• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson denies eSRAM Issues with Xbone, CBOAT: "nope"

How do you get a job as an online shill? What does it pay?

I'm gonna need some moneyhats to afford next-gen gaming without trade-ins

My understanding is he got the job since when Microsoft originally launched the Xbox, they literally had NO ONE as the face of the company except for Jay Allard who they put on the back burner after he got in some legal trouble with a female co-worker.

So he became the de-facto face of the console since he already had been answering questions and talking to the community. Remember, this was over a decade ago, before companies gave a shit about social media.

Mahonay

Banned
I'll repeat what's been said by other people in this thread already;

What is he supposed to say?

I don't think there's anything to really read into with this tweet. This is Nelson just doing his job.

DBT85

I'll repeat what's been said by other people in this thread already;

What is he supposed to say?

I don't think there's anything to really read into with this tweet. This is Nelson just doing his job.

What stands out for me is that he even replied. He gets loads of random tweets every day and just ignores them but this one he replies to.

flash ban

Banned
I imagine CBOAT as a high-ranking exec whose position allows him access to the necessary information regarding how "the ship" is being run.

Like he's sat in a boardroom discussing events that would cause GAF to have a seizure, and all these middle-aged men are crunching out the numbers of these changes. Not understanding that a low yield on a future product within the MS family is playing out on GAF like a virtual "killing field". All the time, CBOAT's a similar middle-aged man is thinking "lolzzz"

CBoaT is like JLU brainiac, software, an AI.

Carlisle

What stands out for me is that he even replied. He gets loads of random tweets every day and just ignores them but this one he replies to.

Not only that, but he replied with an answer. Would have been just as easy for him to say: "Haha, don't believe every rumor you read on the internet dummy." But instead he made his stance clear, almost defensively. Either way, I still take what he says with a grain of salt.

Mahonay

Banned
It's odd for sure. It does make it seem like Microsoft was concerned enough to have him reply at all.

But again, who the fuck knows.

bidguy

Banned
why would he lie ? its not like people wouldnt find out in the next few months. why go through the hassle when you could have just ignored the question ?
i think im siding with the major this time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
In buttocks we trust.

why would he lie ? its not like people wouldnt find out in the next few months. why go through the hassle when you could have just ignored the question ?

How exactly will people find out? Maybe they believe they can still "fix" this somehow.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Well, they can really put it to rest if they state how much performance the gpu has (800 gflops? 900gflops? 1200gflops)

But instead, they state it does 768ops, whilst leaving out the clock speed or performance number........ convenient , that... -_-

Been on gaf since 1998 and cboat has never steered us wrong...

#TEAMBUTTOCKS al the way

Think of it sort of like the situation where Sony was getting sued to hell and back over rumble, and released a sixaxis without it. When asked about it point blank by pretty much everyone, the response is that "oh, rumble is last gen." "the sixaxis motion works better without those pesky rumble motors, etc."

Everyone KNEW this was horseshit. they fooled no one. not one fucking person. The most frothing at the mouth, rabid fanboys were calling sony out on being full of it.

Several years later when the Dualshock 3 was released (surprise!) with rumble, the response was literally something along the lines of "what did you expect us to say? we were getting our asses sued off?"

This is where microsoft is. What do you expect them to say? "we're fucking up and can't fab chips properly?"

#TEAMBUTTOCKS

Klocker

according to bkilian MN is a senior manager and is as privy to what's going on with Xbox One as nearly anyone in the company

also a couple B3D sources saying their checking is proving the downclock to be false alarm as well.

guess we may find out one of these days, but some bigger outlets should have heard something confirmed by now if true... maybe we will know soon with all the people getting together this weekend

Theonik

ibeuvuCF4rSxnY.jpg

Which makes sense to me. I'm not sure the downclocking thing was ever more than intelligent speculation, because downclocking is one of three available strategic responses - the others being a launch delay or accepting very low quantities of consoles at the launch - and seems like the most viable of those strategies.

We can basically interpret this as "Microsoft isn't going to downclock, so it's down to a launch delay or very low quantity of consoles at launch."
Yes, the eSRAM issue seems to be pretty solid, the response was rumoured to be a downclock and was really something we knew for sure. Noting this sort of PR reply doesn't shed light to squat. (it's not like he'd say anything else, the fact he's bothering is surprising to begin with but, he's not very clear as to what he's referring to anyways.)

Are people really taking sides between a MS mouthpiece who can be seen damage controlling on the internet every day of the week or cboat?

Imm0rt4l

Of course he'll deny it. Him even responding isn't proof that there is no problem, its only proof that its big enough a rumor that he can't duck it for long.

Vamphuntr

I doubt the Major even have access to information about the productions of the unit itself to be honest. Why would he have access to this knowledge? That's rather specific information that shouldn't be talked in public anyway so why would he know about that as a PR person?

My guess is that he reads GAF once in a while and he tried to damage control one of the big threads.

kick51

Banned

The same reason all corporations lie lie lie until the absolute point where they must tell the truth, which also happens to be the time when the lawyers start warning of massive lawsuits.

sorry, but you have to be super naive to think they are honest in the least or that major nelson cares about you. He's a PR guy doing a job for a paycheck.

mhayze

Let's ask this question - why would the only MS spokesperson now allowed to speak on Xbone put himself on record denying something that he will be caught on later VS not responding.
People keep saying what would you expect him to do if there were yield issues? I would expect him to not comment.

Top Bottom