• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

lol at the comments on my video. Haters gonna hate. Whatever I love doing them in my spare time.

And OT is done.

I've enjoyed what I played so far. Just started the Mushroom Cup doubles. The tennis mechanics feel solid so far but I need time to feel out the chance shots. More impressions coming soon.
Nice OT. Thanks for creating it.
I went online and on my first match I was pulverized, how are people already so good? Then again Mario didn't seem like he wanted to move, so lag?
well if you've played any previous Mario Tennis, especially Power Tennis, that it feels almost excacly the same. It did to me and I got into it immediatly.

I actually like the chance shots. Its making me do more than just press "A" lolz.

Heres myfriend code if anyone wants it: 3351-4051-6189

I'll try and add anyone who posts. I am not really that good at the game but whatever. I also am on at random times so we might nt actually meet up...lol.

Delio

Doing pretty well in this game CEPT when Boo arrives. Boo has these really weird shots that when player controlled I just cant get to. Sadness.

I'm really disappointed in the reviews. I was hoping that this would be another must have 3DS game, and I was hyped about it. The review scores are making me think whether I should buy the game or not. Initially I thought I was definitely going to get it.

I've only played for about 30 minutes, but I like what I've seen. I look at it as the GameCube Mario Tennis on a handheld system. If you are looking for the RPG experience that previous handheld Mario Tennis games had then you will be disappointed. If you are looking to play tournaments against the computer then you'll enjoy that.

Cygnus X-1

I'm really disappointed in the reviews. I was hoping that this would be another must have 3DS game, and I was hyped about it. The review scores are making me think whether I should buy the game or not. Initially I thought I was definitely going to get it.

Personally I don't care about reviews. Not this time. It's Mario Tennis. You know how it works.

Effect

Went to my local Best Buy today and they didn't even get their shipment in today. :( Oh well guess I'll drive by after work tomorrow or Tuesday. Think I'll just order it online line and wait for them to email that it's ready for pick up. This way I won't have to make a wasted trip again. I'd get it from somewhere else but traded in Starhawk and MW3 Saturday and got a pretty good deal for both them so I have the gift card I want to spend.

Glix

Went to my local Best Buy today and they didn't even get their shipment in today. :( Oh well guess I'll drive by after work tomorrow or Tuesday. Think I'll just order it online line and wait for them to email that it's ready for pick up. This way I won't have to make a wasted trip again. I'd get it from somewhere else but traded in Starhawk and MW3 Saturday and got a pretty good deal for both them so I have the gift card I want to spend.

I went to BB around 11:30 this morning on the way to work. It was not out on the shelf, or even in the case where they keep extras/games not street yet.

They DID however have a little sign in the 3DS section "Mario Tennis available NOW!"

I asked, and one of the Employees went and checked "receiving" and the shipment was there and I got my game.

Effect

I went to BB around 11:30 this morning on the way to work. It was not out on the shelf, or even in the case where they keep extras/games not street yet.

They DID however have a little sign in the 3DS section "Mario Tennis available NOW!"

I asked, and one of the Employees went and checked "receiving" and the shipment was there and I got my game.

Same at my store but then they checked the back and there was nothing there. They even called to see what happen and it seemed they didn't get their shipment.

Delio

This happened at my Target. No games out not even the Purple 3DS. He went and grabbed my game and brought with him two of the purple systems.

Effect

I actually should have just put the order in online to begin with as this has happen to me before. At Kmart with Super Marion 3D Land. This is why I like Amazon and almost exclusively do my game shopping there but didn't want to wait almost two weeks for it to arrive via free shipping.

Edit: I think I'll stop in when I pass by the store over the next few days. Not go out of my way but a few days during the week it's simply on my way when I'm heading somewhere else. If it's there it's there. If not I'll save the money to spend on something else. Not in any rush anymore.

If I didn't already buy Max Payne 3 and Rayman Origins this week, I probably would've picked it up. Might get it in a few weeks to play some multiplayer with GAF.

So, I've been looking around and discovered that there are things in the game that you can unlock through QR codes. The Japanese website for the game has a whole QR section showing a Yoshi costume and a couple different colored Yoshis with the QR logo next to them. They don't have any of the actual codes showing, though. I wonder if NOA will support the QR code feature.

Chatin

Lag has been absolutely brutal in the few matches I've played online. Tournament mode is your classic Tennis game.. only played Mushroom Cup. Ring Shot and Galaxy Rally are a load of fun. Super Mario Tennis mode is fun, but the levels scroll so slowly...

Already unlocked
Baby Peach.. lucky...
, and have noticed that the unlock conditions are given for all items in the Store. I was hoping it would take a note from Smash and have duel conditions of achievements OR game time.

Randdalf

On the topic of no RPG mode, you have to remember that the RPG modes for Advance Tour and Power Tennis were built heavily off the back of the engine they'd already created for Golden Sun. There's no Golden Sun on 3DS yet, and I'd wager that if there is one, we could see a Mario Golf game with an RPG aspect.

On the topic of no RPG mode, you have to remember that the RPG modes for Advance Tour and Power Tennis were built heavily off the back of the engine they'd already created for Golden Sun. There's no Golden Sun on 3DS yet, and I'd wager that if there is one, we could see a Mario Golf game with an RPG aspect.

This explains Mario tennis for GBC... how?

Tyeforce

Picked up the game this morning before going to a Nintendo demo event for the game at a local Walmart, and the Nintendo rep had a special QR code for me to scan! It's the green Yoshi costume. Has this QR code been distributed online yet? If not I wish I could've gotten a picture of it to post online for everyone.

Tyeforce

Can someone tell me how to properly pull off a Lob and Drop Shot using buttons? It says in order to perform them you press "A→B" and "B→A", but I don't know what it means by that. Am I supposed to be pressing A and then press B, or do I press A once and then stop pressing it and press B, or do I press them both at the same time? No matter what I try I can't seem to pull it off correctly.

kadotsu

Banned
Can someone tell me how to properly pull off a Lob and Drop Shot using buttons? It says in order to perform them you press "A→B" and "B→A", but I don't know what it means by that. Am I supposed to be pressing A and then press B, or do I press A once and then stop pressing it and press B, or do I press them both at the same time? No matter what I try I can't seem to pull it off correctly.

"A→B" = Tap A then tap B etc.

There's also Double Tap A or B, and A+B for smashing.

Picked up the game this morning before going to a Nintendo demo event for the game at a local Walmart, and the Nintendo rep had a special QR code for me to scan! It's the green Yoshi costume. Has this QR code been distributed online yet? If not I wish I could've gotten a picture of it to post online for everyone.

Nice.

I heard the Nintendo World Store here in NYC had the QR code. If true, I may stop by there tomorrow.

But my question is..how did they scan the QR when there isn't an option to do so in the game? Did you happen to see how they did it?

I met 2 people today through streetpass. You go into the streetpass option and you'll face them 1v1 or play a game of Ring Shot. Their Mii is controlled by the CPU and the difficulty is really easy.

You'll unlock costumes for meeting a number of people as well as having a certain number of consecutive wins.

Tyeforce

"A→B" = Tap A then tap B etc.

There's also Double Tap A or B, and A+B for smashing.
Ah, thanks.

What are Double Tap and A+B used for?

Nice.

I heard the Nintendo World Store here in NYC had the QR code. If true, I may stop by there tomorrow.

But my question is..how did they scan the QR when there isn't an option to do so in the game? Did you happen to see how they did it?

I met 2 people today through streetpass. You go into the streetpass option and you'll face them 1v1 or play a game of Ring Shot. Their Mii is controlled by the CPU and the difficulty is really easy.

You'll unlock costumes for meeting a number of people as well as having a certain number of consecutive wins.
On the file select screen, press Up on the + Control Pad and START. You'll go to a secret QR Code scanning screen.

The StreetPass is really nice in this game, I got 4 tags already.

Jintor

Press a, then hold a and b = lob shot

Press b, then hold a = drop shot

Best way to practice is to hit the chance circles because they'll 'special activate' when you get the right shot.

Effect

Had to go back out this evening so I stopped by Target after seeing online they had it in stock. No problems picking it up. I'll save the Best Buy gift card for something else in the future at this point though want to use it soon so I can cut ties with BB for good. Don't bother with Kmart anymore and I'll likely won't be dealing with BB anymore after I use the gift card. If I could buy a Amazon.com gift card from them that would be great but not sure they sell those. Anyone know if they do?

Edit: How populated are the leaderboards so far?

Does anyone know if the actual tennis matches are more akin to the N64 rather than GC version? THe GC version was too gimmicky when I just wanted to play someone straight up with stuff moving across the court and powerups after a short rally.

I don't want to be that guy, but anyone?

Just beat the CPU on Ace difficulty. It unlocked the
Birdo
costume.

I found it to be "easier" to beat an Ace CPU when playing on the court you unlock after beating all cups of the tournament because of one specific gimmick.

Here are pictures of the costumes I've unlocked so far:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Hispanicguy/2012-05-20-214520.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Hispanicguy/2012-05-19-125557.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Hispanicguy/2012-05-19-001605.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Hispanicguy/2012-05-18-174808.jpg

Also have the
Mario
costume but didnt take a picture.

On the file select screen, press Up on the + Control Pad and START. You'll go to a secret QR Code scanning screen.

Thank you.

I don't want to be that guy, but anyone?

I'd say it is closer to the N64 game. There are no silly power ups or special moves. But, there are instances where the ground will light up a certain color and if you use the shot type that corresponds with that color then you will hit a slightly more powerful shot.

I'd say it is closer to the N64 game. There are no silly power ups or special moves. But, there are instances where the ground will light up a certain color and if you use the shot type that corresponds with that color then you will hit a slightly more powerful shot.

Alright sounds good, thanks for the reply, it seemed in the GC version that every second shot was a special/power shot.

Effect

Tried two matches so far online and got soundly beat both times. It wasn't even funny or close. Think I'll stick to the single player content for the time being. Unlock more items (like MK7 this seems like a must), etc. I can see this being like Mario Kart 7 where I get more out of the game by not going online. At least with that there is the Communities feature. Oh well. There seems to be enough unlocks in the game and whenever I feel the need for a quick tennis game I can play. Not in any rush to beat this anytime soon as a result. This looks like a game were I'll be playing it off and on as as long as the 3DS last. Going to be treating it and MK7 (now that my frustration with that is slowly going away and I stress slowly).

zroid

Banned
Uh oh, I remember being pretty good at MT -- at least, among my friends -- but this was indeed a very limited sampling, and no fewer than 6 years ago was the last time I played a Mario Tennis game.

Starting to worry. Do not want to get clobbered!

I cant wait till all this goes digital this year. Games like this and mario kart are games i always want in my system in case i meet someone who has it or just want to play a race or two in between something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There's a trade 1 deal at Futureshop, which means I could get the game for $20, but I'm not sure I can shell out for a new Midnight Purple 3DS and the game. We'll see.

Wow this is really addicting despite how the computer likes to piss me off sometimes. I tried all the mini-games, the sidescrolling Super Mario game was kinda meh... :/

yeah everyone in reviews was raving about the super mario minigame and poopooing the others, but I thought it was the worst one. The IDEA is creative, but it's dull.

The game itself is amazing, so fast paced and fun, and it feels like I need to mix up my shots a lot.....the minigames teach you to use the different shots well, which is smart.

Effect

yeah everyone in reviews was raving about the super mario minigame and poopooing the others, but I thought it was the worst one. The IDEA is creative, but it's dull.

The game itself is amazing, so fast paced and fun, and it feels like I need to mix up my shots a lot.....the minigames teach you to use the different shots well, which is smart.
Not really liking that game either. The rings and galaxy games ended up being more fun. Haven't played the ink game yet though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For $40 I have a hard time justifying this, but since it's a Nintendo game, it'll never get any cheaper. Hopefully someone on GAF will get sick of it and sell it to me for cheaper. I just feel like there's not enough there to justify a $40 purchase.

Music is again by Motoi Sakuraba in case someone liked/hated that in the past Mario Tennis games.

Never hated his involvement (I'm a big fan so of course I wouldn't). The N64 games had his best work along with Mario Tennis Power Tour for GBA. The GCN games OST were kinda lame. This soundtrack (Mario Tennis Open) sounds really good from what I've heard though.

Motoi Sakuraba is on a role these recent days. Dark Souls, Beyond the Labyrinth (just got this OST and it's AWESOME), and I have no doubt he did the majority of the music in Kid Icarus: Uprising which was awesome as well. I'm so happy he had his songs arranged for a full orchestra for that game. I think his orchestrations have improved so much from his Star Ocean 3 days.

Oh and thank you for your Sakuraba site, Datschge. I visit every once in a while. :D

Anyway, hoping to get Mario Tennis Open soon.

Top Bottom