• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

Sesha

He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games. So far their two publicly announced partners are Insomniac and Telltale. He speaks very fondly of the LEGO games, but IIRC that's run out of the mobile licensing division.

They say that now. I'll believe they care about consistent quality when they've produced 5-10+ solid games.

In any case, they should work with Capcom and Platinum. Capcom probably doesn't want to develop AAA games that aren't their own IP, but they could use the money and attention that kind of deal would entail.

Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.

Guess that leaves out Capcom. No doubt their development teams would love to work on Marvel games, but I doubt that includes management.

sense

Actually now that I think about it, this is what I want to know too.

I mean, Marvel/Disney owns his property in comics, tv shows, and now movies, but what if Sony worked a deal out for the franchise on video games in return for the deal for movie rights going back to Marvel Studios?

If the partnership works,w e could potentially even see Disney working with Sony on other things since they dont have a game studio any more.

Yfw Disney and Sony vs Nintendo and Universal.
vs Microsoft and Six Flags

they are going to have pry the movie rights from Sony's dead body. i highly doubt sony would ever let that go.

EDarkness

Honestly, I don't think what is keeping this deal exclusive with Sony is some sort of 'want' on their part; the speculation has always been that Sony fought for the deal during the negotiations for Spider-man entering the MCU.

I hadn't thought about that, but it makes a lot of sense. Sony lost the animated TV series rights, so having the game is the next best thing.

Rozart

Wow. Those are some strict and lofty guidelines. Good on them for wanting to make sure that their Superhero games are of tip-top quality. Glad that movie tie-in games are over. Rocksteady having free reign over the Arkham series was one of the primary reasons why i think they were able to make such fantastic games.

As for working with Insomniac specifically, Jay mentions that they're only 10 minutes away from the studio and 10 minutes away from Sony as well

This made me chuckle though.

They say that now. I'll believe they care about consistent quality when they've produced 5-10+ solid games.

In any case, they should work with Capcom and Platinum. Capcom probably doesn't want to develop AAA games that aren't their own IP, but they could use the money and attention that kind of deal would entail.

Marvel isn't the one paying to get these games made.

Marvel is using Sony's money for that Spider-man game.

Someone ( a publisher or the developer themselves ) have to fork out the money to make the game.

nillah

Banned
fuck yeah

giphy.gif

619565boxart_160w.jpg
spiderman on the gamecube was my SHIT

F4r0_Atak

Jay Ong has done two more interviews about Marvel's upcoming plans:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/16/j...-return-to-blockbuster-games-with-spider-man/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-06-15-spider-man-leads-marvels-epic-new-console-strategy

Summary:
  • Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these.

Guess we shouldn't expect the Spider-Man games coming on other consoles. I was right to think that this Spider-man game (and potential series/franchise) would be and stay Playstation exclusive.

Neoxon

M-rated Wolverine developed by Platinum. The good Platinum, not the TMNT one.

M-rated Deadpool game by Ninja Theory.

M-rated Punisher game by the dudes who made Spec-Ops: The Line.
There's an ongoing ban on X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games (as implied by Nirolak).

Apathy

I didn't really get the sense that they had another game with Sony, but the interview didn't rule that (or another console vendor) out.

We'll never know, but I think no one would be surprised that the reason for spiderman being a Sony exclusive is somehow tied to the contracts for the movie and a concession that marvel had to make to get spiderman in the MCU.

Going forward I can see the other super hero games being multi platform, just makes sense financially.

Sesha

Someone ( a publisher or the developer themselves ) have to fork out the money to make the game.

I understood that. I meant money from sales.

lupinko

I want a Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool game made by Platinum (Kenji Saito or the Bayo 2 director).

Most importantly a Deadpool game made by Platinum (same people above) or by Capcom (Itsuno) but if it'll be Capcom, why not Deadpool May Cry with Dante?

Also Ultimate Marvel 3 for new consoles / PC and Marvel vs Capcom 4.

Don't expect the Spider-Man games coming on other consoles. I was right to think that this Spider-man game (and potential series/franchise) would be Playstation exclusive.

Marvel is not that dumb. The deal probably has duration like Star Wars games for EA like 10 years

SpaceWolf

Banned
This news kind of worries me.

If they end up serializing the Spiderman series, isn't that going to inevitably lead to a dip in quality?

eFKac

*EDIT: It would be interesting if they assigned different character to different manufacturers. For example, Spidey would be Sony, Ironman would be Microsoft, and Captain America would be Nintendo. Or something like that.

That would be the shittiest scenario possible, cause they would be effectively asking fans of their properties to buy 3 different consoles. Either go exclusive for one vendor or multiplatform.

Sesha

After all the Activision Platinum games, I don't think Platinum build a good portfolio.

Transformers: Devastation was good. Korra and Turtles were clearly done on the cheap, Turtles to tie in with the movie. The latter two were also done by the same director and some of the same team members as well.

It's less about finding the good developers, but more "which publisher will actually invest a shit-load of money into the Marvel games"

Activision, as rich as they were, wasn't that partner for Spidey. They were not investing Call of Duty level resources into Spiderman.

Apparently Sony was somehow the partner that was willing to open their wallets.

HussiZooT

Music to my ears.

Can't wait to have proper good Marvel games, unlike their rushed movie-tie in jobs of the past.

And as other posters have stated, I'll like to see how they'll handle the crossover games when Spider-man is exclusive.

Will most marvel games end up being exclusive to Sony? Sucker Punch making an Iron-man game? Naughty Dog making a Punisher game? SSM making a Hulk/Thor/Captain America game? Sony Bend making a Black Widow game?

Yes. I'm only dreaming.

vivekTO

i wonder if sony/marvel worked out deals for more than just spiderman. I have mentioned before that i can see thor/hulk from god of war team and sucker punch could work on avengers type game with multiple characters and each with one specific power.

Your wish is already fulfilled
:p

Neoxon

Guess that leaves out Capcom. No doubt their development teams would love to work on Marvel games, but I doubt that includes management.
At the same time, Capcom was satisfied with the numbers that both MvC3 games pulled (all things considered). SFV underperformance aside (which wasn't by much & was due to a result that Capcom caused themselves), I'm sure they see the potential in working with Marvel again. The only issue is that Capcom may take the fall for the lack of X-Men & F4 characters, which may not bode well given the heat they're getting for SFV's current lack of content.

Wow. So now Spider Man is basically a Sony franchise.

That is... fucking huge.

Sony has always owned the Spiderman movies and I would expect that this video game partnership was one of the things Sony demanded from marvel in return for handing over their movie franchise back to them. It's a win-win scenario for both parties it seems.

Neoxon

I want a Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool game made by Platinum (Kenji Saito or the Bayo 2 director).

Most importantly a Deadpool game made by Platinum (same people above) or by Capcom (Itsuno) but if it'll be Capcom, why not Deadpool May Cry with Dante?

Also Ultimate Marvel 3 for new consoles / PC and Marvel vs Capcom 4.
I think we both know that won't happen anytime soon.

EDarkness

That would be the shittiest scenario possible, cause they would be effectively asking fans of their properties to buy 3 different consoles. Either go exclusive for one vendor or multiplatform.

Hmmm...I don't see that as being any different than having to buy one specific platform just to play Marvel games. Granted it's only one platform, but what if it's a platform the person has no interest in at all? My thought is just go multiplatform and cover all bases. Players win.

KevinCow

Banned
I hope this works out well. My fear is that Spider-Man PS4 doesn't turn out that great, and thus doesn't sell as well as they're hoping, and it scares them away from console games again. See what happened to Disney after Epic Mickey, for instance.

wapplew

Transformers: Devastation was good. Korra and Turtles were clearly done on the cheap, Turtles to tie in with the movie. The latter two were also done by the same director and some of the same team members as well.

True, but Marvel might look at reviews and sales and that don't paint a pretty picture. They are not Platinum fans like GAF here.

shinkai

Whens MAHVEL baby!? These are exciting times.

We are finally getting great Marvel games again and no more shitty tied in movie games!

vg260

[*]Movie tie-in games are over for Marvel. This is the same as their mobile strategy. All games will be given lengthy development cycles with all the budget they need and have no concerns about hitting a specific date tied to a movie/comic book/whatever. Marvel is very clear that developers cannot be rushed or underfunded if they're going to make great games.

This is good.

Neoxon

Here's my post from the Spider-Man thread detailing everything I was able to dig up on the infamous X-Men/Fantastic Four/Deadpool ban.

Marvel legally has the rights to give developers access to their entire cast of characters thanks to Activision's hold on certain franchises (the X-Men for example) expiring back in 2014. The only license Activision has left is the Spider-Man movie tie-in license, which expires next year. This isn't a matter of Marvel not being able to use X-Men & Fantastic Four characters, it's the fact that they don't want to. Marvel's been trying to minimize the exposure of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in an attempt to lower the popularity of both properties (which would in turn screw over Fox). Within the last few years, Marvel has had a bit of a feud with 20th Century Fox over the properties they still hold the movie rights for (the X-Men & the Fantastic Four). It grew to the point where, after the release of Marvel: Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice knock-off by Kablam), Marvel imposed a complete ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters in games made after Contest of Champions. One of the first victims of the ban was Marvel Mighty Heroes, whose developer (DeNA) had this to say on the matter.

mmh.png

To clarify what this ban means....
  • As stated earlier, all new games made after Contest of Champions are not allowed to use any X-Men & Fantastic Four characters. This includes the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Cyclops, Jean Grey/Phoenix, X-23, Storm, Magneto, Super-Skrull, Sentinel, & more.
  • Games made before the ban with active contracts, like Marvel Heroes (the PC MMO), can add whoever they want until their current contracts expires (Ex: Gazillion's existing contract with Marvel expires in 2019).
  • Remasters &/or ports of older games can be re-released untouched (Ex: The Deadpool remaster for PS4 & XB1).
  • The Maximoff Twins, Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) & Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), are only allowed on a case-by-case basis (Ex: Lego Marvel's Avengers). Only their comic book & MCU incarnations can be used in the event that Marvel allows a developer to use one or both of the Twins, & zero references to their X-Men history can be made. They've also been banned from games more times than not, but their inclusion in certain games isn't impossible.
As for the timeline on how this has affected post-CoC games...
  • Avengers Alliance 2: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Avengers Academy: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers: The Maximoff Twins are present, No X-Men, No Fantastic Four
  • Marvel Mighty Heroes: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Marvel Future Fight: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
  • Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0: No X-Men, No Fantastic Four, No Maximoff Twins
I hope this clears things up a bit.

Yes, exactly. Expect to see the likes of Sony, Ubisoft, Bethesda and MS step up to the plate. I don't think EA will be interested as they've already got all of their studios busy with Star Wars, and I don't think Marvel will want Activision to do anything else unless they actually put the budget and effort in this time. Take Two are a maybe I guess, but their input is a bit more infrequent and I imagine they'll want their internal teams working on in-house properties.

Either way, I'd love to see a Black Panther game done properly. He was so fucking cool in Civil War.

Neoxon

Telltale is making Marvel AND DC games? These guys really get around.
Rumor has it that the Marvel game that Telltale is making is for Guardians of the Galaxy (it'd make sense, since interactions between unique characters & talking animals are right up Telltale's alley).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Telltale is making Marvel AND DC games? These guys really get around.

Well, I mean, Marvel licenses their superheroes to Warner Bros to make LEGO games. I don't think that's a huge hang-up for them.

Warner even gave a "no comment" when asked if Disney's exit from Toys to Life meant that Warner can now make Marvel/Star Wars/etc figurines and content for LEGO Dimensions.

Still think it's so shitty of Marvel to do this.

I get that they want their properties back but they signed deals, they should honor them. Though I do sort of get F4, Fox has really never made a good F4 movie and I want Marvel to get those rights back. Xmen has been hit or miss though and has made Fox/Marvel good money.

Top Bottom