• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World new pics

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Call me crazy but I thought 3D Land was at LEAST on par with Galaxy 2. World seems way better than 3D Land.

I also really dislike NSMBWii. It's balls.

3Dland wasn't entirely 8-way. Some levels gave you full control of the circle pad.

I don't even understand the point of the 8-way movement. I mean, I guess for 3D World it makes sense since 3 other people will probably be playing with d-pads on their Wiimotes. But it really makes precision jumping a lot more annoying, especially combined with the slower Mario movement.

Dr. Buni

day one. wii u is gonna pick up with this release. havent been this excited for a mario game since, mario 64

lol... Super Mario 64 was such a letdown to me. 3D Mario games started being good with Super Mario Sunshine imo. Anyway, the last 3D Mario games were amazing, so I am fairly sure Super Mario 3D world will be great as well. Shame I don't have a Wii U or enough cash to buy one.

plank

So the advantage/disadvantage for the playable characters is Peach can float but is slow, Toad is fast but can't jump that far, Luigi jumps highest but is slippery, and Mario is well rounded. And going by that Peach is for beginners, Toad is for speed runs, then Luigi might be able to break curtain levels and stages correct?

radcliff

EAD Tokyo didn't make Sunshine.

EAD Tokyo didn't exist at the time when Sunshine was developed. But the main director of that game (Yoshiaki Koizumi), and I would imagine a number of other lead Sunshine developers, is now at EAD Tokyo

joesiv

Looks like a scene from a 1990s version of POVRay. If any of you know what I'm talking about, that's a big compliment. Looks like real time raytracing. Plus I love cats. Preordered.

Looks like real time ray tracing?

It is just blinn phong shading with the specular term turned up.

So much hyperbole in this thread regarding the graphics. Nintendo discovers programmable shaders and the world goes bonkers.

That shader quality reminds me of the first forays into programmable shading that we saw around doom 3 or Call of Duty II where everything was overly specular and non-energy conserving.

It's almost as if Nintendo is finally discovering shaders.

Shots look goodish, though. Just overkill on the shaders at times.

Well to be fair POVray was near the start of raytracing brought to the masses, so a lot of that "look" was people overdoing it, and finding out what works or not. "ooo fancy reflections on checker tile floors!", but being ray tracing there wasn't much else you could do besides shadows and reflections... I agree that Nintendo seems like a kid in a candy store with these shaders. Kind of like when photoshop came out and everyone had to try every single effect in the effects menu, emboss on everything, lens flares, bevel this, etc...

It looks good, and it's refreshing seeing some new lighting and pixel effects from Nintendo, and I'd bet the next mario game, it'll be much much more refined. But for now, at least generally fits the art style (colorful out of this world look).

Top Bottom