• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

dreamfall

Going to pick this up in a couple of hours- I'm pretty excited! It's been a long time since that glorious GBC version. No RPG-lite is sadness, but online multiplayer shall be grand.

Put all the whining about no fake RPG mode in the game, the tennis gameplay is probably the best since the N64 game. It's REALLY REALLY solid. The game looks great too.

Oh, and of course, that classic Mario Tennis music. I'm definitely super satisfied.

I played for about 4 hours yesterday and thought I'd share some impressions.

Let me start by saying I am a very big fan of tennis games with arcadey elements, with my most recent love being Hot Shots Tennis on PSP (which I have played for about 30 hours). I'm also a pretty big fan of Mario sports games so Mario Tennis Open was always on my radar, although I will admit that my interest diminished somewhat over time as the feature set was revealed and the reviews started trickling in. Nonetheless, I couldn't resist picking the game up to accompany me on a fairly long ride home yesterday and now I find myself here.

I'm primarily in this for the SP and I haven't touched MP yet so my impressions will only touch on that aspect of the game.

From the get-go things are a bit sparse, as your only options in SP are tournaments, exhibition matches, and 4 different mini-games. Your enjoyment of the game over a longer period of time (at least with the SP) will depend almost entirely on how interested you are in acquiring new items to equip your Mii with. You unlock these items by playing through the tournaments but you can't actually use them until you purchase them with coins which are earned by playing the mini-games. It didn't take long for me to play each of the mini-games and get a good feel for what each one entailed, and I can already tell that it will definitely require a good bit of grinding if you want to unlock all of the items. All of the mini-games are enjoyable in their own way but they aren't particularly compelling, I really just see them as a means to an end at this point (must get more coins!).

The gameplay feels solid but not quite as nuanced as something like Hot Shots Tennis. This is particularly noticeable when aiming shots, as it feels like the shot can really only be aimed in three different directions (left, straight, or right). In other tennis games you often have the ability to aim not only left to right but also front to back, so you can attempt to place shots in the front, middle, or back areas of the court. Timing is also rather unimportant since you can just hold down the shot button to charge your shot and your character will automatically swing at the right time. It's nothing new for Mario Tennis but I miss not having the level of detail in the aiming present in some other tennis games.

The Chance Shots mechanic has really dominated the gameplay for me so far as it seems like it is the primary way to win a point. Basically a colored circle will appear on the court requiring you to press the corresponding button (blue for slice, red for topspin, etc.). If you get this right it will cause the shot to be powered up in some way, which will often lead to a weak return by your opponent that opens up an opportunity for a finishing smash. As I progressed through the tournaments my opponents became more competent at returning these shots and executing their own which helped keep things interesting, although I'm still unsure as to how things will flow later on in the most difficult tournaments.

Speaking of the tournaments, they are basically as simple as they come. Each tournament is set up with a basic single-elimination bracket that requires defeating three different opponents to win. There is no ranking system like Hot Shots Tennis or Mario Kart 7 so once you've finished a tournament there isn't much incentive to go back unless you simply want more of the core gameplay (which is honestly still a decent draw to me). The tournaments take place across a variety of different courts but the differences aren't very noticeable and none of the courts I've played on so far have anything in the way of interesting wrinkles or gimmicks (which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on what you're interested in).

If you don't want to play primarily as your Mii in this game then you will probably be disappointed with the way progression is handled. I certainly wasn't keen on the idea at first and went in with the mindset that I would stick with Luigi but it only took a few matches to break me down and compel me to switch over to my Mii. The reason for this is simple --- unlocked items can only be equipped to your Mii, which basically means that you will only be able to improve the skills of your character if you are using a Mii. This was disappointing at first but I came to terms with it after a few matches and now I am enjoying playing as my Mii and unlocking and equipping new items for him. It also seems like it would be essential at some point since it becomes somewhat difficult to win points without the added benifits of good equipment, although I haven't played long enough to confirm this one way or the other.

Overall I would say I'm fairly happy with Mario Tennis Open but I definitely feel like there are a lot of missed opportunities. I will probably put a lot of time into this game since I enjoy the core gameplay and I like unlocking and purchasing new items but if that doesn't sound interesting to you then I would suggest passing on this one (unless you're in it for the MP, perhaps).

Holy crap the online is hard. It seems like people have discovered how to use the right stats to Ace people every time. There were a few people using the Bowser uniform and moving all the way to one side to do a power shot with every serve. I bet this will discourage kids from playing online. I wonder if I lose enough if I'll be matched up with lesser skilled people.

Are you guys playing with the buttons or the touch screen?
I've only tried playing with the buttons, I can't imagine any reason why the touch screen would be better. I guess the only advantage is you don't have to press two buttons for a single shot but other than that it seems kind of pointless to me.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think I'll be getting this as the Mario Tennis games never clicked with me, although Sega Tennis for 360 and Wii Sports Tennis did. However, if I were to get this, it would be for the Tennis itself and not the RPG mode.

Dammit, keep getting close to 500 on Pro Rings multiple times is really frustrating

EDIT: And I finally complete it. Trying to hit lobs with the buttons became a pain so I used the touch screen.

Effect

Holy crap the online is hard. It seems like people have discovered how to use the right stats to Ace people every time. There were a few people using the Bowser uniform and moving all the way to one side to do a power shot with every serve. I bet this will discourage kids from playing online. I wonder if I lose enough if I'll be matched up with lesser skilled people.

The few times I played last night this was happening. Not even close to being fun. I can actually see myself not even bothering with online because of this. It's crazy. That along with some lag spikes. It's likely this game might be better against actual friends where you can agree not to try to power the fist shot. Matches can be over in seconds.

Playing with the touch screen for the drop shot and the other one as I don't want to worry about the button presses. Using the buttons for the other shots.

bluemax

Banned
Game seems fun so far. Finished the first tournament as my Mii. I need more coins to buy all the stuff from the store though. How do I get more coins?

BD1

Banned
My local Best Buy did not have the game, which annoys me greatly, as I'm on a plane tomorrow for a business trip and I want something new to play.

Also, good god, the 3DS section at BB is a mess. It's mixed in with DS, with no rhyme or reason to anything. Is it like that at all Best Buy locations? If it is, the BB account manager for NoA should get a kick the arse.

Well, I wasn't gonna get this game for a while, but I was able to get a really good trade in deal for it, so I've got it now.

I hope the all the QR characters aren't just yoshis.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Holy crap the online is hard. It seems like people have discovered how to use the right stats to Ace people every time. There were a few people using the Bowser uniform and moving all the way to one side to do a power shot with every serve. I bet this will discourage kids from playing online.

They probably ARE kids.

Ouch IGN giving a game a score below 7 means it's terrrrrible.

STOP THE PRESSES!! IGN GAVE A GAME A BAD SCORE! THAT MUST MEAN IT IS A FACT THAT IT IS BAD!

Who cares what IGN says? On that note, who cares what any site or ametuer reviewer says. This game is damn fun. If you like fun...get it.

Datschge

Beyond the Labyrinth (just got this OST and it's AWESOME)
This so much. I hope he'll get asked to do more unusual styles like in that in the future.

I always like hearing Sakuraba's work in Mario Tennis games as he uses a playful light progressive rock style there that he doesn't get to do often anymore in recent more serious games after Valkyrie Profile 1. And Mario Tennis Open appears to benefit from streamed prerecorded music finally.

dreamfall

I played about three hours online and it feels a little bit strange. It's wildly addictive because of the Tie-break setup, but that is what also is frustrating. Outside of creating games with your friends, can you have a full length match of multiple games/sets? Maybe, I'm not seeing it.

Regardless, I played a bunch of matches where I got destroyed. After about 20 minutes, it started to feel way better. Moving up on those monthly leaderboards! I find myself not using the power-up shots constantly; just because I trust in placing a more straightforward shot. It has been a ton of fun though!

Finally beat 1-4 of Super Mario Tennis, then the game told me to take a break. :lol

It seems they didn't really think through that mini-game. I think they got hung up on a concept and went with it even though it's not that enjoyable, at least in my opinion. (Trying to hit that tiny axe was not fun.)

Picked up the game today but only had time for about 30 minutes before I headed out for the night.

Game is rock solid and super tight. Would kill for that RPG mode (Mario Golf 3DS! Believe!) but what are you gonna do?

Early problem so far is the unwanted changing of camera angles. It activates automatically when you tilt your 3DS and it's super disorienting mid volley. Haven't found a way to turn this off.

Symphonic

Really enjoying this game so far! I don't understand why they are saying it's lacking in content...it has just as much as MK7.

Picked up the game today but only had time for about 30 minutes before I headed out for the night.

Game is rock solid and super tight. Would kill for that RPG mode (Mario Golf 3DS! Believe!) but what are you gonna do?

Early problem so far is the unwanted changing of camera angles. It activates automatically when you tilt your 3DS and it's super disorienting mid volley. Haven't found a way to turn this off.

That constant camera movement can be such a pain. lol.

Here's the solution :

Pause the game before the match starts or during the match to bring up the pause menu. There you will find an icon that gives you the option to turn off the gyro controls.

Here's the solution :

Pause the game before the match starts or during the match to bring up the pause menu. There you will find an icon that gives you the option to turn off the gyro controls.

The worst part about it is that it never seems to stay off.

nron10

Neo Member
I believe if you go to the Clubhouse on the main menu and do something with the settings there, you can permanently turn the gyro mode off. If I had my game in front of me, I'd be able to detail it more, but I do not. :(

The worst part about it is that it never seems to stay off.
You can turn off gyro controls/camera angles permanently. Just go to the Clubhouse section of the main menu, and then click on Options. You should see a place to toggle off the gyro mode for the game.

Ah, nice! Found the options like you said.

Been messing around with some of the outfits.. How do I do stat comparing? Doesn't seem to be a clear way to do this. The pie charts are difficult to compare with when items are multiple pages across.

Symphonic

Been messing around with some of the outfits.. How do I do stat comparing? Doesn't seem to be a clear way to do this. The pie charts are difficult to compare with when items are multiple pages across.

This is my only complaint at the moment, the pie charts are useless. I have no clue which racket is best.

Yeah I have no idea either. It's a mess.

Top Bottom