• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson denies eSRAM Issues with Xbone, CBOAT: "nope"

Septimius

As someone who's been directly involved in a mitigation process of a big company obfuscating the real issue by straight up lying, with all the stress that came with it, I'm not starting to see MS in the same light. They'll lie with in some deniable way, to sort out PR but fuck over everyone but themselves. Even if this particular thing isn't true, so many of the other things have been outright refused by MS, but now confirmed, about this box, I'm just done caring about this company.

JaggedSac

I really don't want to get the guy in trouble, but another person who is close to Microsoft today mentioned clock speed's decreasing and ES RAM trouble. I've heard this phrase multiple times:

"It's a big ASS APU."

Essentially, the APU as a whole is massive, failure rates are high, and the production process has yet to mature to comfortable levels.

Also Microsoft employees I've talked to openly mock Major Nelson (including folks not in the Xbox division). I'm not into publicly humiliating anyone, but I want GAF to understand that in Bellevue- there are folks are much better informed than he is. Major Nelson is nothing more than a face of a Press Release.

There is a reason Microsoft has yet to publicly release clock rates on the Xbox One. The moment the number is leaked, we can extrapolate performance instantaneously.

Why would people mock Major Nelson. He seems like a nice guy. The MS employees you talked to sound like dicks.

arab

alg-train-mooning-jpg.jpg

FOR LIFE

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'll say it again: Larry stonewalls hundreds of tweets about rumors every day and has for years, he simply doesn't comment. That he replied in this case, with a specific and very resounding no, stands as evidence to me that he's not lying.

Y'know, or he could just not respond.

Yeah, but you're a Xbox Fanboy and even Cboat had to call you out to stop reiterating everything Microsoft's PR heads posted.

So there's that.

I really don't want to get the guy in trouble, but another person who is close to Microsoft today mentioned clock speed's decreasing and ES RAM trouble. I've heard this phrase multiple times:

"It's a big ASS APU."

Essentially, the APU as a whole is massive, failure rates are high, and the production process has yet to mature to comfortable levels.

Also Microsoft employees I've talked to openly mock Major Nelson (including folks not in the Xbox division). I'm not into publicly humiliating anyone, but I want GAF to understand that in Bellevue- there are folks are much better informed than he is. Major Nelson is nothing more than a face of a Press Release.

There is a reason Microsoft has yet to publicly release clock rates on the Xbox One. The moment the number is leaked, we can extrapolate performance instantaneously.

nutcrusher.gif

FStop7

Banned
I am #teambuttocks on this but it is worth pointing out that Major Nelson going out of his way to deny one among endless rumors he gets asked about is significant. Also, CBOAT has been wrong in the past (Dead Rising 3.)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Also Microsoft employees I've talked to openly mock Major Nelson (including folks not in the Xbox division). I'm not into publicly humiliating anyone

ijd2aXqx7R5W.gif

So I guess the reaction to Xbone has moved beyond displeasure at MS's business decision and now involves character assassination. Charming.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I'll say it again: Larry stonewalls hundreds of tweets about rumors every day and has for years, he simply doesn't comment. That he replied in this case, with a specific and very resounding no, stands as evidence to me that he's not lying.

Pretty much this.

nbthedude

Dudes, this is the same Major Nelson that said this shit:

Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. The PS3 has less than one-fifth of Xbox 360′s (48 GB/s) of total memory system bandwidth.

fallagin

I am #teambuttocks on this but it is worth pointing out that Major Nelson going out of his way to deny one among endless rumors he gets asked about is significant. Also, CBOAT has been wrong in the past (Dead Rising 3.)

It could be significant, but it's not like MN hasn't lied before.

thuway

ijd2aXqx7R5W.gif

So I guess the reaction to Xbone has moved beyond displeasure at MS's business decision and now involves character assassination. Charming.

This isn't character assassination. This me trying to make GAF realize he is a PR MAN.

I don't think you've realized that he is a personality. He is akin to a glorified community manager, yet he speaks on behalf of the denizens of workers there and has at many times misspoken. His job is to protect the Xbox brand. This isn't an attack on Major Nelson, but this is me trying to say: he is not the guy who would know this information first.

This could be where ESRAM is having yield issues but...

The yield failures are in the expected range for this chip, what MSFT budgeted for, and how much each SoC will end up costing. Being a chip of this complexity supposedly has a 30% yield or so (which is pretty low), then a low yield may actually have been expected at first.

Also MSFT has to take care addressing ANY rumor, true or false, due to the SEC rules on releasing information. I find this surprising he answered.

Still it leads me to believe that if there is a problem, it will not affect the expected launch.

Y'know, or he could be shilling. Which is what he does for a living.

MogCakes

CBOAT wasn't wrong about Dead Rising 3, it was just outdated.

JaggedSac

I don't think you've realized that he is a personality. He is akin to a glorified community manager, yet he speaks on behalf of the denizens of workers there and has at many times misspoken. His job is to protect the Xbox brand. This isn't an attack on Major Nelson, but this is me trying to say: he is not the guy who would know this information first.

He is a guy who others feed information to. Do you think he off the cuff sent that tweet? The thought process was that he saw that tweet and said to himself, "well, I haven't heard anything bad about the eSRAM, let me fire off a reply, I think the other guys here at MS wouldn't mind, nothing bad ever happens when people say stuff on twitter".

Septimius

Or, you know, it's such a damaging rumor that this train of thought will lead to damage mitigation. It's not like this would be the first time he said something that wasn't true

Yeah, I really don't think Major Nelson is a villain here. He's always been a good guy in the gaming community.

That said, I believe CBOAT.
Honestly, it would suck being in Larry's position. The only info he gets is the info that he's given. Even if he suspects he's being told something inaccurate, what's he supposed to do? It's his job to report what he's told.

Sucks to be him at times like this, considering that he seems like a decent person.

thuway

He is a guy who others feed information to. Do you think he off the cuff sent that tweet? The thought process was that he saw that tweet and said to himself, "well, I haven't heard anything, let me fire off a reply, I think the other guys here at MS wouldn't mind, nothing bad ever happens when people say stuff on twitter".

This is Major Nelson against information CBOAT, Matt, BruceLeeRoy, gopherD and I have all heard. This is the laundry list of folks you should care about who have been right multiple times in the past with insider information.

Now you can completely ignore all of us, and call me a liar and a dude trying to attack Major Nelson (which I am not, I am trying to drive the fact home that he is spinning things in MS's favor) or you can listen to what these people have to say.

As stated earlier, this is the SAME guy who denied RROD, and the SAME guy who claimed nearly 300 gb/s bandwith for the Xbox 360.

Or, you know, it's such a damaging rumor that this train of thought will lead to damage mitigation. It's not like this would be the first time he said something that wasn't true

In this particular instance, it'd be fucking hard to prove he was lying. Best anyone can do is people like Cboat saying the opposite, but then it's an issue of Cboat's (and a bunch of others) word against Larry. Most non-gaffers would side with the latter.

I'm not really in either camp in whether the tweet is a lie or not, but him denying the rumor doesn't necessarily mean anything.

~~Hasan~~

sorry i am new here and no disrespect to anyone. but who is CBOAT ?

i mean. how come people trust him so much ?

Thanks and sorry if i offended anyone. didn't mean to

Rourkey

I don't believe he would have said anything without checking the facts PR people at big Corps know to get their facts straight for fear of losing their jobs, what they say can change stock prices and lead to accusations of insider trading. I suspect yields might be low but within the range of where they expect them to be

Telepathy

Banned
Why in the world would one expect Major Nelson to reply truthfully to this question?

There are two ways Major Nelson replies to questions that implicates something negative for Xbox:

- No, that is not true.

or

*Not answering at all*

Actually, what is the point of asking any PR spokesman a question? I mean, they are all literally employed to lie or spin things in a positive light...

nib95

Banned
This is Major Nelson against information CBOAT, Matt, BruceLeeRoy, gopherD and I have all heard. This is the laundry list of folks you should care about who have been right multiple times in the past with insider information.

Now you can completely ignore all of us, and call me a liar and a dude trying to attack Major Nelson (which I am not, I am trying to drive the fact home that he is spinning things in MS's favor) or you can listen to what these people have to say.

As stated earlier, this is the SAME guy who denied RROD, and the SAME guy who claimed nearly 300 gb/s bandwith for the Xbox 360.

And the same guy who supposedly did a live Q&A and somehow ended up responding with the exact same words and lines used earlier in written Microsoft press.

Takuya

Banned
And the same guy who supposedly did a live Q&A and somehow ended up responding with the exact same words and lines used earlier in Microsoft press.

Same guy who said "I'm writing up answers and they'll be up 'soon' -- 2 weeks ago.

JaggedSac

Hey, I'm not saying I don't believe you guys. I am just saying that attacking someone's character because they are a corporate mouth piece is pretty shitty. And just that saying he is not someone in the know is irrelevant, he doesn't just say shit off the cuff. He probably saw the tweet and asked someone in the know, who at that point would be the one spinning. The same way he was fed information about the bandwidth, the same way he was told what to say about RROD.

Top Bottom