• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man has eaten at over 6000 Chinese restaurants in US, his personal top 10 list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

Figured NY would win this hands down. Chinese food outside of NY tends to be made by whites so it's not as authentic.

lmao what? I've never seen non-Chinese people making the food outside of big American chains like Panda Express and P.F. Changs.

Big-E

People from Vancouver support a shit hockey team and cannot read!

Read what numble said. I am disagreeing with him saying that Hong Kong is like the gold standard of Chinese cuisine. He says Vancouver and Toronto have better food and Vancouver is mostly Hong Kong so he is saying that Hong Kong is surperior and if that were the case, I would be eating in Hong Kong style Chinese restaurants in the mainland, but I don't because those restaurants I don't like as much as stuff from Xian, Dongbei and the Muslim styling.

masud

Banned
Most of what you call Chinese food is probably not what the writer was eating.

Your typical fast food Chinese is such an old outdated style.

How the hell does food become outdated? Ive never had Chinese food from Cali but NYC Chinese food is better than anything ive had out of state, love me some 'ghetto wok'. Cali can have Mexican and Chinese food crown, we'll take literally everything else.

Mully

I guess I just don't know much better than these three Chinese Food restaurants I always go to in Flushing during a night of drinking.

Read what numble said. I am disagreeing with him saying that Hong Kong is like the gold standard of Chinese cuisine. He says Vancouver and Toronto have better food and Vancouver is mostly Hong Kong so he is saying that Hong Kong is surperior and if that were the case, I would be eating in Hong Kong style Chinese restaurants in the mainland, but I don't because those restaurants I don't like as much as stuff from Xian, Dongbei and the Muslim styling.

Those meat pies. So good! Awesome place in Toronto had it when I visited a couple of years ago.

bengraven

God damn and our local carryout place closed 20 minutes ago.

I could seriously go for some sweet and sour pork right now.

Timbuktu

I guess between the cuisines it is tough to compare, at the end it is personal taste. I guess he took Cantonese cuisine to represent all Chinese food and it probably does for a lot of people. It is pretty tough to find decent restaurants dedicated to one of the other chinese cuisines outside of China. I guess sichuan would be the nextmost common, but more often than not they are still just special dishes on a mostly Cantonese menu.

mcfrank

6. Din Tai Fung, Arcadia, California (Los Angeles area)

My wife eats at this place with her co-workers all of the time and raves about it. Most of this list is within 10 miles of me, so I will have to start trying these places.

rodvik

Making me hungry. I work three blocks from SF Chinatown. I havent been to the one on his list but I do know I get truly excellent Chinese food for <$15 a head anytime I want. So much variety as well.

Big-E

I guess between the cuisines it is tough to compare, at the end it is personal taste. I guess he took Cantonese cuisine to represent all Chinese food and it probably does for a lot of people. It is pretty tough to find decent restaurants dedicated to one of the other chinese cuisines outside of China. I guess sichuan would be the nextmost common, but more often than not they are still just special dishes on a mostly Cantonese menu.

That's the problem but I hope it changes in the future. The reason is that so many immigrants came to Vancouver at least from Hong Kong and not the mainland. Once more mainlanders start coming to North America, North America will have the benefit of having a more diverse culinary experience. I get bored sometimes of Chinese food in Vancouver but the sheer variety of options on the mainland means that I am never bored. I have had strictly Chinese food for probably 99.5% of my meals since August of last year and I am not even close to bored.

Korey

BOOM

FLzPB.jpg

SiteSeer

i just had to share this, but i had the best rice and fried pork take out at a little stall in a chinese indoor strip mall in toronto. the best. just had to get that off my chest. i don't even remember the name, just that heavenly flavor and texture.
NY Chinese people middle-class and up know the food there is well behind even Toronto.

i just had to share this, but i had the best rice and fried pork take out at a little stall in a chinese indoor strip mall in toronto. the best. just had to get that off my chest. i don't even remember the name, just that heavenly flavor and texture.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that either Vancouver or Toronto (most likely Toronto) has the best selection of Chinese food anywhere.

Much newer immigrant communities make for a lot more variety.

SRG01

Don't they also support bag milk? Another minus.

It's probably next to impossible to find bagged milk in Vancouver, just saying.

The article already addresses that by stating Cantonese/HK style food is much better than most styles you find on the mainland. I'm inclined to agree, having tried Sichuan, Shanghai, and Northern Chinese cuisines.

Part of the reason is because HK is literally a cultural mecca. Even their pastries are offshoots of Portugese/French/Chinese styles. There's no equivalent to this kind of exposure on the mainland.

Wanna know how I know he has a crappy taste? They're all dim sum/hongkong/shanghaineese joints. Wheres the love for Hunan or Xikhuang?

I can think of maybe one dish that they'd be known for, and it's really not that great.

The article already addresses that by stating Cantonese/HK style food is much better than most styles you find on the mainland. I'm inclined to agree, having tried Sichuan, Shanghai, and Northern Chinese cuisines.

Part of the reason is because HK is literally a cultural mecca. Even their pastries are offshoots of Portugese/French/Chinese styles. There's no equivalent to this kind of exposure on the mainland.

That's not true at all.

Cuisine has to do with geographic location and climate as well. There are things Hong Kong/Canton is good at, and then there are things they don't do as well.

numble

I can think of maybe one dish that they'd be known for, and it's really not that great.
Did you try the Mainland foods in their local areas? There is a culture of Hong Kong chefs setting up shop in North America, but not so much for other cuisines.

Xinjiang is a Mecca of Central-Asian food, which itself has a lot of middle-eastern food. Yunnan is a Mecca of Southeast Asian food, with most of the minorities representing the majority ethnicities in many of those countries. Tibetan food has Nepali and Bhutan influences. The Hui food is a nice mix of Xinjiang and Central China. Then there's Inner Mongolia and the Korean influences up in Liaoning.

And that doesn't include the street foods from these places, which are often amazing.

I think the fads for different Mainland cuisine that pop up in Hong Kong each year (Yunnan noodles, Guilin noodles, etc.) also indicate HK people like some more inland diversity in their food.

I love Elite with my entire body. I will drive from Orange County just for their dim sum.

If that's the guy's #3 pick... I'm frothing at trying the other nine.

Pikachu-on-Acid.jpg

Well yeah, because it hasn't been adopted in popular western culture like generic Chinese food and Cantonese food. I've lived over here for awhile now and can safely say Hunan is easily one of my favorite types of Chinese food. Up there with Sichuan. The balance of flavor and spice is amazing. There is this one dish where they put a fresh fish in a big thing of oil of some kind and cover with fresh veggies and spices. Then light that fish on fire in front of you and you eat it will its cooking. FFFffffffff delicious mang.
Xinjiang is a Mecca of Central-Asian food, which itself has a lot of middle-eastern food. Yunnan is a Mecca of Southeast Asian food, with most of the minorities representing the majority ethnicities in many of those countries. Tibetan food has Nepali and Bhutan influences. The Hui food is a nice mix of Xinjiang and Central China. Then there's Inner Mongolia and the Korean influences up in Liaoning.

And that doesn't include the street foods from these places, which are often amazing.

I think the fads for different Mainland cuisine that pop up in Hong Kong each year (Yunnan noodles, Guilin noodles, etc.) also indicate HK people like some more inland diversity in their food.

See, this man knows his stuff!

Timbuktu

Now i'm wondering if the turmoil in mainland China in the last hundred years during the wars and the Cultural revolution meant that we've lost a generation of good cooks in the other Chinese cuisines outside of HK.

Now i'm wondering if the turmoil in mainland China in the last hundred years during the wars and the Cultural revolution meant that we've lost a generation of good cooks in the other Chinese cuisines outside of HK.

Depends what you mean by that. I'm sure there are a lot of impacts it had on migrant cooks outside of China. However, everyone and their mom owns a restaurant in mainland China. The revolution did not effect cooking diversity since its such a big part of Chinese culture.

Not really. Cooking is an art passed down through the generations, and the Chinese will lose a lot more before they lose their appreciation for food.

Can you name any in particular? I don't know of any of these.

I don't know the name of this (ChineseGAF help me out) but there is this festival, celebratory dish that is really sweet. Its basically Congee but they make the rice into little balls and throw in a metric ton of sugar. Its a cold dish thats like a soup with sugar rice balls.

jiggle

love Koi Palace
i like their dim sum even more than the ones from HK :X
for dinner, they have on special this fried noodle cake with pumpkin sauce thing that was so delicious
hella good hot pot too

Ding Tai Fung is amazing too
but kinda one note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom