• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World new pics

What about every other things I listed to support the ambition claim, that have nothing to do with the refinement of the 3D Land fixed isometric camera view?

Ambition to me speaks to an attempt to reach higher heights than have been reached before, not simply through improvement but by a large leap forward. If JFK said we were going to get people to fly slightly higher into the atmosphere, that's not very ambitious. Going to the moon is ambitious.

But since you asked for the things you listed, here's my opinion on it:

Music - honestly, I only remember the big band trailer music. It's good. But it doesn't scream ambition. It's just good new music. Ambition would be risking an element of the game in order to try something better than has ever been done.

An orchestral soundtrack was ambitious for the series. There Will Be Blood's soundtrack was ambitious. Not having a soundtrack is ambitious. New fun tracks? Cool. Not ambitious.

Controller Options - Nice to have. Not ambitious.

3D map - I actually really like the map. But it's just the 2D style map tilted, so you can play around in a 3D environment (not unlike how much of the 3D Land level-style is). It's an interesting refinement on what existed prior.

Amount of power ups - I do think they're putting effort into this. There's the cherries, the cat suit, the ice skate, and the goomba mask. Am I missing any new ones? The rest are all from old games, right? So four new power-ups?

I know the cat suit will play a larger part, and that's okay for a refinement on the formula. But ambition? I don't see it. Power-ups are like powering up your airplane to fly higher/faster/longer. Ambition is changing your plane into a shuttle and flying to the Moon.

Multiplayer - Adding multiplayer is about the least ambitious thing you can do nowadays. It's a common publisher strategy to force multiplayer into games to increase sales. And after the success of NSMB Wii, adding multiplayer to Mario is about the least risky thing you can imagine.

Specific character abilities - I don't think recycling the SMB2usa abilities is ambitious. A nice throwback? Sure, I guess. But ambition has to go beyond someone saying, "Hey, let's add in the SMB2 characters!" and then three days later, someone codes them in and that's that.

jediyoshi

Late to the party but

SNbdrMi.png

This art is the best

Tarin02543

As a hardcore Nintendo fan that went silent since Wii U these screenshots gave me a slight buzz which felt similar to the buzz I got when I was 10 and playing SMW on SNES for the first time.

A Wii U will be mine, just not yet.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Tone it down a bit.
I guess you have not read his 100 previous on Mario 3D World. Fun fact: 90% of his 3D World posts include the "NSMB" word. I wonder what his motive is to use this NSMB repetition, over and over again. I think he wants to tell us something but what?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Is yours a launch wii?

I bought it the January before last. It was the Mario Kart Wii sku. I rushed out to buy it when Nintendo started to replace the Gamecube compatible ones with the current revision. It's been like it since I bought it sadly, I was just too busy with work at the time to send it in for repair.

In honour of this thread, I just put in an hour into 3D Land and it's definitely growing on me. The level design is outstanding. I think that a Wii U + Mario World is going to be a sure thing for Christmas. Good times.

Imagine the hype for this game if it had looked this good at the E3 reveal.

Mindboggling how different, and how better, it looks from then to now

I was definitely one of the naysayers after E3. The new media has definitely brought me around now that I've gotten used to the fact that I won't be getting Galaxy 3. Can't wait.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot

marc^o^

Precisely, so go down from the moon mister J Freezie_Ko, and you should be able to understand ambition in a Mario game context. You downplayed most of the things that show EAD went the extra mile with this one, blinded by a framework you don't feel. BTW your NSMB2 comment shows you don't understand or trust EAD game designers.

Shinta

Banned
This Friday I have to make the decision to either pay for my PS4 pre-order, or cancel that and instead get Zelda Wii U System, with Mario 3D World pre-order, Wonderful 101, and Sonic Lost World.

I'm leaning towards Wii U guys.

Could always get a PS4 in February I guess ...

spekkeh

Banned
Precisely, so go down from the moon mister J Freezie_Ko, and you should be able to understand ambition in a Mario game context. You downplayed most of the things that show EAD went the extra mile with this one, blinded by a framework you don't feel. BTW your NSMB2 comment shows you don't understand or trust EAD game designers.
So you should buy into the idea that small increments in the Mario formula are a huge deal to believe that there's real innovation here. That's kind of like God exists because the bible tells me so.

defferoo

it doesn't look better. people were blinded by their expectations. because it looked different from what they expected (Galaxy) and instead looked more like 3D Land, they bashed the hell out of it. it already looked great at E3.

EDIT: now that the initial shock has worn off, people are much more receptive. add a new trailer that shows a ton of variety in level design, and you've got hype through the roof.

Well, it's certainly more ambitious than NSMB. Most games are. So compared to that, maybe this game is ambitious in a Mario game context. But Mario games used to be ambitious in an every game context.

As for my SMB2 comment, I was obviously exaggerating. Let's exaggerate the other way though. Let's say it took a year to add selectable SMB2usa characters. It's still not a radical move.

Raysoul

Well, it's certainly more ambitious than NSMB. Most games are. So compared to that, maybe this game is ambitious in a Mario game context. But Mario games used to be ambitious in an every game context.

As for my SMB2 comment, I was obviously exaggerating. Let's exaggerate the other way though. Let's say it took a year to add selectable SMB2usa characters. It's still not a radical move.

Care to share what are your ideas for an ambitious 3D Mario game? It would be great if you would be more specific.

marc^o^

So you should buy into the idea that small increments in the Mario formula are a huge deal to believe that there's real innovation here. That's kind of like God exists because the bible tells me so.
I listed a list of ambitious things, real innovation was not part of them. Read again.

What sort of radical moves do you want? As long as they shake things up a bit and provide excellent and fun level design, I'm content.

You keep repeating that stuff over and over and it's starting to feel as fresh as the NSMB series.

bart64

Banned
I know you must not be taking all this seriously, but are you blind? The reason we're excited is because there's innovation in every screenshot and second of the trailer. The kind of innovation that matters: in terms of gameplay. Did you expect Mario to be exploring crisis style islands in open-world combat or something?

Everything here is telling you where to go and what to do, in an intuitive and fun way, the way Mario games have always done. Messing with it is like saying poker should have better skin rendering for the face cards, because your game of thrones game has that. Maybe it's not your game, but learn the rules, and maybe play once or twice, before you criticize it.

Care to share what are your ideas for an ambitious 3D Mario game? It would be great if you would be more specific.

Charles Foster Kane said:
What sort of radical moves do you want? As long as they shake things up a bit and provide excellent and fun level design, I'm content.

I don't have an idea for an ambitious 3D Mario game. I'm not a game developer.

But that has never been an appropriate response to criticism. Food critics are not chefs. Movie critics are not usually filmmakers. I know ambition when I see it, and I'm just not feelin' it here.

If you're happy with fun level design, then more power to you. I was hoping for a bit more. Especially considering the lineage of how different each 3D Mario has been from the last, specifically when debuting on new hardware.

JoeFenix

This Friday I have to make the decision to either pay for my PS4 pre-order, or cancel that and instead get Zelda Wii U System, with Mario 3D World pre-order, Wonderful 101, and Sonic Lost World.

If you can only get one this Christmas definitely go for the Wii U. I mean PS4 doesn't have much that's super exciting at launch, the only thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is Resogun.

The Wii U has 101, that's a big time system seller right there and easily the best game I've played in the past 3 years. The Wii U is really turning into a great system, now is a good time to get in on the fun!

But that has never been an appropriate response to criticism. Food critics are not chefs. Movie critics are not usually filmmakers. I know ambition when I see it, and I'm just not feelin' it here.

If you're happy with fun level design, then more power to you. I was hoping for a bit more. Especially considering the lineage of how different each 3D Mario has been from the last, specifically when debuting on new hardware.

Fun is quite a broad concept, don't let it be confused with conformism.

While I agree with the fact that critics are not makers, that doesn't change that your comments have become a bit tiring with this whole it doesn't innovate deal. If it doesn't interest you enough, just don't play it or ignore it.

Raysoul

Well, I think this is the most appealing kiddy/cartoon/non-dudebro game coming out soon, and that include titles from next gen consoles.

JoeFenix

I'm not sure where else to ask this but do we know if the official high capacity battery for the Gamepad that was recently released in Europe works with a North American Wii U?

I really want one of those, the battery life on the Gamepad absolutely blows, one of the worst things about the system for me.

If your going to be getting both eventually anyway I'd go with the one you'll get the most games with, and at this point it looks like WiiU. With WW, Mario 3D World, W101, and Sonic your pretty much set for the entire holiday.

bart64

Banned
I'm not sure where else to ask this but do we know if the official high capacity battery for the Gamepad that was recently released in Europe works with a North American Wii U?
A good place to ask would be any wii u hardware thread. Nobody is talking about that here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If your going to be getting both eventually anyway I'd go with the one you'll get the most games with, and at this point it looks like WiiU. With WW, Mario 3D World, W101, and Sonic your pretty much set for the entire holiday.

I agree. and also, maybe in February or whenever he'll find also some bundles for PS4 (inFamous?) that would tone down a little bit the price too.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyone else disappointed that the game is only 720p? EAD Tokyo is arguably Nintendo's most technically proficient team, yet even they can't seem to reach 1080p. :/

Vaiim

Yea I'd get a WiiU, it sounds like there a bunch of games you want for it, so you'll get your money's worth right away. Whereas the PS4 will start slow, but improve with time So it'll get cheaper, more games and you'll be less likely to get a dodgy launch console. So unless you're dying for the launch games on it, you might as well resist - that's what I'm doing for now.

Anyone else disappointed that the game is only 720p? EAD Tokyo is arguably Nintendo's most technically proficient team, yet even they can't seem to reach 1080p. :/

A little, but this is a fairly early game with 60fps and 4player coop (+ clones from the cherries), it's just gunna have a lot of stuff going on at once.

Really loving what we're seeing of this new Mario, keep it coming Nintendo :D

I am. 1080p makes a difference in IQ, Monster Hunter 3U is not exactly a graphics showcase but the game still looks very good on a big screen because it's 1080p native and the IQ is crystal clear.

3D World looks amazing still, but 1080p would be even better. If they get Smash Bros to run at 1080p they should have been able to do that for this game too.

JordanN

Banned
I know it's already been revealed but instead of using Toad, there could have been an opportunity for a playable Daisy/Wario. I know, I know, Super Mario Bros 2, but man, he's beginning to star in so many Mario games, even when they had two of them (i.e New Super Mario Bros.). Might want to see a new face soon.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
does those numbers really mean anything? seriously the game will look good and play good. have fun gaming or go buy a pc rig and play 1808p 60fps titles all you want.

1080p looks better than 720p. Come on, man.

I was never expecting every Nintendo title to be 1080p, but I thought it was reasonable to expect their premiere titles, Mario and SSB to accomplish that (1080p might be a little too much for an open world game like Zelda).

KHlover

Banned
I know it's already been revealed but instead of using Toad, there could have been an opportunity for a playable Daisy/Wario. I know, I know, Super Mario Bros 2, but man, he's beginning to star in so many Mario games, even when they had two of them (i.e New Super Mario Bros.). Might want a see a new face soon.

Daisy and Peach in the same game would be be pretty redundant if you ask me.

Shinta

Banned
If you can only get one this Christmas definitely go for the Wii U. I mean PS4 doesn't have much that's super exciting at launch, the only thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is Resogun.

The Wii U has 101, that's a big time system seller right there and easily the best game I've played in the past 3 years. The Wii U is really turning into a great system, now is a good time to get in on the fun!

Yea I'd get a WiiU, it sounds like there a bunch of games you want for it, so you'll get your money's worth right away. Whereas the PS4 will start slow, but improve with time So it'll get cheaper, more games and you'll be less likely to get a dodgy launch console. So unless you're dying for the launch games on it, you might as well resist - that's what I'm doing for now
Alright guys, I'm going for it :) Wii U it is. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll definitely get a PS4 early next year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I am. 1080p makes a difference in IQ, Monster Hunter 3U is not exactly a graphics showcase but the game still looks very good on a big screen because it's 1080p native and the IQ is crystal clear.

3D World looks amazing still, but 1080p would be even better. If they get Smash Bros to run at 1080p they should have been able to do that for this game too.

Mario3DWorld looks better than MHUltimate tough, ins't it?
And (if it will really be 1080p) Smash will be out in late 2014, not within few weeks. Probably they could (could, not would. I mean. it's a Wii U, and we are seeing a lot of Xbone games not being able to be 1080p natively) spending more time in development.
Considering how it looks and runs (60fps) I'm really happy about the result

JordanN

Banned
Daisy and Peach in the same game would be be pretty redundant if you ask me.
Anymore than Mario and Luigi? Daisy totally has a different personality than Peach so she could have been a somewhat "sporty" like character. If you're talking storywise, I think they could adapt something.

bomma_man

1080p looks better than 720p. Come on, man.

I was never expecting every Nintendo title to be 1080p, but I thought it was reasonable to expect their premiere titles, Mario and SSB to accomplish that (1080p might be a little too much for an open world game like Zelda).

I'd blame the cherry power up. That would be a definite GPU drain with four players.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Well, you couldn't handle the ambition and the innovation in W101, so maybe you should check your expectations.

Log4Girlz

Now that we know a bit more the hardware, nah, I'm not disappointed. I mean, look at Killer Instinct on the XB1, its in 720 p.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
720p/60 is fine. I'm glad Nintendo decided to properly balance frame rate and resolution. Lower than 720 is disappointing just the same as 1080/30 would've been, imo.

Hermii

If an outstanding platformer with some novel mechanics and powerups, gorgeus graphics, multplayer (Its never been done before in this kind of game, that makes me think its kind of hard to pull off), plenty of variety is not ambitious enough for a Mario game then I dont know what is.

Top Bottom