• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Want Comic Store Staff To Dress Like Hydra During Secret Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurgen

Marvel to Retailers: "Pay for these shirt to dress as a Nazi fascimile and promote our crossover."

The brief period of Marvel Comics being a competent and clever company seem to be over.

It was a good ten years or so. We're back to the incompetent shit bag company I knew growing up.

LosDaddie

Banned
Bleeding Cool continues to be tabloid nonsense.

How exactly is that t-shirt "dressing like Hydra?" Comic shops have been selling Hydra branded shirts for years.

Making them buy the shirts is dumb but come the fuck on.

Exactly.

Dumb to even ask LCSs to pay for these shirt. I guess Disney is tightening their budget.

dlauv

This doesn't really seem like it is what it says it is.

It's a shirt with a promo for the new event, which it even has written on it.

Dali

Even Agents of Shield was up front about the two groups being given undeniably linked.

Lol ikr. Coulson was teaching hydra propaganda and one his students was like "wait... hydra were Nazis." Coulson denied it. Later in the episode same kid asks Daisy to see if she's cool "how Nazi are hydra?" Her answer: "sooooo fucking nazi."

I guess the messaging in the shows isn't run by the comics division. I imagine that makes it super difficult to do whatever it is they are trying to do when the movies and shows are likely consumed by a much greater number of people.

Edit: someone beat me with a gif and it was gamma not daisy. Still that mixed messaging.

TTOOLL

http://i.imgur.com/deOAbb3.gif

[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/6214f0df1682fbfb43256ea71c6b9875/tumblr_omggfuU7DI1r4pq4io3_1280.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from the other thread.[/QUOTE]

Man, I'm not saying they are not related, c'mon, read again.

Kurdel

Banned
The Empire didn't get their start by working with the ACTUAL Nazis.

Even Agents of Shield was up front about the two groups being given undeniably linked.

It's cosmic cube retcon on top of normal retcons, this is how serialized media works, things change.

Kurdel

Banned
Shamelessly stolen from the other thread.

Meanwhile, in 2017.

Sp2d5Rz.jpg

Cap also kills Red Skull for revenge for what he turned Hydra into.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
This doesn't really seem like it is what it says it is.

It's a shirt with a promo for the new event, which it even has written on it.

The event refers to HYDRA's end-game, of which the 'flash-forward' we've seen shows the 'usual' fascist elements: Persecuting and killing minorities (mutants, inhumans) and trying to get people to 'turn the suspicious' in so the government can thrive.

Seems pretty iffy to try and promote an event with that as even a potential end-game, but maybe that's just me.

Meanwhile, in 2017.

So....a BLATANT retcon (via cosmic cube), in which one of the key HYDRA players STILL states that they were trying to work with the Nazis to further their own goals....means everything's cool now?

Phamit

Lol ikr. Coulson was teaching hydra propaganda and one his students was like "wait... hydra were Nazis." Coulson denied it. Later in the episode same kid asks Daisy to see if she's cool "how Nazi are hydra?" Her answer: "sooooo fucking nazi."

I guess the messaging in the shows isn't run by the comics division. I imagine that makes it super difficult to do whatever it is they are trying to do when the movies and shows are likely consumed by a much greater number of people.

Last Season they had the whole the real Hydra is an ancient organization thing and that the group working with the Nazis was only a different one with a different philosophy within Hydra

Slayven

Valtýr;234397253 said:
clickbait garbage with inaccurate reporting.

Par for the course. Bleeding Cool is the one pushing "Diversity is killing comics, hide the minorities and women!"

Lagamorph

At first I thought it was a pretty neat idea, but then I read the part about Marvel wanting stores to pay for the shirts themselves.

Nah. If you're gonna do this then at least provide the shirts free of charge.

caliph95

The event refers to HYDRA's end-game, of which the 'flash-forward' we've seen shows the 'usual' fascist elements: Persecuting and killing minorities (mutants, inhumans) and trying to get people to 'turn the suspicious' in so the government can thrive.

Seems pretty iffy to try and promote an event with that as even a potential end-game, but maybe that's just me.

So....a BLATANT retcon (via cosmic cube), in which one of the key HYDRA players STILL states that they were trying to work with the Nazis to further their own goals....means everything's cool now?
IIRC Hickman did that ages ago in Secret Warriorson how hydra predates the nazis and have different branches

Slayven

Last Season they had the whole the real Hydra is an ancient organization thing and that the group working with the Nazis was only a different one with a different philosophy within Hydra

866367-thronemaster004.jpg

Every secret organization has layers that say "Nah we the real power behind the curtains"

enemy2k

Can't believe they want shops to pay to wear these shirts lol. Should have been provided free to shops that signed up to wear them. Still tone deaf as hell tho.

Mindwipe

Bleedingcool is the Breitbart of comic news

It's a fucking t-shirt

Yep. I'm normally the one who defends BC here, but this is pretty obviously Rich aiming clickbait at Gaf and Twitter, and going to the point of literal untruths in the headline to do it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's not just t-shirts.

The headline of the article says they want store staff to dress like Hydra.

That is literally a lie. Bleeding Cool made it up.

And they've created a mob with pitchforks on Twitter with people retweeting their headline and thinking that's what is happening.

This is the definition of the "fake news" issue.

Kurdel

Banned

It's all convoluted, but she was part of a dissenting faction of Hydra who didn't want to infiltrate the Reich, but went with it. Red Skull then embraced Nazisim, and managed to make himself the sole leader of Hydra, whereas before it seems to have been more consensus driven by comitee. There was more than one Hydra faction, and the Red Skull just lost his Nazi one.

Now they have a Hydra councill killed Red Skull, and have Cap as their general tactician.

Oh an the woman Elisa Sinclair
is also some kind of eldritch disciple who has chtulu tentacle powers.

I don't know how Marvel could approve such a technically complicated event involving Nazis in this curent climate.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's all convoluted, but she was part of a dissenting faction of Hydra who didn't want to infiltrate the Reich, but went with it. Red Skull then embraced Nazisim, and managed to make himself the sole leader of Hydra, whereas before it seems to have been more consensus driven by comitee. There was more than one Hydra faction, and the Red Skull just lost his Nazi one.

Now they have a Hydra councill killed Red Skull, and have Cap as their general tactician.

Oh an the woman Elisa Sinclair
is also some kind of eldritch disciple who has chtulu tentacle powers.

I don't know how Marvel could approve such a technically complicated event involving Nazis in this curent climate.

There's nothing wrong with this story in the current climate (which was approved ages ago when no one thought Trump had a chance). It's a story and it isn't pushing Nazism as a good thing.

And they've created a mob with pitchforks on Twitter with people retweeting their headline and thinking that's what is happening.

This is the definition of the "fake news" issue.
Nope. We got news of it much earlier. They've just started to send out the PR now. They want stores to switch out their signs etc and convert to "Hydra Shops".

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Meanwhile, in 2017.

Sp2d5Rz.jpg

Cap also kills Red Skull for revenge for what he turned Hydra into.

Like, Spencer wants to tell this story, whatever, go ahead, but don't pussyfoot around Cap being a Nazi now. Oh, Hydra was just using the Nazis and has actually been around forever. Man, he's a Nazi, just commit to it to tell the story.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Real-talk: 'Dress up like Hydra' is something of an exaggeration, but while 'Secret Empire' is featured on the shirt, the main thing to look at is the HYDRA logo.

And while it may not be the green and yellow uniform, it's definitely saying 'go check out this book about HYDRA'. Which, to a lot of people, Marvel has failed to get the message across in that HYDRA =/= Nazis.

I'll admit the article is clickbait-y as all hell, sure, but in terms of optics, it's not entirely wrong either.

Yeah, only now I find myself curious on how, given the spoiler, the Red Skull managed to take over, even with his new(ish?) telepathy and the like.

Valtýr

The only part of this story that warrants any kind of actual anger is that Marvel isn't giving the shirts out for free. Everything else is standard marketing and branding. It would be no different to Disney leaning on the Empire aesthetic and branding a marketing campaign as such.

It's nonsense and skewed to be as anti-Marvel as possible.

The Kree

Banned
Like, Spencer wants to tell this story, whatever, go ahead, but don't pussyfoot around Cap being a Nazi now. Oh, Hydra was just using the Nazis and has actually been around forever. Man, he's a Nazi, just commit to it to tell the story.

They established that HYDRA predates the Nazis almost a decade ago. Spencer is just working with what's already there.

I swear, there's some sort of curse on Marvel whereby the harder their cinematic division succeeds, the harder their comics division has to fail to blow all the free publicity.

Kinyou

Should people also stop posting "Hail Hydra" for giggles? I get why people might not want to participate but it also doesn't seem all that outrageous.

Valtýr;234398375 said:
The only part of this story that warrants any kind of actual anger is that Marvel isn't giving the shirts out for free. Everything else is standard marketing and branding. It would be no different to Disney leaning on the Empire aesthetic and branding a marketing campaign as such.

It's nonsense and skewed to be as anti-Marvel as possible.
Yeah, that part is actually upsetting "pay us so you can promote our stuff"

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nope. We got news of it much earlier. They've just started to send out the PR now. They want stores to switch out their signs etc and convert to "Hydra Shops".

I'll try this again:

The headline says they want to them to dress like Hydra.

That is a lie. It is not true.

As for putting Hydra logos up, comic shops have been selling Hydra-branded merchandise for years. If a comic shop sells t-shirts, they have sold Hydra shirts in the past few years -- more blatant ones without being a logo for an event with the event's name on it.

This is only an issue because Bleeding Cool decided to put out a false headline.

Kurdel

Banned
There's nothing wrong with this story in the current climate (which was approved ages ago when no one thought Trump had a chance). It's a story and it isn't pushing Nazism as a good thing.

I am not lamenting the existence of Hydra Cap, but rather the lengths they had to go to explain it all.

And even then, on clickbait article riles up the outrage from the rest of the people who didn't follow the storyline.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Why are people equating hydra to Nazis? In Marvel's AoS hydra existed long before the Nazis.

To be fair, they also specifically stated they are Nazis like two weeks ago.

Trying to separate Hydra from Nazis is silly. But this specific "controversy" is manufactured by Bleeding Cool.

The fact that they decided to quote an actual Nazi on Twitter saying he thinks the idea is cool makes it clear that this is a hit piece on Marvel. It's tabloid bullshit.

stupei

The reason the whole "Hydra aren't really Nazis" thing doesn't fly is because the link with Nazism -- that Marvel actively works to establish when convenient -- is the reason Hydra is such a big deal in the mainstream understanding. It's only so very shocking to even the casual non-comic reader to hear that Cap is working with Hydra because people know that Hydra = Nazis.

You can't cash in on that connection to make your event extra headline grabbing and then also deny the link's existence when people point out that it makes promoting that branding super sketchy.

As if people don't already wear Hydra t-shirts in real life, or t-shirts of wrestling heels, or Decepticons, or Sith Lords, etc. I find it offensive that we have to blur the lines now and act like wearing a Hydra shirt is being a real Nazi.

Slayven

To be fair, they also specifically stated they are Nazis like two weeks ago.

Trying to separate Hydra from Nazis is silly. But this specific "controversy" is manufactured by Bleeding Cool.

The fact that they decided to quote an actual Nazi on Twitter saying he thinks the idea is cool makes it clear that this is a hit piece on Marvel. It's tabloid bullshit.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/?s=diversity

A causal look at Bleeding cool will tell you what they are about

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Was expecting fascist uniforms, came in to see the usual shame tarps.

The only story here is shops having to buy them. That's an easy way of not getting people to do it. Why even offer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom