• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Early Copies Impressions

SomTervo

I wonder, as someone coming to this game with no interest in the open world structure or side missions, can I just go directly from one story mission to the next? Or are the story missions gated?

Sounds like they're gated by some open world 'do some side missions for the region' sort of things.

A Redditor suggested that this eases off in the games latter half/act though.

This is 2016's Mad Max. Low to mid 7's, imo.

Fine by me, I greatly enjoyed Mad Max.

I'm currently trying to push through Mad Max so that I can free up HDD space and download Mafia 3.

It has its moments, but on the whole I'm finding it very un-fun. It has this weirdly slow pace, floaty controls, OK but repetitive brawling. The writing is bad. The world is utterly gorgeous. But I feel like it's a slog travelling from corner to corner of the map just to mainline the story. I've started completely ignoring Scrap. It's so useless and frustrating finding all the scrap in all the corners of each base. There's nothing meaningful about that gameplay loop.

I still like the game but the more I play it the more it's annoying me. The tiny snippets I've seen of Mafia 3 look way, way more compelling.

N° 2048

Thanks for the thread.

Passing and waiting for sale.

Looks generic and boring... currently playing Yakuza 4 too, no need to buy this for me.

SomTervo

As long as the story is interesting I'm in.

The story sounds like the dead-cert thing so far, even if the mission gating might mess with the pacing.

Sounds like they went all-in with the writing after Mafia 2, which was a very solid showing.

Certinty

Sounds and looks good enough for me. Will pick it up tomorrow. Love these type of games so doubt this will be any different.

Will it tho? What I have seen WD2 it looks very dead and dull when it comes to world design and what is going on in there. Gameplay looks to be more of the WD, is it enough to pull people back in?

Yes, it will. Watch Dogs 1 sold ~10 million copies and when they get going Ubi's marketing is the best in the industry. I expect lifetime sales of WD2 will be in the 12-14 million range.

Tovarisc

So how can people play this early on PC already? I am in the UK can i play this today after work?

People like CohhCarnage got review copy from 2K / devs so they are playing on PC early, before NZ and Australia where game unlocks on PC first.

Edit: First full on racist in Cohh's chat? He doesn't go into sub mode easily.

The Reddit impressions thing seems indicative of everything I feared the game would be: another repetitive open-world game. I'm honestly even more burned out on open-world action games than I was on WWII games in the early/mid-2000s.

Roufianos

I'm hoping I can just play the story missions. Fuck brain dead open world side quests. I respect my time on this planet.

Tovarisc

You can't bind stuff to mouse 4 and 5. What is this, 2000?

Edit: Having crucial action bound to Delete is brain dead keybind mapping at its finest

Ok I am about two hours in. Some things I have picked up on. Overall I am enjoying but a few nitpicks.

A lot of the backstory is told in vignette form like clips from a documentary mixed in with game play. A novel approach but one which may not be for everybody.

Screen is quite cluttered, with HUD, speedometer, objectives and mini map.

On screen prompts for basic actions which are both annoying and hard to spot in some dark scenes.

Tons of canned dialogue from enemies in combat. Including them announcing when they are reloading, out of ammo, throwing a molotov, feels a bit out if place for the time period. One enemy yelled out "It's shotgun time!" as he charged out of a hiding spot.

Oh great a one button counter for melee like the Arkham games, I personally hate this dumbing down of melee combat which is a trend these days.

Nameless

I'm hoping I can just play the story missions. Fuck brain dead open world side quests. I respect my time on this planet.

I'm interested in seeing how far the a.i. and sandbox systems go. Garbage side quest and collect-a-thons(though here...) are easy to ignore when you have plenty of room to 'make your own fun'. That's where GTA has always soared compared to its clones.

Also the weather system is incredibly distracting I stood in one spot for about a minute and it went like this.

Beaming sunshine.
Light cloud.
Beaming sunshine.
Heavy dark clouds.
Light cloud.
Beaming sunshine.

It feels like the sky box is scrolling far too fast.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere to get this cheaper on PC? Lowest I've found is £28.99 which is a bit too expensive for me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
No mention of the 30 fps lock on PC here?

Oh for fuck sake, if that's true they've just completely killed the game for me, there's no way I'm buying a 30fps locked game on PC.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Will it tho? What I have seen WD2 it looks very dead and dull when it comes to world design and what is going on in there. Gameplay looks to be more of the WD, is it enough to pull people back in?
Even Ubi games I'm not excited for go on to sell gangbusters, (The Crew). It's like some voodoo magic with their franchises, (also helps that the games are usually good). Like remember when people thought the Division would flop?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I noticed that but I thought it may be good info here for anyone who missed that other thread and pre orders based on other positive impressions.

Glad you did, I missed the other thread and was about to buy a shoddy console port at full price so thanks for saving me from that.

Afro

- Driving with the "simulation" option feels good. Cars shift their weight and can lose traction in a similar way to Mafia 2/GTAIV, but never to the point that it feels sloppy or loose.

Switched to simulation driving immediately. Feels weighty, and cars take a while to get up to speed and accelerate in general. Flinging cars around corners feels great imo, reminds me of classic chase movie drifts from Driver 1. Haven't tested enough classes to do a full comparison.

Oh my!!

Xando

Just started it up and installed the 2.5GB patch.

Really like the opening statement of Hangar 13 regarding racism

Sounds like they're gated by some open world 'do some side missions for the region' sort of things.

A Redditor suggested that this eases off in the games latter half/act though.

I'm currently trying to push through Mad Max so that I can free up HDD space and download Mafia 3.

It has its moments, but on the whole I'm finding it very un-fun. It has this weirdly slow pace, floaty controls, OK but repetitive brawling. The writing is bad. The world is utterly gorgeous. But I feel like it's a slog travelling from corner to corner of the map just to mainline the story. I've started completely ignoring Scrap. It's so useless and frustrating finding all the scrap in all the corners of each base. There's nothing meaningful about that gameplay loop.

I still like the game but the more I play it the more it's annoying me. The tiny snippets I've seen of Mafia 3 look way, way more compelling.

I liked mad max, I can't disagree with the negatives against it (Ubisoft tower game design etc) but the look, the theme, and the first time you see a storm roll on you, I don't know it just worked for me.

Still in for mafia 3, nothing, nothing will hurt more than buying the ultimate edition of battlefront on PC did, lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there anywhere to get this cheaper on PC? Lowest I've found is £28.99 which is a bit too expensive for me.

You're not going to get find anything cheaper than a resold retail key at this juncture.

Top Bottom