• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
My PS4 gets quite loud. Summer doesnt help, but it doesnt change the fact that summer or winter, my Xbox makes the same noise- none. My PS4 gets loud.

Well what do you expect with such a tiny package with the psu inside? It's going to make a bit of noise. It's getting hot here in Japan too, but I'd hardly call my ps4 a vacuum cleaner.

Kelsey

Banned
Well what do you expect with such a tiny package with the psu inside? It's going to make a bit of noise. It's getting hot here in Japan too, but I'd hardly call my ps4 a vacuum cleaner.

I was responding to a post that said smaller was a better design. It isn't in all regards. The bigger chassis of the Xbox One helps it remain silent regardless of heat. That, to me, is superior design.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I was responding to a post that said smaller was a better design. It isn't in all regards. The bigger chassis of the Xbox One helps it remain silent regardless of heat. That, to me, is superior design.

And (see my earlier post) the larger chassis of the Xbox one means that there's no place for it under any of my tvs. That, to me, is inferior design. Opinions man.

Kelsey

Banned
And (see my earlier post) the larger chassis of the Xbox one means that there's no place for it under any of my tvs. That, to me, is inferior design. Opinions man.

What's your problem? I responded to an opinion with an opinion. If you're just looking for a console war, go somewhere else. Holy shit, some people.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
What's your problem? I responded to an opinion with an opinion. If you're just looking for a console war, go somewhere else. Holy shit, some people.

I'm not looking for a console war. What on earth made you think that? Am I not also allowed to share my opinion? I just have a severe dislike for exaggeration, such as your vacuum cleaner comment.

Do you live in the zoolander school for kids?

Not sure I follow. Care to elaborate?

Kelsey

Banned
I finally made the move. Xbox One with Kinect ordered. It should get here some time next week.

Welcome to the fold. I was wondering how long it would take you to get one since you've seemed so excited by the console for as long as I've been reading this site. Did you get a good deal?

I'm not looking for a console war. What on earth made you think that? Am I not also allowed to share my opinion? I just have a severe dislike for exaggeration, such as your vacuum cleaner comment.

2 things: You have no idea how loud my PS4 gets. And you have no idea how loud my vacuum system is.

Nipo

Of course it is a preference. The Xbox One doesn't fit in any of the spaces left in my media center so to me until they release a slim version it might as well not exist. To people who have more space they might never even think that is a problem for some people.

geordiemp

Welcome to the fold. I was wondering how long it would take you to get one since you've seemed so excited by the console for as long as I've been reading this site. Did you get a good deal?

2 things: You have no idea how loud my PS4 gets. And you have no idea how loud my vacuum system is.

People might take your Ps4 negative comments more seriously if you posted your PSN in your profile. Otherwise it comes across, well....

Do you know how many people often post stuff like my console is great, the competitor console is collecting dust because of X or I sold it after a week. Its poor form.

And if you do have a Ps4, and a PSN ID, and your Ps4 is very loud even when game is fully installed and its not the BD drive, then send it to get fixed. I have 2 x Ps4 and they are both quiet.

madp0k

I do prefer the UI and the controller on the ps4 and thats where I play most of my games but the xbox is whisper quiet and I'm looking forward to playing some of the exclusives later in the year.

Most people will prefer one console over the other because of friends/controller/OS/support/+/live/graphics, there is no point trying to change peoples minds, only them themselves can change their own opinions. Its a great time to be a gamer, just enjoy it and let other people enjoy what they want

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Implied-Facepalm.jpg

So either you have a (possibly) defective PS4, or you have the world's quietest vacuum cleaner. Care to share what kind of vacuum you have, as my cat is terrified of the noise my vacuum makes.

Kelsey

Banned
Implied-Facepalm.jpg

So either you have a (possibly) defective PS4, or you have the world's quietest vacuum cleaner. Care to share what kind of vacuum you have, as my cat is terrified of the noise my vacuum makes.

It's built into the house. It doesn't produce the kind of volume that you have to scream over. A better comparison would be to the fan noise of the Elite 360s. Obtrusive but not overwhelming. It's loud enough that I prefer to play with my Sony Golds on instead. Wasn't a problem at all until Summer came. I was surprised that the Xbox One didn't do the same thing, but that's probably one of the reasons they went with the bigger chassis and bigger fan.

Bought a xbox one in January for Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall. Enjoyed DR3 but the Titanfall beta convinced me that the game was not worth a purchase.
There is nothing in the forseeable future that interests me at all for the Xbox One.
The gamepad isnt bad but is a very clear step back from the Xbox 360 and Dualshock 4 gamepads. The kinect is useless, and I have no interest in the tv guide features.
I recently upgraded my pc, and am considering selling the Xbox One to recoup some of the costs of the pc upgrades.
I should have known better than to buy the One, it was an impulse buy, my own fault for not thinking it through more.

beercr8te

Banned
Welcome to the party OP, I'm loving both my PS4 and Xbone, picked up the Xbone 3 weeks ago and have been enjoying the UI, controller and kinect, although I prefer the simplicity of the PS4 UI.

Having family being able to share my gold subscription on the box is a big plus for me.

Haven't many games for the Xbone yet but will be picking up Master cheif collection and maybe a few MP games rather than on PS4 just to game with my relatives and friends.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, I was in no real rush. Anyway, I just nabbed a deal on Amazon Marketplace for $450. I probably should have looked around and scored a Titanfall bundle for a similar price, but it's all good. Just glad I am getting one.

leobebes

Banned
I see a smattering of folks on here who dislike the X1's OS. I wish they'd explain why, because I couldn't imagine multitasking on a console without the Xbox One's UI.

I can go from Ryse to Netflix to T.V. to Titanfall to YouTube and then back to Ryse in a matter of 8 seconds. Snapping the world cup while playing a game of NBA 2k14 is fun as hell too.

From an anecdotal standpoint, and from the group of my friends, the ones who complain about the Xbox One's UI are usually the less tech savvy ones (not trying to denigrate either). The UI does take a little getting used to, cause' the thing does a shit ton more than what you were capable of doing on the 360.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I prefer a simple UI as opposed to a cluttered one, which I feel the X1's is.
I'm just starting out with the Snap function and it's cool. I don't care to flip back and forth watching TV, or doing four other functions. If anything I grab my phone if I want to engage in some social feature.

So for me simple and clean wins out. I want easy navigation.
I go into the Xbox store and it's best selling, most popular, newest, etc. how about an option to view all? There is none!

I'm sure Microsoft will update its UI and then everyone who liked the current layout will be saying how much better the new style is.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I see a smattering of folks on here who dislike the X1's OS. I wish they'd explain why, because I couldn't imagine multitasking on a console without the Xbox One's UI.

I can go from Ryse to Netflix to T.V. to Titanfall to YouTube and then back to Ryse in a matter of 8 seconds. Snapping the world cup while playing a game of NBA 2k14 is fun as hell too.

From an anecdotal standpoint, and from the group of my friends, the ones who complain about the Xbox One's UI are usually the less tech savvy ones (not trying to denigrate either). The UI does take a little getting used to, cause' the thing does a shit ton more than what you were capable of doing on the 360.
I don't like it because it's a sluggish series of blocks, menus and submenus that is obviously intended to utilize a camera I don't care about. Totally counterintuitive and a step back from the 360's UI, I feel.

Kelsey

Banned

The OS isn't the problem. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the PS4's. It's the UI integration with the OS that I find to be a problem. At times it's slow, and things I used to do quite easily on 360 by simply pressing the gem are now separated out into their own apps. I get why they do that, but there's no reason they can't make an app that displays the same info the 360 used to do with the touch of one button. The other thing that's drastically different between PS4 and XB1 is what information is getting surfaced. On PS4 it's immediately clear when you get a new update and what it was for, and then once it's installed you're just a button press away from seeing exactly what that update added to the game or app. Cloud saves are also much much easier to manage on PS4 than on XB1.

I love my Xbox but i have some issues with it that make it kind of a pain to use.

A lot of the time I will go to play a game and the app or whatever i'm going to play will hang. I go back to the dashboard, quit it and restart the app and it still does it. Last night I tried to play Guacamelee but it was stuck on the "loading saved game" for 5 minutes before I gave up and tried to play Dead Rising 3. I tried to play that and after I pressed A to start, it didn't do anything. The only thing that made everything work again was unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in.

I also have issues with party chat where when I start the party chat, my headset doesn't work unless I unplug and plug it back in 3 or 4 times. Pretty annoying.

Exaggerate much? It's not silent, but it is a quiet system.
My PS4 is pretty loud. Not vacuum loud, but I can hear it over my game volume pretty much all the time. Using a disc makes the thing even louder.
Also Xbox has no games! Lol
Neither of the consoles have any games as far as exclusives go [all I am playing them for], and the few exclusives they have were pretty mediocre.

Of course it is a preference. The Xbox One doesn't fit in any of the spaces left in my media center so to me until they release a slim version it might as well not exist. To people who have more space they might never even think that is a problem for some people.

my place is very tiny
I have a room which includes a kitchenette

but I have a 42 inch tv
and next to it a microwave stand I converted to hold all 4 of my consoles
And I still have room below my TV.. cable box is there
and my big battery back up things
its in how you design your small spaces, and I have a second tv 32 inch next to the other one

no excuse to me, to say its too big
my huge cable box is almost twice the size of my xbox

yes I have xbox one on top of the microwave stand
ps3
ps4
bottom xbox 360
lots of cords

and if I had any idea of how to take pics and post them I would
show me your room, and I can show you how to make it work
if you really want something, you will always find a way

I also have 200 xbox games on the wall next to that

Kelsey

Banned
How can it be easier than 'don't do anything' ?

Not doing anything isn't managing saves. It's the opposite of managing them. If I save something locally on PS4 and then decide I don't want that version going to the cloud, I can handle it myself. If there's a way to do it on Xbox One, I haven't found it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My PS4 is pretty loud. Not vacuum loud, but I can hear it over my game volume pretty much all the time. Using a disc makes the thing even louder.

You do realize every game does a full install? So other than a short disc check, no game plays from a disc...

leobebes

Banned
The OS isn't the problem. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the PS4's. It's the UI integration with the OS that I find to be a problem. At times it's slow, and things I used to do quite easily on 360 by simply pressing the gem are now separated out into their own apps. I get why they do that, but there's no reason they can't make an app that displays the same info the 360 used to do with the touch of one button. The other thing that's drastically different between PS4 and XB1 is what information is getting surfaced. On PS4 it's immediately clear when you get a new update and what it was for, and then once it's installed you're just a button press away from seeing exactly what that update added to the game or app. Cloud saves are also much much easier to manage on PS4 than on XB1.

I do remember certain apps being slower in January, but since the update after Titanfall, I haven't noticed any of my apps being sluggish or slow. It could be on an anecdotal, individual basis, so I don't know. Specific examples would certainly help me understand what's slower on the X1 than on the 360. Because from my personal experience, the UI seems to do everything much quicker.

I love the new snap achievement feature, for example. I can pin the achievement I'm going after at the top of the list, making it much much quicker than the 360 if you're hunting achievements.

The reason I'm asking for examples is to make sure if it is a widespread complaint, due to the nature of how the OS was designed in order to make upgrades/changes to the OS based on quick crowdsourcing of of user feedback (like the new feedback app they've added to the beta).

Kelsey

Banned
I do remember certain apps being slower in January, but since the update after Titanfall, I haven't noticed any of my apps being sluggish or slow. It could be on an anecdotal, individual basis, so I don't know. Specific examples would certainly help me understand what's slower on the X1 than on the 360. Because from my personal experience, the UI seems to do everything much quicker.

I love the new snap achievement feature, for example. I can pin the achievement I'm going after at the top of the list, making it much much quicker than the 360 if you're hunting achievements.

The reason I'm asking for examples is to make sure if it is a widespread complaint, due to the nature of how the OS was designed in order to make upgrades/changes to the OS based on quick crowdsourcing of of user feedback (like the new feedback app they've added to the beta).

I was mainly referring to the ability on 360 to press one button and immediately have access to who is online, my achievements, my awards, my download queue etc etc. And it leaves the game on the screen in the background, whereas on Xbox One the game pretty much disappears if I want to do anything else. I use my Xbox without Kinect, so I'm sure some of what I find longer to do would be much quicker with voice support. My hope is that MS will add head-set based voice commands.

Foshy

While the Xbox One is certainly very silent when playing, it does make some (quiet, but still) noise when turned off/in standby, which my PS4 doesn't. I have it in my room, so it's been annoying me when trying to sleep, to the point where I had to plug it out.

I don't know about "better design", because of that. When you're playing, you're less likely to notice your console's noise, with the exception of the fat PS3 which was a fucking jet engine.

kodecraft

The Xbox One is definitely a great system, I think a lot of gamers ran out and got the PS4 because of graphical power, but Xbox One as an all around entertainment hub is what i want in a device.

I see PS4 owners now ALSO Xbox One owners see this.

You're not late OP, but welcome to the party.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

But the game still runs from the hard drive... Whenever I play a disc based game, the disc drive fires up at the beginning, but after a minute or two it stops.

I have the white Destiny PS4 preordered, but I'm definitely interested in both consoles. I'm tired of wondering which version of multiplatform games is better on which console which is why I'm getting a gaming PC for that front, but I like owning just about everything and both consoles are going to end up with great exclusives.

Destiny is kind of the big thing though for me this year, so I'm just wondering if we have any idea what the difference is between the PS4/Xbox One version at this point as that could be the deciding factor (for me). Also not a fan of the PS4 controller. I think its ugly and the analog sticks are too slippery to me.

Nipo

my place is very tiny
I have a room which includes a kitchenette

but I have a 42 inch tv
and next to it a microwave stand I converted to hold all 4 of my consoles
And I still have room below my TV.. cable box is there
and my big battery back up things
its in how you design your small spaces, and I have a second tv 32 inch next to the other one

my huge cable box is almost twice the size of my xbox

yes I have xbox one on top of the microwave stand
ps3
ps4
bottom xbox 360
lots of cords

and if I had any idea of how to take pics and post them I would
if you really want something, you will always find a way

I also have 200 xbox games on the wall next to that

I'm sure if I bought a new media center, or completely rearranged my living room I could get it to fit.

As it stands now I have enough room for a vertical PS4, my router, ATV3, and sound bar. I put tremendous value on having no wires or visual clutter in my house is also part of it.

Even with those restrictions there is just enough room on the right side of my TV for a vertical xbox one and I'll pick one up as soon as they release a redesign made to stand that way.

I too just grabbed a xbox one to complete my "next gen" collection. The first one i grabbed had a problem with the fan...but i noticed something with the controllers. The first one that had the defect, the bumpers wouldnt allows me too press on them on the inside of the bumper. Exchanged the xbox one and got a second one, it doesn't matter where i press on the bumper it clicks and registers no problem. Did they fix the non clicky part on the bumpers recently?

Edit: long story short I remember people saying you couldn't use the WHOLE bumper and that was the case with the first controller, second one I can press anywhere on the bumper and it works.

Kelsey

Banned
While the Xbox One is certainly very silent when playing, it does make some (quiet, but still) noise when turned off/in standby, which my PS4 doesn't. I have it in my room, so it's been annoying me when trying to sleep, to the point where I had to plug it out.

I don't know about "better design", because of that. When you're playing, you're less likely to notice your console's noise, with the exception of the fat PS3 which was a fucking jet engine.

Odd, my PS3 was silent. My original 360 though. God damn.

Both my PS4 and XB1 make noise in standby mode. It's not much of a noise, but they both do it. Just a whirring sound.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
My PS4 gets quite loud. Summer doesnt help, but it doesnt change the fact that summer or winter, my Xbox makes the same noise- none. My PS4 gets loud.

First time I ever heard my PS4 was while playing Watch_Dogs, which isn't even a good looking game (So I blame Ubisoft for making it run like isht). Otherwise, mine has been silent as can be.

jem0208

Bought a xbox one in January for Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall. Enjoyed DR3 but the Titanfall beta convinced me that the game was not worth a purchase.
There is nothing in the forseeable future that interests me at all for the Xbox One.
The gamepad isnt bad but is a very clear step back from the Xbox 360 and Dualshock 4 gamepads. The kinect is useless, and I have no interest in the tv guide features.
I recently upgraded my pc, and am considering selling the Xbox One to recoup some of the costs of the pc upgrades.
I should have known better than to buy the One, it was an impulse buy, my own fault for not thinking it through more.

Huh? I'd say it's a massive step forward from the 360 pad and its too different to the ps4 pad to be properly compared as it basically comes down to personal opinion.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
*snip*
*snip*
*snip*

See... Here's the thing. I have a wife, and as much as your solution would work, it's her home too and I can't clutter it up with a makeshift ikea nightmare. Also, I have a cat who would just love a nice xbox to lie on (and possibly destroy, seeing as it has top vents.

You say that there's "no excuse", but you're forgetting that other people have different shit going on in their life. I've been in your situation before and had a huge halfstack marshall blocking the view of the tv from the left seat on my couch because I just didn't have anywhere else to put it. As it is right now, there is literally no room next to any of my tvs, and I'm not about to go out and buy new furniture again as I already have a very nice tv unit. Now if MS were to introduce another sku capable of sitting vertically, then I'd be interested.

That is correct but also:

True, but as Hulu Japan has yet to make a PS4 app, my ps3 is my goto Hulu/blu ray/dvd player... And having said that, my ps3 is a lot louder than the ps4 when playing dvds/blu rays.

Tambini

I'm almost certainly going to get an xbox one when the halo collection comes out but if there's a sunset overdrive bundle I might bite sooner.

Didn't think I'd own all 3 next gen systems so soon >.<

Top Bottom