• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Want Comic Store Staff To Dress Like Hydra During Secret Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Not even close to the same thing. We've all dressed up as villains at one point in our lives, or cheered them in pro Wrestling/drama television, the 'real life' equivalent of Marvel comics. Marvel choosing to humanize the organization of mustache-twirling villains (who are largely notorious due to their contribution to a real life tragedy) via Captain America, changes the way that Hydra is perceived.

They aren't humanizing the organization. Secret Empire is an anti-fascist story about the Avengers taking down Hydra.

Wasn't my intention to say that it couldn't also be some of that, but I'd put money that some of this is certainly due to some combination of wanting a 'shock' factor, both with Cap as an individual (and Marvel being concerned about sales), and the turmoil of the current political climate.

The reveal came out almost a year ago and had be planned longer than that... this end game has been in work long before Trump was even an actual possibility.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hydra and Cap are some of the main characters... it's not different then if a big Empire Star Wars comic came out and Marvel asked folks to wear the Empire logo...

While I'm admittedly not entirely sure how well Star Wars comics actually are promoted

Hydra is linked (like it or not, which Marvel is clearly trending towards the latter) to the Nazis. The 'real life' Nazis murdered over 6 million real people.

The Empire did a lot of heinous shit, sure, but there's much more degrees of separation between blowing up a planet 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away', and stuff that happened here on Earth, in our history.

The reveal came out almost a year ago and had be planned longer than that... this end game has been in work long before Trump was even an actual possibility.

Populism and nationalist sentiment was alive and well a year ago, or even before.

I'll agree in that I don't think this was explicitly planned around Trump or anything, but they're certainly not shying away from it now either. (Not trying to claim a moral high ground in saying they can't, mind, I understand the business logistics underneath it all - just as they have to live with the optics)

If Lucasfilm put out a Star Wars movie about the empire taking over in a way that ran closely parallel to the recent presidential election and to promote it asked all of the movie theater operators to dress as space fascists and decorated all of the movie theaters with space fascist paraphernalia then they would be rightfully derided for the same reasons Marvel is being derided right now.

If Lucasfilm put out a Star Wars movie about the empire taking over in a way that ran closely parallel to the recent presidential election and to promote it asked all of the movie theater operators to dress as space fascists and decorated all of the movie theaters with space fascist paraphernalia then they would be rightfully derided for the same reasons Marvel is being derided right now.

It's a t-shirt with the Event name on it... and a logo they've sold for ages....

They shouldn't support this because it's extremely dumb of Marvel to ask them to pay for shirts to market their product, but some of you are going off the deep end with thinking that wearing a fictional villainous groups logo on your shirt is some terrible affront.

Seriously, some of you need a reality check. You really blur the lines between enjoying fiction and how it relates to the real world.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

theres cosmic cube shenanigans behind trumps win?

Kurdel

Banned
also an eldritch abomination is responsible for grooming Trump behind the scenes

actually that sounds like Bannon

Chuck Tingle has all the answers little one

CxVUox3UsAA8kJ6.jpg

C57ly91U8AAXgkd.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If you read enough George Lucas interviews you will find that the likes to change his mind every time he talks. He was clearly going for Rome in the original Star Wars. The only similarities they had to Nazis were visual.
Rome? What?

The Empire has always been space nazis, no idea where you got this Rome idea from.

You can't just wave your hand and disentangle decades of association with Nazism.
We are talking about a medium where the devil handwaved away an entire planet knowing Peter Parker was Spider-Man.

Handwaving shit away is the exact kind of fuckery comic books are known for. It's a universe that constantly mixes things like technology, magic, and intergalactic space beings. If you aren't into that then the medium is not your cup of tea.

MC Safety

Rome? What?

The Empire has always been space nazis, no idea where you got this Rome idea from.

Not every dictatorship is representative of Nazism.

Maybe he got the idea from the Roman republic collapsing and giving way to the dictatorship of the Caesars.

Einchy

Not every dictatorship is representative of Nazism.

Maybe he got the idea from the Roman republic collapsing and giving way to the dictatorship of the Caesars.

It has nothing to do with dictatorships, the Empire are just Nazis plane and simple. Like, Empire = Nazis is a known fact that has been the case since 1977, it's baffling that people are actually trying to argue against something so clear.

[edit]

More so when he's quoting an article talking about how George models the Empire after Nazis and he just handwaves it away by saying George changes his mind a lot. An article posted on the official Star Wars website written about the guy who created Star Wars.

DeathyBoy

Banned
We are talking about a medium where the devil handwaved away an entire planet knowing Peter Parker was Spider-Man.

Handwaving shit away is the exact kind of fuckery comic books are known for. It's a universe that constantly mixes things like technology, magic, and intergalactic space beings. If you aren't into that then the medium is not your cup of tea.

Don't bother. You have people saying Secret Empire is the worst thing Marvel has ever done. After they've read the fucking prologue issue.

I really don't think these people actually read comics if they think this is in the top fifty dumb things Marvel's done.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Like, Spencer wants to tell this story, whatever, go ahead, but don't pussyfoot around Cap being a Nazi now. Oh, Hydra was just using the Nazis and has actually been around forever. Man, he's a Nazi, just commit to it to tell the story.

he's just trying to make us ashamed for our words and deeds. give him some time; he'll figure it out!

Nazis have more real world connotations for people than whether Earth-616 knows Spider-Man's secret identity.

I really don't think these people actually read comics if they think this is in the top fifty dumb things Marvel's done.

I've read comics on a weekly basis for thirteen years now.

Nazis have more real world connotations for people than whether Earth-616 knows Spider-Man's secret identity.

I've read comics on a weekly basis for thirteen years now.
Yes, but nothing relating to Hydra and their relation to Nazis is real. They're a fictional group with a fictional relation to a real world group. Saying they can't change the relationships of a fictional group is asinine because the relationship never actually existed in the first place. They're not changing real world history by doing any of what they're doing.

Marvel doing this means equally as much to the real world as the devil erasing the entire world of Spider-Man's secret identity did. They both have zero effect to anyone who can parse out reality from fiction.

Fury451

Banned
It's just a shitty promo shirt. Lots of places from movie theaters to game and comic stores have these for employees.

It even says SECRET EMPIRE on the front to signify it's a shitty promo shirt, so it's not even like they're Hydra sympathizer shirts. I really don't get the issue.

This is no different than people who wear Star Wars shirts with Galactic Empire/Imperial iconography on them, because they were Nazi allegories too.

The First Order were about as unsubtle about it as possible too, and people still buy the merchandise.

star-wars-7-stormtroopers-image-slice-600x200.jpg

Edit: Well I see I'm hardly the first to make the comparison. I guess I could argue that it's tone deaf, but I doubt that was anything related to their intention.

Don't bother. You have people saying Secret Empire is the worst thing Marvel has ever done. After they've read the fucking prologue issue.

Secret Empire's got nothing on Avengers #200

It has nothing to do with dictatorships, the Empire are just Nazis plane and simple. Like, Empire = Nazis is a known fact that has been the case since 1977, it's baffling that people are actually trying to argue against something so clear.

[edit]

More so when he's quoting an article talking about how George models the Empire after Nazis and he just handwaves it away by saying George changes his mind a lot. An article posted on the official Star Wars website written about the guy who created Star Wars.

No, the Empire and the plot of the first Star Wars movie was explicitly patterned after the Roman empire. It's not even remotely subtle. I'm not sure how you could miss this. I'm not saying he didn't take some aspects of the Nazis, but the framework of Star Wars has ALWAYS been about how a republic turned into a dictatorship in almost exactly the same way it happened in Rome with some space fantasy thrown in.

And George does change his mind all the time. You can find interviews where he brings up Rome as well. That article is pretty weak anyway, it cites one line from a DVD commentary, and it's not even a line that contradicts anything I've said.

Einchy

No, the Empire and the plot of the first Star Wars movie was explicitly patterned after the Roman empire. It's not even remotely subtle. I'm not sure how you could miss this. I'm not saying he didn't take some aspects of the Nazis, but the framework of Star Wars has ALWAYS been about how a republic turned into a dictatorship in almost exactly the same way it happened in Rome with some space fantasy thrown in.

And George does change his mind all the time. You can find interviews where he brings up Rome as well. That article is pretty weak anyway, it cites one line from a DVD commentary, and it's not even a line that contradicts anything I've said.

You're talking about the prequels, when the Empire wasn't really a thing. You can't say the Empire, which are space Nazis, aren't space Nazis because of the political plotlines in the prequels, when the Empire as we know it, didn't even exist.

The Empire from the OT and its connotation, The First Order, are plane out Nazis and have nothing to do with Rome.

Like, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhHl2DpD4E

How is that just some "aspects of Nazis", that's straight up Hiter.

You're talking about the prequels, when the Empire wasn't really a thing. You can't say the Empire, which are space Nazis, aren't space Nazis because of the political plotlines in the prequels, when the Empire as we know it, didn't even exist.

The Empire from the OT and its connotation, The First Order, are plane out Nazis and have nothing to do with Rome.

Like, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPhHl2DpD4E

How is that just some "aspects of Nazis", that's straight up Hiter.

I'm talking about the first Star Wars movie. The movie actually has very little exposition but a great deal of it is dedicated to talking about how there was a great republic before the emperor took control. Some of the very first dialogue in the movie is about how Princess Leia is a senator on a diplomatic mission and how they can't keep her prisoner for long because the senate will disapprove. Again, not subtle.

Einchy

I'm talking about the first Star Wars movie. The movie actually has very little exposition but a great deal of it is dedicated to talking about how there was a great republic before the emperor took control. Some of the very first dialogue in the movie is about how Princess Leia is a senator on a diplomatic mission and how they can't keep her prisoner for long because the senate will disapprove. Again, not subtle.

You know what else isn't subtle about Star Wars? That the Empire are Space Nazis.

Kinyou

If you read enough George Lucas interviews you will find that the likes to change his mind every time he talks. He was clearly going for Rome in the original Star Wars. The only similarities they had to Nazis were visual.
What about the empire being basically racist against Aliens? In the movies you don't see any aliens being stormtroopers or other positions of their army.

MC Safety

What about the empire being basically racist against Aliens? In the movies you don't see any aliens being stormtroopers or other positions of their army.

I apologize for my role in this.

I just popped in to ask if Captain America was evil.

And now I am suggesting you only saw a very small portion of a very large Empire. But if you believe the lore, Grand Admiral Thrawn wasn't human.

IrishNinja

Bleedingcool is the Breitbart of comic news

It's a fucking t-shirt

this is really all that needed to be said, but here we are

That's not a hydra uniform

This is a hydra uniform

i love that image cause it fits their ability to quickly surrender to anyone with moderate fighting skills
also see: AIM

Is the Trump Presidency a Secret Empire promotion?

D E E P L O R E
E
E
P
L
O
R
E

Fitz straight up said hydra was going to MAGA in the newest episode of agents of shield... the one where they are trying to escape a virtual world where hydra has taken over and turned America into a fascist, police state. The comparison to Trump isn't veiled.

it's not, but i do think we're stretching a bit with this promo as pro-nazi

The Hydra story is convoluted, but they didn't work for Hitler either.

While this is (moreso now) true with the retcons Spencer's story has been telling, that doesn't stop people from feeling like this.

Marvel either doesn't see, or doesn't care that a lot of people aren't going to make the connection.....because of all the history Cap has, not only with Hydra but with the Nazis they were in bed with.

Some of that is probably due to The First Avenger movie, sure, but even aside from that, there's almost 80 years of Cap being super anti-fascism, which encompasses both Hydra and the Nazis in peoples' minds.

true, and Marvel Agents is rebuffing that, as well as MCU - but from reading the book (where cap kills skull for nazis messing up hydra's vision) you get that it's something else, though no doubt fascist

tumblr_omggfuU7DI1r4pq4io3_1280.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from the other thread.

this reminds me, i meant to go back & read more of Byrne's run

Man if they did the crossing today, folks would burn Marvel HQ to the ground

i mean, maybe we should've then, though... that event was kinda awful

https://www.bleedingcool.com/?s=diversity

A causal look at Bleeding cool will tell you what they are about

#factsonly

Wasn't marvel branded SJWs

yes, but to be fair, that's a recent trend - they've only been left-leaning and included messages of social justice since damn near their inception

The vast majority of Marvel Comics is liberal-slanted. Like, heavily.

No, they are not trying to "fix that" by putting out t-shirts with a Hydra logo for a Hydra-themed event. Just like they weren't trying to "fix that" when they put out a storm of Hydra merchandise after Winter Soldier hit.

right but that doesn't make for a great bleedingool byline & thread of mostly drive-by posts

I mean, I get it. I'd be mad as hell if there was actual Nazi sympathizing going on, but this isn't that.

couldn't agree more

ryseing

It's also worth noting that the cinematography in SW was directly inspired by Triumph of the Will. Perhaps the origin of the Empire was meant to be Rome-esque, but the way it is presented is straight Nazi.

I apologize for my role in this.

I just popped in to ask if Captain America was evil.

And now I am suggesting you only saw a very small portion of a very large Empire. But if you believe the lore, Grand Admiral Thrawn wasn't human.

It is mentioned repeatedly that Thrawn is the exception due to his brilliance. In Old EU he was the only nonhuman Grand Admiral.

Branduil

Whoever the fuck thought that making people dress up as Nazis to promote comic books is a good idea should be fired and never allowed to work in comics again.

Dalek

Talk about making mountains out of molehills.

Should people in Darth Vader t shirts be beaten on sight now?

I must have missed a Star Wars film where the Empire traveled into the future and helped Hitler, at this point there's no other explanation for these comparisons that would otherwise be totally disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom