• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The number of "Tales of" Main/Flagship titles released

- Tales of Innocence
- Tales of Vesperia
- Tales of Hearts
- Tales of Graces
- Tales of Xillia
- Tales of Xillia 2
- Tales of Zestiria

Since XIII Versus XV was announced in 2006:

- Final Fantasy XI released 2 more expansions and several add-on scenarios, and reached 12 years online.

- Final Fantasy XIV was released on 2010, then rebooted into Final Fantasy XIV:ARR, while releasing more content for the original game. ARR have been one year in the market with the first expansion pack in the works and several content released in this time.

I-hate-u

Well yeah, because 2D platformers were a dead genre. Nobody except Nintendo handheld titles were possible, or free Japanese "independent" games.

Just like 2D fighting games. Those were dead too.

Thats a good one. SF2Turbo was still played as one of the main games at Evo.

I finished my degree, went travelling, got a job, got promoted, got a different job, bought and sold a flat, thinking about getting married. If I went back in time and told my 20 year old self that I would have done all of this before the game came out I wouldn't have believed it.

When FFVX was announced I was 12, about to turn 13 the next month. Assuming FFXV does release in 2016, depending on the month I'll be 22 or 23.

Let's not even get started on KH 3. Obviously we have had the handheld titles to hold us over and advance the story, but like FFXV, I was 12 when KH 2 came out and will probably be 24 when KH 3 is released assuming it comes out after FFXV and knowing SE that will maybe be 2017.

reminder

We had Weekly Famitsu threads to discuss the hottest Japanese console gaming news.

I miss those times :( Those threads were even better when scans were still allowed, but also after the ban of scans those threads were something to look forward to every week. Now there are barely any news coming from japan...

Averon

I think everyone, including the company, is well aware they made a mistake announcing this project so early. How long are we going to punish them for that?

When SE reintroduced the game back in 2013, they said that they will stop the cloak and dagger stuff regarding this game. It's 2014 and they're right back at it.

They shouldn't have made a big unveiling in 2013 if they were just going to continue the silence.

Philippo

I hope SE has a wall somewhere in their offices where they add things coming out before their game.
Of course it would be a hidden wall, because nobody there care about this game.

Hiko

Banned
I'm posting this message from a smartphone

There was no such thing as a smartphone when this game was announced

Bush was still president

Caayn

Whooaa, I knew FFXIII Versus was a long time ago but I didn't realize that so much has happened since.
Edit: Can't post without making a list can I?

Since the announcement there have been;
5 Mac OSX versions
4 Windows versions
17 Ubuntu versions

IOS came on the market and is now at version 7.1
Android came on the markte and is now at version 4.4
Windows Mobile became Windows Phone and is now at version 8.1
which game will actually be better though? Last Guardian or Final Fantasy XV?

I personally have more confidence in the last guardian
The one that actually makes it to the store shelves :p

Shion

In 2006 Japanese publishers and franchises were still relevant in the industry, people would go nuts for a new Zelda or Final Fantasy game.

Those days seem like ancient history now.

Hey guys, I'm going to get a movie from Netflix (gets a physical disk sent to me through the postal service after a waiting period of several days)

So do you think HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be the leading format for watching movies in the future? Don't clog up this discussion with that stupid "digital distribution" stuff nobody will have the bandwidth or speeds for that and the pricing model would be impossible

-Elected a new president, then re-elected him
-Tsunami in Indonesia
-Google purchases YouTube
-US Housing bubble bursts
-Final Harry Potter book published
-The Euro is adopted
-Swine Flu epidemic
-Michael Jackson dies
-Captain Sully crashes in the Hudson river
-BP Deepwater spill in the Gulf
-Tea Party created in the US
-Arab Spring
-Occupy Wall Street
-Hurricane Sandy

... and the game still isn't out.

Pokemon games released during that time?
Diamond and Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold and SoulSilver
Black and White
Black and White 2
X/Y
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
Many other spinoffs. Too lazy to list them all.

Delstius

- Four expansion pack for World of Warcraft
- The fifth one is about to
- Warcraft IV have yet to be announced though

Since FF Versus XIII was announced, Gears of War had not even been released yet.

Today, the AAA landscape has fundamentally changed and been influenced by Gears, and the game itself has had three sequels.

Final Fantasy XV has not been released yet.

this one got me pretty bad lol

CorvoSol

I think everyone, including the company, is well aware they made a mistake announcing this project so early. How long are we going to punish them for that?

I think they made significantly more mistakes than just announcing the game early. The entire PS3 generation came and went, for cryin' out loud.

sublimit

Banned
Since FFVersus was announced Team Yakuza released 8 fucking games while Nomura and company were scratching their (and Toriyama's) balls.

1228502334-00.jpg

91552_front.jpg

yakuza3.jpg

yakuza-4-cover.jpg

BinaryDomainJAP.jpg

1341775120-00.jpg

Ryu_Ga_Gotoku_5_Tentative_Cover_Art.jpg

Ryu-Ga-Gotoku-Ishin-JP-Box-Art.jpg

RedSwirl

A group of guys in Poland will have developed and released three Witcher games by the time FFXV comes out. BioWare will also have released three Dragon Age games (Origins was first announced in 2004).

Pokemon games released during that time?
Diamond and Pearl
Platinum
HeartGold and SoulSilver
Black and White
Black and White 2
X/Y
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
Many other spinoffs. Too lazy to list them all.

Pokemon Emerald/Fire red/leaf green were the popular games at the time. Now we are getting remakes.

I was in the 8th grade and 12 years old. Now I am 21 years old and in the 4th year of college

botty

Banned
Let's not forget about the other Masterpieces Nomura has crafted or had his hands in since FFXVersus was announced:

• Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded
  • The World Ends With You
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy
  • Dissidia 02 Final Fantasy
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
  • Final Fantasy Type 0
  • Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Nomura truly is incredible. I really want FFXV, but I think they really need to make this game perfect since it appears that it may be the only hope for Sony and PS4 in Japan... along with KH3.

udivision

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (September, 2006)
Pokémon Platinum
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
Pokémon Black and White
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
Pokémon X and Y
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

We went from 386 Pokes to ~720

Kazerei

Banned
Dexter, the TV series, made its debut and finale since FFVersusXIII was announced. And it died a long, slow death.

hawk2025

Most of these factoids are just things completely irrelevant to Final Fantasy XV, that coincidentally occurred during its (non)development. This doesn't impress me; I know how long ago 2006 was.

This list, however, totally highlights how much dawdling has occurred with XV's development.

Which is exactly the point of the thread.

Opiate

Youtube was less than a year old when FFXIII was announced.
Facebook was less than two years old.
The iPhone did not exist.
Android did not exist.
The iPad did not exist.
Jerry Rice still played in the NFL.
Saddam Hussein was still alive.
George Bush was the president of the United States.
North Korea was not yet a nuclear power.
The MacBook Pro line had just started.

El_Chino

• The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • The PS3 was released, had the longest PlayStation generation ever, and replaced.
  • The first Unreal Engine 3 game released, and has since been replaced by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Every Assassin's Creed game was released.
  • The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
  • In 2006, Naughty Dog was primarily known as the Jak & Daxter studio.
  • In 2008, THQ was the third largest publisher in the U.S. They have since went bankrupt.
Holy fuck I feel old.

I think we may officially be able to call it vaporware if it still fails to release this generation (which would also be pretty sad on Square Enix's part).

Philippo

Guys what if someone creates glasses that project your games in 3d? Like you can turn your head and so does your character. Man it would be brilliant.

Selling over 73 million copies worldwide:

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed II: Discovery
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin's Creed: Rogue (Nov. 2014)