• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Early Copies Impressions

Drazgul

Heh, well, this basically sums up everything I've said in one of threads earlier this week - Mafia II is a lot better in this regard.

That's because in Mafia 2 there's absolutely nothing to do between the missions. And it sucked, a missed opportunity with the city.

Tovarisc

How was PC performance for Mafia 2 at launch? That's the only thing making me wait on this, otherwise I'd probably have pre-ordered.

It ran really well since day 1 as long you disabled PhysX.

Edit: Is exploring e.g. GTAV's world anymore rewarding than what Mafia 3 sounds like? Granted I'm only 10h into GTAV, but outside of story missions world seems pointless and dead.

Tovarisc

I'm running a 970 and the PhysX on Mafia 2 STILL run like shit

Mafia 2 uses PhysX basically in everything from shoelaces to bullets to every single particle of debris you create with gunfire. It was and still kinda is showcase of what extensive use of PhysX can do to games appearance from physics angle. Without dedicated PhysX GPU you are in for rough times when it comes to performance.

Edit: Also possible PhysX implementation is badly optimised. Still streamers like Dansgaming was able to run Mafia 2 maxed out with PhysX enabled on his SLI-980 setup week or two age.

xviper

never played a Mafia game before, from the footage i have seen, the executions reminds me a bit of manhunt, i'll wait for reviews

Drazgul

Mafia 2 uses PhysX basically in everything from shoelaces to bullets to every single particle of debris you create with gunfire. It was and still kinda is showcase of what extensive use of PhysX can do to games appearance from physics angle. Without dedicated PhysX GPU you are in for rough times when it comes to performance.

Edit: Also possible PhysX implementation is badly optimised. Still streamers like Dansgaming was able to run Mafia 2 maxed out with PhysX enabled on his SLI-980 setup week or two age.

Was just fine with a single 1070 as well, so I guess they were just really forward-thinking with its implementation. :p

Mr. Hyde

I'm hoping to love this. Mafia 1 and 2 were two of my favorite games due to tightly knit stories. I am hoping the open world doesn't take away from the cohesiveness because that was the best part of those. I still haven't spent more than ten hours in GTA V due to not feeling the story. Mind you, my favorite genre is adventure games.

Pedersen

Fuck, I didn't need to read this. My poor wallet.

Tell me about it. Bought the ultimate edition of Horizon, preloading Mafia right now and I'm tempted to buy the ultimate edition of Gears, but I just have to face how crazy I've become and keep a level head around all these releases. What a time for gaming!

SomTervo

I'm eagerly awaiting judgement.

The stealth AI sounds super duper rudimentary but no-one's really complained about the combat AI yet (surprisingly)

Tell me about it. Bought the ultimate edition of Horizon, preloading Mafia right now and I'm tempted to buy the ultimate edition of Gears, but I just have to face how crazy I've become and keep a level head around all these releases. What a time for gaming!

It's honestly such a privilege. So hard not to go all-in on these releases. I've done that in the past, though, and I always regret it. Always.

"During the day the game has a baked, bleached look to it when you're facing the sun, almost like a "nostalgia" filter in a period film."

That's the South for ya. That's how I feel about real life daytime lighting down here.

Drazgul

The stealth AI sounds super duper rudimentary but no-one's really complained about the combat AI yet (surprisingly)

I won't be using that wallhack-o-vision as a crutch which hopefully will make stealth a bit more challenging; gotta be a lot more careful sneaking about when you won't know there's a guy guarding the joint with a tommy gun in hand right around the corner.

Sounds like it has some good aspects.

I'll play Mafia 2 again (<3) and buy this on a Steam sale when it's real cheap I think.

SomTervo

I won't be using that wallhack-o-vision as a crutch which hopefully will make stealth a bit more challenging; gotta be a lot more careful sneaking about when you won't know there's a guy guarding the joint with a tommy gun in hand right around the corner.

I was talking about the AI - apparently it's pretty simplistic, like takes a long time to notice you, has very limited vision cone and response to various things, etc. I agree, I won't be using the Bat-vision ability much/at all.

Looks like a pass, at least until they patch a bunch of stuff.

Passtch

Drazgul

I was talking about the AI - apparently it's pretty simplistic, like takes a long time to notice you, has very limited vision cone and response to various things, etc. I agree, I won't be using the Bat-vision ability much/at all.

Yeah I got that, and I meant that not having the vision should help the AI somewhat, in an indirect fashion.

Obviously it'd be better if the AI was improved, but I'm not holding my breath for that at this point in development.

SomTervo

Yeah I got that, and I meant that not having the vision should help the AI somewhat, in an indirect fashion.

Obviously it'd be better if the AI was improved, but I'm not holding my breath for that at this point in development.

I get you - yeah hopefully it will make up for the lacklustre AI.

I'm also going to put it on Hard in the hopes that their detection period will be faster, making stealth tougher. Hopefully that means gunfights are less safe, too, and that thinning the crowd out with stealth is more incentivised.

Mr. Hyde

I want the gameplay to be like mafia 1. Give me a gun and let me shoot tons of bad guys before getting more story scenes.

panty

EDIT: 6 hour update

mission structure is insanely repetitive.
weapons are not very varied.
melee kill animations (while satisfying) are not varied enough to keep the satisfaction rolling.
story and writing continues to impress.
not much to explore in the city, basically driving from this "kill everyone" mission to another "kill everyone" mission.
I initially loved the collectibles, but now I'm realizing the only incentive for me to explore the boring buildings of the city is to see naked girls in the playboy magazines
3 hours = 'holy shit this is amazing', 6 hours = 'I wish there wasn't so much gameplay in between story beats'
Well that's disappointing. A shocker they couldn't get it varied enough.

Will buy from sale.

Mr. Hyde

Sounds a lot like that's what's happening here.

Yeah except it seems this is forcing a lot more gameplay. Mafia 1 was basic but it flowed fast enough that you didn't feel bogged down from repetitiveness. I am getting it anyhow due to hearing the story is tightly written but I am still a bit worried.

but is it gonna flop

I don't think it'll flop. Assuming it reviews well (above 80 MC) and Take Two market it well I can definitely see it doing 3+ million copies. Although I wonder what sort of level it needs to sell at to make a profit. Watch Dogs 2 will probably crush it though, so they'll want it to do well before that releases.

HiiiLife

You think gamers fuck with 79 and lower Metacritic score games? It's pretty much irredeemable trash at that point. Like, I'd start projectile vomiting if I even touched such a game.

Basically how I felt playing Mafia 2. As soon as it's 80 flat it's all good.

Kayhan

- My only glaring negative right now is lack of HUD options. At the very least there should be a rearview mirror and speed gauge toggle, but I also want to turn off the mini-map sometimes. The screen is just needlessly surrounded by things when you're in a vehicle and have mission objectives.

Catastrophic.

For fucks sake this is 2016.

Tovarisc

I don't think it'll flop. Assuming it reviews well (above 80 MC) and Take Two market it well I can definitely see it doing 3+ million copies. Although I wonder what sort of level it needs to sell at to make a profit. Watch Dogs 2 will probably crush it though, so they'll want it to do well before that releases.

Will it tho? What I have seen WD2 it looks very dead and dull when it comes to world design and what is going on in there. Gameplay looks to be more of the WD, is it enough to pull people back in?

dreamfall

Super hyped! When is th Steam unlock? Is it midnight or 1pm on the 7th? Can't wait to get lost in the game. Impressions sound solid, but I was rooting for the game since its initial reveal. So happy it's finally here!

Tovarisc

Super hyped! When is th Steam unlock? Is it midnight or 1pm on the 7th? Can't wait to get lost in the game. Impressions sound solid, but I was rooting for the game since its initial reveal. So happy it's finally here!

EU release seems to be 12AM CEST. Oceanic in 4-ish hours. I don't know about NA.

KORNdoggy

Will it tho? What I have seen WD2 it looks very dead and dull when it comes to world design and what is going on in there. Gameplay looks to be more of the WD, is it enough to pull people back in?

i don't think it'll make any difference. it'll sell because it's a sequel to the first one. and the first one sold really well despite being boring as hell. the sequel looks better in that sense at least.

SomTervo

Catastrophic.

Come on, now.

If people are taking it this seriously there's a solid chance they'll patch the options in. Several games in the last couple of years have done this.

Are drugs involved in any way? I've been watching The Wire, and now I want to do some drug-related crime

The first Reddit leaker
said there were some later missions which involved drugs and were very interesting.

You should play GTA Chinatown Wars.

Redlogic

I've really enjoyed what I've played so far, maybe 3 hours in. Played the intro which was great, with really good cut scenes and story telling. Then they unleashed me unto the outside world where I started murking them racists bastards. Yes there isn't much enemy variety, but the gun play is strong. As I had stated yesterday, enemies react to where they are shot, which I love. The shot gun feels so damn good. Different cars handle in various ways but I found the driving to be pretty enjoyable. It's not always the best looking game but it's fun * so far *.

taoofjord

I wonder, as someone coming to this game with no interest in the open world structure or side missions, can I just go directly from one story mission to the next? Or are the story missions gated?

Redlogic

I wonder, as someone coming to this game with no interest in the open world structure or side missions, can I just go directly from one story mission to the next? Or are the story missions gated?

I believe you'll have to do some side missions to force bosses out of hiding eessentially. I had to do so early on.

Top Bottom