• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 Reveal Trailer (Hangar 13/Take-Two, 2016, PC/PS4/XB1)

Mahonay

Banned
Trailer was really awesome and I like the setting. Although the gameplay I saw in that Gamespot video looks very derivative.

DC1

Ehhh those screen are certainly not putting the game under a bright spotlight, the gameplay isn't making it look like the game departed much from its predecessor, just your regular 3rd person shooter with driving in between missions, will wait for further impressions, but not looking too hot so far.
There is absolutely no way you can make this assumption (departing from it's predecessor)

To further help point out the fracture in your observation and communication of disappointment, I submit the following:

Mafia II was your regular 3rd person shooter with driving in between.

However what made Mafia II great for me was the carefully articulated story, character progression and realistic time sensitive atmosphere.

Again, there is nothing in the new trailer or gameplay that would suggest that M3 is not delivering on the above.

Setsuna

I was "like hey this looks like Infamous 2" then I remembered Infamous 2 took place in a re imagining of New Orleans

Hip Hop

This reveal feels similar to that of San Andreas from the comments elsewhere.

"Black People, Why!?!?"

"So Not Mafia"

I myself am ready to explore this. It's looking great.

As long as the story is good. I'm on board. The Setting is gotten me really interested now. I wonder if Microsoft will give a copy of Mafia 2 because of Backwards Compatibility when you pre-order, it would be nice

cripterion

This reveal feels similar to that of San Andreas from the comments elsewhere.

"Black People, Why!?!?"

"So Not Mafia"

Yeah I'm seeing some people turned down exactly for that reason. No biggie.
This setting can be extremely interesting if done right.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not what I was expecting from a Mafia game, but it sounds pretty interesting.

JimPanzer

holy fuck 'm psychic or something. before I started the trailer I had the feeling they would use all along the watchtower for the music.

JzkBNsv.gif

The little cross to aim is such poor UI imo. Especially for consoles.

Tenebrous

And GTA V on the Franklin reveal. A lot of closet racists come out during these type on reveals.

I don't think it's racism to prefer a Mafia story to focus on the Italian-American mob culture. I liked the Franklin reveal in GTA5 & his chemistry with Michael, and consider it a perfect fit for that game.

This might be a perfect fit for this game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a tad disappointed.

18-Volt

Amazing. New Orleans. No cell phones, no tech company parodies, no annoying whiny kids. This is what I've been waiting for.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm siding with the people being heavily disappointed in this. Mafia is about Italian Americans and specifically the actual mafia/costra nostra Goodfellas style. But now I'm seeing a white guy that stereotypically looks like a redneck, a black woman with an afro and a black man. I can't exactly make out the fourth person, but he looks more "regular" Caucasian than Italian. Unless the story is about the Italian that got killed in the trailer and the main story revolves around his family hunting down the four people in the trailer. But otherwise heavily disappointed and definitely not "Mafia".

Zach

Bad A.

And as the resident Dylan fan, I'm glad the trailer featured a song he wrote and a song he covered. :D

>_>

DC1

Hmm they're actually going to address the racial issues of the time (and heck which are still going on)

I feel they've hedged their bets with a mixed race main character obviously going for the is he or isn't Vin Diesel effect. Although it's good to know from the video that even that will be commented on.
For the love of all that is fair and just in the world, can we stop dropping the Vin Diesal card?

That guy isn't the pinnacle of Bad Ass nor is the universal representative of the Afro American light skinned society.

....not necessary directed at you Dabanton.

Never played a Mafia game before.

This looks cool! So is this game essentially GTA gang lands?

They straight up copied Rockstars map too haha

spuit*11

Banned
Seems the narrative vibe is very different from what made Mafia so great. At least in the trailer it's not so subtle what with the tryhardy voice acting. The setting seems great but if they compromise on the narrative then you'll just end up with a really shitty GTA-type game and not the kind of compelling game that Mafia should be.

Not to mention it's being made by a completely studio from the one that made Mafia 1 and 2. If I had to guess I'd say they're making it into a more casually acceptable game and that is a bad thing. Also muh family.

BokehKing

Banned
Trailer would have been so much better with a different voice actors, I don't think I can play a whole game of that guy talking like that.

Plus, not enough Italian for me, or any at all.
Plus... I don't know, I wanted wise guys not war heroes (no disrespect to Michael Corleone)

DC1

Seems the narrative vibe is very different from what made Mafia so great. At least in the trailer it's not so subtle what with the tryhardy voice acting. The setting seems great but if they compromise on the narrative then you'll just end up with a really shitty GTA-type game and not the kind of compelling game that Mafia should be.

Not to mention it's being made by a completely studio from the one that made Mafia 1 and 2. If I had to guess I'd say they're making it into a more casually acceptable game and that is a bad thing. Also muh family.

Are you a professional in between the lines reader?

It may have been better to say something like "Man... I would have liked to stay in that 30s to 50s romantic period of Mafia lore".

GravyButt

Ill take it. I appreciate the mafia appeal of the first two, but this also opens up future pathways! Either way im all aboard the hype train!

I wanted them to continue the Mafia 2 story, this seems too far ahead in the future if that old guys Vito, keeping my expectations in check

DC1

Ill take it. I appreciate the mafia appeal of the first two, but this also opens up future pathways! Either way im all aboard the hype train!
My man! You get it.
I'm looking forward to a mid 70s followed by an early 80s addition.
Would love to kick it back to the 30s after that.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm siding with the people being heavily disappointed in this. Mafia is about Italian Americans and specifically the actual mafia/costra nostra Goodfellas style. But now I'm seeing a white guy that stereotypically looks like a redneck, a black woman with an afro and a black man. I can't exactly make out the fourth person, but he looks more "regular" Caucasian than Italian. Unless the story is about the Italian that got killed in the trailer and the main story revolves around his family hunting down the four people in the trailer. But otherwise heavily disappointed and definitely not "Mafia".

Okay, so the main story actually is about the black guy on a cliché journey for revenge. Oh my, how can they butcher it so bad? "Hey guys! Let's make a Mafia game without actually making you part of the Mafia. Sounds cool, huh!!"

UberLevi

"Hey, this isn't 1920s to 1950s New York or Chicago with Italian Americans drinking booze, getting laid, and plotting to kill each other. Where's the suits, the tommyguns, the machismo? This isn't what Martin Scorsese would have wanted."

dex3108

Setting is interesting but i don't buy that family crap from trailer. I still think that Mafia game should be in early days of Vegas and they can call this game something else.

Nzyme32

GTA 5 bye bye. This one gonna have 4 characters you play with..

I wouldn't be so sure. Both 1 and 2 are so driven on telling the story of a single character and have you live out their mess. Switching characters would be quite the deviation for Mafia games and the way they play out

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Okay, so the main story actually is about the black guy on a cliché journey for revenge. Oh my, how can they butcher it so bad? "Hey guys! Let's make a Mafia game without actually making you part of the Mafia. Sounds cool, huh!!"

With the story of Watch_Dogs, the characters GTA-like and the "open world gameplay"™ you can't fail, can't you?

antonz

There was/is an Italian Mob Family in the New Orleans area during this time period. The question is does the game deal with the Matranga family or not

Red Hood

Banned
"Hey, this isn't 1920s to 1950s New York or Chicago with Italian Americans drinking booze, getting laid, and plotting to kill each other. Where's the suits, the tommyguns, the machismo? This isn't what Martin Scorsese would have wanted."

The quotation marks are throwing me off. So assuming you're being sarcastic, let's make a FIFA game that's about ice hockey, or a Call of Duty game revolving sword fighting.

Viliger

Yes, that's what I want - not playing as part of, you know, mafia family in my Mafia game. Mafia 2 wasn't exactly great, but at least it did what it said on the cover. If you wanted to create GTA1960 then just call it, I don't know, Generic Revenge Plot 1960 staring Vito from Mafia series.

DC1

Actually, I think you might be making connections that your perspective can't cash.

:)

Red Hood

Banned
Actually, I think you might be making connections that your perspective can't cash.

:)

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The main protagonist is definitely a black guy (as seen in gameplay footage) and according to the cinematic trailer, apparently the Italian Mafia murdered his family and he's on a quest for revenge now to take down the Italian Mafia. I'm pretty sure I'm as close as can be.

I am kinda bummed. I wanted Italian mafia during the 50s and would be awesome to play as Vito again. In other hand, I like the New Orleans setting, at least it's in a real city now.

Top Bottom