• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Retrofluxed

Holy fucking hype. Wow, I can't not wait to pull people around and use them as shields. Everything looked great, smooth and fun.

DesertFox

Finally, Bioware gives me a reason to give a serious fuck about this game.

RPG-wise, this looks significantly better that pretty much every other game in the series except perhaps Mass Effect 1.

Now I am actually considering on paying full price for this.

The game releases soon. His/hers is a very valid question to ask.

Still doesn't answer the question in my post. What are your hopes for a long cut of unedited gameplay? What fears are you hoping will be assuaged by a longer video? Again, I don't mean that as an attack against the poster or to defend the developer. I'm just genuinely curious what people are hoping to see that hasn't already been demonstrated.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
After watching again, cloak was getting used pretty frequently at the big combat section.

While it's likely an 'end-game' build with CDR built in and the like, in order to show things off, it still bodes well for being 'more' viable compared to pure combat builds.

I'm honestly curious on how the jump-jets will be utilized in terms of fuel, cooldown, etc....it's pretty crazy to have an alternative to charge which lets you zip around like that.

And on a sidenote, good on them for showing both Ryders.

MartyStu

Clunky as hell?

It looks good, Fast-paced, smooth movement and cover and lots of options. Hovering and boosting is great, much better than the dodge roll.

I imagine he means if the series had evolved more in line with Mass Effect 1 as opposed to essentially reinventing itself with Mass Effect 2.

Sou Da

This isn't mentioned in the video but according to one of the devs the Milky Way weapons don't have to be ammo based. You can mod them with an item called the "vintage heat sink" that turns them back into overheat based weapons.

That looked real promising! Cool to see some of the changes to some "classic" Mass Effect moves in this. Will preorder this and either Horizon or MLB next week for that PSN $15 back deal.

MartyStu

Still doesn't answer the question in my post. What are your hopes for a long cut of unedited gameplay? What fears are you hoping will be assuaged by a longer video? Again, I don't mean that as an attack against the poster or to defend the developer. I'm just genuinely curious what people are hoping to see that hasn't already been demonstrated.

The flow of battle and general encounter design? Level design? Quest design?

I mean, I do not want to be rude, but that all seems pretty obvious,

diaspora

Finally, Bioware gives me a reason to give a serious fuck about this game.

RPG-wise, this looks significantly better that pretty much every other game in the series except perhaps Mass Effect 1.

Now I am actually considering on paying full price for this.

The game releases soon. His/hers is a very valid question to ask.
I mean, RPG-wise it looks like it blows ME1 out of the water like ME3 did.

Jibbed

Really hoping the next one of these videos is focused on the new characters, races, locations etc.

It's great that the combat looks so fun but that's not why I'm invested in Mass Effect.

Very cool

Love that we finally see the raw damage numbers on the weapons

Also, very cool we can do the pull and throw the pulled enemy, something only possible in ME1 (well lift not pull)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looking good. I'm definitely interested in learning more about the profiles, favorites and especially squad commands/powers.

Toa Axis

This is the first footage of the game that's truly left me impressed. Starting to feel more optimistic about things.

Mifune

Mehmber

Not directed at me but...I want to see an entire mission played out, from the ship to exploration to combat to dialogue. Just a taste of what the actual gameplay loop is like. This combat vid is fine but I might as well be looking at a multiplayer vid. It doesn't really tell me anything about the whole Andromeda experience.

Combat looks really fun, love the cover system changes. Only disappointment is the female PC model, it looks just so weird still and absolutely nothing like the actual person its modeled after. I played ME1-3 as FemShep but I will be playing ME4 as Male Ryder.

Stealth + melee swords looks AWESOME. Love how enemies duck and bob if you try to sniper them, that looks like it'll be annoying as hell.

I wonder how much better the Pro PS4 version will be than PS4. I could buy on PC or PS4, but I think i'll stick with PS4 at release so I can trade in when done, and rebuy PC later on when DLCs come out.

I wish they'd release a ME 1-3 remaster :(

Hixx

Unless I'm crazy, It was in there, you saw it briefly right before it 'cut' to a cutscene of FemRyder and crew diving for cover close to the end.

edit: at 5:08 in the video, yeah, it's there.

They used it a ton in this video, what do you mean?

Charge was in a previous video. It's in.

It was there right @ the start https://youtu.be/HrWgLMH8yRU?t=5s

I am ill pls forgive my blindness.

It looks pretty great. I hope there are mobile enemies just like you that create some interesting fights. The combat sandbox where you're zipping around destroying people looks fun, but having some mobile fights would be really awesome.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looks like planets will included environmental hazards as well. So we'll probably need to get suits that mitigate the effects of that or just manage our time outside of the Nomad.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
yeah looks really good, really like the idea of picking the skills & abilities I want rather than being stuck in a class I might decide i might not like after 5 hours.

Will multiplayer still be classes though? That was a big part of the unlock grind in ME3.

Yes, please.

l73uhHx.gif

MartyStu

I mean, RPG-wise it looks like it blows ME1 out of the water like ME3 did.

ME3's RPG elements are much better than ME1's, but they are also much simpler.

This game seems to be much closer than the complexity of ME1--which itself is streamlined for an RPG--with less of the poor design and jank.

TeamGizzy

Banned
Looks great! Day one. But damnit. Fem Ryder still looks like absolute shit. Like something out of a completely different game that they just mashed her into.

diaspora

ME3's RPG elements are much better than ME1's, but they are also much simpler.

This game seems to be much closer than the complexity of ME1--which itself is streamlined for an RPG--with less of the poor design and jank.

ME1 wasn't complex as much as it was broad. Andromeda's RPG mechanics look as broad as 1's with the depth of 3's.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
This isn't mentioned in the video but according to one of the devs the Milky Way weapons don't have to be ammo based. You can mod them with an item called the "vintage heat sink" that turns them back into overheat based weapons.

Yeeeeeeesssssss.

Also, incidentally noted that they're copying over the DA:I 'weapon rarity' system. I'm a bit leery of this style, but hopefully it comes across better here. DA:I crafted gear was either terrible at the start, or the most OP at the end with end-game mats.

Shredderi

Shooting from cover still looks boring. It was in previous ME games. I can't even think about playing as anything other than a Vanguard with a shotgun or something. That was the only to enjoy the combat in ME2 and ME3 for me, and I suspect it will be the same here as well. I just didn't enjoy sniping and cloaking at all in ME style battles. You basically fight in arenas in these games and frenetic melee combat is really the only thing that works for me in arena layouts. It does look smooth so I guess vanguard style will be even better than before.

Top Bottom