• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Early Copies Impressions

Harp

I could buy this on pc via some shady cdkey site for xheap. But I am going to grabit full price on PS4. Game looks interesting and we need alot more diversity in Game leads.

I do hope the whole any game released after Oct 1 requires a pro mode is true. That way I can take advantage of any improvements the pc version may have.

MesH

I had a live stream on YouTube last night and 2K games shut it down after 2 hours with copyright claim. They sure are clamping down on early impression's

Schnozberry

Is it true it's locked to 30fps on PC?

That an the impressions that it doesn't respect your time is kind of killing it for me.

The main menu loops the entirety of All Along The Watchtower. 2nd time I've listened to it haha, it's been ages since I've listened to Hendrix.

They're adressing race and racism very directly, which is refreshing.

Necron

Looking forward to playing this next. Going to finish Deus Ex: MD first though but I like what I'm reading on the first impressions.

I enjoyed Mafia 2 back when I played it from a PS+ offering and this sounds like a great sequel so far.

Rellik

Lol,there will be a ton of those in a few days...open world GTA type game and all...makes for good glitch reels ;) remember L.A. Noire etc etc ;)

I can't wait for the new version of this

e1d.gif

GravyButt

Also the weather system is incredibly distracting I stood in one spot for about a minute and it went like this.

Beaming sunshine.
Light cloud.
Beaming sunshine.
Heavy dark clouds.
Light cloud.
Beaming sunshine.

It feels like the sky box is scrolling far too fast.

So its New England?

Also the weather system is incredibly distracting I stood in one spot for about a minute and it went like this.

Beaming sunshine.
Light cloud.
Beaming sunshine.
Heavy dark clouds.
Light cloud.
Beaming sunshine.

It feels like the sky box is scrolling far too fast.

As a resident of New Orleans, sounds pretty accurate to me!

Freeman76

This will definitely bomb in price pretty fast, 0 reason for me to buy day one, bargain bin in 6 months fodder to me.

Daft_Cat

Loved the Gamespot documentaries, and although I haven't been following the game's development with a magnifying glass, it's been on my radar since it was announced.

That said -

Any impressions from people that have actually beaten the game? Particularly on the story itself? See, for me, this is where the lack of in-depth, substantive reviews really does begin to frustrate me as a consumer - and not because I need a number to justify my purchase.

Say what you will about the embargo (and I understand that it doesn't necessarily suggest a lack of publisher confidence), but if this game's biggest twist on the open world crime genre is legitimately excellent storytelling and a certain daringness when it comes to theme and subject matter, then impressions based off of three hours of gameplay aren't very helpful. I'm glad the game starts well - and a hearty dose of jank and structural repetition isn't necessarily a deal-breaker - but it'd be nice to know if it sticks the landing!

I'm aware that I could, and probably should, wait for reviews. That said, I have the weekend off, and my schedule is about to get a whole lot busier. For me, now would really be the best time to check this out. Not digging this release strategy at all.

Anyone else preorder with Amazon? My copy still hasn't shipped. Says, "Shipping Soon." I had this happen with King of Fighters 14, and it ended up being that I wouldn't get it until 2 days after release. Same with Star Fox. I'm considering canceling my order and going with regular retail. Hate how sometimes they shirk on their "release day delivery" guarantee, and then act like they aren't at fault. Has anyone's Amazon order shipped yet?

J-Skee

This game really wasn't on my radar before. I felt kind of bad about it too. Being a black man, I'm happy that this game is bringing up important social issues, but I judge everything by gameplay & not having played any of the early Mafia games, I just wasn't sure. These impressions are definitely making me think about it a lot more.

vypek

Anyone else preorder with Amazon? My copy still hasn't shipped. Says, "Shipping Soon." I had this happen with King of Fighters 14, and it ended up being that I wouldn't get it until 2 days after release. Same with Star Fox. I'm considering canceling my order and going with regular retail. Hate how sometimes they shirk on their "release day delivery" guarantee, and then act like they aren't at fault. Has anyone's Amazon order shipped yet?

Mine is "shipping now"

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Absolutely love the storytelling: it's top tier stuff and easily the best I've seen in an open world game (so far) since TW3, maybe even better than that.

Absolutely hate the 30fps cap and there some weird things happening with audio when you turn away from people, and full screen locks into 1080i for some reason (not 1080p).

Going to put this on ice until either Durante, the devs or someone fixes or mods 60fps capability into the game: kind of a massive bummer but oh well.

omgkitty

Watching the GB stream and this game is charming as hell, and normally I'd have bought it in a heart beat, but hearing the repetitive part, I'm worried the game starts with a bang, and then gets boring.

Top Bottom