wouldnt be the sentiment if this was a 3DS or Vista game for example, and I assume that the reception for these type of titles will be higher on Switch because the games will still look good in portable mode and Switch is succeeding Vita/3DS on some level.

I doubt that SE is developing this for PS4 specs so they have to to retrofit it later to Switch. The game being developed for Switch and PS4/PC getting that version with higher resolution and maybe better fps is more likely. This game isn't pushing any of these systems, so developing it with PS4 specs seems unnecessary.

You think people would be more positive about this game if it's a 50 dollar 3DS/Vita game? LOL.

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member
I am Setsuna chugged along at a good quality but never amounted to anything better than "good". I hope they've stepped things up with this one.

The game starts with a young boy who loses his beloved peasant village, I think it's safe to say that the plot will be cliched as all heck.

cw_sasuke

You think people would be more positive about this game if it's a 50 dollar 3DS/Vita game? LOL.
Compared to selling the game to the PS4 audience got 50bucks? Yes.

Take a game like Beyond Oasis and put it out on PS4 in HD and people would freak out about the price point. While 40 bucks for the 3DS release would be the norm. It's all about expectation. Lost Spear looks like a game that would be home on handhelds and is priced the way a 3rdParty release would be in Japan.

The physical version in the west is obvious some limited deal which affects the price. I expect the digital version to be around 30 bucks which would be in line with a game offering more than I Am Setsuna.

Kouriozan

Skipped Setsuna since we kept hearing how mediocre it was (and the constant piano soundtrack was boring)
Let's hope this one will be better.

Lost Sphere? Lost Spear? Lost SP, here? Lost, so hear?

Lol. Wonder how this one will do. Will pick up on a Steam sale like I'm planning on doing with Setsuna.

Going purely by the screenshots in the OP, it looks a bit cheap and crappy. You'd expect it to look better than I Am Satsuna at the very least, but it's early days yet I suppose. Square Enix probably did another Square Enix and announced the game the day it went into development.

duckroll

Compared to selling the game to the PS4 audience got 50bucks? Yes.

Take a game like Beyond Oasis and put it out on PS4 in HD and people would freak out about the price point. While 40 bucks for the 3DS release would be the norm. It's all about expectation. Lost Spear looks like a game that would be home on handhelds and is priced the way a 3rdParty release would be in Japan.

The physical version in the west is obvious some limited deal which affects the price. I expect the digital version to be around 30 bucks which would be in line with a game offering more than I Am Setsuna.

All I can say to that is... lol. Btw the press release says the digital price is 50 bucks on PS4, Switch, and Steam. :p

Top Bottom