• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Raising Project |OT| Madoka x Future Diary = Magical Girl Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Either she tried to fight them and got beaten badly before dying (people have pointed out that it looks like Swim Swim is holding an axe in the op) or Fav's magical killing is getting bloodier. I'd guess the former, but we don't know for sure.

Ok, so I didn't miss anything then, lol. Maybe they will fill us in later like they did with the Ruler/swim stuff.

Magical Girl Raising Project 5
Yeah, La Pucile is going to get offed, isn't she? That's going to suuuck especially with the Snow White love interest thing going on now. Anyhow, I don't get why Sister Nana isn't trying to get Snow White and La Puclie on her side. I thought their current reputation in the group was that of the people who are "innocent and good beyond all fault"

Then again, she is probably just looking for extra protection rather than an actual ally in stopping all of this

I got a kick out of Magicaloid 44. So focussed on conning others, and having such a mixed bag of a power. You just know she's going to come up with an item that's going to be a huge hassle for everyone else. From the snippet of her inner voice, I couldn't tell if she was just an old woman or another male (I think the former?).

I did like the idea that helping others in trouble is such a vague directive that Mary and 44 are able to exploit it and help others do bad things to earn points. Very fitting for Mary and Fav.

La Pucelle is screwed unless Snow White or someone else come in at the last minute. Winterprison struggled against Cranberry until Nana helped out, not sure Pucelle can do much here alone. Pucelle has a few death flags too at this point, so it's not looking good. Cranberry seemed like trouble ever since she smiled at the idea of the death game, and she seems insanely powerful and close with Fav, so she's definitely going to be trouble.

Anyhow, I don't get why Sister Nana isn't trying to get Snow White and La Puclie on her side.

I think she figures she doesn't need to? They consistently have higher candy counts, and she did train La Pucelle, so she probably figures they're on the same page or something.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think La Pucelle will be getting killed anytime soon. When she does (if she does), I feel like it would be a dramatic shift for Snow White in terms of her approach, and it might be a bit early for that?

Cranberry turning out to be this insane girl is fine, but I like Battle Royale stories where motivations are more personal and morally ambiguous. There are a bunch of "evil" aligned characters, and then "good" aligned characters, but not many in the middle. The nun and her partner might be in that gray area. Swim Swim too, I suppose. She seems pretty bummed out that Ruler is dead, even though it's her fault.

Maybe the new girl is neutral, too, but she might prove to be another ally of Snow White's, after she helped her with a real life problem she had (or whatever reason the new girl is obsessed with her).

Crunchyroll did an Anime vs. real life setting comparison for MGRP.

Cv-nYt5XgAARzT4.jpg

Lerche also released a Halloween iPhone wallpaper:

The nun and her partner might be in that gray area. Swim Swim too, I suppose. She seems pretty bummed out that Ruler is dead, even though it's her fault.

Eh, I feel pretty safe classifying Nana and Winterprison as good. They're going around trying to get people to stop being aggressive with each other. I suppose they're grey in terms of them not solidly choosing sides per se, but they seem to be preaching the morally "good" course of action.

Swim Swim's group is probably the closest we've got to a morally ambiguous team. Even then, they're pretty actively plotting the downfall of others- particularly the highest candy earners (who are ostensibly good, unless there are more like Mary and 44).

FluxWaveZ

Eh, I feel pretty safe classifying Nana and Winterprison as good. They're going around trying to get people to stop being aggressive with each other. I suppose they're grey in terms of them not solidly choosing sides per se, but they seem to be preaching the morally "good" course of action.

So far, the nun's team definitely has that "lawful good" appearance, with all the interactions she had with the others, with her personality, and just the fact that her magical girl persona is a nun. I'm leaving the possibility open that her goals are more selfish than they seem, though.

Sterok

Of course Ripple has to make things worse than they need to be. She's got no reason to be hostile to anyone, but she's a cynic by nature. Top Speed certainly has her hands full dealing with her. So Sister Nana is just an idiot. A well meaning idiot, but still an idiot. At least Winterprison has good sense. And she's definitely a good person too. They make a good couple. Too bad Winterprison will probably go berserk once someone manages to off Sister Nana. Not sure why Nana hasn't already contacted La Pucelle with her plan seeing how she knows La Pucelle is trustworthy. Cranberry just wants to fight. Well it was obvious she was one of the evil ones a few episodes ago. Nice fight this time.

Magicaloid 44's power is interesting. One day she may get a death beam, and the next she can determine whether insects are male or female. Can't hurt to have her on your side, and her loyalty is to money. Calamity Mary enjoys having another deplorable with her. Too early to tell if Swim Swim has a good idea in mind or not. Hardgore Alice is the new character. I love these edgy names. And now we have Cranberry vs La Pucelle, with Alice planning something concerning Snow White. I predict La Pucelle escapes Cranberry, only to get killed by Alice.

So who has the best name, Weiss Winterprison, Calamity Mary, or Hardgore Alice? Difficult choice.

So far, the nun's team definitely has that "lawful good" appearance, with all the interactions she had with the others, with her personality, and just the fact that her magical girl persona is a nun. I'm leaving the possibility open that her goals are more selfish than they seem, though.

Well, the Winterprison cutaway does hint at her "accepting Nana despite seeing through her aims," so it is possible that they aren't all that they appear.

So who has the best name, Weiss Winterprison, Calamity Mary, or Hardgore Alice? Difficult choice.

lmao, I love all the names. I guess Calamity Mary, but Hardgore Alice is pretty great too.

Razmos

Yeah, I think La Pucelle is going to fight off Cranberry, only to be murdered by Hardgore Alice straight after.

I'm curious about Top Speed saying that she doesn't want to die "for at least 6 months"
I bet she has a terminal illness and became a magical girl with speed based magic so she can do more with the time that she has left.

Winterprison and Sister Nana are some very cool lesbians, but even after an insight into their characters I don't entirely trust Sister Nana. Since her magic is to empower others, maybe she herself gets stronger the more allies she has?

Also Cranberry has a different magical phone than the other girls

FluxWaveZ

I don't get it, why do people think Hardgore Alice would be the type to murder La Pucelle? She hasn't shown an indication of her affiliations at all yet; we only know she wants to find Snow White.

Cornbread78

Damn, that battle with Cranberry and Sister x Witherspoon was pretty dope and almost felt like it was scripted out of FMA with the alchemy-like magical effects. Her fighting powers look like they may be a liitle OP on the outside, but lets see how La Pucelle fares against her next week.

Also, anyone else laugh at the magical girl scene? It's a boy, it's a boy, lol.... man, the death scene when LaPucelke bites the bucket will be tough..

pbayne

Bets on Nana or Winterprision to the next one to bite the dust. Just think the show will split those two up and have the other go rouge looking for revenge.

Nothing on MAL but i really hope this gets a full 24 episodes and maintain the pacing it has atm.

So, does anyone else think Fav is going to continue to manipulate things behind the scenes to the extent where he outright tells the girls, "If someone dies, we skip this weeks count". Because he was edging Cranberry on real hard there

Sterok

I don't get it, why do people think Hardgore Alice would be the type to murder La Pucelle? She hasn't shown an indication of her affiliations at all yet; we only know she wants to find Snow White.

We don't actually know, but this is a dark show, and she looks crazy, so she's probably not the type that goes around rescuing puppies. She seems like a Yandere type to me personally, so anyone who gets close to Snow White is an enemy. Plus whoever kills La Pucelle gets hype points, and right now Alice is the one that most needs an impressive showing if she's going to be a threat.

Cornbread78

Bets on Nana or Winterprision to the next one to bite the dust. Just think the show will split those two up and have the other go rouge looking for revenge.

Nothing on MAL but i really hope this gets a full 24 episodes and maintain the pacing it has atm.

24 would be nice to give every dying character some screen time as well as give more time with the battles.

Does she have to die? :(

Man, I hope not, she is a good and righteous knight for Snow White.

I believe it's already confirmed to be 12 episodes, which what I've heard of the LNs should be more than adequate. The first volume covers the entirety of the first battle royale with each 1 or 2 volumes afterwards following a different one with a different cast of characters.

Seems to mostly be an anthology series.

SkyOdin

I'm curious about Top Speed saying that she doesn't want to die "for at least 6 months"
I bet she has a terminal illness and became a magical girl with speed based magic so she can do more with the time that she has left.
Based off the timeframe, my best guess at Top Speed's age, and such, I think the odds are good that Top Speed is three months pregnant. That comment makes it sound like she is more worried about someone else's sake than her own, which matches up with her personality.

The main website lists plans for 4 BD/DVD releases, with 12 total episodes. I'm just hoping things don't feel too rushed and everyone gets some time to shine, or I guess some of them could show up in potential future seasons. They've done a good job so far, hopefully things don't deteriorate.

We don't actually know, but this is a dark show, and she looks crazy, so she's probably not the type that goes around rescuing puppies. She seems like a Yandere type to me personally, so anyone who gets close to Snow White is an enemy. Plus whoever kills La Pucelle gets hype points, and right now Alice is the one that most needs an impressive showing if she's going to be a threat.

Honestly, I kinda feel like the story is trying to trick us with her. Based off of her name, appearance and desire to find Snow White I think we're supposed to believe she's out to get her, but it could honestly just as easily be that she wants to thank the white magical girl who helped her at some point. She could also help save La Pucelle or take La Pucelle's place as Snow White's partner.

Whatever the case, I think it's a bit too early to tell for sure.

pbayne

I believe it's already confirmed to be 12 episodes, which what I've heard of the LNs should be more than adequate. The first volume covers the entirety of the first battle royale with each 1 or 2 volumes afterwards following a different one with a different cast of characters.

Seems to mostly be an anthology series.

The main website lists plans for 4 BD/DVD releases, with 12 total episodes. I'm just hoping things don't feel too rushed and everyone gets some time to shine, or I guess some of them could show up in potential future seasons. They've done a good job so far, hopefully things don't deteriorate.

Well there it is. I agree i hope it maintains its focus on the characters and doesn't just devolve into "who's gonna die this week?".

The anthology type series sounds really interesting(because i think its been implied so far that Cranberry has taken part in one before). Mostly because i fully expected a half twist that when they get down to 8, Fav will come out and tell them that's there's only really space for one or something like that.

Im honestly thinking about dropping this.
While I enjoy it mostly the recent Walking Dead discussion had me thinking that I honestly don't want to watch shows with just constant killings for no real reason.
I know its trying to follow Madoka but that at least had a sense purpose to it.
This just feels like lets have mostly innocent people die constantly for "teh suffering"

Cornbread78

While I enjoy it mostly the recent Walking Dead discussion had me thinking that I honestly don't want to watch shows with just constant killings for no real reason.
This just feels like lets have mostly innocent people die constantly for "teh suffering"

True, but we don't really know why it is happening just yet. I'm sure they wanted to shroud the whole thing in mystery, which is why they are keeping us in the dark in regards to the motivations behind everything...

Does this really have less of a sense of purpose than Madoka? Not really sure what you mean by that.

Does this really have less of a sense of purpose than Madoka? Not really sure what you mean by that.

I guess you could say I feel the entire premise is too contrived just to set up a death battle between innocent people.

Madoka on the other hand was just alot of bad stuff in general leading to its darkness.
Madoka feels like its going somewhere, this is basically just root for someone to survive while others are guaranteed killed for no real reason.
also having characters die from monsters compared to automatic death/magical girls fighting each-other to survive.

Thats just me though and really its only coming up from the recent Walking Dead discussions.

Next few episode spoilers!!!!!!:
I could probably just roll with it but seeing who dies next... Its definitely going that direction I don't care to follow

Szadek

Episode 5
I just hate-watching this show at this point since it was very disappoting for me.
This episode focused on a few characters we haven't seen too much of. The problem is, they are just as bland as everyone else.
For some reason there was a pretty long comdey seqment in this episode,because that's apperently what this deathgame anime needs...
The fight scene was alright I guess.

Also, that one black haird girl on the bus is probably Alice. Why else would they gives such a good look at her?
Not that it really matters who anyone is the normal world since the normal world doesn't matter at all in this anime.

For someone who wants to watch the Madoka series, what are the best ones to watch? There's stuff like Mahou Shoujo, Lyrical Nanoha, etc. but I just want to watch the really good ones.

Quick background: I saw this thread pop up several days ago and it inspired me to get around to watching Madoka, which I was only made aware of fairly recently (and instantly intrigued by the premise).

I fucking adored Madoka. I binged the whole series plus the movie in a day. I couldn't tear myself away from it. I'm now caught up on this show, and yeah, in comparison it's pretty unimpressive. It's not terrible in its own right, but it's impossible to ignore the obvious influence and I'm still coming down from that Madoka high
/crippling depression
. I'll probably keep watching, because why not. It's interesting enough and there's still plenty of potential in the premise. Hopefully it moves beyond or at least justifies all the obvious tropes its heavily leaning on, and if not, whatever.

Madoka, though. Holy shit. It's not like I watch a ton of anime, or anything, but I can safely say it's now one of my favorites. What an incredible use of the medium.

Nia

My friend is watching this. We both enjoyed Madoka, and she wants me to watch this. However I've never cared for death games. Getting invested in any character in a show like this when they can just drop dead whenever is a waste of time to me. So I haven't taken her up on her request, and from what I've read in this thread it seems like the right decision.

FluxWaveZ

However I've never cared for death games. Getting invested in any character in a show like this when they can just drop dead whenever is a waste of time to me.

I love "Death Games" because no one has plot armor (except for usually the protagonist) and their deaths can be swift and unexpected. The motivations and relationships of characters in these shows, as well as their unique abilities/weapons and how they use them, make them really compelling to me.

This is also why I think I don't have the same complaints some in this thread do. I do like it when there's some good world building to give context to why a Battle Royale scenario is even happening at all, but there are so few of these kinds of specific stories that I'm just glad to follow along even without that. Alternate selves gives it a unique touch to it that I appreciate, too.

FluxWaveZ

I knew Hardgore would turn out to be an ally (?) to replace La Pucelle, but I didn't realize he'd get offed so soon. Dude should have just fled; he was too naive and didn't even realize he put himself into a fight to the death.

They shouldn't have put that break screen describing Alice's ability. Immediately when she got decapitated, I knew that she'd come back. Wasn't sure whether Magicaloid 44 was going to go away after 1 kill or stay to kill another, but the latter would for sure mean that she was going to die and, welp...

At first I wondered why people would even want to kill each other at all, but the fact that it means no one gets dropped out in a week makes sense and gives it a good incentive.

Sterok

Uh oh, starting off with Magicaloid's backstory. Never a good sign. She's an odd one, running away from home, yet being kind to people helping her. La Pucelle vs Cranberry was bloody. First two fights weren't nearly this bad.
I should stop predicting. Cranberry is brutal. La Pucelle never stood a chance. And then to go out via car accident. Not pretty. Seems that Cranberry knows more of what's going on and is conspiring with Fav. I don't see 8 of them surviving at this point. Snow White is starting to break down. Even she couldn't remain pure for long. But she can't break down fast enough. Swim Swim gets points for really looking out for her team. Setting herself up as the final boss. Maybe Tama has a chance to survive all this with her new cloak. Top Speed is looking more and more likely to be pregnant. Mary's idea of loyalty is weird, but I guess she figured if Magicaloid was willing to cross the line for her, she can probably be used. Too bad she chose to target the near immortal Hardgore Alice. So long Magicaloid 44. You were a great robot. Alice is probably going to be on Snow White's side for the moment. Doesn't look like the ideal kind of ally, but Snow White needs whoever she can get at this point.

RIP La Pucelle. Kinda dumb not to flee. It looked like she had a couple good chances to try and get out by the skin of her teeth and she was getting a serious beat down. Still, it seemed very likely she was going to die going in, so it wasn't a shock.

As for Magicaloid's death, that could've been a pretty tense scene if they didn't outright give away that Alice would live in the eye catch. Seriously, why do that? Looking over the girls who haven't had an eye catch, I get that they don't want to reveal too much about those left and they probably want to group the twins, but why not plan better and put Swim's power there? Just dumb. I'll miss her though, she was pretty funny.

Alice being the replacement for Pucelle is similarly not too surprising. Snow White was going to need a replacement partner, and I still think they tried to push the evil angle too obviously with her name and design. She could do worse than an ally who can infinitely heal.

Swim Swim gets points for being a great leader. Taking that 25 year bullet and then trading it to someone who is better suited for it is clever and the mark of a leader who actually cares. Sad that a little girl gave that time up, but that's right up Fav's alley. Love the weapon name too. This group is definitely one to watch.

We were overdue for some lynchings, so it was nice to see some serious shit in this episode. I wish they'd maybe expanded on the Snow White/Hardgore Alice/Magicaloid 44 scene, but I guess they have more ground to cover and wanted to try to make it a fast paced scene.

Magical Girl Raising Project 6
Poor La Pucelle, I really wanted the ship with Snow White to sail. So of course she had to go. That said, I can't believe we got 2 deaths this episode. That was absolutely brutal and I loved every moment of it.

I honestly thought for a moment that the new girl was going to be permanently offed, thinking that it was a fake out, but halfway through that scene I began to think something was off. Either way, I did not expect that Metalloid would also be offered in the episode too.

So now I'm assuming the new girl Alice is going to team up with Snow White... though I wonder if they will expand their team some more too. Part of me thinks they may join up with Top Speed and Ripple to form a party of 4, but I'm not sure.

FluxWaveZ

It's kind of weird that Snow White is all alone and that she hasn't sought out any teammates or that no one else has sought her out. She used to be the one everyone cared about back when it was about the leaderboards, but now that no one cares about gathering candies, no one really cares about Snow White either except for Hardgore Alice.

It's kind of weird that Snow White is all alone and that she hasn't sought out any teammates or that no one else has sought her out. She used to be the one everyone cared about back when it was about the leaderboards, but now that no one cares about gathering candies, no one really cares about Snow White either except for Hardgore Alice.

It's odd that we didn't get any reaction from Sister Nana regarding La Pucelle's death. I'm hoping that will come into play later, as she did train La Pucelle. I know she's more interested and involved with Winterprison, but having no reaction felt a little out of place. If anyone would've tried to find Snow White to comfort her or get her to join their cause, I would've thought it'd be her and that would've been the perfect timing. Then again, from Snow White's perspective I think she's just gone off the grid to mourn for a while, so maybe people were having a hard time finding her. I expect she'll pick up more allies than just Alice as we move forward (namely Ripple).

As for candies, I do think people care, it's just rapidly falling to the wayside for screentime. Killing and stealing is more fun to see than good deeds for points. Ripple and Top Speed are still active, and I assume the nun duo probably do some stuff. I expect Snow White to get back up and start doing some good stuff, if only so people have something to try to steal from her. Calamity Mary probably continues to get candy for doing bad stuff. I think we've just focussed on the fighting so much that candy stuff has fallen into the background.

shaowebb

I watched up till the next episode...Madoka its not. The characters are WAY to nonchalant about attempting to kill someone. They're way too unrealistic about how they conduct most things. Its more like a harem anime's portrayal of an all girl cast of one dimensional personalities and no doubts about what they should do in any situation except theres no Gary Stu central figure like in harem anime for lonely fans to self insert themselves upon.

I don't really see this one being memorable unless some folks in the cast get REALLY shaken up and shellshocked soon by consequences. Folks need to be more scared and less about "popularity competition as a magical girl'. Doing good with no actual empathy completely out of selfishness needs to be emphasized more. Folks portraying heroines who actually are not good people underneath the glamor needs to happen soon. Characters need to have their confident kind heroine facades crack and very openly too.

As is...this seems like a really half hearted attempt to do a take on Madoka Magica's good story device except with no actual understanding of how important the way that show chose to execute such plot points were.

Its fluff and its failing to pull off drama or even decent characterization.

FluxWaveZ

I feel there are too many comparisons to Madoka Magica. While having the same inspired framework, it's obvious the purpose of their stories are completely different.

Razmos

That was a great episode. The "Fight" Between La Pucelle and Cranberry was cool, and the way Cranberry used her sound manipulation power was awesome.

La Pucelle's death wasn't surprising, but still hard to watch.

The way Fav's voice changed when he was talking alone with Cranberry was really sinister, I liked that.

Alas poor Magicaloid, we hardly knew ye. Though you were a bit of a bitch from what I could tell.
I didn't even realize at first that it was Alice (sans head) who killed her. Nice. Kinda sucked that her ability was spoiled like that.

Apparently this show is going to be 53 episodes
covering multiple death games with different characters

FluxWaveZ

That was a great episode. The "Fight" Between La Pucelle and Cranberry was cool, and the way Cranberry used her sound manipulation power was awesome.

Wait, did I miss something? When did we learn Cranberry's power was sound manipulation?

Razmos

Wait, did I miss something? When did we learn Cranberry's power was sound manipulation?
She's tricked Winterprison with the sound of Sister Nana's voice in the previous episode, and made the sound of alarms to distract La Pucelle in this one

Razmos

Wait, what!? Where was that revealed
I saw it on the comments on another site, and another site showed the latest episode as 6/53. But I'm looking around and not really seeing a source for it. So maybe not?

It might just be an assumption based on the length of the source material

Apparently this show is going to be 53 episodes
covering multiple death games with different characters

The official website indicates 12 episodes for the first season last I checked. 53 would be hella ambitious for this.

She's tricked Winterprison with the sound of Sister Nana's voice in the previous episode, and made the sound of alarms to distract La Pucelle in this one
It also fits with her being a bit of a musician with the violin.

Cornbread78

Oh my, this was a HUUUUGE escalation in blood and despair. The action scene was pretty intense, but I was not expecting La Pucelle to get killed so soon and especially not THAT WAY!! Daaaamn. What a brutal way to go and very unexpected at this point in the story. I thought Calamity Jane was going to do all the murdering of other magical girls. Magicloid's murder was also chilling and thst cliffhanger yo, damn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom