• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Japanese 3DS LL

To be fair, it might not be a bad idea for someone to create some sort of guide to Japanese 3DS with some FAQs and recommended games, as there are a lot of questions I see asked pretty frequently, especially considering the recent jump in interest due to (or that I assume is due to) Smash 3DS. Though maybe that's sorta what we already have here? And maybe that would end up devolving into region lock debate? I dunno.

georly

To be fair, it might not be a bad idea for someone to create some sort of guide to Japanese 3DS with some FAQs and recommended games, as there are a lot of questions I see asked pretty frequently, especially considering the recent jump in interest due to (or that I assume is due to) Smash 3DS. Though maybe that's sorta what we already have here? And maybe that would end up devolving into region lock debate? I dunno.

I'd love some FAQ on this. I can't speak or read japanese, but I own an NA 3DS, so I'm sure I can navigate around, but there are still plenty of questions i'd love answered once I actually get my hands on mine (it's still shipping). If there is already an FAQ, i'd love to be pointed in its direction.

Keyouta

I want a Japanese 3DS for the games, but I don't really want to buy a 2nd one. That Orange/Black model looks great though.

I'd love some FAQ on this. I can't speak or read japanese, but I own an NA 3DS, so I'm sure I can navigate around, but there are still plenty of questions i'd love answered once I actually get my hands on mine (it's still shipping). If there is already an FAQ, i'd love to be pointed in its direction.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post here. :]

I would help with a FAQ but I'm damn busy.

Boogiepop

Does... my Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3DS LL not have one of those tickets for that campaign? I just spent some definite time registering it on Club Nintendo, only to realize the thing I thought was the ticket was just a Club Nintendo card, and I don't see one elsewhere in the box. This is lame. One less Pokemon game for me, I guess? And I put in some effort to get it before the campaign changed over, bleh. I'm assuming I'd know by now if I had it, and I'm just out of luck?

Drago

Do you need a Japanese Club Nintendo code to redeem make an account there? I had a code for AAI2 but it seems to have expired a few months ago, bah.

If anyone can spare me a code I would be most grateful (unless someone can direct me to how I make an account without a code, I don't think I can)

Does... my Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3DS LL not have one of those tickets for that campaign? I just spent some definite time registering it on Club Nintendo, only to realize the thing I thought was the ticket was just a Club Nintendo card, and I don't see one elsewhere in the box. This is lame. One less Pokemon game for me, I guess? And I put in some effort to get it before the campaign changed over, bleh. I'm assuming I'd know by now if I had it, and I'm just out of luck?

Mine didn't come with one either. It came with DQM2 though so its not like you're getting such a bad deal.

georly

I just want to know the best way to get club nintendo picross when I finally get mine.

I'll be ordering MH4 off amazon, I think. Then getting smash bros digitally. Will that be enough?

Boogiepop

Mine didn't come with one either. It came with DQM2 though so its not like you're getting such a bad deal.

Haha, yeah. Little grumpy though. It's not like I needed that Pokemon, but darn if I didn't want it! But yeah, this thing is huge! Never had an LL before, and it's definitely large!

Also, Club Nintendo points seem like they may be a tad whack in Japan. Registering the 3DS got me just exactly the points I needed for Club Nintendo Picross (hooray at getting that though!) Not a huge deal, though, since Nintendoji is the only other thing for me on there unless I want to figure out using a forwarding service or something.

Shurayuki

It would seem only these come with a code as per the campaign page.

Do you need a Japanese Club Nintendo code to redeem make an account there? I had a code for AAI2 but it seems to have expired a few months ago, bah.

If anyone can spare me a code I would be most grateful (unless someone can direct me to how I make an account without a code, I don't think I can)

Yes you need a code.

Boogiepop

Okay guys, I added some funds to my nice shiny new 3DS and grabbed myself For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Picross 2 (god was Picross e5 ever tempting, but I still have the older games to play through on my US 3DS, and I really do want them in one place as much as possible), Fire Emblem Gaiden, and the first Famicom Tantei Club. I've got 1150 yen left. Any suggestions? I'm sure I'll get the other Famicom Tantei Club eventually, assuming I don't hate the first part, though that can wait for later. Definitely want to focus on stuff that has pretty much no chance of coming to the US for now, though.

Also, in using "tantei" for my search term, I learned two neat things: Apparently there are at least 2 Detective Conan games for the 3ds (any good?), and that they apparently sell the manga on the eShop too. Like, there appeared to be bundles of 10 volume sets for sale. I already imported it, and that's probably not the ideal place for reading, but I thought that was neat.

georly

Okay guys, I added some funds to my nice shiny new 3DS and grabbed myself For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Picross 2 (god was Picross e5 ever tempting, but I still have the older games to play through on my US 3DS, and I really do want them in one place as much as possible), Fire Emblem Gaiden, and the first Famicom Tantei Club. I've got 1150 yen left. Any suggestions? I'm sure I'll get the other Famicom Tantei Club eventually, assuming I don't hate the first part, though that can wait for later. Definitely want to focus on stuff that has pretty much no chance of coming to the US for now, though.

Also, in using "tantei" for my search term, I learned two neat things: Apparently there are at least 2 Detective Conan games for the 3ds (any good?), and that they apparently sell the manga on the eShop too. Like, there appeared to be bundles of 10 volume sets for sale. I already imported it, and that's probably not the ideal place for reading, but I thought that was neat.

Oh yeah, what other japanese only picross games are there?

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, what other japanese only picross games are there?

As far as I know we're only behind e5 on the Picross e series, and since we got the first 4 and it only came out last month I'm sure it'll come over here too. Picross 2 is a GB game and sequel to Mario's Picross, though, and we never got it. Club Nintendo Picross is of course also one I was sure to grab. And then there's Mario's Super Picross, but that's not on 3DS since it's a Super Famicom game. I think that's all of them, unless I'm forgetting something.

georly

As far as I know we're only behind e5 on the Picross e series, and since we got the first 4 and it only came out last month I'm sure it'll come over here too. Picross 2 is a GB game and sequel to Mario's Picross, though, and we never got it. Club Nintendo Picross is of course also one I was sure to grab. And then there's Mario's Super Picross, but that's not on 3DS since it's a Super Famicom game. I think that's all of them, unless I'm forgetting something.

OK, i'll definitely get picross 2 on GB, then!

If you're looking for other adventure games, there's Shin Onigashima.

You know what would be awesome is if someone made some guides to help people get through Band Bros. p :)

uhhhh whaddya need to know?

The thread has some assorted screenshot guides for a few things but I don't think we ever figured that there'd be enough interest to merit a full guide. Everyone who bought it around launch just sorta collectively went through working out the game together, heh.

Koppai

uhhhh whaddya need to know?

The thread has some assorted screenshot guides for a few things but I don't think we ever figured that there'd be enough interest to merit a full guide. Everyone who bought it around launch just sorta collectively went through working out the game together, heh.
I don't want to get it and then can't figure out how to download games to it. If anything I can just download the game from the eshop instead of wait for a physical copy right?

I don't want to get it and then can't figure out how to download games to it. If anything I can just download the game from the eshop instead of wait for a physical copy right?

Oh, figuring out how to download the game? It shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you'd like, I can try to take some pictures to indicate how to do some parts of it like adding a credit card and searching for the game. And yeah, it's available from eShop though... it might be more expensive? I'm not really sure. Either way, the physical and digital versions are exactly the same, including how many tomatoes (song-purchasing currency) it comes with. And if you have any problems with the game itself, you can just check out the thread. A lot of the first few pages are us trying to figure some stuff in the game out ourselves, and if you don't see an answer there, you can feel free to ask.

I just want to know the best way to get club nintendo picross when I finally get mine.

I'll be ordering MH4 off amazon, I think. Then getting smash bros digitally. Will that be enough?

Registering a new 3DS/3DSLL gives you 80 points, that's enough for the club picross.

I still remember getting 100 points just from MH4. 30+digital bonus(30)+early bonus(30)+Questionnaire(10).

georly

Registering a new 3DS/3DSLL gives you 80 points, that's enough for the club picross.

I still remember getting 100 points just from MH4. 30+digital bonus(30)+early bonus(30)+Questionnaire(10).

I'm buying it used, since I'm really only getting it for smash bros to play it 3 weeks early. Everything else is a bonus. So no new 3DS bonus :(

I'm buying it used, since I'm really only getting it for smash bros to play it 3 weeks early. Everything else is a bonus. So no new 3DS bonus :(

If you're getting smash digital, you'll earn 20+early bonus(20)+digital bonus(20)+preorder bonus(10)=70 points.

You can also download some demos from e-shop, then do the questionnaire within one week, each demo questionnaire gives you 5 points.

Drago

Alright I need help.

I'm trying to add funds using a credit card but I get a message before I can put any info in that kicks me back to the front page. No idea what it's saying :x

Here's the message:
TYVq1ls.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

georly

If you're getting smash digital, you'll earn 20+early bonus(20)+digital bonus(20)+preorder bonus(10)=70 points.

You can also download some demos from e-shop, then do the questionnaire within one week, each demo questionnaire gives you 5 points.

Sweeeeet thanks!

And yeah, I plan on adding a US credit card, so I, too, might need help when I get to that point.

One of these days I'm going to try to learn japanese :/ It would be so helpful sometimes.

Alright I need help.

I'm trying to add funds using a credit card but I get a message before I can put any info in that kicks me back to the front page. No idea what it's saying :x

Here's the message:

can't read japanese, but I think that's parental control.

Boogiepop

Yep, that was it! Odd that everything is locked by default on the JP 3DS but not on my NA one. Oh well.

I don't think it's by default, since I said no when it asked me on boot-up, but if you were powering through that and couldn't read Japanese it's very possible you may have turned them on by accident.

Drago

I don't think it's by default, since I said no when it asked me on boot-up, but if you were powering through that and couldn't read Japanese it's very possible you may have turned them on by accident.
That's very possible, indeed. Probably exactly what happened. :p

Running into another issue now; trying to add eShop credit and before it adds anything I get an error (011-7516):

Nintendo of America says it means I'm not connected to an Access Point but I am, so... (unless that really is the problem?)

Sorry for being such a bother with questions :B

Alright I need help.

Here's the message:

It's parental controls. You just have to go in and enable purchase of goods.

BTW, a good tip is to use the smartphone or tablet Google Translate app to take a photo and have that translate stuff you don't understand. It's translation of Japanese is awful but it can often be just enough to figure out what's going on.

Running into another issue now; trying to add eShop credit and before it adds anything I get an error (011-7516):
You put your credit card info in wrong.

OmegaFax

If you have an Android device, Google Translate has an OCR function. You can translate text from the camera or an image file on your device. It definitely comes in handy.

B44v5IQl.png

Edit: SheepyGuy mentioned it before I refreshed the thread and posted but that's what it looks like. Works well enough.

Drago

It's parental controls. You just have to go in and enable purchase of goods.

BTW, a good tip is to use the smartphone or tablet Google Translate app to take a photo and have that translate stuff you don't understand. It's translation of Japanese is awful but it can often be just enough to figure out what's going on.

You put your credit card info in wrong.
Woah, I had no idea Googlr Translate did that. Thanks for the tip!

I swear I put my info in right though... it's a Visa debit card, if that counts for anything.

Koppai

No I know how to download stuff from the eshop. But I'm saying where would I go in the game to download the new songs and how many gigs do I need?

Sakura

Nintendo of America says it means I'm not connected to an Access Point but I am, so... (unless that really is the problem?)

Sorry for being such a bother with questions :B

Says your credit card number is not valid. Either you put the info in wrong or your card won't work.

No I know how to download stuff from the eshop. But I'm saying where would I go in the game to download the new songs and how many gigs do I need?

Ah, gotcha. Downloading songs is pretty straightforward. At the main menu, you select the option on the right (it says "Kyockfeller Center", written in English), and from there, the top menu option takes you to the download shop.

The game itself is 1 GB (8192 blocks, evidently), and the songs are all about 1 block each because they're just MIDI.

CANLI

Ah, gotcha. Downloading songs is pretty straightforward. At the main menu, you select the option on the right (it says "Kyockfeller Center", written in English), and from there, the top menu option takes you to the download shop.

The game itself is 1 GB (8192 blocks, evidently), and the songs are all about 1 block each because they're just MIDI.

which are you talkin about?

There's Rhythm Thief R on big sale now (1000 yens only). Who has the game and is it good or not?
Next week, there's will be the crazy construction game and Deruderude alien game at 250 yens. Someone played those games?

georly

If you have an Android device, Google Translate has an OCR function. You can translate text from the camera or an image file on your device. It definitely comes in handy.

B44v5IQl.png

Edit: SheepyGuy mentioned it before I refreshed the thread and posted but that's what it looks like. Works well enough.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that will be BEYOND helpful, thanks!

3DS is shipping today, as soon as I get a tracking number, I'll start shopping amazon for discount good games (got an amazon giftcard). Definitely getting MH4.

Oh, Another, probably obvious question: US eshop cards don't work on japanese 3DS, right?

Meffer

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that will be BEYOND helpful, thanks!

3DS is shipping today, as soon as I get a tracking number, I'll start shopping amazon for discount good games (got an amazon giftcard). Definitely getting MH4.

Oh, Another, probably obvious question: US eshop cards don't work on japanese 3DS, right?

I take it that they wouldn't work, yeah.

Does anyone understand the deal with the free Bravely Default on eshop? It sounds like you get half the game for free, pay 2000 yen for the rest. I'm not sure I understand the catch (assuming there is one). Does it still have English language options?

Meffer

Does anyone understand the deal with the free Bravely Default on eshop? It sounds like you get half the game for free, pay 2000 yen for the rest. I'm not sure I understand the catch (assuming there is one). Does it still have English language options?
It has the first 4 chapters. After that, it's considered that the later half is the worst part of the game. At least up till the true ending anyway. I didn't mind it but I'm GREATFUL they put in the extra features since they make that part easier to handle. So it's up to you honestly. Sounds like a great deal.

I've been taking donations on my stream to get a Japanese 3DS w/ a capture device and Smash Bros early, while I'm streaming Pokemon XY. Up to $300 in a week, which is mind blowing for me, being a small channel.

The list of games I'm thinking I may get, as they seem playable without knowing any Japanese are:

1. Super Smash Bros for 3DS (Duh)
2. Beyond the Labyrinth (maybe?)
3. Retro Game Challenge 3
4. E.X. Planet
5. Project Mirai 1 / 2
6. Attack on Titan
7. Puzzle & Dragons Z
8. Puyo Puyo Tetris
9. Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to fushigina orb

Also, recently I ordered a newly released case from Play-Asia, because I friggin' love Kirby.

yRjGLoT.jpg

YSXl2dT.jpg

Koppai

I've been taking donations on my stream to get a Japanese 3DS w/ a capture device and Smash Bros early, while I'm streaming Pokemon XY. Up to $300 in a week, which is mind blowing for me, being a small channel.

The list of games I'm thinking I may get, as they seem playable without knowing any Japanese are:

4. E.X. Planet
5. Project Mirai 1 / 2
6. Attack on Titan
7. Puzzle & Dragons Z
8. Puyo Puyo Tetris

Also, recently I ordered a newly released case from Play-Asia, because I friggin' love Kirby.

yRjGLoT.jpg

YSXl2dT.jpg
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai Remix is coming to NA in 2015. It has all the songs from both games.

georly

4. E.X. Planet
5. Project Mirai 1 / 2
6. Attack on Titan
7. Puzzle & Dragons Z
8. Puyo Puyo Tetris

I heard retro game challenge wasn't all that good, totally lacked the charm from the first 2.

4. E.X. Planet
5. Project Mirai 1 / 2
6. Attack on Titan
7. Puzzle & Dragons Z
8. Puyo Puyo Tetris

yRjGLoT.jpg

YSXl2dT.jpg

I love the case you bought! Is it made of plastic, and does it feel sturdy?
I'm holding off on buying P&Dz, for the English release, and like someone else said, the West is getting Hatsune Miku next year.
I'm really tempted by this Taiko game though. I might splurge on that game also.
Mmmm puyo puyo Tetris sounds great.
All in all, I love your list.

I heard retro game challenge wasn't all that good, totally lacked the charm from the first 2.

Honestly, the most I got out of it was fanservice for the show (which, I mean, isn't necessarily that bad because there were some bits of it I enjoyed a lot, I just found the games themselves to be pretty dull). I haven't played the first 2 for comparison, unfortunately. I can't really recommend it on its merits as a game and would probably only say that big GCCX fans should consider it (and ones who can do at least a somewhat decent job of reading the text, at that).

Top Bottom