• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel shares new info about their console plans, Spider-Man will be ongoing series

vg260

Guess that leaves out Capcom. No doubt their development teams would love to work on Marvel games, but I doubt that includes management.

I don't know if current management is that excited about Marvel, at least maybe not as much as when Christian Svensson was still at Capcom. He loved the Marvel series, and from what he said, helped close that deal.

Sesha

At the same time, Capcom was satisfied with the numbers that both MvC3 games pulled (all things considered). SFV underperformance aside (which wasn't by much & was due to a result that Capcom caused themselves), I'm sure they see the potential in working with Marvel again. The only issue is that Capcom may take the fall for the lack of X-Men & F4 characters, which may not bode well given the heat they're getting for SFV's current lack of content.

I have to pardon myself. I made a massive mess of my post. The quote I made included my comment to the first quote, as I'd unknowingly removed Nirolak's quote. The quote I meant to do talked about how they want to work with developers with a passion for the IP from a creative standpoint and not a financial one.

I want a Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool game made by Platinum (Kenji Saito or the Bayo 2 director).

Most importantly a Deadpool game made by Platinum (same people above) or by Capcom (Itsuno) but if it'll be Capcom, why not Deadpool May Cry with Dante?

Also Ultimate Marvel 3 for new consoles / PC and Marvel vs Capcom 4.

Wasn't Yusuke Hashimoto the one that wanted to work on a Spider-Gwen game?

BKSmash

So Insomniac is now stuck with Spiderman? Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome and they're the perfect developers for it. But they've already got awesome franchises going on.

Neoxon

Does marvel prevent x men appearing in games because they don't have the movie rights?
More-or-less, yeah. I pulled a post from the Spider-Man thread detailing everything that I was able to uncover concerning the ban that's in the previous page. The short of it, Marvel doesn't want to promote Fox material.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I second this

So is Insomniac tied to Spidey indefinitely now?

For Spider-Man specific console games, they will be made by Insomniac/Sony.

If you're asking if Spider-Man can appear in a fighting game or a MOBA or a mobile game or probably even a LEGO family oriented game, those are still open.

However, you won't see another developer making a core oriented action/adventure Spider-Man title for consoles.

So Insomniac is now stuck with Spiderman? Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome and they're the perfect developers for it. But they've already got awesome franchises going on.
Won't mean a thing you would've thought they were focused on all tge other games they got going on. The team is very efficient I wouldn't worry

vypek

I wonder if we'll get more franchises being exclusive to other platforms. It sounds like Insomniac/Sony will be the only ones who will have Spider-Man for the long haul. It wouldn't be too shocking if Microsoft ended up with a hero all on their own.

The notes sound great, especially them wanting to take their time and not rush development so they can make top tier games without doing move tie-ins.

I think Ted Price (CEO name right?) would be very happy at having a franchise tied to the studio for a while if it would let the studio grow and guarantee work for employees.

i'd like deadpool by capcom or platinum games but written by tim schafer.

marvel slimes need to use the xmen ip too, it's all money going in their pockets at the end of the day merch wise anyways. i have a feeling this is perlmutter's doing.

i like that they're taking an arkham-series approach to their IPs going forward hopefully. now I think WB should look at opening up to a Birds of Prey, or Superman game. Flash could be done really well too in the vein of Infamous First Light. We'll see what marvel puts out next after Spiderman.

Neoxon

If Marvel wants them to.
Spider-Man has no ban holding him back. While I don't expect anyone else to make Spider-Man specific games, I doubt that Marvel would want to hold him back from appearing in other Marvel-wide games. So if Capcom wanted Spider-Man & Green Goblin in MvC4, there's no stopping them.

Sesha

I don't know if current management is that excited about Marvel, at least maybe not as much as when Christian Svensson was still at Capcom. He loved the Marvel series, and from what he said, helped close that deal.

I'm sure Capcom US would love it. It's Capcom Japan that I doubt would be receptive to the idea.

If you're asking if Spider-Man can appear in a fighting game or a MOBA or a mobile game or probably even a LEGO family oriented game, those are still open.

However, you won't see another developer making a core oriented action/adventure Spider-Man title for consoles.

I wonder if that includes parts of Spidey's supporting case and microverse, such as Gwen Stacy, Miles Morales or Venom.

sense

i am sure they can work on more than one game as they have multiple teams. one was doing sunset, another was working on ratchet for ps4, and some other were doing vr games

Rozart

I get that they want their properties back but they signed deals, they should honor them. Though I do sort of get F4, Fox has really never made a good F4 movie and I want Marvel to get those rights back. Xmen has been hit or miss though and has made Fox/Marvel good money.

Exactly.

Yeap. It's one thing if these properties are floundering under Fox but aside from F4, they're doing fine. Fox has done a great job with Deadpool and X-Men too honestly.

I read that next Spider-man game creative director want to work on Spider-man game when he heard his studio was chosen and Nirolak post stated that Marvel only works with studios really want to work on Marvel IP so I think Insomniac don't mind with it

J-Skee

I still want to know the specifics of how the publishing deal for Spider-Man happened. I thought Sony's relationship with Insomniac wasn't that great. I know they just released Ratchet & Clank, but Insomniac's big thing is that they want to own their IP's now & that was supposedly a big reason for them going with Microsoft for Sunset Overdrive. But then this is Spider-Man, which is Marvel/Disney's IP, so... it's just confusing. I wish I could be the fly on the wall in these meetings.

F4r0_Atak

Marvel is not that dumb. The deal probably has duration like Star Wars games for EA like 10 years

Maybe... but since Sony are publishing this Spider-Man game, like I said in another thread, don't expect the games made by Sony+Insomniac to ever appear on other systems (as Sony seem to have exclusive rights to the potential series/franchise).

Neoxon

i'd like deadpool by capcom or platinum games but written by tim schafer.

marvel slimes need to use the xmen ip too, it's all money going in their pockets at the end of the day merch wise anyways. i have a feeling this is perlmutter's doing.

i like that they're taking an arkham-series approach to their IPs going forward hopefully. now I think WB should look at opening up to a Birds of Prey, or Superman game. Flash could be done really well too in the vein of Infamous First Light. We'll see what marvel puts out next after Spiderman.
Based on what we know, the X-Men/F4 ban is most likely Ike Perlmutter's doing.

vg260

I'm sure Capcom US would love it. It's Capcom Japan that I doubt would be receptive to the idea.

Yeah, I believe that. I don't know who would be trying to close a deal with Marvel on that front though. (i.e. who would show the most enthusiasm right off the bat).

Jay Ong seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I liked his answers. I hope Disney/Star Wars starts to get handled the same way though. I heard they rushed Battlefront for the movies but they really don't need to do that lol. I guess December was a special time but now that everything is booted up, Star Wars a guaranteed money maker (not that it ever wasn't), like Marvel.

Neoxon

Yeah, I believe that. I don't know who would be trying to close a deal with Marvel on that front though.
Judging by Sven being the one to close the deal last time, I'd assume that Capcom USA would take care of negotiations with Marvel Entertainment. All Capcom Japan really has to do is develop the game.

Compbros

Actually now that I think about it, this is what I want to know too.

I mean, Marvel/Disney owns his property in comics, tv shows, and now movies, but what if Sony worked a deal out for the franchise on video games in return for the deal for movie rights going back to Marvel Studios?

If the partnership works,w e could potentially even see Disney working with Sony on other things since they dont have a game studio any more.

Yfw Disney and Sony vs Nintendo and Universal.
vs Microsoft and Six Flags

Spider-man on his worst day is a 700 million dollar box office. They're not giving that up.

Does marvel prevent x men appearing in games because they don't have the movie rights?

Pretty much. I think it's down to Fox refusing to share/give merchandising rights, so as a result Marvel has basically banned any content which could benefit Fox's Marvel movies.

ZeroX03

Banned
This all sounds really great.

But I want to see them actually stick to it long term, and not bail if their IPs aren't the biggest in the market in three years time.

Anth0ny

[*]Movie tie-in games are over for Marvel. This is the same as their mobile strategy. All games will be given lengthy development cycles with all the budget they need and have no concerns about hitting a specific date tied to a movie/comic book/whatever. Marvel is very clear that developers cannot be rushed or underfunded if they're going to make great games.

legit amazed they care at this point. they could easy just cash in on the MCU by releasing a shitty, rushed tie in game every time a new movie drops. good on em.

[*]Insomniac/Sony's Spider-Man series will be the only console Spider-Man series going forward. They want to find excellent teams and then dedicate the IPs to them so they can focus on quality. That's not to say Spider-Man can't be in a cross-over game, but you won't see something like Activision console Spider-Man games coming out alongside these.

[*]He's also clear that Marvel will only work with developers who they think will make excellent, top tier titles instead of just "good" games. So far their two publicly announced partners are Insomniac and Telltale. He speaks very fondly of the LEGO games, but IIRC that's run out of the mobile licensing division.

[*]Marvel will also only work with developers who are clearly very excited about the IP itself instead of just the IP's money making potential. He notes that he can usually tell within the first 30 seconds if someone is actually passionate about the IP in question.

marvel

vs

capcom

KevinCow

Banned

Do they? Sunset Overdrive failed to light the world on fire so it probably won't be getting a sequel, and Resistance is dead. Ratchet remake did well and will likely be getting a sequel, but Insomniac is a big enough studio to work on two franchises at once, like how they worked on both Ratchet and Resistance during the PS3 years.

I'd be fine if Insomniac spent the next 5 years or so as a Ratchet and Spider-Man studio.

For that franchise. Other companies can use Spider-Man in their games if they want to.

Thanks you both. Well I guess it's looking good so far and I'm excited to see what they can deliver. Hopefully adding some strong story elements.

Thewonandonly

This is great to hear.

Gets me ever closer to the punisher game, made by either rockstar or remedy. Both can do a create story based on max Payne, and both can do great gameplay based on well max Payne. Honesly I just want max Payne reskined as punisher with bullet time and everything.

Now that that would be fucking incredible :)

P.S. If someone can makes threads which I can't anymore :'( someone should make dream teams for marvel games :)

Silexx

I get that they want their properties back but they signed deals, they should honor them. Though I do sort of get F4, Fox has really never made a good F4 movie and I want Marvel to get those rights back. Xmen has been hit or miss though and has made Fox/Marvel good money.

You're not wrong, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Marvel signed those deals before they were acquired by Disney and when they were in a much weaker position. They were effectively signing these lopsided deals in order to get themselves out of bankruptcy. Now that they are owned by Disney and are in a much stronger position, they're effectively using their influence to try and get their own IP back.

To be clear, Marvel is not doing anything that doesn't honour the movie deals they signed with Fox, but they are playing politics in order to strong arm Fox into caving.

Dinjooh

Didn't John Vignocchi and Adam Boyes talk about this yesterday on Giant Bomb?

Don't remember if anything new was said.

Rymuth

Huge get for Sony.

Really hope we get better treatment for Iron Man and Cap as opposed to their cheap tie-ins in the past

x360_iron_man-110214.jpg

cap2.jpg

I still want to know the specifics of how the publishing deal for Spider-Man happened. I thought Sony's relationship with Insomniac wasn't that great. I know they just released Ratchet & Clank, but Insomniac's big thing is that they want to own their IP's now & that was supposedly a big reason for them going with Microsoft for Sunset Overdrive. But then this is Spider-Man, which is Marvel/Disney's IP, so... it's just confusing. I wish I could be the fly on the wall in these meetings.

wut? Just because Sony turned down Sunset Override doesn't mean their relationship is over. You have to remember that they have worked with Sony since PS2

Neoxon

You're not wrong, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Marvel signed those deals before they were acquired by Disney and when they were in a much weaker position. They were effectively signing these lopsided deals in order to get themselves out of bankruptcy. Now that they are owned by Disney and are in a much stronger position, they're effectively using their influence to try and get their own IP back.

To be clear, Marvel is not doing anything that doesn't honour the movie deals they signed with Fox, but they are playing politics in order to strong arm Fox into caving.
That's the thing, Marvel has full control over the non-Fox incarnations of the X-Men & the Fantastic Four in anything not live-action. That's the reason why Marvel is able to get away with this ban, it's technically not a breach of their deal with Fox.

Man, I wish every company cared this much about getting good games made for their IPs. Think about how amazing it could be if something like Adventure Time had a AAA budget and a great dev studio for their console games.

Props to Marvel for understanding that the Batman Arkham games weren't some weird fluke, that you can get incredibly good superhero games as long as you have a passionate, talented team working on a property without being hamstrung by time or budget.

That's all very well and everything, but Spider-Man will probably sell 5x the amount that Sunset Overdrive did, and I'm sure they'll continue with smaller projects like Edge of Nowhere and that animal fighting game. They're a big enough studio for multiple projects, even if at any time one of those projects is bigger than all the others.

Top Bottom