• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Raising Project |OT| Madoka x Future Diary = Magical Girl Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Getting a little tired of the bumpers spoiling girls and their abilities.

Might completely ignore them moving forward. Thought that they were designed to give you the right amount of additional info for what would come next, but the Hardgore Alice one was really unnecessary.

I don't think it was that bad until this episode. Aside from maybe the one for Swim Swim, although even that wasn't too bad and didn't take the surprise away from her betrayal of Ruler.

It just boggles my mind that anyone thought that Alice eye catch was a good idea. The scene at the end could've been a really hyped and shocking cliff hanger, but revealing her power at the halfway mark took a lot of the fun and tension from the scene.

Might completely ignore them moving forward. Thought that they were designed to give you the right amount of additional info for what would come next, but the Hardgore Alice one was really unnecessary.

I don't think it was that bad until this episode. Aside from maybe the one for Swim Swim, although even that wasn't too bad and didn't take the surprise away from her betrayal of Ruler.

It just boggles my mind that anyone thought that Alice eye catch was a good idea. The scene at the end could've been a really hyped and shocking cliff hanger, but revealing her power at the halfway mark took a lot of the fun and tension from the scene.

Exactly. It took most of the teeth right out of that last scene. Granted, due to the typical rules of pacing, there was no way they'd introduce a character an episode ago and kill her off after only 2 scenes but it at least would have had more punch while we try and figure out what her power might be.

That would be interesting.. She already just took 25 yrs off of her lifespan..

Speaking of that, that was honestly a really good thing for her to do from a leadership standpoint. With the simple act of shaving off 25 years of her own life, and having her subordinate shave off 3 years, and then swapping the items because they suited each other better is an amazing way for her to build up trust and loyalty within the team

It's especially more fitting because for her since she is the youngest, those 25 years are basically nothing... the difference of living from 88yrs to living 63yrs so she knows she can easily take that hit

At a rate of 1-2 bumpers an episode, and with characters constantly dying, we'll run out of characters to have a bumper for eventually.

Anyhow, I've just learned to ignore them

pbayne

Apparently this show is going to be 53 episodes
covering multiple death games with different characters

Shit that would be awesome if true.

Wait, did I miss something? When did we learn Cranberry's power was sound manipulation?

The hilarious thing is does she even need a power since she's so good at hand to hand fighting?

Episode 6

Bah God its a bloodbath.
The items were a fun twist. And as expected Cranberry has taken part in previous games. Thought the Mary and Magaloid scene was really funny, that she didn't trust her and was just waiting/hoping to get an item that would kill her some day.
Bets on next to die:
Top Speed.

Also, I don't know if it was made clear in the lite novels but what happened with Ruler's body anyway? The show cuts to her bloodied corpse after it was announced she had the lowest candies but there has no indication of how she died like that, compared to Nemurin who just had a heart attack.

Szadek

Souta died, which was about as suprising as the sunrise, but at least it wasn't as pointless as magicaloid 44's death (why does a robot bleed?), who only died to show us Alices power, which was already given away anyway.
Maybe these flashbacks for Souta would have some impact if this wasn't the first time that we see them.
Actually, no it wouldn't since at this point it's pretty clear that backstroy = Death.
Usually backstroy is a good way to makes give a shit about a character, but in a show like this it has the opposite effect, because as soon as learn about them, we know that they are fucked.

Fav motiovationn is stupid and makes no sense. You know what would be better than 8 (or probably even less) magical girls for whatever task you want them to do?
16 Magical girls!
No to mention that he wants a hero, but games like this one favors sociopaths.

Top Speed is obviously super dead. Her "6 months" is this show equivalent to "I'm only 2 days away from retirement"

Kenstar

La Pucelle could have won if he wasn't so damn much of a Magical girl
you nearly died 5 seconds ago to this berry bitch and you turn around because of sirens?
she needs to be cut into tiny pieces before you can sleep at night

(why does a robot bleed?)

Even if her transformation did completely change her into a robot (which it seemingly didn't), when they die they return to their human forms. So even if she didn't bleed as a robot, she would've bled out from having a huge hole in her chest when she reverted back to her human form after dying as a magical girl. There's a limit to the damage they can bounce back from as magical girls.

Damn, Hardgore Alice is OP. I thought she was gonna be clingy and a little weird, but yeah, something is definitely way off with her lol. And she is pretty damn strong too.

Kinda not surprised that Snow White ended up with the Rabbit's Foot. Her getting more luck feels far more fitting than her getting a weapon, although maybe Danganronpa has made me used to the protagonist having extra luck in a death game (overtly so, anyway). Would've been nice if she bought it herself, but I guess they didn't want the protag to sacrifice anything. Hopefully Alice has a compelling reason for being obsessed with her.

The eventual Calamity Mary/Ripple/Top Speed meeting will not go well, obviously. Especially if they actually do ditch the first one. Ms. Six Months is definitely gonna be in trouble, or used to up the ante for Ripple. Mary is clearly psycho and has a wounded ego, and these three were obviously gonna confront each other ever since that first flashback, so that should be interesting.

Looking forward to next week... Gonna be cool to see Swim's Group take on Winterprison and Nana. I'm gonna guess Nana and/or one of the twins bite it, but we'll see.

I've started actively looking away form the screen for the bumpers. Mary's attempts to kill Alice ramped up so high it was actually kind of comical.

I've started actively looking away form the screen for the bumpers. Mary's attempts to kill Alice ramped up so high it was actually kind of comical.

Eye catches weren't bad this week but next week should be Cranberry and Mary, which could be spoilery when looking at their real selves. I'll probably risk it, but hopefully this isn't another Alice situation.

And yeah, Alice's power was pretty damn OP. Mary turned her into sludge, covered her in salt, dumped her into the ocean and she still healed... Wondering what her drawback is, as Ruler's seemed impressive until you learned her limitation. I can't imagine Fav would give her something that broken. Healing aside, Alice is pretty freaking strong. Either she takes fighting lessons IRL, or knowing that she can heal totally removed her inhibitions.

giphy.gif

Eye catches weren't bad this week but next week should be Cranberry and Mary, which could be spoilery when looking at their real selves. I'll probably risk it, but hopefully this isn't another Alice situation.

And yeah, Alice's power was pretty damn OP. Mary turned her into sludge, covered her in salt, dumped her into the ocean and she still healed... Wondering what her drawback is, as Ruler's seemed impressive until you learned her limitation. I can't imagine Fav would give her something that broken. Healing aside, Alice is pretty freaking strong. Either she takes fighting lessons IRL, or knowing that she can heal totally removed her inhibitions.

giphy.gif

Pretty sure that was cement in the barrel, not salt. I feel in fiction, the best way to deal with a character that can't die is to render them physically a non threat. So one would need to dismember her and move her pieces to separate locations. Keep her head in a jar for advice

Iax6u5X.jpg

Sterok

So Calamity Mary did care a bit about Magicaloid. I guess she did like hanging around someone. Bloody hell, Hardgore Alice really is invincible. Blown up, burnt to ashes, stuffed into a container, thrown into the sea, and she still comes back no worse for wear. Shame Magicaloid is gone, because unless Swim Swim has something really broken Magicaloid getting a teleport to the moon gun or something seems to be the only way to beat her. Other than Alice dropping out, but that isn't happening while people are dying. Of course the twins are university students with that level of deviousness and immaturity. Ripple is one of those people who life always kicks around, and her response is to be violent. Top Speed getting through to her is a miracle. And she can even guilt trip Ripple. Alice's aims remain a mystery, but she is on Snow White's side. Swim Swim has an evil plan. Since Winterprison is on the verge of coming to a revelation, she's probably safe, so Sister Nana is probably the next victim.

So how does Snow White's power work exactly? I thought it was just finding people in trouble, which kind of sucks in a death game, but her eye catch said she can hear the thoughts of people in trouble, which seems like mind reading under the correct circumstances. That could be rather more useful.

FluxWaveZ

Sister Nana's heading into an ambush, obviously. Bummer, since it was looking like Snow White could finally find herself a proper team. I don't think that's gonna be happening with whatever Swim Swim has planned, and Snow White's gonna be left with Hardgore Alice again.

I guess I'd be a bit freaked out too with my introduction to Hardgore being the way it was, but at least talk to her a bit, heh. Snow was totally avoiding her, despite the possibility of Hardgore being her greatest ally.

She has one hell of an ability. Everything Calamity Mary did means that she really can't be killed off in any way. Apparently since magical girls can't go insane, either, being killed multiple times seemingly won't have an effect on her psyche.

So how does Snow White's power work exactly? I thought it was just finding people in trouble, which kind of sucks in a death game, but her eye catch said she can hear the thoughts of people in trouble, which seems like mind reading under the correct circumstances. That could be rather more useful.

I just went back to episode 1 & 2 to reference this. Basically she listens, hears people's thoughts of anguish, and can pinpoint their exact location after hearing their thoughts. I'm assuming she'll eventually use it to come to the aide of one of the other "good" magical girls in trouble. Maybe the nun duo in the next episode, although I kinda feel like it'll come into play perhaps later on.

Sister Nana's heading into an ambush, obviously. Bummer, since it was looking like Snow White could finally find herself a proper team. I don't think that's gonna be happening with whatever Swim Swim has planned, and Snow White's gonna be left with Hardgore Alice again.

I guess I'd be a bit freaked out too with my introduction to Hardgore being the way it was, but at least talk to her a bit, heh. Snow was totally avoiding her, despite the possibility of Hardgore being her greatest ally.

I actually kinda don't blame her for fleeing from Alice... Everything about her is so intensely creepy and stalker-ish, and that's not counting the gory introduction. I would've talked more, especially because of the rabbit's foot, but I get her being freaked out and not wanting to be alone with her.

I think there's a chance Snow White will get whichever of the couple survives Swim's trap. Although if Winterprison is the one who survives, she might choose to go solo without Nana.

Cornbread78

OK, Hardcore Alice is a complete freak of nature and her power of removing herself from her physical presence and reforming is quite formidable. Mary tried everything to kill her to no avail...

Also, Ripple is sooo dead next week, the same for Top Speed You know she pregnant by all the non-responses....

With only 5 episodes left and still 5 girls that need to be "removed" it looks like it will be a bloody few weeks to go.

Razmos

I've just had a thought, the opening scene of the show showed a magical girl surrounded by corpses fighting a monster, and with Fav's mention of the girls "having to be strong enough to be real heroes"...

I wonder if either the monsters are a genuine threat that they are picking the best magical girls to fight (hence Magical Girl raising project) or the monster itself is created by the deaths of the girls and that once the count is down to 8 girls a fight for survival begins against the monster until only one is left standing.

Perhaps the first attempt as seen in the cold open was a genuine attempt to raise magical girls that ended in horror, and this attempt is being orchestrated by the survivor (Cranberry)

Cornbread78

I've just had a thought, the opening scene of the show showed a magical girl surrounded by corpses fighting a monster, and with Fav's mention of the girls "having to be strong enough to be real heroes"...

I wonder if either the monsters are a genuine threat that they are picking the best magical girls to fight (hence Magical Girl raising project) or the monster itself is created by the deaths of the girls and that once the count is down to 8 girls a fight for survival begins against the monster until only one is left standing.

Perhaps the first attempt as seen in the cold open was a genuine attempt to raise magical girls that ended in horror, and this attempt is being orchestrated by the survivor (Cranberry)

It's still tough to say since they are holding sooo much back from the story and what the deal is with Fav/Cranberry and Fav/Mary

There is stuff going on behind the scenes, that we just don't know yet..

FluxWaveZ

Also, Ripple is sooo dead next week, the same for Top Speed You know she pregnant by all the non-responses....

With the flashback scene, I could see it as a death flag for Ripple, but I don't necessarily see Top Speed getting offed soon. If anything, I could see her having a face-heel turn because of her "6 months" motivation.

I think Ripple will be fine for now. I'm not getting major death flags yet. Of the two I feel Top Speed is probably more likely to die, although that's pending what they reveal with the 6 month stuff (pregnancy seems likely, but I'm not ruling out something else). I could see her sacrifice/death motivating Ripple to be more open and proactive with others, but again it depends where they go with her secret.

turmoil

Banned
I would like Winterprison to die so that Nana would have to use her buffing power on useless White Snow or 'defensive' Hardgore Alice. It would be fun to see what strategy they can use to cope with the others.

Looks like just about everyone except for Sister Nana and maybe Cranberry are converging in on or near one location. Next week is definitely going to be a bloodbath. Between Mary and Swim's group, the death count is definitely gonna rise.

I am excited for everyone jumping into the fray. It will be nice to see Snow White be in the thick of it, and I'm sure her rabbit's foot will play into things. Should be good next week.

I expected things to get bloody at the shrine, and it's not like it hasn't been up until this point, but seeing Yunael get her head smashed by Winterprison was a shock. I even expected one of the twins to die and I was still surprised by how brutal Winterprison was. Speaking of, I'm sad that Winterprison died. I liked her, and figured she might be one of the fighters for the good guys, but guess not.

Top Speed is definitely preggers, although that seemed very likely already. Mary being a drunk housewife is fitting, and she's definitely not all there. And if I were Snow White, I'd feel mixed about Alice knowing where I live... Good and loyal protection, but she'd definitely give me the heebie geebies. At least she seems to have accepted her as a partner for now.

Magical Girl Raising Project Episode 8
Well, things are definitely starting to kick off, this episode was just absolutely brutal. The last 4 episodes are going to be an absolute bloodbath.

While I expected people to die this episode, how Winterprison and Yunael went out were brutal, what with one bleeding to death and the other having their head caved in with a rock. Other than that, It's nice to see that Snow White and Alice are getting along. Snow White still thinks she is creepy, but who wouldn't given the circumstances.

As for Bloody Mary, I figured she was an unstable person from circumstances at home, but she has just completely snapped considering she is outright murdering people on the streets in cold blood.

Sterok

I still suck at predicting this show.
Winterprison was really looking for a chance to just cut loose without Nana having to see her be vicious. At least she took down Yunael before she died. Minael is already crazy, and Nana will either go crazy or catatonic. She probably blames herself, and it is kind of her fault seeing that she knows they attacked Snow White earlier. Swim Swim's power is still unknown. Top Speed is kind of young to be a housewife, though I guess a 7-year difference from her husband isn't that bad? Cranberry remains a mystery. Mary really is just an all around awful person. So it was a trap all along. Kind of disappointing, but I'm more curious as to why Ripple is such threat to Fav's plans.Well, Calamity Mary sure lives up to her name. I don't see Mary making it through next week, and someone else is sure to bite it since it should have everyone except maybe Nana on the scene. I'm sure once they're down to eight it'll go from bad to worse.

Nana will either go crazy or catatonic. She probably blames herself, and it is kind of her fault seeing that she knows they attacked Snow White earlier. Swim Swim's power is still unknown.

I feel like Nana is going to go through a depression arc similar to Snow White's. Depressed and withdrawn for a couple episodes, and then get up and help the good guys when it counts.

She does seem blame herself, but I'm not sure if she knew that they attacked Snow White? She thanks them for the candy, and she seemed pretty oblivious to the circumstances surrounding it. Cranberry was aware of La Pucelle beating Tama and the twins, but she has Fav giving her info, so I'm not sure how wide spread knowledge of that incident was. In general the show seems to depict her as naive (Winterprison warning her to be more on guard, Top Speed mocking her, Magicaloid conning her, etc.), but she did try to admonish Mary, so I think she would've approached this differently if she knew.

As for Swim Swim, we know her power from the episode 3 eye catch. Spoiler?
She can dive into anything as if it were water and swim around. If you read One Piece, it basically sounds like Señor Pink's devil fruit power.

Sterok

She does seem blame herself, but I'm not sure if she knew that they attacked Snow White? She thanks them for the candy, and she seemed pretty oblivious to the circumstances surrounding it. [/SPOILER]

Didn't Nana mention to Ripple and Top Speed that there were already magical girls trying to steal other people's candy? At that point Snow White/La Pucelle vs Ruler's group was the only fight that had occurred.

Didn't Nana mention to Ripple and Top Speed that there were already magical girls trying to steal other people's candy? At that point Snow White/La Pucelle vs Ruler's group was the only fight that had occurred.

They seem to know bits and pieces, but I'm not sure just how much they knew. If we assume that they all knew about La Pucelle taking down 3 magical girls trying to steal her candy, she may not have known about the rest of the situation. She specifically says that they all need to band together, and weeps in despair that they've lost "good people like Ruler," so either she is extremely naive and forgiving or she doesn't know the full picture. I guess it could go either way.

FluxWaveZ

Everyone one who was part of Ruler's team were immature, borderline psychotic brats.

Winterprison probably could have escaped, too, instead of pulling off a heroic sacrifice. Well, it seemed more like she wanted to stick around to beat their asses out of rage for the ambush.

It didn't seem like Cranberry was too into the fact that she couldn't get her 1v1 against Winterprison, so I'm guessing she might face Swim Swim's team in the upcoming party.

It didn't seem like Cranberry was too into the fact that she couldn't get her 1v1 against Winterprison, so I'm guessing she might face Swim Swim's team in the upcoming party.

I'm juiced for that fight. I'm not sure if they are foreshadowing that for after the upcoming brawl, but based off of how they were framing the ending I could see it happening or at least starting next episode. If they do have Cranberry join in, this will be the ultimate fight night.

Whenever it is, seeing Cranberry go at it with Swim's group should be epic. Especially because it'll test her theory about weak girls buying the items, and almost all 4 of the girls are pretty bloodthirsty or insane at this point. Swim's pretty adept, but Cranberry will be a big test for her.

I lost track of time a bit, how much time elapsed between the meeting with Swim Swim's group and Mary's rampage? Also they seem to have given up on explaining how they're getting rid of bodies at this point.

So these girls can just start killing random people with no consequences huh, Monofish sure has a broad idea of what constitutes a magical girl and craziness.

Cornbread78

SqDh6UR.jpg

Death, death everywhere! A couple bloody battles and terrible deaths this week. Kinda of sad actually... The "bad" girls are definitely outnumbering the good one at this point.

The "bad" girls are definitely outnumbering the good one at this point.
I think they're even right now.

Good: Snow White, Hardgore Alice, Ripple, Top Speed, and Sister Nana

Bad: Calamity Mary, Swim Swim, Minael, Tama (who at the very least wants to do good), and Cranberry

I would say that in terms of raw power, weapons and organization, the bad girls do probably currently win in that regard.

I lost track of time a bit, how much time elapsed between the meeting with Swim Swim's group and Mary's rampage?

It's not 100% clear other than it's in the same night. I would say that it happened within an hour or two.

If that were the case, then when did the scene of Nana crying in to the scarf take place?

Going back and rewatching the end of last episode, we had the scene where Fav informs Top Speed and Ripple that Mary wants to meet in 2 days, followed immediately by a scene switch to Nana and Winterprison approaching Swim's hideout.

So it actually looks like the Mary rampage takes place 2 days after the night of Winterprison and Yunael's deaths. Which would also explain Cranberry asking about Winterprison's death, as she probably wouldn't have known immediately.

My interpretation based off of where Swim's group was at was that things are taking place in one night, as they seemed to more or less be in the same place and state where we left them. The show can also have an odd way of handling flashbacks, so based off of my memory I figured the Top Speed stuff was basically what happened earlier in the day leading up to that.

Going back and rewatching the end of last episode, we had the scene where Fav informs Top Speed and Ripple that Mary wants to meet in 2 days, followed immediately by a scene switch to Nana and Winterprison approaching Swim's hideout.

So it actually looks like the Mary rampage takes place 2 days after the night of Winterprison and Yunael's deaths. Which would also explain Cranberry asking about Winterprison's death, as she probably wouldn't have known immediately.

My interpretation based off of where Swim's group was at was that things are taking place in one night, as they seemed to more or less be in the same place and state where we left them. The show can also have an odd way of handling flashbacks, so based off of my memory I figured the Top Speed stuff was basically what happened earlier in the day leading up to that.

Two days makes sense. I forgot about that part, so that at least gives a time frame.

Edit: Well, makes sense other than how do they get rid of a body that's been stabbed and de-armified as well as one that's had its head crushed, in a quiet manner. Mechanaloid 44 could just be left at the docks but Swim Swim's posse had do dispose of their mess somehow, unless they just had Tama bury them.

Edit: Well, makes sense other than how do they get rid of a body that's been stabbed and de-armified as well as one that's had its head crushed, in a quiet manner. Mechanaloid 44 could just be left at the docks but Swim Swim's posse had do dispose of their mess somehow, unless they just had Tama bury them.

In episode 6 Cranberry questions Fav about an article related to Ruler that says there is a disfigured corpse that's been found in the woods that the police are trying to identify. Fav admits to messing with and moving the bodies so regular humans don't raise too many questions.

So Swim could've randomly dumped the bodies like Ruler's and Fav could've fixed the situation again. Or yeah, Tama could've buried them. Same for Magicaloid's abandoned body.

Magical Girls also have a power that makes regular humans only retain vague memories of meeting/seeing/interacting with them if they want, so the girls could've used that power when/if they moved the bodies themselves.

turmoil

Banned
I think that snow white hasn't interacted with anyone but her school friends in the real world (that we are aware of) right? Because I can't grasp why someone would want to protect her.

Alice is the next in line to die imo, so that snow white learns to fight for the sake of the ones that sacrificed themselves for her. As of the means... a bottomless pit dug by tama maybe? If tama were to die too swim swim would be utter fucked.

Cornbread78

I think that snow white hasn't interacted with anyone but her school friends in the real world (that we are aware of) right? Because I can't grasp why someone would want to protect her.

Alice is the next in line to die imo, so that snow white learns to fight for the sake of the ones that sacrificed themselves for her. As of the means... a bottomless pit dug by tama maybe? If tama were to die too swim swim would be utter fucked.

How do they kill Alice though? Even CJane couldn't..

Szadek

Alice will die sooner or later, because finding a way to counter her power is the only intersting thing they can do with it now.

I don't think think Alice is the next to die (my bets are on Top Speed or Mary dying next), but I do wonder if there's a drawback or stipulation to her power. Even Ruler's ability had a condition. If not, someone is either going to have to shoot her into space, bury her 50 feet underground or something else ridiculous.

As for why she's obsessed with Snow White, my bet is that it might be related to that fire from episode two. If it's not that then she's maybe obsessed because of the stuff she read on the magical girl tracking pages. Can't think of anything else that would garner this level of obsession, unless it happened off screen.

turmoil

Banned
Well, her ability is so broken that I can't see other way than solving it a la kars, and that's where tama's power would have a major role in the plot.

Kikirin

There's always the candies route to dealing with her, though with the current death count it'd be weeks before the next last-ranker is knocked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom