• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Raising Project |OT| Madoka x Future Diary = Magical Girl Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Dude. Harsh.

[/b]

I noticed that too. But then the answer seems simple: never transform again. But that would require a) the girls finding out about it and b) electing to effectively give up their powers voluntarily. Which no one seems to do.

That's another thing: Why are there even magical girls in this setting? There doesn't appear to be any supernatural threats, and even the mundane "help" they render seems to be on low demand, baring situations like the house fire this week.

EDIT: Wanted to add: anyone else kinda disappointed that the lowest earner gets offed by the system itself? I found the idea more intriguing when it was a bunch of girls willing to use deadly force to keep their super special super powers. The fact that they are going to be literately fighting for their lives kinda robs it of the twisted sociopathy I was expecting.

Well from the synopsis I pulled online:

At first, the 16 magical girls race to collect more "magical candy" than their competitors, but the rules quickly become twisted, and it quickly becomes a murderous battle for survival among them.

Sounds like the system changes along the way. My guess is a character like Calamity Mary starts taking it upon herself to steal candies from the other girls to fet rid of them.

FluxWaveZ

EDIT: Wanted to add: anyone else kinda disappointed that the lowest earner gets offed by the system itself? I found the idea more intriguing when it was a bunch of girls willing to use deadly force to keep their super special super powers. The fact that they are going to be literately fighting for their lives kinda robs it of the twisted sociopathy I was expecting.

I'm fine with it, even though I was also expecting deaths to be a result of them offing themselves directly (and I do think that will be an element moving forward). I like the "Killing Game" concept in general, yet there are so few stories that even revolve around it.

As long as the fact that the lowest scorers dying off isn't some mystery moving forward (what with the double identities possibly muddying the waters) and that everyone knows the danger is real very soon (as opposed to a core plot element being about "discovering what happened to the missing magical girls"), I'm good with this impetus.

As a starting point this is fine. Based off of the synopsis I think we're building up to the point where they start trying to off each other. I feel like some of the lower-middle scoring girls are going to start kicking things into high gear in an attempt to not lose their powers.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the twin girls will come into play at some point when one dies, the other spreads the news to the other girls and then the panic and desperation starts setting in.

Razmos

For anyone worried that everyone is going to die from being the lowest earner
apparently Nemurin is the only girl to die this way
(Spoilers I saw in some comments. Not a huge one but worth a look if you are worried about the tone going forward)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The show's been pretty bad so far. Annoying and/or uncharismatic characters, bland universe, predictable plot, and cookie cutter safeness. It's just poor man's Madoka so far in every way possible.

Cornbread78

...it's episode 2 man, jeez

Welcome to anime, where everything is shit, lol.

With that being said, the show has been alright, it just needs to set itself apart from the rest and leave its mark. Hopefully, the next few episodes help do that in the way the story advances by expsnding the world, the rules and especially the characters.

Szadek

The show's been pretty bad so far. Annoying and/or uncharismatic characters, bland universe, predictable plot, and cookie cutter safeness. It's just poor man's Madoka so far in every way possible.
Sadly,I have to agree.
Right now it seems like the aren't putting in much afford since everyone knows that the status quo isn't going to last very long.
So far the survival game, that hasn't even started yet, is the only hook the show has.
It's possible that the show gets a lot better once the characters learn what's actually going on, but the weak beginning doesn't give me much hope.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this ends of being edgy to make up for a lack of substance

Brazil

Welcome to anime, where everything is shit, lol.

With that being said, the show has been alright, it just needs to set itself apart from the rest and leave its mark. Hopefully, the next few episodes help do that in the way the story advances by expsnding the world, the rules and especially the characters.

So it's ok to have positive opinions two episodes in, but not negaive ones?

Take note of the fact that I used "so far" twice in my short post. Chill.

Cornbread78

So it's ok to have positive opinions two episodes in, but not negaive ones?

Take note of the fact that I used "so far" twice in my short post. Chill.

Huh? If you don't like it, that's fine by me; this show isn't blowing the doors of anything at this time

It's more of an in-joke how everyone that watched anime tends to hate every anime moreso than not, lol..

It's all good man, it's all gooooood.

tumblr_oer74kitGF1u2vo2go1_400.gif

Oh and Also:

KcZMoJx.jpg

TarNaru33

Banned

The main issue in story telling is that one must first capture their audience in the very beginning or lose most of them. Not saying it can't rebound if it got better in the mid part of the show.

What he said isn't wrong, there is little to keep people wanting to watch it, except knowing there is a conflict coming up that is rare to magical girls. The characters and style so far are not that great, so this lies all hope on the plot.

Razmos

The main issue in story telling is that one must first capture their audience in the very beginning or lose most of them. Not saying it can't rebound if it got better in the mid part of the show.

What he said isn't wrong, there is little to keep people wanting to watch it, except knowing there is a conflict coming up that is rare to magical girls. The characters and style so far are not that great, so this lies all hope on the plot.
Eh I disagree. The true identity of the magical girls and the motive behind the killing seem like pretty good draws to me. And the knowledge that it is leading up to something is making me want to speculate. I think the show has thrown up quite a few mysteries and intriguing plot points in the first 2 episodes, as I said in my previous posts.

So far the only thing I've seen that is madoka like (other than the deconstruction of the genre itself) is the cutesy art style and the mascot, whereas a lot of the rules set out in the show itself are quite different and make you think. So I found it a bit weird that he tarred it as a madoka clone after just 2 episodes.

Brazil

Eh I disagree. The true identity of the magical girls and the motive behind the killing seem like pretty good draws to me. And the knowledge that it is leading up to something is making me want to speculate. I think the show has thrown up quite a few mysteries and intriguing plot points in the first 2 episodes, as I said in my previous posts.

So far the only thing I've seen that is madoka like (other than the deconstruction of the genre itself) is the cutesy art style and the mascot, whereas a lot of the rules set out in the show itself are quite different and make you think. So I found it a bit weird that he tarred it as a madoka clone after just 2 episodes.

The only thing that's Madoka-like is literally the only thing the show has going for it so far - the dark twist on the Mahou Shoujo cliche.

Other than that, it has, as I mentioned before, uninteresting characters, a predictable plot, and mechanics that seem way out there. Why are there even magical girls in this world? Not to mention the fact that the whole "we gotta cut the number of girls in half" is ridiculously arbitrary and cheap as a source of conflict.

So I stand by my original post.

The fact that they die isn't what surprised me. What surprised me is the fact the mascot outright kills them rather than having another magical girl do it or having a more hands off approach.

Cornbread78

The fact that they die isn't what surprised me. What surprised me is the fact the mascot outright kills them rather than having another magical girl do it or having a more hands off approach.

Seriously, Fav is ruthless. I mean, he even baited her into transforming before he did it.

I'm sure there will be some magic girl x magic girl crimes coming up soon as was demonstrated this past episode. I'm also about 99% positive that first blood will be struck by Calamity Mary..

TarNaru33

Banned
Seriously, Fav is ruthless. I mean, he even baited her into transforming before he did it.

I'm sure there will be some magic girl x magic girl crimes coming up soon as was demonstrated this past episode. I'm also about 99% positive that first blood will be struck by Calamity Mary..

I do not think they would go the route of him having to bait them into transforming again at before 12 AM to have to kill her because then it can easily be defeated by just not transforming. It doesn't even work well as a story twist.. or maybe it do.. lol.

I agree with that last part, I mean she tried to kill one of them just as a warning to crossing her. I can see her being one of the first to go "hunting".

Now there is an issue I find here. He said he will eliminate the girls with the lowest amount of candies once a week, does this mean he won't kill one of them if one of them dies on a week before he actually makes the kill? That is the only way this can work, is if whoever is on the bottom is immune to being selected after killing someone or someone else dying who may have been higher than her, because she will still technically have the least amount of candies when the week ends no matter who in front of her dies.

I think one of the biggest draws for me is the idea that the magical girls could be anyone. We already know that a boy can become a magical girl, and it makes you wonder who the other magical girls might be in real life. So far of the ones we've seen, they are mostly about what you'd expect but I bet there are going to be some weird ones in there, like a middle aged pervert or an old lady or something
Haha, that would be awesome.

A comedy show with the same premise could fun.

Did Fav kill her though?
Have you noticed that the princess in the little girl's dream looks like Ruler? What if it was actually her? I think Fav asked Ruler to do the dirty work. Fav made Ruler enter the dream (it might even be her dream) and she killed Nemurin there, which also killed her in real life. Since the other Magical Girls don't have Nemurin's special ability, I suppose they will have to be killed in the real world.

On another note, it seems to me that fairy tales might play a big role in this show: the main is called Snow White, La Pucelle is basically her prince charming, Ruler looks like an envious evil queen, Calamity Mary is some sort of hunter, ...
And with the "until midnight" rule, we have a bit of Cinderella in there too.

JC Lately

Now there is an issue I find here. He said he will eliminate the girls with the lowest amount of candies once a week, does this mean he won't kill one of them if one of them dies on a week before he actually makes the kill? That is the only way this can work, is if whoever is on the bottom is immune to being selected after killing someone or someone else dying who may have been higher than her, because she will still technically have the least amount of candies when the week ends no matter who in front of her dies.

Ah, but I think that the candy thing is just a means to an end. The goal is halve the number of magical girls, with one being eliminated per week. The candies are there just to give the illusion of fairness. I’m willing to bet so long as any one girl dies in that seven day span, the rules are met, regardless of the number of candies. Fav probably couldn’t care less how it happens so long as he gets the number down to 8.

And Calamity Mary or Ruler will be the first to figure this out.

Cornbread78

Oh man, they are going to try and kill Snow White next week already! That rule change is some serious BS to specifically benefit Ruler and Calamity Mary more than anyone. Next week should get pretty nasty between all the magical girls and especially our poor Snow White..

"That's just how it is, pon"

Fuck you you little evil piece of shit!

Razmos

Not surprising. I also bet that Swim Swim is, like, 8.
Going off the eye catch in the second half, looks like it.

Really disappointed that all the girls so far (except for La Pucelle) are pretty normal in real life. I bet Calamity Jane, Ruler and Magicaloid are weird ones though.

Also I bet the twins are actually one person with a split personality who becomes 2 magical girls when they transform. Which is why they are totally linked

Cornbread78

Also I bet the twins are actually one person with a split personality who becomes 2 magical girls when they transform. Which is why they are totally linked

That would be an interesting twist, lol. Torn apart in that magical world, which causes complete choas in the real world.

Well, I called it with the mysterious heart attack.

Next week is going to be intense, part of me thinks whats going to happen is that since Dear Leader squad is making the first attempt at this when seemingly nobody else has realized it yet, they will succeed at stealing Candies. Except, it won't be Snow Whites candies, it'll be Sou's who gets stolen while trying to protect Snow White.

Fuck this asshole, what a dick.

Another episode exploring the dynamics of everything. Seems like we're going to get into the action side of things more starting next episode. I'm enjoying this anime for the most part, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the fighting start.

Yup, looks like she was the dreaming girl from episode 2:
JijrGzc.jpg

After seeing the cutaway I was wondering if it was her dream that Nemurin was in. In retrospect it seemed she was watching the person she admired the most in her dream. Also fits with what we saw of SwimSwim and her reverence Ruler in this episode.

Heh, Lerche is the studio that did both DR animes, so I guess they wanted to hit that reference home again.

Razmos

Well. Swim-Swim is a ruthless little girl isn't she? I'm rather confused as to how
Ruler
died.
That was a lot of blood. I imagine she turned on the others when she saw she was in the bottom and then got stabbed with Swim-Swims spear. They should have shown it really.

I scrolled down briefly to look at the comments after watching the episode and there will literally people just throwing out spoilers from the manga, absolute ass holes. One guy even posted an entire page from the manga saying "big spoiler of upcoming gruesome death"

Sigh. I'll just keep my discussion of the show here.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about the next episode. La Pucelle is throwing up a lot of death flags, and the fact that Ripple gets more screen time in the opening and comes before her in the ending... I really don't think she has much time left.

Magical Girl Raising Project - Episode 4
Wow, I did not expect that. Swim-Swim is a devious little one.
I can't believe they actually went the route of Coup D'etat. I wanted it to happen, but I didn't think the writers would have done it. Nice callback to Nemurin being the incitement of it though. She lives, even in death.

That said, I'm feeling a little uneasy about this. Swim-Swim and the gang killed Ruler before the Candy Total Call at midnight, so I'm thinking that because she died, Fav, the sick little fuck that he is can't use her and will have to go for the second lowest in candies. I'm thinking the fact that we didn't get a timeskip to the totals tonight hints at it too, We may be looking at two deaths tonight

Woahhhh, did not see that coming! Nemurin's dream dive convincing Swim Swim to turn on Ruler is a great twist. I actually assumed Ruler was safe this episode and would make it further into the "game." That devious little girl is going to be one to watch. :lol

Great episode. It was fun seeing people use their magic more, particularly in this type of situation.

I'm thinking the fact that we didn't get a timeskip to the totals tonight hints at it too, We may be looking at two deaths tonight

I think it's just Ruler in this case. Fav announced her as the lowest candy getter, and then she got killed. There's definitely going to be some fuckery later, but for now I think this is enough to satiate him.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about the next episode. La Pucelle is throwing up a lot of death flags, and the fact that Ripple gets more screen time in the opening and comes before her in the ending... I really don't think she has much time left.

Dunno if she'll be next, but I definitely get the feeling La Pucelle is going to die for Snow White sooner rather than later.

FluxWaveZ

Good episode. I didn't expect Ruler to bite it there. I thought the twist when Snow White was surprised at her number was that Swim Swim sacrificed her own candies to save her or something. Plus, I figured the whole "not even my servants know my power's limits" internal monologue was going to be foreshadowing.

I wonder if that new girl at the end is going to end up being friend or foe. Factions are being established, which is neat.

TarNaru33

Banned
That said, I'm feeling a little uneasy about this. Swim-Swim and the gang killed Ruler before the Candy Total Call at midnight, so I'm thinking that because she died, Fav, the sick little fuck that he is can't use her and will have to go for the second lowest in candies. I'm thinking the fact that we didn't get a timeskip to the totals tonight hints at it too, We may be looking at two deaths tonight

Huh? I am pretty certain
they didn't kill Ruler themselves. Remember, in episode 2, the total call was done about 10-15 minutes away from midnight. This makes sense, as the best time to steal someone's candy would be close to the total call, as to prevent them from coming back later to fight. The only thing that makes me question this is the blood, but we do not know if Fav kills them off in different ways than just a clean old heart attack
. If you have another thought on why you think that, please explain, as I re-watched that scene like 2 extra times to see if I missed anything.

Remember, that they use that device to be at the candy count, but they do not actually have to attend it.

On another note, i am a little surprised at the amount of planning Swim-Swim took in doing that, as she looks no older than 7 years old and would guess even lower. I do have to say, though she was mean enough to equal calamity, I do feel for Ruler. Being betrayed by the very people you never thought would betray you is not easy to digest even if well deserved

Huh? I am pretty certain
they didn't kill Ruler themselves. Remember, in episode 2, the total call was done about 10-15 minutes away from midnight. This makes sense, as the best time to steal someone's candy would be close to the total call, as to prevent them from coming back later to fight. The only thing that makes me question this is the blood, but we do not know if Fav kills them off in different ways than just a clean old heart attack
. If you have another thought on why you think that, please explain, as I re-watched that scene like 2 extra times to see if I missed anything.

Remember, that they use that device to be at the candy count, but they do not actually have to attend it.

My main unease comes from the fact that they didn't explicitly call it out that she had the lowest count. I guess I'm just assuming that they would make a bigger deal out of the fact that she had the least as of the Candy Count. Because outside of Team White and Team Ruler, nobody else knew about their little battle.

Yeah, we had the scene of Top Speed rushing over while dragging along Ripple, but at the same time she gave up pretty fast on heading there even though she was trying to make friends with them in past episodes.

Razmos

They did explicitly call out that Ruler had the lowest amount. It was through message on the magic phone. She was dead anyway, but it looks like they finished her off before she could put up a fight.

My main unease comes from the fact that they didn't explicitly call it out that she had the lowest count. I guess I'm just assuming that they would make a bigger deal out of the fact that she had the least as of the Candy Count. Because outside of Team White and Team Ruler, nobody else knew about their little battle.

Yeah, we had the scene of Top Speed rushing over while dragging along Ripple, but at the same time she gave up pretty fast on heading there even though she was trying to make friends with them in past episodes.

Fav did call it out. Do you mean the other girls? I don't think they cared that much, they were probably all still confused and grateful for the last minute 2k boost they all got. Ruler was condescending and vicious to her subjects/friends, can't imagine she was very pleasant to anybody else. If anything they were probably glad it wasn't someone that they liked more. Plus the anxiety is probably still pretty high at this point, I think people are more focussed on themselves and their very close friends/allies.

In fact, the only reason Top Speed seemed to care at all was because she liked the other girls in Ruler's group and wanted to check on them... But then got distracted by girls that she liked more, lol.

We might see more of them talk about it in the next episode or two, but I think Ruler is the only one dying from this round.

Szadek

Episode 4 was pretty bad and I dropped the show.
The fight scene sucked and I don't think I have ever seen a death of a semi-important character with this little fanfare.
It wasn't even on screen ffs and because of all the flashbacks I wasn't even sure that first if this was past ot present.

Don't even get me started that I'm supposed to belive that an Grade schooler pulled all of this crap of or that Ruler is supposed to have a soft side that we never saw.

FluxWaveZ

Don't even get me started that I'm supposed to belive that an Grade schooler pulled all of this crap of or that Ruler is supposed to have a soft side that we never saw.

What do you mean by soft side? Because if you're talking about taking Swim Swim under her wing, that wasn't a display of being soft to her, as she makes explicitly clear in this episode.

I don't think it was a massively complicated plan. It was literally just distributing the vast majority of the candy to everyone not named Ruler. Actually, Swim Swim piggybacked off of a plan that Ruler orchestrated for the most part.

And if anything I think the episode went to great lengths to show that Ruler did not have a soft side, and that she was in fact a callous and stuck-up person who did not value loyalty, friendship or business partnerships.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I am pretty sure everyone going to hunt down snow white after this. With the number of candies that she earns, she can easily determine who live or die just by distributing them. FAV made giving away candies way too easy.

TarNaru33

Banned
I am pretty sure everyone going to hunt down snow white after this. With the number of candies that she earns, she can easily determine who live or die just by distributing them. FAV made giving away candies way too easy.

Honestly they needed to allow that candy distribution feature. Because of the reasons I stated earlier after episode 2 and then they fixed that issue by introducing that feature.

Without the candy distribution feature, it would mean that whoever is in last place before the roll call will always be last place no matter how many magical girls they killed above them (unless they are the lat magical girl), which means they would be doomed no matter what unless killing of a magical girl by another magical girl was sufficient for Fav.

I also wouldn't call it easy, as we seen how long it took to steal 25,000 candies, with Ruler being very impatient and worried.

I don't think it was a massively complicated plan. It was literally just distributing the vast majority of the candy to everyone not named Ruler. Actually, Swim Swim piggybacked off of a plan that Ruler orchestrated for the most part.

And if anything I think the episode went to great lengths to show that Ruler did not have a soft side, and that she was in fact a callous and stuck-up person who did not value loyalty, friendship or business partnerships.

It was a complicated plan in that we are talking about a grade schooler usurping power from someone they considered to be higher than them. Then, she did have the twins help.. I don't know, I just have a hard time thinking a grade schooler would be that calculating on such a subject. It is anime, so I will let it slide.

It was a complicated plan in that we are talking about a grade schooler usurping power from someone they considered to be higher than them. Then, she did have the twins help.. I don't know, I just have a hard time thinking a grade schooler would be that calculating on such a subject. It is anime, so I will let it slide.

Kids defy their parents, teachers, social peers and people like that all the time. It's not like kids can't be sneaky in their own right, and as you mentioned she did have 2 other people who both helped and encouraged her. Plus Nemurin planting the seeds in her dream and Ruler's fairly consistent abuse helped make it easier.

JC Lately

Is anyone else having a hell of time figuring out how old characters are supposed to be? Nemurin and Ruler being adults and Swim-Swim being a child? Would have pegged the opposite being true. But then La Pucelle is a dude when not transformed, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by anything. Bet Calamity Mary is a 30 y/o salary man or some shit.

So, the episode. I kinda wanted Ruler to stick around a bit longer, would have made her death more satisfying. I figured her ‘minions’ would turn on her at some point, her constant and frankly adolescent condescending and abusive attitude would have gotten anyone slapped eventually, even if there wasn’t a death game upping the ante. I am confused why her body was coved in blood though? Actually rewound the scene a couple of times cause I thought my CR stream glitched and I missed a few seconds or something.

FluxWaveZ

Is anyone else having a hell of time figuring out how old characters are supposed to be? Nemurin and Ruler being adults and Swim-Swim being a child? Would have pegged the opposite being true. But then La Pucelle is a dude when not transformed, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by anything. Bet Calamity Mary is a 30 y/o salary man or some shit.

Their magical girl selves don't represent their actual age.

JC Lately

I get that, but their personalities/attitude don’t really help either. Ruler, in particular, smacked of teenage ‘I know everything and everyone’s stupid but me’ arrogance. Same with Nemurin complete lack of initiative. Maybe its just me. Could be the translation. Might be the actual characters playing up their new persona. Just struck me as odd.

Cornbread78

Well, Ruler is now dead and gone. Did they physically kill her themselves or was it Calamity Mary? They skipped the scene, or I missed it, but damn... bloody finish..

The action scenes were nice, so hopefully there are more to come.

Well, Ruler is now dead and gone. Did they physically kill her themselves or was it Calamity Mary? They skipped the scene, or I missed it, but damn... bloody finish..

The action scenes were nice, so hopefully there are more to come.

Either she tried to fight them and got beaten badly before dying (people have pointed out that it looks like Swim Swim is holding an axe in the op) or Fav's magical killing is getting bloodier. I'd guess the former, but we don't know for sure.

JC Lately

Take it form a father of a grade schooler who has to deal with grade school bullies: Kids can be vile, clever little shits. Add magical powers and impunity, and I can totally believe a 9 year old could pull this off.

Magical Girl Raising Project 01-04

So I'm enjoying this show somewhat, however I feel that's its on the precipice of being dropped depending on the next few episodes. Essentially Battle Royale with Magical Girls the similarities to Madoka Magica are striking from mortality being tied with magical girls to the evil little pet character. However this show is not Madoka Magica and it's painful to see that when watching it.

Madoka Magica had purpose in its world building and, yes, while it wasn't given explicitly there was always a tug or minor pull at something even more greater to come with the end of each episode. Magical Girl Raising Project on the other hand lacks in this and seems to just throw magical girls into a battle royale just for the hell of it. While this aspect isn't bad, the explicit similarities to Madoka Magica brings, imo, the overall feel of this show down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom