• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macy's New York City flagship store accused of racially profiling Asian customers

That's the mildest word I can think of at this point of time. So poster ask why the hell would a store not want to sell things to a specific race of customers and the first thought that comes to you is scalpers? Really?
And you went on to claim since it's limited edition it's even more immoral and all that shit. You really don't see the problem here?

He didn't ask why they wouldn't want to sell to a specific race. He asked why they wouldn't want to sell it to every person possible. Do I really have to quote his post again? He wasn't the only one that asked it, either. So drop the "you're defending racism" schtick.

BHK3

Banned
I worked at macs for a few years, and will say Asian customers coming in buying things on masse is true, mainly because they told me themselves :p but yea management wouldn't care, we'd moved heaven and earth for them. My best customers were Korean, would buy insane amounts of tabletop stuff that would otherwise never sell.

MikeyB

It's okay, they'd get better deals from Asia, where those items are likely made anyway.

Best wishes.

Luxury items are typically more expensive/not available in China. Thus, daigou.

The same thing happens with cars. Luxury cars are cheaper so they get bought by an agent and shipped.

Retailers give a shit because they get to carry a line based on vendor/manufacturer agreements that typically restrict selling the good to the end user. Financial penalties get applied.

Looking for "Asians" is profiling and flat out stupid, but looking for mandarin speakers buying things based on a list without trying it on/test driving is probably pretty accurate.

Rmagnus

Banned
He didn't ask why they wouldn't want to sell to a specific race. He asked why they wouldn't want to sell it to every person possible. Do I really have to quote his post again? He wasn't the only one that asked it, either. So drop the "you're defending racism" schtick.

Lol so did Macy didn't want to sell to everyone or a specific race or do you not understand the context of the thread. Tbh I don't even think you are trying to defend racism more like defend yourself by pretending to care about this case just so that you can link scalpers to what Macy is doing which frankly just as disgusting

Lol so did Macy didn't want to sell to everyone or a specific race or do you not understand the context of the thread. Tbh I don't even think you are trying to defend racism more like defend yourself by pretending to care about this case just so that you can link scalpers to what Macy is doing which frankly just as disgusting

Because it's a policy directed against scalpers. It is completely relevant. Christ, I'm done here.

How would that business model even work.
Wouldn't similar items be significantly cheaper in Asia? And then the cost of transportation and everything, how would they profit?
No, most things in more developing countries are significantly more money than their home countries after exchange rates. Think about how video game prices are across countries, and this is more expensive items so the gap is much wider. Many stick up while they're here because it's cheaper.

How do you know that these customers are from Asia and aren't Americans?
You've apparently never been to NY if you think the majority of the Asian customers buying multiple handbags or thousands of dollars in cosmetics are American.

Top Bottom