• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

I got one recently too, for my son as he is more used to the Xbox brand.

It's a nice console but if you already own a PS4 there aren't many reasons to have one currently.

The OS is slow too for my tastes and the installation process is a chore and should be their No.1 priority in their upgrades list.

Having to change batteries is also a chore after being used to the PS3/PS4 controllers, i don't have a problem with the PS4 battery life but i do get annoyed every time my son needs to replace his controllers batteries and i have to look for rechargables, check if they're actually charged and whatnot.

I can understand people having different opinions about the UI, the games, the controller, etc, but I'm really surprised that people prefer the battery solution for the PS4.

1. The PS4 controller battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as a pair of the eneloops that I use for the Xbox.
2. If I'm not paying attention - or have a long session - and the PS4 controller battery dies, I have to plug it in and charge it with that short ass USB cable, which essentially ends my playing session. Sure, I can get a longer cable that I drape across my living room, but I really prefer having a wireless controller.
3. If the Xbox battery dies while I'm playing, I pop in my extra eneloops and I'm good to go. It literally takes about 5-10 seconds longer to do that than to plug in the PS4 controller, and I'm not restricted in any way.

Sanpei

I can understand people having different opinions about the UI, the games, the controller, etc, but I'm really surprised that people prefer the battery solution for the PS4.

1. The PS4 controller battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as a pair of the eneloops that I use for the Xbox.
2. If I'm not paying attention - or have a long session - and the PS4 controller battery dies, I have to plug it in and charge it with that short ass USB cable, which essentially ends my playing session. Sure, I can get a longer cable that I drape across my living room, but I really prefer having a wireless controller.
3. If the Xbox battery dies while I'm playing, I pop in my extra eneloops and I'm good to go. It literally takes about 5-10 seconds longer to do that than to plug in the PS4 controller, and I'm not restricted in any way.

Totally agree with that...As a comparison, i have finished 2 games (Ryse and Max), and played Fifa 14 for hours, my XO battery died then

But when i play with my PS4 controller, it lasts only 6 or 7 hours max...It's failure...

XO controller's triggers are better also...It has better quality in general

ironcreed

Banned
I sampled both controllers and instantly loved the Xbox One controller more. That tread around the edges of the sticks feels amazing and I also am glad that they loosened the sticks up a tad. The stiffness is one of the things that I never liked about the 360 controller. Huge improvement overall and I am anxious to start putting mine to work.

Azzurri

I hated the DS3 controller, but the DS4 is way better and I like it, that being said the X1 controller is awesome.

GoldenA

Yeah I got used to (and preferred) the X1 controller pretty quickly. The DS4 is very good too though.

I've enjoyed my xbox so far. However yesterday was the first time I was able to demo the kinect and not look stupid. Normally I always ended up saying "it works when I'm on my own, I swear!"

Alx

Not doing anything isn't managing saves. It's the opposite of managing them. If I save something locally on PS4 and then decide I don't want that version going to the cloud, I can handle it myself. If there's a way to do it on Xbox One, I haven't found it.

well the point of cloud storage is that you don't have to bother whether a file is local or not. Manually synchronizing saves is more disabling the cloud than managing it. And from my experience, it can be a pain and frequently causes version conflicts.
The x1 is handling cloud saving as it should : everything is in the cloud, it will synchronize in the background, you don't have to touch anything. What it does not do correctly is allowing multiple saves, though (which wouldn't contradict cloud saving), since most games only let you have one save per profile.

HINN

Banned
Does the xbox one need to be on to watch tv (i.e. utilize the HDMI pass through)?

The One is the boss of your living room. I was just thinking that damn the X1 has just commandeered my tv.

Also, the difference in graphics this gen is marginal and the "Titanfall is ugly" comment I see alot makes me believe those who use it have 0 credibility. It's a great console that sneakily takes over your living room. MS are quite clever for doing this. When more people get better tvs and the price of the kinect version drops, I expect X1 to easily be the console of choice.
In th U.S.

My only gripe is there's no Hardwood Spades, Domino Master, or Fullhouse Poker. The 360 camera made HS & DM a must. Somebody needs to develop the X1 ASAP

Kelsey

Banned
well the point of cloud storage is that you don't have to bother whether a file is local or not. Manually synchronizing saves is more disabling the cloud than managing it. And from my experience, it can be a pain and frequently causes version conflicts.
The x1 is handling cloud saving as it should : everything is in the cloud, it will synchronize in the background, you don't have to touch anything. What it does not do correctly is allowing multiple saves, though (which wouldn't contradict cloud saving), since most games only let you have one save per profile.
PS4 does it all automatically as well, but it also gives you control if you want it. That is my personal preference but I can see where others would prefer MS' hands off approach.

Padinn

I picked up my Xbox One Titanfall bundle from Ebay ($440), completing my 8th gen console collection. Likely trading Titanfall as I have it on PC, what do folks think of Forza 5?

Pretty much only interested in that and dead rising at the moment. Is the bestbuy $40 on deadrisign this week a good deal? (I would get it for $32 or so with GCU)

Probably need to find a cheap place to pick up a Gold Subscription for a year.

Syrus

Banned
I picked up my Xbox One Titanfall bundle from Ebay ($440), completing my 8th gen console collection. Likely trading Titanfall as I have it on PC, what do folks think of Forza 5?

Pretty much only interested in that and dead rising at the moment. Is the bestbuy $40 on deadrisign this week a good deal? (I would get it for $32 or so with GCU)

32$ is decent otherwise check out ebay even if used.

try titanfall first though. a lot bigger community on X1

Grisby

I like Forza 5. I'm not the biggest car car but the driving feels really good to a casual like me. They've reworked the credit balance and have added two free tracks since launch. The game looks nice and the online is pretty fun.

Just joined this party as well. Wife got me just a standard Xbox One with Kinect and wasn't really aware of any deals or bundles. Is there a less than full price way of getting Titanfall? What should I wait for when it comes to Live deals?

Huh? I'd say it's a massive step forward from the 360 pad and its too different to the ps4 pad to be properly compared as it basically comes down to personal opinion.

The 360 pad is more comfortable for me. Bumpers suck now on the Xbox One pad and the d-pad still blows.
Also the 360 had an accessory charging tower that held two battery packs that you simply swapped on the 360 pad when the battery got low - has anything like this been released for Xbox One ?

Kaydan

Banned
The 360 pad is more comfortable for me. Bumpers suck now on the Xbox One pad and the d-pad still blows.
Also the 360 had an accessory charging tower that held two battery packs that you simply swapped on the 360 pad when the battery got low - has anything like this been released for Xbox One ?
I got this thing:
http://m.gamestop.com/catalog/product/111588

It's awesome. Comes with two packs of rechargeable batteries good for two controllers. The batteries last forever even if you forget to charge it. Can't recommend it enough.

As for the bumpers, try hitting them on the side with the middle of your fingers instead of at the top with your fingertips. It changes everything.

Why is everyone so hung up about the video game console's OS? Remember when consoles didn't have an OS and just showed a black screen when a game was not inserted?

Like a lot of people in this thread, I dislike a lot of the UI on the One. The pins are nice but not enough to make it usable. Wish they made a blu tooth (or something that doesn't need line of site) remote for blurays and net flicks.

Alcander

What is amazing to me most so far about the XB1 is how it has adjusted the way I interact with my entire AV setup that I could never imagine going back to a multi-input setup.

Also, voice commands to jump directly to a TV channel from a game/app/etc is godly.

I like Forza 5. I'm not the biggest car car but the driving feels really good to a casual like me. They've reworked the credit balance and have added two free tracks since launch. The game looks nice and the online is pretty fun.

Actually, they've added three free tracks: Road America, Long Beach and Nürburgring.

My living room Xbox gets HDCP problems with my u-verse box. But hey thank god for HDCP because now people can't pirate TV shows at all. So... I said fuck it, and went back to the direct connect approach. But now Jesse Pinkman randomly turns on my Xbox.

A lot of the features are nice, and I'm learning to like them, but the TV thing barely works, and the console in general crashes too much, and the interface is still too laggy. It's getting better, but it was launched in an embarrassing state. Say what you will about OG Xbox interface, and the original Xbox 360 blades, but to my recollection they were actually functional!

Alx

Wish they made a blu tooth (or something that doesn't need line of site) remote for blurays and net flicks.

You can use smartglass, the latest version includes a full-featured DVR remote, and it will work from anywhere as long as you're connected to your local network.

One protip I can give is to NEVER play a digital download before it is at 100% downloaded and installed

Of the 3 games I own digitally I have had to re-download 2 them to keep them from crashing/hanging.

You sure your system is okay?

Of the 9 digital games I've downloaded, none have given me probs like you described. When I get to 20%, it allows me to start playing the game.

HINN

Banned
Probably. It is still in Beta on Windows Phone. I imagine it will be some time yet before it comes to X1.

Wow! I just checked some youtube vids on the windows phone beta. If, MS can incorporate Cortana throughout our homes that would be awesome. I expect a massive overhaul of the xb1 UI when she becomes available, like when they redid the dashboard on 360. Boy were people freaking out then.

MS DO NOT FUCKUP CORTANA for X1!!!

ironcreed

Banned
Time to get down to business.

d7bfIZXl.jpg

Sydle

Like a lot of people in this thread, I dislike a lot of the UI on the One. The pins are nice but not enough to make it usable. Wish they made a blu tooth (or something that doesn't need line of site) remote for blurays and net flicks.

Have you tried SmartGlass?

ironcreed

Banned
If you're looking for a copy of Forza 5 digitally, let me know. I got a few digital codes left I would be willing to negotiate.

I actually have it on order from Gamefly for $20. I appreciate the offer, though.

On a side note I just got everything unpacked and am about to do the set up. While I have felt the controller before, this is my first time holding the system itself and being up close and personal with it. Man, this thing is a beast... a classy and premium looking beast. They were not messing around when they made this thing. I like it.

Hawk269

What is amazing to me most so far about the XB1 is how it has adjusted the way I interact with my entire AV setup that I could never imagine going back to a multi-input setup.

Also, voice commands to jump directly to a TV channel from a game/app/etc is godly.

All of that and the way the suspend function works. Not long ago, was playing Forza, wife wanted to watch a movie with dinner, so I say "Xbox go to Netflix". We eat and watch our movie and when it is over, she says she is going to do dishes and I say cool, going to play Forza and tell the Xbox as the movie credits roll "Xbox Go To Forza Motorsport 5" and boom I am back to my game, paused in the middle of the race and playing instantly without re-loading or anything.

The ability to bounce from one thing to the other and then to another and back to your game is so easy and quick that it amazes me that people that have such a hatred for the Kinect is missing out just out of spite.

I tried Forza briefly at a GameStop kiosk and thought it was incredibly sweet, especially liked the feel of the Rumble in the triggers, really adds to the experience. I plan to get one sometime next year probably, it will be a nice addition to my Wii U and PS4. I owned all 3 systems last Gen and look forward to doing so again.

m23

I actually have it on order from Gamefly for $20. I appreciate the offer, though.

On a side note I just got everything unpacked and am about to do the set up. While I have felt the controller before, this is my first time holding the system itself and being up close and personal with it. Man, this thing is a beast... a classy and premium looking beast. They were not messing around when they made this thing. I like it.

Great price for Forza.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, I am all set up without a hitch and have been messing around with voice commands. It has recognized me no problem so far and it actually feels pretty amazing navigating the system and changing channels with my voice. Installing Ryse right now and that is pretty much going to be the main event for me tonight.

Top Bottom