• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Sphear announced (Square Enix/Tokyo RPG Factory, PC/PS4/Switch, $50, 2018)

bigjig

I enjoyed Setsuna but even then I thought the price tag was on the high end for what it was. At 50 bucks I'll just wait for a deep price cut

LOCK

I'm ok with this. Not hyped or anything, but I'm being optimistic by saying it looks better than Setsauna.

Looks a bit bland to me, the story doesn't really interest me at the moment and it's €50. Nope. Plenty of other RPGs coming out.

zeromcd73

Before clicking on the trailer I was really excited and hoping for some progress since Setsuna.

Dammit. Looks as generic as the first game and lol the UI looks horrific. Also those penguin enemies are ripped straight from Setsuna.

Hope we get more news at E3 for Project Octopath Traveler :(

Ascheroth

Concept sounds interesting, but yikes that price. This is even more expensive then Setsuna which was already overpriced (still waiting for a good sale to give it a try).
Those games are clearly budget titles sold at (near) full-price, which is disappointing.

Zedark

This looks great: more varied locales but with the same artstyle is what I wanted from Setsuna's follow-up! I'm so in, time to place a pre-order (just in case).

Maybe it's because it's 3AM, but the textures and especially background effects looked too good to run on Switch smoothly. Of course, I'm a bad judge of framerate, so if this is running 30fps like Setsuna Switch maybe it could handle it fine, but from my view I was imagining this was running on PC/PS4. Obviously the Tokyo RPG art style in general is not that intensive, lol.
Well, from the DF analysis of I am Setsuna, Switch gave the same visual presentation except for some reduced lighting and a reduced frame rate, so I can't see why what we're seeing in the trailer wouldn't run on Switch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looks okay but $50 is too much. I did like that they shown more environment variety.

Games that cost less than this at launch:
- Divinity: Original Sin (and Divinity: Original Sin 2)
- Pillars of Eternity
- Overwatch on PC

Maybe they're assuming demand is incredibly inelastic?

N E R O

So apparently i can't pre-order a physical copy because i live in NA
And to import a Limited run would definitely cost me a fortune :/

What's wrong with you square ?!

Does the SE store charge for pre-orders right away?

Edit - For anyone interested, I just pre-ordered. SE charges 50 cents to your account for pre-authorization purposes (this charge should reverse in a few days), but they do not charge you for a pre-order until shortly before the item ships.

jqdunn

I just finished Setsuna on my Switch. First turn based RPG I've played in years. It was a lot of fun!

This looks good. I'm excited.

I guess TGF's logo no longer makes sense as being the company that makes snowy games lol

Eolz

Hopefully this time they've played old games instead of just reading/watching about them and trying to make a similar game with no soul.

Oregano

This looks great: more varied locales but with the same artstyle is what I wanted from Setsuna's follow-up! I'm so in, time to place a pre-order (just in case).

Well, from the DF analysis of I am Setsuna, Switch gave the same visual presentation except for some reduced lighting and a reduced frame rate, so I can't see why what we're seeing in the trailer wouldn't run on Switch.

It's important to remember that the port of I Am Setsuna was also finished last December so this has the benefit or another year of development on more mature tools.

No joke it looks like a quality mobile game so why not release it on iOS as well?

It will eventually, but you can't sell a mobile game for $50.

Zedark

FFS Square Enix, let me pre-order your f*cking game! Anyone else getting the following error:
Square Enix f'ing store said:
An internal error occured during the check of your cart. Sorry for the inconvenience.

duckroll

Examples? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm always on the lookout.

I certainly enjoyed Setsuna more than you, although I think it's more a case that I didn't dislike it rather than actively thinking it was great. My main concern here is that Lostsphear feels too similar; I agree that the UI in particular needs revamping to look less like a mock-up.

Playing Cosmic Star Heroine recently actually reminds me of Setsuna. While all the ingredients are there of classic 16-bit titles in particular, there's still something missing that I can't put my finger on (I realise I'm in the minority on Cosmic Star Heroine, whereby again I just think it's fine rather than blowing me away).

When there are games like Undertale, Stardew Valley, and Indivisible coming from either single developers or small teams who aren't funded by the biggest RPG publisher in Japan, I don't see why I should cut Tokyo RPG Factory any slack. Their single title released so far lacks charm, uniqueness, and polish. It screams of a school assignment project with the requirement of "make it feel sort of like old retro RPGs people loved (ie: Chrono Trigger)". I did not get the sense that anyone making it did it out of wanting to say anything personally or having a passion to create something worthwhile. This looks exactly the same.

Last year, from this same publisher, veteran loony designer Kawazu released SaGa Scarlet Grace. Like I am Setsuna, it was a zero-budget back to basics sort of RPG made in Unity by what seems like interns. No voice, no cutscenes or movies, just graphics presenting characters, the world, text dialogue, battles, and music. Yet it was a fantastic experience because every second of the game felt like content packed in with a specific intent, and everything comes together so well. That's what I expect out of games regardless of team size or quality, having something to say for itself. The only thing I am Setsuna said was "Alright we got our paychecks."

It looks a bit cheap and without identity, perhaps even moreso than Setsuna because that had the snow as a constant. I do love games where you restore a world though, so it's on my radar. I just hope they can make a world worth restoring.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think I saw the little penguin enemies from i am setsuna, so im guessing this takes place in the same universe

Faustek

When there are games like Undertale, Stardew Valley, and Indivisible coming from either single developers or small teams who aren't funded by the biggest RPG publisher in Japan, I don't see why I should cut Tokyo RPG Factory any slack. Their single title released so far lacks charm, uniqueness, and polish. It screams of a school assignment project with the requirement of "make it feel sort of like old retro RPGs people loved (ie: Chrono Trigger)". I did not get the sense that anyone making it did it out of wanting to say anything personally or having a passion to create something worthwhile. This looks exactly the same.

Last year, from this same publisher, veteran loony designer Kawazu released SaGa Scarlet Grace. Like I am Setsuna, it was a zero-budget back to basics sort of RPG made in Unity by what seems like interns. No voice, no cutscenes or movies, just graphics presenting characters, the world, text dialogue, battles, and music. Yet it was a fantastic experience because every second of the game felt like content packed in with a specific intent, and everything comes together so well. That's what I expect out of games regardless of team size or quality, having something to say for itself. The only thing I am Setsuna said was "Alright we got our paychecks."

Ara fell, people should give it a shot.

And man, I need to finish SSG. Still only done Balmaint :/

watershed

Banned
Silly title spelling and price aside, I'm liking this so far. The more varied environments and nicer graphics make this a step up from Setsuna but that price...hopefully the rpg mechanics are really good.

TrutaS

Well it seems cute. But the reused monster assets are a bit of a bummer - by the end of I am Setsuna i was already tired if them...

aadiboy

Uh...not to start a shit storm or anything but is the game $50 because of the Switch? This looks just as bad as I am Setsuna yet that launced at $40. And since this is getting a physical release on both PS4 and Switch, could the price be higher across the board for price parity with the Switch physical version?

Zedark

Uh...not to start a shit storm or anything but is the game $50 because of the Switch? This looks just as bad as I am Setsuna yet that launced at $40. And since this is getting a physical release on both PS4 and Switch, could the price be higher across the board for price parity with the Switch physical version?

No one but SE can either confirm or deny this, so let's indeed not do this.

I was able to pre-order without issue.
What store did you use? I am going through the EU store, so maybe the error is with the EU store?

Yeah, Square said the game was supposed to come out on PS4 as a F2P game but since they decided to put it on the Switch, they had to charge $50 for it. Such a bummer.

Switch port is nice. Skipped I Am Setsuna due to middling reviews, hope they learned from the feedback.

As mentioned previously, it's funny that they're called JRPG factory, lol
Also weird that they formed a new studio to basically make budget Bravely Default games

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Didn't play Setsuna, but for this one I really don't like the design for what looks to be the MC, those tiny legs and massive arms/fists...yeesh.

Top Bottom