• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson teases 'huge announcement' for Xbox BC on November 12th [Edit: Nope]

Oemenia

Banned
This would get me to buy an XBOX 1S too, and quickly sell my other stuff all off. As long as all 10 of my games work on it:
Halo1/2
NinjaGaiden1/Black
SplinterCell1/2/3/4
Otogi1/2

...Still considering buying Phantom Dust and Panzer Dragoon among other Japanese games.
I'm going to use this opportunity to say that DA on the OG XBOX is awesome and IMO better than CT.

But yeah, Panzer Dragoon was a game that I haven't yet been able to experience on a large screen with surround sound so it would be amazing. You don't know how annoyed I was when the game crashed after the third level (and its just the stupid cutscene that causes it because the game works fine from level select!).

You don't want Bully on 360. It was as unstable as an erupting volcano, and had the fucked Biology class.

There was something incredibly wrong with the 360s controls for the music class. The timing of when to press the buttons on the later levels of the class was broken or something.

Edit: well that aside I thought it was a good version of the game. One of the few games I got all of the achievements on.

They could've had PS1 and 2 emulation running whenever. They opted to do nothing while wierdoes get all red faced and shout at anyone who asks about it "NOBODY WANTS BC!!!" Because... Nonexistent facts.

Yeah, the defensive reactions always come off as disingenuous. Sony made a policy decision to offer no support for legacy systems, with PS Now serving as a completely different thing, that doesn't even offer PS1 or PS2 games anyway.

Microsoft are offering a legitimate differentiator for their machine and it only helps consumers for Sony to try and compete with that feature.

I hope that OG Xbox support on top of 360 BC might inspire Sony to at least put some thought towards PS1 games, given how they have all but left PS2 on PS4 to rot with their anemic offerings.

Oh and remember, Phil sad on Twitter after E3 that they'd have more to say about Scorpio before the year ends, so it's gotta be that Xbox Mexico event.

At this point I'm inclined to believe this "we will talk more before the year's end" was a confusion made by someone that got spread.

I mean, if they were to talk more about scorpio they would say something before the Pro launch I guess.

Norse

What if.....

OG Xbox BC but digital only on xbone.

Or

360 BC on PC but digital only.

Would we be happy or no?

Bah..nm just saw updated op about just more BC games announcement

etta

my hard graphic balls
At this point I'm inclined to believe this "we will talk more before the year's end" was a confusion made by someone that got spread.

I mean, if they were to talk more about scorpio they would say something before the Pro launch I guess.
No he literally tweeted that they have more info to share about Scorpio later during the year.

Matticers

If they're just adding some of the more requested games, I'd guess stuff like GTA IV and Mass Effect 2. I'd also guess stuff like Black Ops 2 and the Modern Warfare games but I'm not sure if they would release those right after a new CoD game comes out. Probably going to have some sales on BC games too as part of their celebration.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Agent X

Ok well if Xbox is going to do BC for a two gen old system, where's our PS1 and PS2 BC? No cell excuse there.

That's true, and it's shameful that it hasn't happened yet.

Obviously, this would be a great benefit for consumers, but developers and publishers would be pleased to have backward compatibility as well. They would have another avenue to sell old games to new customers.

Yeah, the defensive reactions always come off as disingenuous. Sony made a policy decision to offer no support for legacy systems, with PS Now serving as a completely different thing, that doesn't even offer PS1 or PS2 games anyway.

"Completely different thing" is a good way to describe PlayStation Now. It's not backward compatibility, and doesn't serve as a replacement for backward compatibility. I like the PS Now service a lot, and appreciate it for what it is...but I'd also like to see true backward compatibility with previously purchased games.

Microsoft are offering a legitimate differentiator for their machine and it only helps consumers for Sony to try and compete with that feature.

I hope that OG Xbox support on top of 360 BC might inspire Sony to at least put some thought towards PS1 games, given how they have all but left PS2 on PS4 to rot with their anemic offerings.

I agree.

Also, judging from what was said in the last few pages, it doesn't look like original Xbox support on Xbox One is confirmed yet. Regardless of what Microsoft does or doesn't do with original Xbox games, Sony should still work on bringing some of their previous systems' games to PS4. As I said above, this would benefit consumers, developers, and publishers alike. All of the major game console manufacturers should be working toward the goal of preserving and supporting older game libraries.

m23

Considering we're getting xbone re releases of Phantom Dust and Voodo Vince, I don't think they're really working on original Xbox compatibility.

As bad as I want it...

Xumbrega

Banned
Just give me the option to buy X360 games on Xbox One with gift cards I'll be happy.

Oh, and Mass Effect trilogy backwards compatible too.

Coda

If the Xbox One gets OG Xbox compatibility but it's just as limited as 360 backwards compatibility was and you can't use your original discs then it would just be a waste of time. The appeal of backwards compatibility to me is just being able to take a game I haven't played in a while and pop it into my disc drive and play, If they offer that especially with import OG Xbox games being playable I'll go out and buy an Xbox One S right now. My original Xbox died recently so I've been dying to play Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi 1/2, and Double Steal: The Second Clash again.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If the Xbox One gets OG Xbox compatibility but it's just as limited as 360 backwards compatibility was and you can't use your original discs then it would just be a waste of time. The appeal of backwards compatibility to me is just being able to take a game I haven't played in a while and pop it into my disc drive and play, I'd they offer that especially with import OG Xbox games being playable I'll go out and buy an Xbox One S right now. My original Xbox died recently so I've been dying to play Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi 1/2, and Double Steal: The Second Clash again.

That's not going to happen. The reason the games have to be installed is that the console downloads a version of the game for the Xbox One. The disc is merely a copy protection device.

Fortunately, you could just get an external drive and install them to that.

Coda

That's not going to happen. The reason the games have to be installed is that the console downloads a version of the game for the Xbox One. The disc is merely a copy protection device.

Fortunately, you could just get an external drive and install them to that.

I just feel like there's a slight chance Microsoft will pull some magic voodoo tech out their asses and make it possible, probably not but a man can dream.

If they actually do put out OG Xbox BC, along with the uhd player, it'll make me get an xbone S. My copy of PZ2 Crimson Butterfly DC is waiting!

So he can play them at the same time? Why two consoles?

So he can use one exclusively for Xbox One games and the other just for 360 BC games.

Outrun

Heck, they could have this talk just before the Switch reveal to bring Scorpio back into the fore.

Salty Hippo

Of course it would not be. Why would they remaster Voodoo Vince if this was a thing?

Also what the hell is this title?

Major Nelson teases 'huge announcement' for Xbox BC on November 12th [Edit: Nope]

2thepoint

I love how serious they are taking BC.

As a PlayStation fan, I really am considering an Xbox One for Christmas just because I would love to play Force Unleashed again.

There are insane deals in Ireland on the Xbox One - 224.99 Euro for a brand new 500gb Xbox One with Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 3.

This is just unbelievable. I think its time - fair play to Phil Spencer. He has completely changed the image for the better.

Lucifon

As a PlayStation fan, I really am considering an Xbox One for Christmas just because I would love to play Force Unleashed again.

There are insane deals in Ireland on the Xbox One - 224.99 Euro for a brand new 500gb Xbox One with Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 3.

This is just unbelievable. I think its time - fair play to Phil Spencer. He has completely changed the image for the better.
Black Friday should see some awesome deals I imagine.

"the bar too high?" WTF Phil?!?

old Xbox was an x86 PC with Celeron and GeForce, based on DX8 and ONLY MS has the original&correct API for emulation.

So don't say bullshit, Phil: it's x86 runnables, these are not impossible requests.
He obviously didn't mean that the bar was too high from a technical perspective, he was just lowering expectations of that particular announcement before people get worked up and start anticipating it, especially since it's just going to be some anticipated game announcements like we already saw (mass effect and skate)

"the bar too high?" WTF Phil?!?

old Xbox was an x86 PC with Celeron and GeForce, based on DX8 and ONLY MS has the original&correct API for emulation.

So don't say bullshit, Phil: it's x86 runnables, these are not impossible requests.

He's not talking about technical difficulty, dude :p

Top Bottom