• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Somehow imessage is not synching to my iphone :(
It's weird. It treats messages sent to your email address and phone number as different, even though they're both associated with the same Apple ID and they're both using iMessage. I sent a message to a friend on the Mac client and conversations with that person are now synced, but not retrospectively. It seems slightly inconsistent to me.

On the iPhone, it seems like iMessage is integrated with SMS/MMS so that you don't have to consider which is which, but you do once you move to the iPad or OS X versions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Messages beta not working properly for anyone else? I tried sending a message to an iMessage contact, he didn't receive it. He sent me a message back from his phone, my phone got it but not my Mac. Sent a message to him from my phone, his phone got it, but again, nothing with my Mac. Also tried to Facetime him from Messages and no dice. Tried both his email and his phone number.

Accounts match in all cases (My messages account is same as my iMessage account, his contact says iMessage next to it as it autocompletes, etc)

mclaren777

I literally just got this yesterday...

ibu3lI8fyJRvd6.jpg

Well 10.9 must be the last big cat update right? Mac OS XI has to be named after a different type of thing, right?

Computer numbering. There can be a 10.10.

Also, nothing is stopping Apple from calling it OS X 11.0. Hey, "Windows 7" is actually 6.1, and "Windows 8" is 6.3.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Also Safari now has an omnibox, similar to Chrome, i.e. you can use the same text field to search and enter URLs.

EDIT: Oh, and by default you can only download apps from the Mac App Store. Welcome to the sandbox.

I don't believe that. Too many applications not available on the store

LCfiner

Can some of you guys that are opposed to iOS/OSX merging explain why you're against it? I personally love some of the small features of iOS and would like some ported over to my MacBook.

sharing ideas is one thing and that's OK. Merging the two OSes into one OS doesn't really benefit any one product

Each OS and device is better when it's tailored specifically for one type of hardware and interaction method. Hamstringing Macs with the limitations of iOS would make Macs worse.

Dumping all the memory requirements and complexity of Mac OS onto iOS would make iPhones and iPads worse.

nickcv

Can some of you guys that are opposed to iOS/OSX merging explain why you're against it? I personally love some of the small features of iOS and would like some ported over to my MacBook.

everything is fine as long as you are not really a power user...

take spaces vs mission control:

i have all my IDE on space 5
browsers for testing on space 4
terminal, ftp, git on space 6

browsing on space 1
messaging apps on space 2
mails on space 3

i love having my grid and i want all my apps always organized in the same order, so that when i need something i just hit two keys on my keyboard and i get to what i need (i just use the keyboard for 90% of my time, no mouse at all, just the touchpad to click on website links... on my ide or other apps i use for work i just use keyboard shortcuts)

in mission control those are aligned and not in a grid, and for what i know after playing around with mission control on lion you cannot really force the system to always open said app on desktop X (but i really hope one of you guys can make me eat crow so that i don't have to fear upgrading).

semplification is fine for normal users, but i want and i need the option.
some of the decisions apple is taking with lion are just making my workflow worse (ie: no keyboard shortcut for the new notification center in ML, just a gesture or the click of the mouse).

easy to use and few options for the average joe? great! offer an additional option pannel for those of us who have more intricate workflows and need something extra.

To just say it in one sentece "we, pro users, are afraid that apple forgot about us"

ps: sorry about my english >.<

Garou

According to http://pastebin.com/Q5yishhi

System Requirements
OS X Mountain Lion requires a Mac with a 64-bit kernel. Mountain Lion supports the following Mac models:
• iMac (mid 2007 or later)
• MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
• Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
• Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
• Xserve (Early 2009)

Pctx

Banned
Has Apple said anything about when they're moving off OS X onto a newer platform? I'm still running SL on my 2006 MBP as I didn't see a whole lot of features worth for it for us to upgrade. Looks like Mountain Lion will have some good ones though.

It's weird. It treats messages sent to your email address and phone number as different, even though they're both associated with the same Apple ID and they're both using iMessage. I sent a message to a friend on the Mac client and conversations with that person are now synced, but not retrospectively. It seems slightly inconsistent to me.

On the iPhone, it seems like iMessage is integrated with SMS/MMS so that you don't have to consider which is which, but you do once you move to the iPad or OS X versions.

Messages beta not working properly for anyone else? I tried sending a message to an iMessage contact, he didn't receive it. He sent me a message back from his phone, my phone got it but not my Mac. Sent a message to him from my phone, his phone got it, but again, nothing with my Mac. Also tried to Facetime him from Messages and no dice. Tried both his email and his phone number.

Accounts match in all cases (My messages account is same as my iMessage account, his contact says iMessage next to it as it autocompletes, etc)

Somehow imessage is not synching to my iphone :(

Probably why they took it down???

Downloaded the Messages beta but my buddies list is blank and the configure accounts/preferences options are grayed out. What am I missing?

LCfiner

Has Apple said anything about when they're moving off OS X onto a newer platform? I'm still running SL on my 2006 MBP as I didn't see a whole lot of features worth for it for us to upgrade. Looks like Mountain Lion will have some good ones though.

They haven't said anything about moving off OS X. Not sure why you would think they would mention that at all...

They just announced 10.8 today

Tuck

iMessage on OSX? Fuck yes!

This sort of came out of no where. I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So it created two conversations for the same contact.
a) Phone=>Phone
b) Imac=>Phone

:/

At least it suddenly started to synchronise ... would have been nice to have every conversation downloaded on the mac retrospectively.

OS X is a mature platform with modern APIs. There's no need to move off it quite yet. All it needs is stuff like a new file system.

Xater

This actually looks like a cool upgrade. Hope Apple prices it cheaply though. If they are doing these upgrade so fast they should. But they are a clever bunch and they already showed that they can do it with Snow Leopard.

Pctx

Banned
OS X is a mature platform with modern APIs. There's no need to move off it quite yet. All it needs is stuff like a new file system.

Well I remember them talking about ZFS+ I believe a few years back but seems like nothing has come of it.... yet. Oh well, ML looks good. Guessing it will still be $29 bucks or do we have to wait for more info?

kaskade

Wow, I thought the post was a joke when I saw the title.

Imagine if that's how the announce the iPad 3. Just put it up on the website and you can order it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope this fixes my wifi problem on my macbook pro.

Arcteryx

Definitely holding off on this one. I didn't see anything worth upgrading to Lion for (from SL), don't see anything this time around either.

As for the whole "merging OSX with iOS": I'm just not a huge fan of Apples mentality lately of "if you liked it on the iPad, it's now on your Mac" (just check out the page for this new update, that phrasing shows up QUITE a few times).

I have an iPhone. I have an iPad. There are reasons why I use them and why I don't. It just seems silly to me to start adding stuff from one system to the other, just based solely on the fact that "you liked it on the iPad".

tl;dr: I think its great that Apple is trying to improve certain aspects of OSX (notes especially), but I think doing it under the guise of "you liked it on the iPad" is the wrong approach.

upandaway

I don't need Reminders since I have the infinitely better Things
I don't need Notes since I have the infinitely better Evernote
(and both sync with iOS already)

I mean I'll upgrade, but y'know, it's like if I ever wanted those things I could just buy an iPhone. I don't need doubles of them, except maybe for Notification Center.

I'm all for simplifying UI and doing smart action shortcuts, but they're kinda going the wrong way about the iOS and OS X merging.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
If Rosetta doesn't return I'm sticking with Snow Leopard.

Heck I keep around an old iMac I can still boot into OS9, so I'm funny like that.

noah111

Still Alive
Cheetah was 10.0 :p
Damnit!

Definitely holding off on this one. I didn't see anything worth upgrading to Lion for (from SL), don't see anything this time around either.

As for the whole "merging OSX with iOS": I'm just not a huge fan of Apples mentality lately of "if you liked it on the iPad, it's now on your Mac" (just check out the page for this new update, that phrasing shows up QUITE a few times).

I have an iPhone. I have an iPad. There are reasons why I use them and why I don't. It just seems silly to me to start adding stuff from one system to the other, just based solely on the fact that "you liked it on the iPad".

tl;dr: I think its great that Apple is trying to improve certain aspects of OSX (notes especially), but I think doing it under the guise of "you liked it on the iPad" is the wrong approach.
What exactly are you waiting for? What would make you actually upgrade? Lion was substantial to me, I can't imagine going back, and this looks like it'll be the same.

I find it almost hard to believe that you have an iPhone and an iPad and cannot appreciate the reminders, notes, game center, messages and general cloud syncing that this offers.

It enriches the ecosystem in a way that, if you're part of the ecosystem (which you are) then you are the one who benefits.

I don't see it as adding features just for the sake of it; they offer tangible solutions to things people want to do on their Macs.

noah111

Still Alive
Phone is setup for:
- Phone number
- My email
- My Apple ID (which is not my primary email)

Mac is setup for:
- My email
- My Apple ID
Does the beta offer group chat support across iMessage? I'd like to try it out, all I need is peoples Apple ID's, right? Anyone up to trying it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom