• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario 3D World new pics

big_z

this game looks fantastic and I want it badly but then I remember its on an unsupported console and it burns inside.

this game looks fantastic and I want it badly but then I remember its on an unsupported console and it burns inside.
I wonder, why does everything always have to be reduced to some phony extreme or hyperbolized? A post launch software drought does not an unsupported console make. In spite of the first half of 2013 being a drag the console already has Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Zombi U, NSLU, Nano Assault Neo, Lego City: Undercover, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Wind Waker HD, with Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze, Yarn Yoshi, and Bayonetta 2 all on the horizon. That's ignoring multi-platform games, which, believe it or not, actually exist regardless of whether they're as plentiful or technically polished as some would prefer. It's one thing to prefer different types of software, but "unsupported" is a pretty disingenuous way to describe the Wii U. The truth is Nintendo is stuck supporting it come hell or high water, and inevitably there will even be the occasional worthwhile 3rd party exclusive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
1080p >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 720p, beneficial to more or less every game and genre. Clarity is awesome, and 1080p clarity smokes 720p clarity. Wind Waker HD being a most recent example of how amazingly sharp and crisp an image can look at 1920x1080 resolution.

But whatever. Spent a generation playing 720p games. Will spend another generation doing the same. And expect plenty of PS4/XONE titles to run at 720p too as time goes by.

OryoN

1080p >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 720p, beneficial to more or less every game and genre. Clarity is awesome, and 1080p clarity smokes 720p clarity. Wind Waker HD being a most recent example of how amazingly sharp and crisp an image can look at 1920x1080 resolution.

But whatever. Spent a generation playing 720p games. Will spend another generation doing the same. And expect plenty of PS4/XONE titles to run at 720p too as time goes by.

We could make the exact same case for 60fps Vs 30fps. Would you prefer a Mario game at 1080p/30fps, or 720p/60fps? I personally would take either option, for most games(except for fighters, 60fps or bust!), but I think 60fps platformers and racers are tough to 'trade' in.

Memino

Banned
My brother and I always talked about how cool a multi player 3d Mario would be, I'm so happy this is a reality.

We could make the exact same case for 60fps Vs 30fps. Would you prefer a Mario game at 1080p/30fps, or 720p/60fps? I personally would take either option, for most games(except for fighters, 60fps or bust!), but I think 60fps platformers and racers are tough to 'trade' in.

I don't really see the need for 60fps in non-competitive games (platformers, adventure games).

This game finally got me to take the plunge and buy a Wii U. It looks really incredible.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying Wind Waker HD. (Went for the WW bundle.)

This game finally got me to take the plunge and buy a Wii U. It looks really incredible.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying Wind Waker HD. (Went for the WW bundle.)

I'm holding out thin hope that the U.S. will get the NSMBU+NSLU bundle that Europe is getting. Otherwise, I'm just fine with the WW bundle. MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT NOA.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Well, take a look at these two threads: I think that you'd eventually find out a good amount of games to justify the console, imho.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512617
http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=594761

I agree. But the bolded part is the reason why I'm not disappointed by this game in particular. And, if the choice is between 720p/60fps and 1080p/30fps I prefer the first option.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Of course I'm in the 720p/60fps > 1080p/30fps camp when it's appropriate for the genre. Which in the case of some like this, it is.

I'm holding out thin hope that the U.S. will get the NSMBU+NSLU bundle that Europe is getting. Otherwise, I'm just fine with the WW bundle. MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT NOA.

Honestly, I could have done without the Zelda accoutrements on the Game Pad (I would have preferred a plain black one), but overall, I'm still very happy with the purchase.

I am also sure if nintendo wanted this game could be 1080p but 1080p means a lot less to Nintendo than it does to say Sony.
Only by making compromises to framerate or fidelity. It's not as though there's a resolution toggle they can flip and are choosing not to; it has a cost in performance.

Nintendo is how can we design this game and make it fun for the player first. Sony is how can we sell the player that what we said about the hardware capabilities are correct.
That's the biggest bullshit and insulting generalization I've seen in a while with a firm basis in nothing. It completely throws all the talented people at Sony Worldwide Studios under the bus and casts completely unfair aspersions on their motivations. I'm pretty sure the people at Sucker Punch are just as concerned about making a fun game as a pretty one.

And if you don't think Nintendo is trying to maximize visual fidelity to use to advertise the virtues of their new console, I don't know what to tell you. One big selling point is it's HD capability. If they only cared about player fun, they could develop games at the visual level of the Wii to get them out faster. But they don't, because like Sucker Punch, they want to make fun games that look the best they can.

The 1080p argument will matter way more to me when I upgrade my TV, which is taking longer because I keep buying 1080p systems.

it is a vicious cycle.

Dicer

Banned

Lol, not many of them, most games past gen were sub 720

klier

720p is sharp enough considering the graphical style. NSMBU looks great in 720p.
But maybe 720p looks so good becase I am used to sub 720p PS360 games..

60 fps multiplayer is glorious...

DogMeat77

This is just looking better and better. I can already tell that my wife and I will have a good time with this title. I need more couch co-op in my life.

xandaca

Still not particular feeling this. The colours are great, but the weird outline of lighting around every character looks awful, giving that over-shiny plasticine look that was abundant during early 360/PS3 games. I'm sure the game will be fun, but nothing shown from a visual or gameplay perspective has made my jaw drop. It still just looks like 3D Land in HD to me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
its becoming sad how much gamers are chasing photorealisim now and days. there is nothing about this game to be disappointed about. I am also sure if nintendo wanted this game could be 1080p but 1080p means a lot less to Nintendo than it does to say Sony. Nintendo is how can we design this game and make it fun for the player first. Sony is how can we sell the player that what we said about the hardware capabilities are correct.
I like what you said here

zroid

Banned
I don't really see the need for 60fps in non-competitive games (platformers, adventure games).

I get what you're saying, but you're way wrong about platformers. They always benefit greatly from 60fps. For many other types of games, it's not a big loss.

Theorymon

I'm going to have to disagree here. Twitchier single player games like platformers and character action games (think Bayonetta and Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden) benefit immensely from the added control 60 FPS brings! Also, it helps that the multiplayer in this game does seem to have a competitive aspect to it.

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
This is honestly one of my most anticipated games ever. Plus, it's one that my wife will actually play with me. I have a PS4 pre-ordered and I am super pumped for it, but my mind keeps going to this..

Easy_D

never left the stone age
its becoming sad how much gamers are chasing photorealisim now and days. there is nothing about this game to be disappointed about. I am also sure if nintendo wanted this game could be 1080p but 1080p means a lot less to Nintendo than it does to say Sony. Nintendo is how can we design this game and make it fun for the player first. Sony is how can we sell the player that what we said about the hardware capabilities are correct.

What? They could make it 1080p if they wanted to? So they don't want it to look its best? Because looking like it currently does, in 1080p and at 60 fps would be pretty damn impressive considering the hardware.

People still thinking of 3DWorld as a cheap sequel are really misunderstanding Nintendo's vision and development course they follow on their games. We can still appreciate game mechanics in their today outputs that were first introduced in Nes days. Nintendo never throw anything away.

3DWorld relation with 3DLand is probably just the other way around what people see on the surface.

EAD were probably resaearching and working on this concept for a long time even before releasing SM3DLand. The 3DS title was only the obvious dress rehearsal anticipating a game way bigger in scope and size, and that was obviously going to be a home console title from the beginning.
I'm still surprised many people didn't see this coming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
... I am also sure if nintendo wanted this game could be 1080p ...

Not looking like this while still running at 60 fps, they couldn't. If they could, they obviously would have. The Wii U might be the most powerful console currently on the market (still not entirely sure how it compares to the PS360, but it does have the better GPU, right?), but it's still at the same general level. You're gonna see resolution compromises being made all the time to make the games look shinier or run smoother (although hopefully we won't see many sub-HD games on it).

there is a difference. Where its obvious this is Nintendos first HD console you won't here Nintendo bragging about what the console can do, flops, etc. the first thing they advertised and pushed was the gamepad and asymmetrical gameplay. Ps4 was talked about differently Sony fans are more often graphic who're sand Sony knows that. So they are going to boast about the graphical capabilities of the console that doesn't mean they aren't making fun games. There is a difference in those two companies mentalities.
Calling Sony fans "graphic whores" in defense of an already rude generalization is probably one of the greatest double-downs I've ever seen. Seriously? That's not just an asinine over-generalization, it's completely unnecessary in discussion.

It certainly paints a pretty poor picture of you as a poster if that's how you backup your assertion.

Nintendo never discusses specs because they're about IPs. Sony discussed specs because they're a tech company. Regardless, this doesn't explain nor justify saying that Sony only cares about pushing graphical limits, not fun, which was the implication of your post.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
People still thinking of 3DWorld as a cheap sequel are really misunderstanding Nintendo's vision and development course they follow on their games. We can still appreciate game mechanics in their today outputs that were first introduced in Nes days. Nintendo never throw anything away.

3DWorld relation with 3DLand is probably just the other way around what people see on the surface.

EAD were probably resaearching and working on this concept for a long time even before releasing SM3DLand. The 3DS title was only the obvious dress rehearsal anticipating a game way bigger in scope and size, and that was obviously going to be a home console title from the beginning.
I'm still surprised many people didn't see this coming.

I would tend to agree that 3D Land was probably a side-project spawned out of EAD's work on fusing 2d and 3d Mario. Mario Galaxy 2 was clearly chock full of elements that were an attempt to make it more like a 2D Mario game. But it still had limitations, like the lack of a traditional Mario power up system where the player could pick a power-up and play an entire level in a different way.

3D Land was tuned to be too easy, avoiding scaring off casual players who couldn't play 3D Mario - but 3D World appears to be the "real" game EAD must have been planning. What we're seeing now looks as robust as something like Mario Galaxy in terms of play mechanic ideas and large levels. But it definitely is the continuing evolution of what EAD started with Galaxy 2.

gogoud

Most Nintendo games are fun. I'm having a hell of a time playing the mii plaza games thanks to the relay station I set up on my Mac mini. Too addictive. With that said I put nsmbu on hold for a while and came back to it recently and that game is difficult. Having a hell of a time though. If this is as fun as 3d land (which sadly I am parting ways with to take advantage of te futureshop deal) and as difficult as nsmbu then it'll be my goty.

It is a shame that Nintendo puts all of its polishing strengths on already established ips. Their recent undertakings on several new ips that were slipped under the rug on 3ds would have benefitted greatly with that extra polish Nintendo is known for. Not to say they aren't great but they could have been better.

A new ip with all the strength Nintendo is known for in hd would, in my opinion, blow everyone away.

This looks fantastic. Though.

Top Bottom