• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

I'm loving the atmosphere, and the cast looks great. This isn't anything that people haven't said already, but delving into racism plus the Vietnam War could end up being some pretty interesting subject matter.

Gimme amazing radio stations once again, that's all I ask.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Yeah thats Vito alright. Wish it hadn't jumped so far ahead. Would've like to play as Vito again to follow up Mafia 2. Hopefully its explained.

kiS2RJ.jpg

El-Suave

After the developer comments I have to say I don't buy the other characters from the trailer being the lieutenants of the protagonist. Each and everyone seems to be superior at first glance aside from the physical power aspect. I'm really curious how they set those relationships up.

strange thing to say but this is the most exciting screen in the whole lot. if they actually show the harassment and racial unrest that was (or is tbh) prominent for black people in america that would be very forward-thinking for a videogame.

i hope this has the same detailed storytelling as mafia 2. i loved the attention to detail in the time period and the cutscenes as well.

My thoughts exactly. Racial violence in the South in a Jim Crow world have largely been ignored. That's partially because most games have eschewed settings from the 19th and early-mid 20th centuries in the US.

Mafia has always done an amazing job crafting a believable world and characters that feel more than stereotypes. Excited to see more.

Uhm why? It would be awesome if there is coop.

Why would having coop bother you?

I don't like Coop. I would be fine if it had a system like GTA V. It's just a personal preference.

Uh, co-op would actually be really fantastic to the series if done correctly. Doing GTA Online style heists in the mob. That sounds really fun thinking about it.

And before I hear this, co-op doesn't mean the story has to be trash. I've played many co-op games that have excellent (for video games) stories.

Gears Of War is a positive expample for that, but they are not that many. I just want a well crafted single player experience, like Mafia 1. Also, it seems like I am wrong anyway of there being coop or online components.

Vito Lives!!

Really like the first two games, the short gameplay clips shown off looked great.
Setting and time period is a great.

Pachimari

The Gamespot journalist left with mixed feelings.
Seems like everytime you shoot a car's tires or even ram into them, they'll roll over and explode.
And too much emphasis on cover.

I'm surprised about Vito though, but I haven't completed Mafia II.

UrbanRats

Eh, the gameplay underwhelmed me quite a bit.

The thing is, Mafia was different from GTA because of its more grounded and realistic nature, this seems to want to bridge that gap (reminds me of Driv3r, even) andi think to its detriment, it's just risking to end up being a less packed and less fun GTAV clone, instead of a better Mafia game.

Wow, if they nail the setting and themes, this could be something special. That said, this could be an abomination if it's mishandled.

I'm going to keep a very close eye on this one.

DC1

After watching IGN's video, I'm hyped!
I'm with you here! More hyped than I was for GTA5.

Love the setting, love the variation, love 2K and trusting that they stay brave in their delivery of a very volatile and pivotal (cultural and political) period in the US.

Ehhh those screen are certainly not putting the game under a bright spotlight, the gameplay isn't making it look like the game departed much from its predecessor, just your regular 3rd person shooter with driving in between missions, will wait for further impressions, but not looking too hot so far.

Ehhh those screen are certainly not putting the game under a bright spotlight, the gameplay isn't making it look like the game departed much from its predecessor, just your regular 3rd person shooter with driving in between missions, will wait for further impressions, but not looking too hot so far.

Mafia excelled in its atmosphere and story telling.

Not really its gameplay, whilst solid not really anything to shout about.

iNvid02

dev interview is interesting, they chose one helluva time period and setting. hype

and the italian mob being the enemy and no longer romanticised sounds cool too

Dabanton

Hmm they're actually going to address the racial issues of the time (and heck which are still going on)

I feel they've hedged their bets with a mixed race main character obviously going for the is he or isn't Vin Diesel effect. Although it's good to know from the video that even that will be commented on.

EUA

racial problems. in a mafia game. that's what I was looking forward to! Oh, and what's that? am I wrong or are we gonna have to conquer areas to increase our influence? Wow, that's so epic!

And Hawke... I mean Vito is back, yay! Dude was so interesting in Mafia 2!

Main hero is so badass already, it's like Batman gave birth to him. DAT VOICE DOE!

EVERY CAR EXPLODES WHEN RAMMED! SO FUCKING HYPED, JESUS!

Also hope we get the war flashbacks like we did in Mafia 2. They were top fucking notch!
DAY FUCKING 1 of course!

fuck me, this all is so bad...

Top Bottom