• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

Toki767

This many Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Mobile Phone
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King WiiWare
Dissidia Final Fantasy
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adolun
Final Fantasy XIV (Realm Reborn)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Missing Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster lol.

That's a crap load of games.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno what you are talking about duckroll there's no game called Final Fantasy Versus XIII, you sir are full of it. Also in completely unrelated news i'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy XV for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One systems.

Ganondorfo

FF had entries since 2006 (and how! See above). But being teased one particular game for 8 years..?

You are right. I haven't thought it like that. Has ever something happened like this in the movie industry or even in the videogame industry? I can only think of Duke Nukem Forever and Diablo 3.

Persona 3 was released in Japan 2 months after Versus was announced.
FES was released in 2007
Persona 4 in 2008
Persona 3: Portable in 2009
Persona 1 PSP in 2009
Persona 2: IS PSP in 2011
P2: EP PSP in 2012
P4 Golden in 2012
P4 Arena in 2012

The Persona series was entirely revived and rebooted into Atlus' biggest property after Versus was first announced.

You forgot:

Persona 4 Arena in Ultimax 2014
Persona Q in 2014

and still probably Persona: Dancing All Night

and maybe even Persona 5.

Goddamnit, Square Enix.

Phazon

As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Bandai Namco Holdings sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007. Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo.

Development since being first party:
- Soma Bringer
- Disaster: Day of Crisis
- Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Xenoblade Chronicles X

Development co-operation since being first party on:
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier EXCEED
- Project X Zone
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Pikmin 3
- The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Source: Wikipedia

RedSwirl

Just thinking, when/if this game actually does come out, how much content from the original 2006/2007 build do you think will be there?

The design document was written on a Windows XP computer.

Jesus. Since then we've gone through Vista, 7, 8, and it looks like we're about to see Windows 9.

Peff

More time has now passed from its announcement to now than from the release of MGS1 to the announcement.

Man, imagine the amount of games the team would have made instead of having versus as a dead weight to them. Only facepalm worthy for this situation.

kung-fu-hustle-o.gif

The Last Guardian seems to be following suit.

EDIT: I think with every development studio, there has to be an enough is enough. Seriously.

In 2006 you needed a college email to use Facebook, YouTube still limited videos to 10 minutes and SD resolution and had just been bought by Google, and there were no smartphones.

Ivan 3414

Most of these factoids are just things completely irrelevant to Final Fantasy XV, that coincidentally occurred during its (non)development. This doesn't impress me; I know how long ago 2006 was.

This many Final Fantasy games:

This list, however, totally highlights how much dawdling has occurred with XV's development.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I think everyone, including the company, is well aware they made a mistake announcing this project so early. How long are we going to punish them for that?

• The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
These two are the most eye opening ones for me. Mobile is such a large thing now that a number of people see it as a direct threat to the core market and dedicated hardware, and Versus XIII was announced before it was even really a thing. Indie games are also far more relevant now.

Another one:

I'm pretty sure Versus was announced before Google brought YouTube.

RedSwirl

The game is also as old as PC multicore processors.

Which brings up another problem: We know the current build on the game is still running on parts of the old Crystal Tools engine. Fuck do we even know what happened to Luminous Engine?

Remember what happened when Duke Nukem Forever finally came out? It felt like it was about eight years behind the times technologically.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Persona 3 was released in Japan 2 months after Versus was announced.
FES was released in 2007
Persona 4 in 2008
Persona 3: Portable in 2009
Persona 1 PSP in 2009
Persona 2: IS PSP in 2011
P2: EP PSP in 2012
P4 Golden in 2012
P4 Arena in 2012
Ultimax Arcade in 2013
Ultimax Console in 2014
Persona Q in 2014
Persona 4: DAN in 2014
Persona 5 in 2015

+Two whole anime adapations of P4, a spinoff P3 anime, and two P3 animated films.

The Persona series was entirely revived and rebooted into Atlus' biggest property after Versus was first announced.

That's all nice and well until you realize Atlus essentially skipped HD gaming as well. Not far from what sn00zer displayed about SE in his post.

These two are the most eye opening ones for me. Mobile is such a large thing now that a number of people see it as a direct threat to the core market and dedicated hardware, and Versus XIII was announced before it was even really a thing. Indie games are also far more relevant now.

Another one:

I'm pretty sure Versus was announced before Google brought YouTube.

Amazon bought twitch, OS specific video game machines have been made, Amazon bought a few gaming studios, Hideo Kojima working with Guillermo Del Toro on a new Silent Hill.etc

- Surge of US troops in Iraq
- Withdrawal of US troops from Iraq
- Nancy Pelosi becomes the first female speaker of the house
- Castro resigns from his post in Cuba
- Obama won his first and second term
- The Curiosity rover was designed, engineered, fabricated, tested, integrated, launched and landed on the planet Mars.
- Sotomayor joins the SCOTUS
- Chile miners are trapped and rescued!
- Greece debt crisis
- Tesla designs, engineers, fabricates, mass produces and launches the most successful EV in history.
- Arab Spring
- Obama got Osama

Just some that I could think of!

And to think, we could potentially experience three generations of Nintendo handhelds while waiting for the first hands-on preview.

I think everyone, including the company, is well aware they made a mistake announcing this project so early. How long are we going to punish them for that?

I think there is a difference between announcing something early and something that so far took 8 years and counting for it to be done.

CorvoSol

There have been two US presidential elections.

I spent two full years in Brazil.

I'm finishing Junior year of college.

Persona 4 came out twice.

Russia has invaded at least two countries.

The entire financial crisis and eurozone crisis went down.

PLUTO WAS STILL A PLANET.

Heroes' hadn't bombed yet.

Children born when FFXV was announced will be in first grade.

Someone the other day wanted to make a point about DQ Heroes never releasing because of the FFXV precedent. I just did a quick count on Wikipedia, Omega Force have released 30 games in that timeframe.

The entire current Marvel Cinematic universe was born 2 years after the announcement of FFVXIII/FFXV
Within this timeframe, Marvel has produced 11 movies

Carlisle

I worked at RPGamer.com when it was announced. Since then I've quit, moved to Japan, moved back, changed jobs 6 times, visited 8 different countries, and gotten married.

Damn, Square.

With scans!

The original New Super Mario Bros wasn't out yet.

Well yeah, because 2D platformers were a dead genre. Nobody except Nintendo handheld titles could possibly justify making a 2D game, unless maybe it was one of those free Japanese "independent" games.

Just like 2D fighting games. Those were dead too.

Rezae

Nearly 73,000 hours have passed. 4.38 million minutes.

Miami Heat were about to become NBA champs (no Lebron)

Britney and K-Fed were a thing

"Bad Day" was #1 on the billboards

Oh and Sony was invincible.

Hexa

Until it comes out.
If its good then more or less things will be forgiven.
If its bad... It gets all the gate because how major the FF franchise is. But considering all the screw ups lately, if this ones bad, I think for a lot of people it'll fall into the realm of not really caring about the franchise as much anymore, which is a significantly worse state for SE.

Top Bottom