• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Info Thread

It just says Mar o Kart 8 upside down. I guess the exclamation mark isn't showing up since I assume that's being used as an upside-down i. Disappointed. Thought it was some crazy hip in-joke.

The most popular ones are often disappointing.

Like the Zombi U one(yes, I am bitter because I liked mine better).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looking at the Mario Golf DLC page I have worked out who the final unlockable character in MK8 will be.

Gold Mario

Is the eShop listing up for the game yet? Because I bought SMK and I get $10 off if I buy digitally and I'm looking to verify filesize.

(Just over a month to go T___T)

llehuty

This OT title thing got me hyped, and I preordered the game.

The bonus for preordering at GAME Spain...

101054.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Looking at the Mario Golf DLC page I have worked out who the final unlockable character in MK8 will be.

Gold Mario
This would make sense, if perhaps the fire flower item could be used to shoot golden fireballs that spurred coins, presuming there were some REALLY expensive items in the Mario Motors catalogue for which you would have to basically spend years collecting coins if you hadn't unlocked him. (Golden wheels for 200,000 coins, Golden glider for 500,000 coins, Golden kart for 1,000,000 coins, Golden bike for 2,000,000 coins??? teehee)

It's upside-down.

You know, the anti-gravity angle of racing that way.

Does the text not show upside-down on some devices or something???
Its when they are italicizing the text that it doesn't show up.
I think those are the best:

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 ʇɹɐʞ oıɹɐW

Mario Kart 8 |OT| uıʇoW uı ʎɹʇǝod

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 ʇɹɐʞ o!ɹɐW
This is the only post where I can see the "I". Weirdly the "e" in poetry is missing.

BowieZ

Banned
It's a shame 'T' doesn't work so well upside down too :p

Mario Kart 8 |OT| |┴O| 8 ʇɹɐʞ o!ɹɐW

Timeaisis

God, I love this track. My favorite part is myself forgetting which direction the 90-degree turn is after going off the huge ramp in the middle. I constantly forget because I've played it in Mirror so much. My co-op partner always has to scream "LEFT" or "RIGHT" at the last second to remind me. Mario Kart is the best, guys.

EDIT: It's the turn at 1:18 in that video.

I know this has been gone over before but how many retro courses and original courses have we seen nothing from in the game???

I know there's Yoshi Valley and Sherbet Island for Retros and Rainbow Road for originals...

Ok, let me rephrase that:

Besides the ones I mentioned and all the ones we have seen anything from, how many courses are a mystery???

I know this has been gone over before but how many retro courses and original courses have we seen nothing from in the game???

I know there's Yoshi Valley and Sherbet Island for Retros and Rainbow Road for originals...

Ok, let me rephrase that:

Besides the ones I mentioned and all the ones we have seen anything from, how many courses are a mystery???

2 I think if you exclude RR and Bowser's Castle. One new and one retro.

Ok, let me rephrase that: Besides the ones I mentioned and all the ones we have seen anything from, how many courses are a mystery???
Here's a little summary, in no particular order:

Mario Kart Stadium
Water Park
Sweet Sweet Canyon
Thwomp Ruins

Mario Circuit
Toad Harbour
Twisted Mansion
Shy Guy Falls

Dolphin Shoals
Sunshine Airport
Electrodrome
Bone Dry Dunes

Cloudtop Cruise
(unknown new track)
(unknown new track, but likely a new Bowser's Castle)
(Confirmed but unseen yet new Rainbow Road)

Wii Moo Moo Meadows
GBA Mario Circuit
DS Cheep Cheep Beach
N64 Toad's Turnpike

GCN Dry Dry Desert
SNES Donut Plains 3
N64 Royal Raceway
3DS DK Jungle

(unknown retro track)
(N64 Yoshi Valley?)
(GCN Sherbet Land?)

3DS Music Park

DS Tick-Tock Clock
3DS Piranha Plant Slide
Wii Grumble Volcano
N64 Rainbow Road

Any guess to why we haven't seen the ones we haven't seen???

Obviously, Rainbow Road will be the climax of crazy so that makes sense to not reveal yet but what about the others???

Random or are they saving them on purpose???

BowieZ

Banned

Obviously, Rainbow Road will be the climax of crazy so that makes sense to not reveal yet but what about the others???

The best theory of the moment is that the retro track is either Wario Colosseum, GBA Ribbon Road or SNES Bowser Castle (1-3?), and the new track is an ice/DK track tying into Tropical Freeze (possibly to be revealed alongside Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and/or Funky).

An alternative theory is that there are 40 tracks total, so add to that another 4 new and another 4 retro!

Roo

udivision

Uh... why have we even seen the ones we've seen?
Why do we almost know all of the Mario Kart tracks right now anyway.

Davey Cakes

I come into this thread but I try to ignore certain reveals and videos.

Happy to say I actually don't know most or all of the tracks shown, at least not by heart or down to the details.

I'm trying to be somewhat informed while also maintaining a sort of mini blackout. I'm too excited for this game to experience too much of it via pre-release media.

BowieZ

Banned
Uh... why have we even seen the ones we've seen?
Why do we almost know all of the Mario Kart tracks right now anyway.
Because not much is left to help hype up the Wii U right now... I fully believe had it been a success, much less of Kart would be revealed before release (well apart from through spoilerish reviews of course).

Wasn't there a public event for MK7 were you could play the entire 32 tracks? I think it was the same place where they showed off the life-size bee kart so this isn't the first time they've done this.

Sami+

So I've got a question for you guys:

The only Mario Kart game I ever played intensively and enjoyed was Double Dash, about ten years ago. I'm not really familiar with the more complex mechanics of the game or anything, but I remember having a really great time with it, and watching the Game Grumps play it reminded me of how much fun it was, and got me excited for this game.

The problem is, I've heard tons of complaints about the series (Wii in particular, but I don't know if that game was better or worse about it) when it comes to the luck factor, and that's something that worries me with this one. One of the most exciting appeals of 8 for me is the online play, and I look forward to improving my skills race after race, getting better and better at the game. If items and other factors are going to diminish the importance of skill in order to even the playing field for players who suck, then that's just not very fun for me, and doesn't give me any motivation to play with anyone other than friends and family.

Was 7 better about player skill actually mattering? Does 8 look like it'll be great in that regard?

I've tried looking up comparisons and analyses for the series up to this point to learn the inner mechanics, but I haven't really found anything.

I've heard tons of complaints about the series (Wii in particular, but I don't know if that game was better or worse about it) when it comes to the luck factor, and that's something that worries me with this one. One of the most exciting appeals of 8 for me is the online play, and I look forward to improving my skills race after race, getting better and better at the game. If items and other factors are going to diminish the importance of skill in order to even the playing field for players who suck, then that's just not very fun for me, and doesn't give me any motivation to play with anyone other than friends and family.

Was 7 better about player skill actually mattering? Does 8 look like it'll be great in that regard?

I've tried looking up comparisons and analyses for the series up to this point to learn the inner mechanics, but I haven't really found anything.

All online Mario Kart games require skill, those who whine about bad luck are almost always guys who have never experienced top-level rooms. Talking about constant 9000+VR (MKWii) or very high VR (MK7) here.

Fun fact: the item distribution is actually much more fucked up in offline-only Mario Karts, for example MK64 and MKSC where you can get stars / lightning bolts at ridiculously good positions (2nd).

Yka

Here's a little summary, in no particular order:

(unknown retro track)
(N64 Yoshi Valley?)
(GCN Sherbet Land?)

3DS Music Park

The best theory of the moment is that the retro track is either Wario Colosseum, GBA Ribbon Road or SNES Bowser Castle (1-3?)...

What is the reasoning for Wario Colosseum or GBA Ribbon Road?

There is always a retro Bowser Castle track...

Mario Kart DS = GBA Bowser Castle 2
Mario Kart Wii = GBA Bowser Castle 3 & N64 Bowser Castle
Mario Kart 7 = GBA Bowser Castle 1
Mario Kart 8 = ?

Unused Bowser Castle tracks:

SNES Bowser Castle 1, 2 & 3
GBA Bowser Castle 4
GCN Bowser Castle
DS Bowser Castle
Wii Bowser Castle
3DS Bowser Castle

I hope they pick DS Bowser Castle track.

RagnarokX

DS Bowser Castle is shitty, please GCN Bowsers Castle or the Wii Bowser Castle

Almost every MK64, SMK, and SC track is the worst possible track they could pick but look at what they've done with them in this game. DS Bowser's Castle is actually pretty good. It finishes kind of weak but the part with the fire bar and the spinning log are great.

Top Bottom